Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, and I don't mean to interfere with the spirit of this thread, but I notice posters so far referring to God as a "he."

In addition to where you found your belief in him, so to speak, where did you find your conception of God as a dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
^^^edit: can we maybe get a hint about what aspect of that experience was religious?

The Kingfish posted:

It's debatable. Especially when you consider the desirability of population growth and the traditional necessity (now largely obsolete) of sexual specialization of the workforce.

Historically speaking, children do not die from lack of resources or insufficient levels of care, but from disease. In the case of ancient Israel and most premodern societies, less "breeders" means fewer children, and fewer children means less economic growth: both for the "nation" (an ahistorical term which can be conceptually applied to the Israelites) and for the family unit.

E: the effect is marginal with male homosexuality but extremely significant with female homosexuality- one of the reasons why female homosexuality is less culturally acceptable in premodern societies.

Nonetheless, it's probably helped the priesthood's numbers. IIRC, tribal cultures have/had special jobs for people who didn't fit the standard man/woman roles, which I will simplify to shaman, and I imagine the (celibate) priest role has served that purpose for a great deal of Western history, and probably still does in some communities.

Yeah this topic is a bit of a tangent, but maybe there are Christians who interpret someone's homosexuality as a message from God that being a celibate priest is a good path or destiny for that person. I mean, that's probably how I'd rationalize it if I were a Christian.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 10, 2016

• Locked thread