Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I was chosen by God as a member of his elect, I don't have/need a better reason than that. If I had grown up elsewhere or under different circumstances then I probably wouldn't believe.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Christian conception of God really should be 'they' for a number of reasons.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Actually, no, this is 100% false. It's a very common misconception that evolution is concerned with individuals passing on their genetic lines, when actually evolution is concerned with population groups propagating a new generation. Homosexuality does have several evolutionary benefits to a societal species like us, as it allows for either the homosexuals to focus on non-caregiving tasks while the breeding members focus on child-rearing or for the homosexual members to adopt infants that are abandoned or orphaned, which in both cases increases the rates of infant survival.

To put it into an analogy, say you have ten sisters who each can do the work of 1 person (gathering food, ensuring safe shelter, ect.), for a total work-power of 10. Then let's say that when one of them has a child they split their work 50/50 between work and mothering, meaning if all the sisters are straight and rearing a child they have a total work-power of 5. Now let's say each child needs 1 work-power to survive, leaving 5 out of 10 children to reach adulthood.

Now let's take 2 of those sisters and make them homosexual. So we're left with 8 children being raised but a work-power of 6, meaning 6 out of 8 children survive to reach adulthood. Thus the advantage of having a limited population of non-breeders to support the breeding population.

And while this thought example was overly-simplified, this is exactly what we see both in society and in the wild, it's a very well-documented phenomenon.

So no, you can't use evolution to back up your case against homosexuality. Quite the opposite, in fact, as homosexuality is very clearly a good thing under those terms.

It's debatable. Especially when you consider the desirability of population growth and the traditional necessity (now largely obsolete) of sexual specialization of the workforce.

Historically speaking, children do not die from lack of resources or insufficient levels of care, but from disease. In the case of ancient Israel and most premodern societies, less "breeders" means fewer children, and fewer children means less economic growth: both for the "nation" (an ahistorical term which can be conceptually applied to the Israelites) and for the family unit.

E: the effect is marginal with male homosexuality but extremely significant with female homosexuality- one of the reasons why female homosexuality is less culturally acceptable in premodern societies.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 10, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bonhoeffer was an amazing man and an inspired theologian.

Kierkagard is good too.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Chomsky is a smart man, but he carried water for the khemer rouge early on, suggesting that refugee reports were fabricated or exaggerated, it's right there in the link you provided.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Are there any theologians who write about the profound implications that modern physics have on for our conceptions of God the Father? Specifically the concept of time as a spatial dimension?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Care to elaborate? A name for the branch at least..

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

urseus posted:

People should want to hope that God doesn't exist. The alternative, that he's there and letting some of this bad stuff go on even if for some grand plan is horrifying.

It's a tired argument of why does he let bad things happen, but it's right. There is good and bad in the world, but the bad is so,so,SO overwhelmingly bad. A child with crippling bone cancer. Mass slaughter of a day care Center. Africa. Oh but, what about falling in love, and puppy dog sneezes?

Sorry, none of the good is good enough to outweigh some of the truely bad stuff.

The really bad stuff makes for even greater redemption. God "lets bad stuff happen" because from his perspective, (the correct perspective) these wrongs have already been righted.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SedanChair posted:

It's all right, they know. Very few people now living truly believe in an omnipotent god. The world is too well-explained and too real for such things to matter to the average person.

Many Christians would say that few people ever have truly believed in an omnipotent God. Narrow is the road.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't understand what that means.

The final judgment will make right all earthly wrongs. God knows all that will occur and looks towards the end result of creation which is redemption.

I'm not saying something vulgar like "all tragedies ultimately serve some earthly end" like what Sedan Chair is suggesting.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

nopantsjack posted:

This is the worst thread in D&D. My favourite part was when people were arguing that being gay is a sin and then Orlando happened.
Any weirdos in here have any moments of clarity around that?

Had a good long cry, talked with my pastor and some church leaders who I respect. We all decided that Islam is a trash religion.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

bitcoin bastard posted:

This is the point where I sign my ticket to hell, but I think no. God as described is both omniscient and omnipresent, so He already knows what is going on. The Son he sent down was basically a hippie, so maybe he's not into people worshiping in obvious ways. I'm no theologian but I try to live by the golden rule which after multiple translations basically comes out to '"don't be a dick".

E: Worthy of worship, but I think doesn't want it in the obvious worship ways.

When God was on earth he made it clear that you worship him by acting as a servant to the meek.

E: obviously God the Father can not be subjected to suffering, but God the Son was.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 26, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Actually people complain because this thread is specifically not about defending theism. But like every other DnD religion thread, the usual suspects show up on page one to toss around their two hundred level philosophy critiques of God.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Eskaton posted:

Op, I know I'm pulling from way back here, but have you considered that Christianity is also a thing outside of the Bible? Or any religion with a holy book?

This is the difference between Christianity and Islam.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's all like a bloodthirsty episode of Seinfeld.

Its really good, yeah.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

No, you misunderstand, it's not enough to just say you believe it. Anyone can do that, you have to actually choose to become convinced of it. If beliefs are an active choice (hint: they aren't, there's that whole "convinced" thing I mentioned a second ago) it should be trivial to do. And yet nobody in all of human history has ever been able to do it on command. Gosh, it's almost like you can't!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNbDnlQp78

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Arbitrarily choosing to believe is a huge part of the Christian tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I don't know dick about physics, but it seems like the universe operates according to cause and effect. The infiniteness of a creator God makes sense in the way infinite expansion and collapse of the universe does not.

• Locked thread