Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

AARO posted:

I've been reading about some studies and meta-analysis on anti depressant medications. There have been many studies over the years that prove that modern anti-depressant medications preform no better than placebo with mild to moderate depression and only slightly better than placebo with severe depression. Yet they give these drugs out like candy to anyone who comes to them feeling sad about life, despite all the harmful side effects. It has been proven time and time again that SSRI's can cause suicidal idealization in patients, along with a host of other more common unpleasant side effects. And even the patients taking the placebo can experience unpleasant side effects called the "nocebo effect" (although this is rare and largely misunderstood.) The people who are receiving relief from SSRI or other drugs are largely just psychosomatically "curing themselves." This is not science. It needs to change.

It seems to me that we should stop proscribing these anti-depressant drugs, except for maybe in the most extreme cases. I feel that psychiatry is in its infancy and many of the treatments of today will be looked upon as absolute quackery by future generations.

You didn't take your doses did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

AARO posted:

You lazy research vampires can go ahead and find the studies I'm talking about yourselves that prove these contentions. What I'm saying seems to be totally non-controversial. It's only the application of the studies which are not presently being taking into account.

Bipolar Type I

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
AARO listen to your doctors. I know you feel good right now but its pretty clear you are afaid and looking to educate yourself made you think you found a revelation, ala you were scared of vaccines so did some googling and now think you know its a scam.

Don't be afraid of your condition.

• Locked thread