Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Not gaining exp in private games is another boggling decision. I just want to play with my friends, but if I want to experience the whole game I have to pub or cheatengine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Maybe if they had mic chat it could just be audible in the game world rather than global. Like in rust and other games. if you find another person, you can form a plan. but maybe the killer can hear you too...

I bought this game with the money I got back when I returned unfortunate spacemen, which is almost identical to this gameplay wise, only think The Thing rather than Jason Voorhees, nobody was even playing it, though, which is a shame. I've had lots of fun with this so far, I hope it stays populated for a long time!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Unfortunate Spacemen looks pretty good, one to put on my wishlist then struggle to get a group to play it. Not that anyone else will buy it at $15.

I haven't managed to rank up yet, do you have to hit something like 15k score in a game to get enough pips? I keep getting around 10k.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Carecat posted:

Unfortunate Spacemen looks pretty good, one to put on my wishlist then struggle to get a group to play it. Not that anyone else will buy it at $15.

I haven't managed to rank up yet, do you have to hit something like 15k score in a game to get enough pips? I keep getting around 10k.

I just assume you need some amount of circles filled or something. Maybe it's a set score? But usually if you get at least two or more full circles, you get all the pips.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Things you can be confident of:
Another survivor sneaking up next to you and the killer noticing them then hitting you instead.
Anyone joining your generator repair will gently caress up the skill check.

This might be useful but I've never heard it trigger so far.

A lot of perks/items sound poo poo without upgrades. Deja Vu lets you see where a generator is at the start? They aren't hard to find. Similarly why would I bother taking a map? Now detecting the hatch aura that would be useful.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 15, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Premonition only really works if you're right next to the killer almost. I've found it useful to tell if a killer was waiting on the other side of the wall I was hiding on or if he was nearing my locker I was hiding in.

My favourite is the survivor perk that lets you see bear traps. That's saved my rear end so many times.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The one that lets you see downed survivors is the most useful for the killer IMO. Nothing like chasing multiple people at one and then having to search through the grass like you dropped a contact lense.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Trap vision would be great but I meet so many Wraiths. Not that his special is that good so either people overvalue it or it's because he is default. I'm usually using box detection for free items.

The bloodweb pricing is overtuned. At level 7 it's 8000 for a flashlight.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The hillbilly gets so hosed depending on which map pops up. Cornfield allows him to kick rear end but the forest maps completely neuter him. I never even bothered to rev up my chainsaw because even when I did have a straight shot to the survivor there were loving trees everywhere.

The trapper is still my favourite. I love hearing the SNAP when a trap goes off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wraith is my favorite for the sole fact that you can sneak up on groups of people trying to repair a generator and turn it into a game of "who has the slowest reaction time"

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

My favourite perk right now, and I only have it at rank 1, is "Sprint Burst: When starting to run, break into a sprint at 150% your normal running speed for a maximum of 3 seconds" It's on a 40 second cooldown. It's really strong. I just make sure to walk anywhere, and whenever the killer notices me I take off at faster than his movement speed. If a killer hits me and I run, I shoot off so fast it looks like a speed hack or something. It's the strongest perk I've gotten so far.

I wonder if ranking up will increase the duration or decrease the cooldown.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 15, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wraith is my favorite for the sole fact that you can sneak up on groups of people trying to repair a generator and turn it into a game of "who has the slowest reaction time"

It's so good. People react so differently. Some will book it the moment they hear the bells, others will stop repairing and look around confused, and the others will just keep working away none the wiser.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
It looks like you can queue with friends as survivors, you have to set your steam download region to a low traffic area and queue at the same time, gotten in five games in a row with my friends. Game saved!

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Does everyone crash if a single player crashes? Just curious because I'm 2 for 4 on completed games.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

ToiletDuckie posted:

Does everyone crash if a single player crashes? Just curious because I'm 2 for 4 on completed games.

This could be the case if the Killer crashes, but I've never been disconnect when others disconnect.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

This could be the case if the Killer crashes, but I've never been disconnect when others disconnect.

Ah, I've been killer each time, so maybe it's on my end :( No other games crash, though, so it might just be the fresh-out-of-beta experience.

Edit: Make that 3 out of 5. Even on low settings, ~7 minutes in, two survivors sacrifices and the third going on the hook... it's clearly an intermittent issue, but drat is it not frustrating.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 16, 2016

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
This ranking system is garbage making it brutally hard to make it past even the first rank. http://www.deadbydaylight.com/manual/ranks/

Don't get enough points because you didn't do enough that the game says you should? Lose a pip.
Game crashes because of steam problems/buggy game? Lose a pip.
Killer DC's in the first 10 seconds of the match? Lose a pip.
Holy poo poo I survived and made enough points to gain a pip holy gently caress... oh wait the game for whatever reason didn't track it. Lose a pip.

jfc i'm gonna be level 20 forever :cry:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I have been wrecking nerds as the Trapper today and it is Good Good Good. My favorite is dropping random traps in the tall grass near generators, so when I come over to say hi and the survivors inevitably scatter, there's a half decent chance one of them will get wrecked by a trap.

I realize that placing them under barricades or windows is more Optimal (I still do that, along with in front of hooks I currently have occupied), but the holy drat do I get a sadistic thrill out of imagining the surprise on peoples' faces when a trap bites them from the grass line.

I keep loving up the repair skill checks as a survivor, though. I know the little noise happens shortly before the skill check happens, but I still miss about one in every 4 skill checks. I feel like such a bad.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
Thats what you get for playing chainsaw guy.

Trapper is the way, and alot of level 1's.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Paradigmata posted:

Seriously, literally nobody seems ready for dropping a trap in front of a hook and they will happily charge up and get hosed by the trap while you're just out of terror range. Survivors CAN disarm the trap even without a toolbox and the associated sabotage command, but nobody does it.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

Paradigmata posted:

I'm sorry, I just have too much fun revving up a huge chainsaw and sprinting like an insane person through cornfields at survivors. It's super satisfying!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyJesus posted:

This ranking system is garbage making it brutally hard to make it past even the first rank. http://www.deadbydaylight.com/manual/ranks/

Don't get enough points because you didn't do enough that the game says you should? Lose a pip.
Game crashes because of steam problems/buggy game? Lose a pip.
Killer DC's in the first 10 seconds of the match? Lose a pip.
Holy poo poo I survived and made enough points to gain a pip holy gently caress... oh wait the game for whatever reason didn't track it. Lose a pip.

jfc i'm gonna be level 20 forever :cry:

Fortunately the ranks don't mean anything :shrug:

I'd be really pissed if that gated progression any, but as is I am not put off with having to wait for a patch for it to make any sense at all, even though I've hit rank 19 on three occasions and had the killer disconnect the very next game each time :negative:

Overall I'm having a shocking amount of fun playing this game and just hope it'll still have a crowd playing it a month from now (because as is I'm worried the real serious business types are being put off by their ladder rank being busted and lots of people being put off by the lack of friend matchmaking)

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 16, 2016

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

UberJew posted:

Fortunately the ranks don't mean anything :shrug:

I'd be really pissed if that gated progression any, but as is I am not put off with having to wait for a patch for it to make any sense at all, even though I've hit rank 19 on three occasions and had the killer disconnect the very next game each time :negative:

Overall I'm having a shocking amount of fun playing this game and just hope it'll still have a crowd playing it a month from now (because as is I'm worried the real serious business types are being put off by their ladder rank being busted and lots of people being put off by the lack of friend matchmaking)

I'm far from the serious business type of guy, just pointing out a system that is loving broke as all hell

That said, i'm having a helluva good time playing this too!

CrazyJesus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 16, 2016

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'm thinking the ability to actually cover spots you're not at makes the trapper the best killer overall but goddamn if spookin' folks as the wraith or chainsawing them like a madman isn't a great time.

edit: holy poo poo there's actually a lunge attack why did I not look at these tutorials earlier

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 16, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like chainsaw guy might get slept on a bit, the more I play him the more I'm starting to think he might be not just fun, but legitimately good as long as you're smart about how and when you use your chainsaw. I'm getting a lot of downs on people who would have just made it through a window and then juked me for eternity if I wasn't chainsaw. His ability to clear the entire map in a few seconds if you know where to line up is super useful too. Probably not going to be on the same level as the trapper, but I'm genuinely thinking he's better than wraith.

Wraith will always be amazing for stomping new players. Is he harder to see on lower graphics settings, or is he just as visible? I'm thinking they might need to make him harder to see.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 16, 2016

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
Just killed some streamer named Bahroo with 10k viewers as chainsaw hillbilly by chainsawing him through a window after he tried the back and forth window cheese maneuver. :feelsgood:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Are you ever forced into being the killer? I absolutely hated that part of Evolve, half the time you didn't get the role you wanted.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Donnerberg posted:

Are you ever forced into being the killer? I absolutely hated that part of Evolve, half the time you didn't get the role you wanted.

You actually choose if you want to be the Killer (you make the lobby) or the Survivors (try to join a lobby). Never forces, though it's more trying to find the players on either end.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Donnerberg posted:

Nope. At the menu you pick survivor, killer, or whatever's fastest. Never have to play a part you don't want.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Nope. At the menu you pick survivor, killer, or whatever's fastest. Never have to play a part you don't want.

Alright, that sounds fantastic!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
can't get a game as killer and everyone is the inivisibell

God I hope this uses steamworks instead of darksouls

Ok, had first game as killer and got two of those drat runners.

Edit: has anyone gotten the daily reward yet? cause I totally sacced two dudes and didn;t get it yet

Grognan fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 16, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I find that I have had the most success with the chainsaw by finding an area where I think survivors are and revving it. Run my little field mice

Otherwise he is very situational and map-dependent

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyJesus posted:

Just killed some streamer named Bahroo with 10k viewers as chainsaw hillbilly by chainsawing him through a window after he tried the back and forth window cheese maneuver. :feelsgood:

I was watching his stream before going to bed and saw that and even he just laughed and said that he completely deserved it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

UberJew posted:

It really, really helps that the overall game time is short. A single match lasts like 5-10 minutes, so even if things go really badly for you for whatever reason, it's easy to shrug it off and just get back into the game. I think more casual players will stick around a bit longer just from that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I really wish they would put some sort of time limit on it though. I had a round last night that lasted twenty minutes despite me killing three people in the first five because the last guy just ran and hid, hoping I would just give up and disconnect.

I didn't DC and eventually killed them, of course, because gently caress rewarding that kind of behavior. But it would be nice to have bonus tracking or something if no one even attempts to complete an objective in like five minutes

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, the hatch is supposed to encourage people to not play that particular game, but a number of people seem either unaware that it exists or unwilling to go looking for it after the game is already tits up. I had a game like that yesterday too and ended up punishing the player who did it by picking them up, dropping them down, hitting them again, and repeating every couple of steps as I dragged them slowly to the hook.

Wasted my time too but yeah if you screw with me like that I'm going to have you listen to your character screaming and encouraging you to break your keyboard with useless wiggling for a while, you loving bet.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've spent five minutes moving around the map honestly trying and failing to find a hatch in the cornfield map before (after an even longer time because it was such a garbage team i also had to solo two generators for the hatch to even be an option)

There is an anti-camping measure in that crows will start flying over their head and cawing if they stand still or cower in a locker, so they are at least not able to just crouch behind a tree off in a corner

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That reminds me. If I'm running along the edge of the map and spook a couple of crows, that creates a ping for the killer, right? I've always presumed it does, but when playing killer I've never noticed a noise ping come from something like that. I really only get it when a survivor sprints through an action or screws up a generator skill check.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

That reminds me. If I'm running along the edge of the map and spook a couple of crows, that creates a ping for the killer, right? I've always presumed it does, but when playing killer I've never noticed a noise ping come from something like that. I really only get it when a survivor sprints through an action or screws up a generator skill check.

There is a perk that gives a chance to mark you if you startle crows, but I don't think that it does it normally. It's just an audio cue.

AFAIK the things that do mark are

Messing up a skill check for repairing something (not healing, I think that is just audio)

Knocking down a barrier

Jumping over a barrier

Jumping through a window? This one seems inconsistent, may be due to sprinting like you said

And obviously things like successfully fixing a generator

So that means unhooking, running, healing, opening the main gates, and all of that do not give "big" alerts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The crow perk is a percentage chance within a certain distance (both increase per rank of the perk)

In addition to all those I'm pretty sure running near a fire barrel creates an alert.

• Locked thread