Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

Things experienced by others are compelling. Should I ignore the queer experience in my beliefs? Should I ignore the African American experience in my beliefs? I'm not either of those things. It's nonsense to ignore the experiences of other people, they are compelling and a rational reason to believe something. They aren't a sole reason, but again it's problematic to rule them out.
The experience of others is only compelling if we can relate to them in some way or another. I don't have ESP and neither do you, so I have no idea that what you say you feel is what you really feel, or whether I have actually had that feeling but had a different interpretation, or whether or not it's a totally new thing. Lacking that knowledge, both you and I are compelled to believe the only thing we 'know' for sure - who we are and what we feel or have felt. That's just being realistic.

That's not a call to not try to empathize or whatever, if for some reason you can't relate to the queer/minority/whatever experience, you have to try, you owe them that. But if you can't recreate a common relation, there's nothing you can do. The real question then is 'does such a basis exist between all people, or are some experiences too distinct to ever be reconciled', and there I remain an optimist in saying that, eventually, all barriers can be overcome.

steinrokkan posted:

Whatever happened to that Kyrie Eleison guy who only posted about the importance of pure Christian life and anime?
Banned as a gimmick. Pity, I had a bit of fun with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread