Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

OwlFancier posted:

I cannot say the negative experiences in my life have at all contributed to my ability to enjoy the positive ones. If anything they've had the opposite effect.

Well clearly you just didn't have enough faith.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
There's also the problem that if we can't know if some instance of suffering is serving some greater purpose then whether we should do anything to prevent it gets tricky.

Like if someone is engaging in say, genocide, should we do something about it or is it God's will to let it happen to teach us a lesson somehow.

e: which may just be restating the above post, but anyway. :shrug:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Vindicator posted:

In what way? Experiences are not infallible indicators. We know that humans are notoriously prone to flawed assumptions about their experiences. Are we suddenly pretending that's not the case?

If by "suddenly" you mean "the entirety of human history" then yes, we've all along been expected to just accept whatever dumbass thing someone claims they saw / heard / smelled / felt that is unassailable proof of divine influence.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

OwlFancier posted:

No you're using it correctly, I just haven't ever really understood how it is possible to satisfy a belief in a prime mover, if you believe that everything has a cause then so must have the thing at the front of the chain. And if some things can just be exempt from cause, then that can be assigned to anything.

Basically either you believe in a causal universe, and thus the concept of a prime mover should be anathema to you, or you don't believe in a causal universe in which case you don't need a prime mover anyway.

The concept of a prime mover negates the argument that brings it forth. Arguing that everything has to have a cause therefore there was one thing that didn't doesn't make any sense, and it didn't make any more sense when Thomas Aquinas said it.

Plus if you want to be a dick skeptic dick you can insert any number of mad scientists / sufficiently advanced aliens creating a universe in a lab.

• Locked thread