Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Finding the hatch is easy when you realize it isn't random. It is in a different place on every map, but once you know each maps spawn point you can always find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

... I wonder how close I can put a bear trap to the hatch. Or if the hatch is in a wide open area.

The_MeatOne
Dec 4, 2005

I just wanna touch you.
Another good tip for the killer is if you come across a group of people and down one quickly, leave them crawling on the ground and chase their friend.

The traps are best used in doorways, windows and at narrow pathways. I especially like putting traps in the narrow passages near generators and hooked survivors. Players generally expect traps to be right under survivors and right next to generators. Also, putting a trap in front of a chest if you find one works pretty good too.

When playing the killer just remember not to be carrying around traps, that's a waste of resources. I generally try to set up as many traps as quickly as possible when playing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

widespread posted:

... I wonder how close I can put a bear trap to the hatch. Or if the hatch is in a wide open area.

Generally I have seen them next to structures, so you may be able to trap it. That being said, I've played a good number of games so far and no one has actually used the hatch yet.

Also, it's crazy that people are rank 1 in the game already. I get that you level up quickly but jeeze

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Generally I have seen them next to structures, so you may be able to trap it. That being said, I've played a good number of games so far and no one has actually used the hatch yet.

Also, it's crazy that people are rank 1 in the game already. I get that you level up quickly but jeeze

Yeah, trapping the hatch sounds good on paper but 9 out of 10 everyone tries to escape normally, coupled with the hatch being less obvious at first.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

You get A LOT more blood points in a round for wounding survivors, then letting them run. It's generally pretty easy to hunt them down again due to the moans of pain. :unsmigghh:
I like how they've set the game up to actively encourage playing like a horror movie villain as opposed to a brutally efficient terminator.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

You get A LOT more blood points in a round for wounding survivors, then letting them run. It's generally pretty easy to hunt them down again due to the moans of pain. :unsmigghh:
I like how they've set the game up to actively encourage playing like a horror movie villain as opposed to a brutally efficient terminator.

It's like Cabin in the Woods, you can't just kill them outright, you have to scare the poo poo out of then first

I do tend to babysit hooks more often than not, the survivors can take down their friends super fast, quick enough to just tank a hit and run afterwards. Traps are nice but inefficient, it's better to just hang around and let them fiddle with the generators than risk them getting off easy.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's like Cabin in the Woods, you can't just kill them outright, you have to scare the poo poo out of then first

I do tend to babysit hooks more often than not, the survivors can take down their friends super fast, quick enough to just tank a hit and run afterwards. Traps are nice but inefficient, it's better to just hang around and let them fiddle with the generators than risk them getting off easy.

Babysitting hook is a good idea. As is taking some slices at them even though it just gets jam on your face.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've taken to putting people on hooks and then leaving a lone trap somewhere nearby. Not directly under the hook as that's cheap. It gives people a chance to save their friends but also some risk. A lot of people can't handle traps in high grass so I put them there. I also tend to do my best to make my rounds and constantly do perimeter checks. It lets people save others but taking someone off a hook doesn't help you escape, the generators do.

Plus it's fun for both survivors and killer. So many times I've put someone on a hook and then booked it away and found like 3 people near the rear end end of the map near a generator because they aren't used to the killer actually leaving the hook and are just using their friends as bait.

*edit* One thing that desperately, desperately needs to be fixed is how fast survivors can pull people off hooks. It's absurdly fast and in many cases people can pull other people off hooks at the same time the killer is hanging them and phase right through him. It's stupid.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 12, 2016

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

*edit* One thing that desperately, desperately needs to be fixed is how fast survivors can pull people off hooks. It's absurdly fast and in many cases people can pull other people off hooks at the same time the killer is hanging them and phase right through him. It's stupid.

I think the devs stated this is fixed in the release branch along with window trolling.

On the subject of the release, looks like the cornfield area is going to suck majorly for ol' Trapper. Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of chokepoints to guide survivors into beartraps

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

I think the devs stated this is fixed in the release branch along with window trolling.

Thank christ, this is one of the things in the game that makes it frustrating to play. Get inside of one of those square buildings with two windows and the rape basement? 100% invincible. Several generators grouped around one of those buildings? May as well find a corner and cry because you aren't going to catch anyone.

Other things that annoy me as the killer

- Destroying hooks. It's already hard enough to hang someone, why make it even worse?
- Pumping soundtrack when I am trying to listen for people moving.
- Irritating people who stand by the gateway forever until you go by and then finally escape. You're just wasting everyone's time. Luckily their bravado gets too big sometimes and you can KO them in the doorway.

Trip report: Still satisfying to sacrifice twitch streamers to the dark gods.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Trip report: Still satisfying to sacrifice twitch streamers to the dark gods.

The elder ones approve of this.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

- Destroying hooks. It's already hard enough to hang someone, why make it even worse?

Oof, yes. I've had several rounds where the survivors start out methodically destroying every hook bar the basement ones. Then they're basically impossible to kill, because there is no way you're gonna get to the basement of fun in time while holding one of them. :smith:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Here's the launch trailer which is pretty neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhIXLO3ul8

I've also added some basic tips to the OP.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Finding the hatch is easy when you realize it isn't random. It is in a different place on every map, but once you know each maps spawn point you can always find it.

I think this is only sort of true. Each map has multiple different places it can be. I think they are more likely to spawn near a "constant" such as the center building or the water tower in one variant. So you can say to yourself "oh if the hatch spawns near the mineshaft building it's going to be right here", but that doesn't mean it will spawn at that location. However, I have seen a hatch spawn by some rocks out in the middle of nowhere so we'll have to see.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 14, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Happy launch day :toot:

Looking forward to trying out the two new killers then never playing again

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I think this is only sort of true. Each map has multiple different places it can be. I think they are more likely to spawn near a "constant" such as the center building or the water tower in one variant. So you can say to yourself "oh if the hatch spawns near the mineshaft building it's going to be right here", but that doesn't mean it will spawn at that location. However, I have seen a hatch spawn by some rocks out in the middle of nowhere so we'll have to see.

Unless it's changed in the release, it's absolutely true. Been watching sxyhxy stream the game for days and it always spawns in the same place on each map. His primary tactic now is try to get some generators, but if the rest of the group gets caught he's able to 100% of the time find the hatch in the same place every time and just camp it, and escape the second it's available.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Unless it's changed in the release, it's absolutely true. Been watching sxyhxy stream the game for days and it always spawns in the same place on each map. His primary tactic now is try to get some generators, but if the rest of the group gets caught he's able to 100% of the time find the hatch in the same place every time and just camp it, and escape the second it's available.

I'm positive that on at least a few occasions I've seen that the hatch can spawn in different areas. Specifically I'm thinking of the map with the small-ish two-story building with a generator and a chest on the second floor. When it spawns in the center area, it spawns almost literally right next to this building. Like, jump out a window and you're practically in the hatch. Impossible to overlook. There have been times when it wasn't there.

I've noticed it on the map with the giant building with catwalks as well. When it spawns in that building, it always spawns tucked to the side by one of the pathways with the big pipes. However, there are times when it's not there.

With that being said it absolutely spawns in these locations way, way more frequently and I hope they change some numbers or something because it's too easy for survivors to dip out that way.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I think showing the hatch to the killer would also be a good fix. The survivor can still go for generators if the killer is camping the hatch, etc. As it is now it's just an arbitrary "last survivor disappears" kinda deal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I would imagine that it is a time saving mechanism more than anything. If three dudes get killed then the last guy would be kiting the killer for half an hour to fix the rest of the generators by himself. Even if he was left alone becaude the killer was camping the hatch it still would take forever. That just isn't fun for anyone.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Exactly. Plus the Killer gets a victory if he kills and sacrifices even one person, so it's not like you're taking anything away from them, either.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Game is out. Too bad we couldn't preload. Now I get to wait 3 hours for my 6mb internet to finish downloading. :(

EDIT: Scratch that I thought it was a larger download. Still an hour and a half though.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 14, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

New maps finally is pretty exciting. I mostly play survivor but I figured I'd play the new killers for a bit at launch to learn them. Playing The Hillybilly at the moment. He's really strong right now against a mostly new playerbase, chainsaw is making for some really easy downs on people I wouldn't catch before. I think once people are used to the game though he's probably not going to be very good. It seems pretty simple to juke the chainsaw, which is very loud as a warning when he's going to use it.

Just had a good example of the chainsaw being good mainly because people aren't understanding what it does right now. I had sacrificed 3 survivors and immediately ran to the hatch. I was standing at the hatch and the last survivor came right around the corner and just blindly charged at me while I rev'd up my chainsaw. I think he was thinking "I can eat one hit and slip down the hatch". He lost of course, but that's the kind of mistake no one will be making in a week.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 14, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

After some hiccups with getting people to join my lobby I played my first round as the wraith and had a pretty good round. I don't think he's completely invisible but survivors don't hear the heartbeat. I brought one of the last 2 survivors down and let the other go down and get her. While they were patching up down there I waited at the top of the stairs until I saw them so I could uncloak as they started climbing the stairs. I hope it startled them because that poo poo made me feel badass. They split, one ran past me and the other... well she went back downstairs and stayed there. I had fun with them, too bad the last one got away.

18k and got 500 more points than the one who escaped. Looks like the bloodweb is a lot more expensive now too.

Looks like they got rid of the break even point for rank. It's actually hard as gently caress to stay ranked up now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Has anyone played against all three monsters? Are they all actually fun, or is it another Evolve where there is just a bunch of cheap bullshit?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
They're pretty fun. Hillbilly has a loud-rear end chainsaw that can be heard across the map and can sprint at you with it once it's fully revved up. The wraith can turn invisible but can't attack or interact with anything and when he cloaks/uncloaks loud bells are heard. So far it's been pretty balanced. Pubbies can't seem to counter some of them though. I've been playing as the wraith and despite ringing bells right next to them they still can't figure out that they need to run away. Once people learn though all the tells and sounds it will stop being as effective though.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm having a blast with hillbilly. He's definitely weak on tight maps because he'll just bump into poo poo, but charging people down is a great laugh.

Take that with a grain of salt because I'm a pretty simple man. Ask again in a week.

Also there's lore on the website now. I'll update OP eventually.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Launch day, easy prey

Don't go into the Basement Of Fun, guys, especially when I'm standing right outside.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hillbilly is super satisfying to smash people in the face with a hammer with and Wraith is maximum spooky time killer, good fun.

Also using the chainsaw sprint through the corn fields at people :unsmigghh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not really digging the chainsaw so much but DING DING DING-ing into reality next to survivors will never not be funny.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I doubt I'll buy this any time soon because I haven't been playing anything lately, but Wraith does sound like a lot of fun.

Do you really get rewarded for playing in ways that make the survivors poo poo themselves? That seems like the kind of design that would be really easy to screw up, but perfect if it worked.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I doubt I'll buy this any time soon because I haven't been playing anything lately, but Wraith does sound like a lot of fun.

Do you really get rewarded for playing in ways that make the survivors poo poo themselves? That seems like the kind of design that would be really easy to screw up, but perfect if it worked.

Kind of, you get points for hitting them, sacrificing them, chasing them, and all that. They are all different categories, so you can build up point in several different ways. That means killing people quickly won't necessarily give you the best score.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
Is there a mumble server or discord for playing with other goons?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

There's no channel in CTS but I'm sure there's someone we could fuss at for one. Also currently you need 5 people to play together so it's a bit of a pain.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
If I'm playing with 3 is there anyway we can queue together without having to go in a private match?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

No, not currently. The fact that you can't is widely regarded as a completely poo poo idea, and they realized what a poo poo idea it was, and now they've been working on making party queue available "as soon as possible after launch."

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Guess I'm waiting on this game for a week then.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Didn't they say the release would have that feature?

Guess I'm skipping this then.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
Can confirm you can still be a total rear end in a top hat to killers hellbent on focusing on you. Vaulted back and forth in a Looney Tunes-esque escape through a pair of windows as the Wraith kept chasing me into the windows. He eventually caught on to what I was doing, and moved to the side of the wall to wait for me to vault through a window again, at which point I ran out the other side of the building.

Meanwhile my team got all the generators and escaped.

I was rightfully murdered.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Didn't they say the release would have that feature?

Guess I'm skipping this then.

The official statement was that they were working on it to get it out as fast as possible. I think everyone got a bit overzealous and just started saying it would be in at launch.

I get their logic though. It wasn't in their initial plan. A team of 4 survivors able to communicate through voip and whatnot will be ridiculously coordinated and it'd completely gently caress the balance of the game. They don't want people riding each other's dicks to climb rank. What I don't get is why they don't just have a separate, unranked queue for groups to play casually.

They are French Canadian so who knows how their brains work.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, I like playing with my friends as much as the next guy but coordinated teamwork over something like Mumble would absolutely ruin the game.

• Locked thread