Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

The Christian conception of God really should be 'they' for a number of reasons.

That's heresy to the majority of christianity and something that you have centuries of bloody conflict over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

How do you feel about clothes with multiple fabrics or eating rare steak?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Griffen posted:

I was wondering when someone would bring up the cleanliness laws. Some of the tenets of the Old Testament involved how to become ceremonially clean, which was important for times of offering sacrifices, seeking God's guidance, and for conducting priestly duties. This was a means to impress upon the people the nature of their sins and their contrast to God's holiness. The sacrifices were done to show the cost of our sin and to make us right with God. Even some legitimately acceptable things had to be abstained from in order to be ceremonially clean for certain actions. There are accounts in the Old Testament where people are told to abstain from sexual relations with their spouses right before an important event. This was not because sex is wrong, but to impress upon the people that going before God is a big deal because of the gulf between us caused by sin. That is why only the high priest could go into the Holy of Holies only once a year on behalf of all the people, because of that separation. The good news of Christianity is that Christ bridged that gulf for us and gave us the opportunity to reach God; that is one of the themes in the book of Hebrews, that Jesus is our eternal high priest who intercedes on our behalf. In the same way, his sacrifice is the eternal sacrifice that wipes our sin away if we accept him. Thus, there is no more clean or unclean. As is recorded in Peter's vision in Acts, God tells Peter "do not call anything impure that God has made clean" (Acts 10:15). Therefore the cleanliness laws are no longer required, as the core meaning of them has been fulfilled in Christ. In the same way, Christians don't have to be circumcised, because the mark of the covenant is no longer a physical mark on our bodies, but the indelible mark of God on our souls by the Holy Spirit.

Now, if you want to relate kosher laws with laws on sexual immorality, I don't know what to tell you. To me, that is text book cherry picking of wanting to equate things without understanding what they are or their context. If you concede that we are discussing the nature of God and His relation to Man, surely you have to admit that pithy one-liners are going to fall rather short in terms of having a functional dialogue.

You're the one cherry-picking. The laws I mentioned are only a few lines above the one possibly on homosexuality in Leviticus. If Acts 10;15 applies to those, then you should also remember Acts 10:28

quote:

28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

The real issue is in yourself - do you want to live forever (either physically and or digitally) in this world, wielding power over others, pursuing a godhood of a sort - or will you accept that your body, spirit, and mind exist at the mercy of God?
The first one.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

Sure, that is your choice. But such a lesser, material god is still only as permanent as this universe. Humans have full dominion over the Earth now - this stewardship time, this test, is both the beginning and the end of an age.

Universe is pretty permanent.

McDowell posted:

^ What circumstances created Louis Pasteur? The same chain of events leading to and stemming from the crucifixion of Christ, the prophecy of Muhammad, and much more.
Yes but there's no necessary link between the two. There's a perfectly concievable world with Pasteurization but without the crucifiction and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Dragonshirt posted:

Holy Jesus, can we just come right out and say that McDowell isn't prepared to actually post in this thread? He's just spouting spiritual platitudes that don't mean anything. It's pretty obvious he's never taken a skeptical look at his own beliefs.

Well yeah but his insane rambling is kinda entertaining.

Eskaton posted:

Because religion isn't really a science, maybe..? There is no rigor required. You might want to take a look at a lot postmodern stuff.

You know Christian Atheism is a thing? Zizek has a good thing on it.
I don't see how postmodern means lack of rigor?

While rigor isn't necessary, it is something that lots of people care about. Even if it's in rigorously founding something like a leap of faith as with Kierkegaard.

• Locked thread