Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Were you raised in a Christian tradition? I think it would be hard to go looking for God without preconceptions if you grew up in the west.

What about all the beliefs humans have in common? The Anthropocene is a BFD whether you think there is a creator or not. One way or another human schemes end up humbled by the big other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

I don't understand.

Global Modernity, whether or not it needed Columbus and Christianity to come into being, signifies a different kind of human responsibility for the environment - if we want to survive and also have nice things like clean water and electricity we have to be very smart - but our lack of foresight will likely catch up with us (climate change, overpopulation, antibiotic resistance, etc)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Oh, I think I get what you are saying, that instead of finding God you might discover your role in the future of humanity. I'm not sure how that affects my question though. It was specifically directed at Griffen.

Does humanity have a future? Everything we imagine these days seems to be from our past. One Age is ending - and another is beginning.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3s2McWxRRQ

We will be who we will be. We are our choices.

http://tolweb.org/tree/

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

nah, you've over played your hand now

It really does make sense to me in a lot of ways - I'm not going to put my whole life story in a post - but I really have faith in this message I am trying to relay to you as best I can, and maybe it can make sense to you. I know I'm only human plugging away here but there is something sinister about the potential of transhumanism in the future.

I'm not talking about some surgery one undergoes or a change of name/identity - although that could be a sign of things to come (and a counterfeit). I'm talking about the transhumanism of people wanting to 'upload' minds into computers and other ways of treating other humans like robots (just another word for slave). Augmented reality is part of this. We must first be humans who are humbled before God instead of an outlook as amoral immortal replicators.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Why is transhumanism and augmented reality sinister to you? Does this include, say, cochlear implants or potential future artificial eyes for the blind or the severely vision impaired (such as myself). What about replacing failing organs with artificial ones? You've mentioned these things before but can't seem to tell us anything more specific than "technology bad, God good".

Edit:

On a scale of 1-10 how satanic is Pokémon: GO?

I would say it is a 6 or 7.

Healing the sick is a good - no one asks to be brought into this world and no one should suffer excessively- especially now that humans have enormous powers to help one another in that manner. When he left earth Jesus declared that his disciples would 'take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.' This has caused some confusion over the past 2000 years but would the modern world (and modern medicine) exist as we know it without the God of Abraham? Maybe those who directly witnessed the resurrection were given a gift of 'psychic' powers over physiology and chemistry - but like other emanations over time it became diluted and now has a different form.

The real issue is in yourself - do you want to live forever (either physically and or digitally) in this world, wielding power over others, pursuing a godhood of a sort - or will you accept that your body, spirit, and mind exist at the mercy of God?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Yes. Modern medicine is based on observation and experimentation, not divine intervention.

The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that ferments bread. So many things that are so small and so fast - you couldn't even be sure they happened at all.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Sounds like you're a lovely baker.

I'm trying to make an illustration to you about microbiology and the chemical/material miracle of life. But is it surprising to see God's message get such abuse directed at it these days? It's a fast, cheap, out of control world I suppose.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ What circumstances created Louis Pasteur? The same chain of events leading to and stemming from the crucifixion of Christ, the prophecy of Muhammad, and much more.

The Belgian posted:

The first one.

Sure, that is your choice. But such a lesser, material god is still only as permanent as this universe. Humans have full dominion over the Earth now - this stewardship time, this test, is both the beginning and the end of an age.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Conceivable != Actual

The Belgian posted:

Universe is pretty permanent.

To humans, sure - so is the sun and planet earth. Consider creationism, materialism, and emmanationism - what if, like the holy trinity, all three are 'true'.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God gives you free will to believe and worship what you like. I feel these free will and origin of evil problems can be answered to one's satisfaction if you look at what Do and his classroom had to say. But you have the ability to make up your mind - that is with you as long as you exist. Is it better to rule in hell or serve in heaven? A machine shop that makes tanks and guns can just as easily make tractors and washing machines.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

And as I've previous mentioned he also randomly takes it away.

That depends on your perspective and your understanding that you are not your vehicle. This planet at this time could be considered as a hell/prison/rehab center.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Why would such a thing be necessary?

Because God made a universe that creates life with free will and the ability to oppose Him.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Unless you are willing to accept the Diary of Anne Frank as equally divine, I don't think this is a concrete argument.

I am. The Bible can be considered as a 'history book'.

quote:

What in the gently caress are you saying? That the disciples invented penicillin?

No, I'm saying something special happened 2000 years ago that convinced lots of people and changed the course of history. The chain of events leading to this very moment should be all the proof you need. Lobbing insults at the creator and saying a human 'discovered' or 'invented' something in nature illuminates a certain arrogance.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ Let go, Luke.

Who What Now posted:

Likewise saying humans can't do anything and giving all credit to God for what humans worked hard to achieve for themselves illuminates a distressing lack of worth placed on your fellow man.

I don't shy away from the label of misanthrope. If you don't have a disdain for the material world you really can't be a disciple of Christ. You also have to think about the difference between being 'mean spirited' and 'good natured'. I think we can agree that humans didn't will themselves into existence, life worked its way up from dust one way or the other.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Where are you getting these estimates from? Are you saying it was worse than modern atrocities? Or comparable?

Oh I agree for sure but it's still a funny in a dark humor kind of way. In GOT the general idea is that God doesn't give a poo poo and being smart and sneaky instead of just and righteous keeps you alive. Kind of like how things probably were back then and are now.

Most Christians believe in the LITERAL TRUTH or pick and choose passages to be true. Suddenly now gays are ok in the bible because if they aren't then Christianity becomes obsolete. Or how it's ok to setup a Starbucks and banks in churches because that story of a camel walking through an eye of a needle is just saying it's hard to get into heaven. Jesus was just kidding about moneylenders. Also rich people are closer to god instead of poor ones because they're rewarded by god for their success.

The whole thing is pretty funny to me. McDowell's comments are probably my favorite since there's a strong sense of scrambling and escapism behind his words.

I'm not scrambling for anything, the responses to what I am trying to tell you don't surprise me at all. You have the right idea about how all religions are less than truth because churches are constructs of the human world. I am trying to direct you to other stepping stones on the path of Truth- which is a living, changing thing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hale Bopp would have been in the living memory of people around Hippocrates, if not Hippocrates himself.

quote:

And this can just as easily be done the other way around: events of 1000 years before the crucifixion lead up to it, so those events must be special?

Yup

You can get an idea of this by looking at the 'Prophets' from Star Trek Deep Space 9 or watching Interstellar. It isn't linear.

quote:

If Jesus had been gay you'd think he could have spared a second to mention that it's not cool to attack, kill, or oppress homosexuals.

Maybe he did but over the years it got discarded for political reasons. There is no sex in the next level, if you actually want to go there you must have no appetite for those activities and that 'drug'.

'At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.'

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 13, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What would our world look like if antimatter had 'outcompeted' matter after the 'big bang'?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Time Travel, this is still a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHyEFefqAIk

If you think about the relationship between John Connor and Skynet that is a stepping stone to unraveling the 'problem of evil'. The yin and yang is another way of seeing it.

Who What Now posted:

Why does this matter?

Why don't you believe in God?

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 13, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

why is anyone attempting to debate with the guy who's gimmick is "some sort of schizo disorder with a lot lazy talk about god on top" that literally started out posting in this thread using a video from a suicide cult that thought they going to float up to a ufo that's also a comet or some idiot bullshit?

Please look at their message instead of listening to that nasty voice. Their mission is over (and part of that is the whole 'it had to happen this way' thing that Jesus wrestles with) with the clickbait of a mass suicide (One Weird Way to get to Heaven - You won't BELIEVE this). While the website exists and the videos are on youtube you can make up your own mind. If it doesn't make sense to you it wasn't 'for' you and that is fine - but at least listen - these people were not Daesh.

Funny enough this film came out in 1997:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRoj3jK37Vc

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 13, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Why is it funny it came out in 1997?

That was when the Next Level was closest to this world and left the strongest evidence, the clearest 'signal', possible at this time. The rest is a 'leap of faith' - which has always been the formula for developing beyond human.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

The film is based on a Carl Sagan novel that came out in 1985.

Ti and Do's classroom began in 1975.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

What is the "next level" and what strong evidence did it leave?

I am trying to tell you, but truly only you can answer that question to your own satisfaction. This vehicle is still a virgin which is one reason I am able to speak through it and act as a 'relay' working to overcome the interference of this body and environment. If you have been 'left behind' like me one of the first tests is learning not to be bitter about one's part in God's plan. There will be another classroom in the 'distant' future for those who 'keep the faith'.

"This is like a man that goes on a trip and leaves his house. The man lets his servants take care of the house. He gives each servant a special job to do. One servant has the work of guarding the door. The man tells this servant to always be ready. This is the same as I am now telling you. So you must always be ready. You don't know when the owner of the house will come back. He might come in the afternoon, or at midnight, or in the early morning, or when the sun rises. The owner might come back quickly. If you are always ready, then he will not find you sleeping."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Now it really just sounds like you're trying to justify to yourself why you can't get laid.

You can look at it that way, you can also say I've bought into a 'death cult narrative' - but that outlook is limiting oneself to a hollow, material existence.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

What's wrong with a material existence?

Also, please don't actually kill yourself.

It isn't 'wrong' it just isn't 'everything' - Do tries to illustrate this as being 'God's astronaut program' - if you want to leave Earth it takes discipline and hard work. There's no rush to leave this body, this world might even 'progress' enough that euthanasia will be legal and nontaboo in the foreseeable future. But this planet is in bad shape and such an option can serve the opposition - so be aware of the philosophical 'packaging' it comes in. Don't be :sad:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

And if I'm really lucky medical science will allow my brain to live on in a cyborg body long after my original meat body is old and decrepit.

If that is what you really want to work for God isn't going to deny it to you. But I can see you now at the 'big crunch' or 'heat death', still here, cursing the one who made you.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1 posted:

I have to admit that this is refreshing after years of McDowell's old shtick of claiming every bit of news coming out of the ME is a sign of the impending nuclear Armageddon.

The awakening of this vehicle has taken some time and recognizing the recycling process is a big part of that.

Here is an interesting Bertrand Russell video:

https://youtu.be/0F6J8o7AAe8

He was pretty sympathetic to Gnosticism.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 13, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'Men going their own way' certainly could be seen as a counterfeit of the real overcoming message. There was substantial misinformation that went out at the time of the classroom's departure that all the dropped vehicles were males - but if you look at the video records you'll see this was not the case at all.

quote:

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

You could say this is 'Rust Cohle Christianity' - marriage and creating a child are not to be taken lightly.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonshirt posted:

I told you so, jerk!

What do you believe in?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jizz Festival posted:

Can you at least masturbate in heaven, McDowell? This is sounding awful.

You wouldn't want or need to. I'm still human so I understand how that can make you hesitate. Heaven isn't a TV and an EZ-chair made from clouds - it is a place of joyful service. In 'Beyond Human' there is brief mention that there may be a level above the next, which could involve going completely outside this universe - but that isn't for us to concern ourselves with here on Earth.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Wait, do you think heaven is in space, inside the universe?

You think it isn't or could not be? The sky has always been 'The Heavens'. We only perceive linear time and particular forms of matter/energy - consider how our sense of passing time is completely dependent on a gravitational field.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

If this is true then if humanity ever becomes a space-faring race we're going to find and conquer heaven. This sounds rad as gently caress. Now I do want to live forever so I can lead my space marines in glorious battle and charge against the pearly gates.

If those ideas appeal to you sure, but know that is the opposition's outlook.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Perhaps you should rethink your service to the Demiurge and pursue true understanding.

The Demiurge / Lucifer is the one building an army, pursuing stronger (less perishable) bodies, and offering 'cosmic consciousness'. The Kingdom of Heaven is never aggressive and there are many stepping stones to get there, they don't need humans - they welcome us as prodigal sons.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Reveilled posted:

On the contrary, cosmic conciousness is yet another flavour of the same scam that the order spirit always offers: "Obey me and cheat death".

I'm not trying to cheat death, I could be considered 'suicidal' in Next Level terms because I am still on this planet, risking dissolution of the mind back into raw spirit material if that is deemed necessary. This Discordian ideology is interesting, I could be wrong but it seems like the mindset of Luciferians who have surrendered to their inevitable 'disorder' at the end of the universe - even a clever way to play possum and gather followers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-15KBICWiQ

quote:

I'll try to just put it as briefly as I can and as clearly as I can. This planet is about to be recycled, refurbished, started over. That doesn't mean it's going to be destroyed, it doesn't mean it's the end of the world. But it does mean that it is going to be spaded under. Now, you can say, "Well, who are you to say that?" And I'll tell you who I am. As to whether or not you believe who I am is up to you. And whether or not you believe that this civilization is going to be recycled or refurbished is up to you. Now, the purpose of this tape is to warn you that this is about to happen, and that it's going to happen very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7H00OUf1lA

quote:

Now, I've got to go back to the beginning of this tape, because I don't want you to listen to my philosophy, my ideology, the knowledge that I have. I want you to be aware that the focus is on the fact that this is the End of the Age. At the End of the Age the planet is wiped clean - refurbished - rejuvenated. The mess that the humans have made of it during this civilization is cleaned up. It is healed. It is probably done on "fast forward." It probably wouldn't take very long to do it by standards of human time. But even if it took a thousand years to do it, that's a very brief time according to Next Level time. We don't know how long it's going to take to do it. We can't estimate that because we're talking two different times anyhow. I mean, I'm trying to relate to you in human time and yet I am more at home in relating to the time of the Next Level.

The USA invasion of Iraq started 6 years after the class departed - it is also around my vehicle's birthday.

The Recycling process does not necessarily have to be an agonizing or fearsome event, however the bulk of human history suggests otherwise. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

So what are you going to do when this world isn't recycled?

It's happening in one form or another. Some people believe HIV is God* punishing humans for the Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll - but with Zika isn't that a fulfillment of the Pope's advice not to breed like rabbits - a condemnation of people who have schemes to outbreed the others?

It is a fact that we are in a new geologic age - Anthropocene

*HIV and other STIs have been present in human populations for a long time and we have just recently obtained the power and discipline to understand and create pandemics.

Zizek briefly mentions Fukushima and the human history of mass migrations. Stay Woke

• Locked thread