Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Here's the story.

When I was 18 and had just become a Catholic again one of my friends, Tom, who I've known since I was a little kid told me we had to go see a particular F.P.O priest in this group. He said his mother had met with this priest and that he "read her soul". He had the supernatural gift of knowledge just like what is said about Padre Pio. This particular friend of mine was a buddy who I got drunk with and smoked pot with all through high school. So this information coming from him specifically was very intriguing. Tom was never a devout Catholic.

We drove 10 hours or so to visit these priests in Massachusetts. Tom had written them a letter telling them we, me, Tom and his girlfriend, were coming because, of course, the F.P.Os don't have a phone.

When we arrived this long bearded, shaved head, woolen robbed man with glasses answered the door. I introduced myself and that was all. We spoke for less then two minutes and then Father suggested we go into the chapel to pray. So we went in there and knelt down on the hardwood floor with him. After 20 minutes of kneeling in silence he got up and tapped me on the shoulder and motioned for me to come with him. We went into a private room in the friary with two chairs and sat down and he asked me why I'd come. I told him "I heard you were like a psychic." (I was 18)...He told me "Oh no, I'm very sorry but you have been misinformed. I'm sorry you came all this way under the wrong impression. A few times the Lord has given me the gift of knowledge but it's not something that always happens." That was the most we spoke. He knew my name and why I had come nothing more.

So then he started praying aloud asking God to be present with us. We said an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory be together and then he eventually began speaking in tongues with his eyes closed. He had his hand up pointing towards my head like he was praying over me in tongues. I've heard Christians "speak in tongues" before and it just sounded like random gibberish. But his tongues were a beautiful language. It was similar to french but even more sweet sounding in some way. Very pleasing to the ear.

After about five minutes of this he stopped and opened his eyes and kind of like appeared to be waking up from a trance and then he started saying things. I'm not going to tell you exactly what he said but he knew some very specific extremely important secrets about me and how they had affected my life. The things he knew weren't general or vague like a horoscope they were specific and meaningful. It was as specific as "Where you in your early teenage years selling drugs?" When the answer was yes. That's just an example. He didn't actually say that to me.. It was all spoken about and presented in the most gentle and loving manner. He didn't say many things but what he did focus on was the most vital and important things in my life that he absolutely couldn't have known about. It was a supernatural event.

After we were done he took me back the the chapel and took the other two people to pray with him in that room one by one. Then when we were done he insisted that Tom and I stay there at the friary with him rather than all 3 of us sharing a hotel room as we had planned. Because there was a girl with us Father was very against that idea. We agreed and stayed the night with them in the friary and participated in their numerous prayer times. The girlfriend stayed in the hotel alone because a girl couldn't stay the night at the friary.

Both Tom and his girlfriend told me that he knew specific important private things about them as well. They were awe struct by what he told them. It had been a miracle with all three of us. For example he knew that Tom's girlfriend had been struggling with bulimia. Neither I nor Tom had known this before but she shared it with us because she was so awe struck by Father knowing it when she had hid it from everyone in the world.

I changed the names in this story and withheld the F.P.O priest's name. I want to write him a letter and ask him if it is ok for me to publicly share this story with his name before doing so. Anyways there's only 10 or so priest's in the F.P.O's I wouldn't be surprised if they all had miraculous gifts.

Here's their website which they reluctantly created quite recently. http://fpofriars.weebly.com/

AARO fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Goffer posted:

Atheist here, so I'm not really super qualified to buy in, but in my flirtations with religion and based on some stories in this thread, I'd like to put forward a phenomenon that happens when things are poo poo and you have no control, which I have as a pet theory for why some people believe:

Lacking Control Increases Illusory Pattern Perception - Science paper on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mllPKpwNIes - Narrated by Morgan Freeman!

I'd like a bunch more info on these tests. Like perhaps the second group was told they were wrong when they said they saw no pattern many times. If they were told over and over again that they were incorrect that there was no pattern that could help to explain why they were more likely to see a pattern in the white noise.

• Locked thread