Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is this going to be like Evolve where I really want to be the killer but end up getting set as a survivor 100% of the time?

At any rate I'm on the fence, I've been bitten before but I love slasher stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Game isn't bad. I haven't run into many bugs yet, which is nice. I'm not overly fond of the consumable items thing because it can really gently caress with a match when everyone brings certain things along, but that is this or that.

I'll certainly be interested to see how the addition of new killers and how it changes the game. Evolve suffered from precisely one monster being any fun to play/play against so it ended up being dumb. If the other two are fun as well then it's not too bad.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

From what I've seen of streamers that are legit rank 1 and stuff, they tend to stick them outside/inside the windowsills every jackass knows to bail to by this point. Often enough they're more of a thing to ruin the spots where you truly can't hope to chase people down, than purely for catching inattentive people.

I rarely bother with window/doorway traps just because they are so obvious and only really catch people that are booking it away from you. Generally speaking I'll just drop them on one of the entry paths to a generator or hook, a little further away. It doesn't normally get a hit, but it's also not blindingly obvious.

The other thing is just to flat out block off entrances and make people either stop or go around, but the traps take so long to set that I don't see much use in that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

People are so strange. I have seen a lot of people on the Web listing "the killer moves faster than the survivors" as a reason why the game sucks. Guys, how is he supposed to catch anyone any other way?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

widespread posted:

... I wonder how close I can put a bear trap to the hatch. Or if the hatch is in a wide open area.

Generally I have seen them next to structures, so you may be able to trap it. That being said, I've played a good number of games so far and no one has actually used the hatch yet.

Also, it's crazy that people are rank 1 in the game already. I get that you level up quickly but jeeze

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

You get A LOT more blood points in a round for wounding survivors, then letting them run. It's generally pretty easy to hunt them down again due to the moans of pain. :unsmigghh:
I like how they've set the game up to actively encourage playing like a horror movie villain as opposed to a brutally efficient terminator.

It's like Cabin in the Woods, you can't just kill them outright, you have to scare the poo poo out of then first

I do tend to babysit hooks more often than not, the survivors can take down their friends super fast, quick enough to just tank a hit and run afterwards. Traps are nice but inefficient, it's better to just hang around and let them fiddle with the generators than risk them getting off easy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

I think the devs stated this is fixed in the release branch along with window trolling.

Thank christ, this is one of the things in the game that makes it frustrating to play. Get inside of one of those square buildings with two windows and the rape basement? 100% invincible. Several generators grouped around one of those buildings? May as well find a corner and cry because you aren't going to catch anyone.

Other things that annoy me as the killer

- Destroying hooks. It's already hard enough to hang someone, why make it even worse?
- Pumping soundtrack when I am trying to listen for people moving.
- Irritating people who stand by the gateway forever until you go by and then finally escape. You're just wasting everyone's time. Luckily their bravado gets too big sometimes and you can KO them in the doorway.

Trip report: Still satisfying to sacrifice twitch streamers to the dark gods.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Happy launch day :toot:

Looking forward to trying out the two new killers then never playing again

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I would imagine that it is a time saving mechanism more than anything. If three dudes get killed then the last guy would be kiting the killer for half an hour to fix the rest of the generators by himself. Even if he was left alone becaude the killer was camping the hatch it still would take forever. That just isn't fun for anyone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Has anyone played against all three monsters? Are they all actually fun, or is it another Evolve where there is just a bunch of cheap bullshit?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Launch day, easy prey

Don't go into the Basement Of Fun, guys, especially when I'm standing right outside.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not really digging the chainsaw so much but DING DING DING-ing into reality next to survivors will never not be funny.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I doubt I'll buy this any time soon because I haven't been playing anything lately, but Wraith does sound like a lot of fun.

Do you really get rewarded for playing in ways that make the survivors poo poo themselves? That seems like the kind of design that would be really easy to screw up, but perfect if it worked.

Kind of, you get points for hitting them, sacrificing them, chasing them, and all that. They are all different categories, so you can build up point in several different ways. That means killing people quickly won't necessarily give you the best score.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, I like playing with my friends as much as the next guy but coordinated teamwork over something like Mumble would absolutely ruin the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The one that lets you see downed survivors is the most useful for the killer IMO. Nothing like chasing multiple people at one and then having to search through the grass like you dropped a contact lense.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wraith is my favorite for the sole fact that you can sneak up on groups of people trying to repair a generator and turn it into a game of "who has the slowest reaction time"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I find that I have had the most success with the chainsaw by finding an area where I think survivors are and revving it. Run my little field mice

Otherwise he is very situational and map-dependent

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I really wish they would put some sort of time limit on it though. I had a round last night that lasted twenty minutes despite me killing three people in the first five because the last guy just ran and hid, hoping I would just give up and disconnect.

I didn't DC and eventually killed them, of course, because gently caress rewarding that kind of behavior. But it would be nice to have bonus tracking or something if no one even attempts to complete an objective in like five minutes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

That reminds me. If I'm running along the edge of the map and spook a couple of crows, that creates a ping for the killer, right? I've always presumed it does, but when playing killer I've never noticed a noise ping come from something like that. I really only get it when a survivor sprints through an action or screws up a generator skill check.

There is a perk that gives a chance to mark you if you startle crows, but I don't think that it does it normally. It's just an audio cue.

AFAIK the things that do mark are

Messing up a skill check for repairing something (not healing, I think that is just audio)

Knocking down a barrier

Jumping over a barrier

Jumping through a window? This one seems inconsistent, may be due to sprinting like you said

And obviously things like successfully fixing a generator

So that means unhooking, running, healing, opening the main gates, and all of that do not give "big" alerts

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You can hear them breathing in the cabinets too, they are pretty useless

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ToiletDuckie posted:

I've resorted to setting my own petty goal(s) as Hillbilly: One offering to the dark gods, maybe one 30 second chase sequence if I can afford it. If that means guarding a meat hook, then hey, a survivor can legitimately saunter up and de-hook a guy in less time than it takes to rev the chainsaw. Even if I hit them as they've together, it'll only ever hit one person (...), so at best all I can do is trade who's on the hook.

If it is any consolation, you get points for hitting/chasing/hooking, so it all can balance out if you have to trade the hook.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

UberJew posted:

Camping the hook for a kill is only good when the survivors are all really bad and don't turn on any generators and while that is the case for most groups of survivors probably best not to get in the habit

I generally will somewhat camp the first hook I make to ensure that I end up with at least a petty victory, but after that I generally go Cabin In The Woods on them and let them pull each other off if they want to get hit.

ToiletDuckie posted:

Yeah, I've noticed at the end that I typically end up with a moderate amount of points for Hunting/Destruction and occasionally Sacrifice. The other one, Stalking?, I have no idea how you receive. Is it just watching Survivors that aren't aware?

Pretty much, IMO. I think that things like getting them caught in bear traps, and I believe that killing off all four of them will give you a full circle (+2500 points)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

UberJew posted:

The first hooking is the worst one to camp, because there are three people free to hit generators and they can do all of them in the time it takes that one guy to die, while it gets progressively smarter to camp later murderings because the survivors are gaining less total time for your inactivity

When I say "camp" I don't mean I stand right by the hook like some people do, I just stay in the general area. I actually find that it makes it easier to grab a second person that is trying to play hero by doing it early enough, because people aren't feeling the sting of losing people/damage yet and tend to be a bit more overconfident. I'll wander off a short distance to check in the general area, but circle back to the hook to see if anyone is going for it. If I see three generators popping off in the distance then I'll move away, however, since that means there isn't someone nearby.

The best is when they are sure I wandered away and go into the Basement Of Fun to rescue someone. Knock knock :getin:

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 17, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

As awful as it is, rescuing survivors is a terrible idea unless it's convenient for you. You might grab them down, but if they are anywhere near you then chances are the killer is just going to run back and give you both a smack, earning an extra wound and someone back up on the hook.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ToiletDuckie posted:

Correction: I tried survivor for a round. Geez, you get a heartbeat out to ~50 yards!? Why would you even get close to a hook if there's obviously a Killer nearby?

Because you get a heartbeat out to 50 yards. You only know that he is in the general vicinity of a large area unless it's really pounding in your ears, so you sometimes have to just go for it and hope for the best, especially considering how fast you can unhook people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

H2SO4 posted:

You lose your items if you've got it equipped and get killed? I keep coming across a lot of poo poo that's just not explained at all and it's kind of frustrating.

Correct, and offerings/upgrades to your attacker specials are one use only.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

H2SO4 posted:

And what the hell does this mean? One generator or find an escape hatch? Can't see anything about it in the manual.

Correct, the hatch is unlocked when you are the last survivor left on the map.

So I know you can carry off items if you survive, does that include if you use them up during the map?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's really kind of weird how balanced in favor of the survivors this game is. It almost feels like the killer's underpowered.

Eh, depends on how you rate a "win". It is hard to kill all four people, but if you get even one then you still technically win.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

Saw a rank 12 survivor today. He yanked the cord when I hit him once. :henget:

What are the penalties for disconnecting / quitting a match? I hope he didn't get to keep his toolbox or points, at the very least.

He gains literally nothing, I don't understand why he would DC unless you were actively trolling him

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

They really should make the "No trap" area around the hooks larger. I get that you -can- trap people coming to save their friends and that is also good, but putting it directly under the feet of the hooked person is just poo poo.

Yes I am salty that saving people is a pain in the rear end.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Bup posted:

Just follow him to the hook and pull the guy off while he's setting the trap. Or pull him off while he's putting him on. Or get in his face before he starts placing the trap, tank a hit, adn then pull him off while he's recovering.

There are so many ways to clown the killer on the hook that trapping under isn't even on my radar. Get rid of trapping under and bodyblocking the hook when all the dumb poo poo survivors can do is fixed.

It's just bizarre how balls out aggressive survivors have to be to really make things work. The game sets itself up as an "avoid the monster" game but you really have to be actively chasing down the monster half the time to get people back/distract/all that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What is "bodyblocking the hook" in context of the survivors? In the sense that they stand in front of the hook and don't let you put someone on? Just smack them in the face, I have never had an issue with people trying it and surviving.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Had a killer host that apparently gets his internet from Somalia because he was teleporting around like crazy. Opened his steam profile and the only other message on there is someone else telling him to fix his goddamned internet.

Hey guys, maybe not let the dude host if he has 500 ping.

LibbyM posted:

I have never lost a pip on a single game where I both survived and was genuinely a meaningful contribution to the victory.

I have had that happen a few times when I was very sneaky and avoided the monster the whole time, even if I got a few generators by myself.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh I agree that you should lose rank if you contribute absolutely nothing. But if the killer can gain rank by just sacrificing one guy then I don't see why repairing one generator and then escaping shouldn't at least keep you at the rank you are currently at

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

Yeah, you can lose rank sacrificing three people. I only got 6000 points that game.

Ah, maybe I was wrong. I don't really care about rank so I didn't notice.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Bup posted:

I have a love-hate relationship with rank. On the one hand I can't not care about it because it's there and I see it. On the other I think ranking and progression metagames in games like this are always nice dressing over a rotten core. How many dedicated multiplayer games with lots of ranking and progression mechanics can you think of that people are still playing after more than two or three years? League of Legends? And that cements the feeling I get about this kind of thing, because while I loving hate league of legends I can't deny that it's a good game. If everyone had all heroes and unlimited runes and masteries and there was no progression you know people would still be playing the poo poo out of it.

And then you've got games like quake and unreal tournament, wolfenstein ET, brood war, that have none of that poo poo and people are still playing them after years and years, because they're good games. They don't have to rely on carefully calculated dopamine regimens to keep you playing so they have staying power, whereas most of the multiplayer games that come out now start shrinking as soon as people lose interest in the skinner box.

I mean, ultimately it comes down to "Are you having fun yes/no". I personally don't care much about rank because it doesn't change anything and the system is kind of hosed right now. I personally think that boldness points need a massive buff to the rate that they are gained, but that's just me.

I'm still having fun on both sides of the fence, so I don't really care about most of the minutae. I am sure it will get more frustrating as time goes on, but for now it's good.

In other news, the flashlight sucks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

H2SO4 posted:

I had a match where I brought in a flashlight because why not. Found a chest, dropped my flashlight to receive... a flashlight.

So I curse the entity and decide to go full-tilt bonkers and go to the basement to check that chest. Drop my flashlight, search the chest...

Another. loving. Flashlight.

If you were allowed to self-hook I'd have done it.

It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to aim it at the Killer's face, without any aim assistance like a reticle, and also you only have five seconds of charge.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jesus, some of the survivor perks are straight up broken. The level three "Self Care" perk lets you heal without items at 80% of normal speed and doubles healing item self-heal rate. How do I know this is broken?

Because I smack a pubbie. She climbs through the window and heals back to full health before I can wipe off my blade and crawl through after her. She can do this an infinite number of times, as long as she doesn't leave her window.

Now I know why there are some Rank 1 players on here, it's because they poopsocked their way to hell and back to get the broken perks and can just run rampant with them.

(And yes, it was a twitch streamer. No, it wasn't a popular one)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've never seen a game that punishes altruism as hard as this one. Almost all killers camp their hooks anymore so trying to get a guy off is just a mess. -Especially- if he has the "heartbeat stops when standing still" perk. And being a distractions is pointless if you get caught in the end because nine times out of ten your team mates will just say "lol cya" and leave you to bleed out. You ungrateful fucks :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

expect at least a hit on you and you had better have had an escape plan. unhooking is such a lure that I mostly expect to come back in five seconds and get another down/hit.

Believe me, I play enough killer to know that it's coming. But it's such a massive risk for a moderate reward that it's far better to just let the person eat it and sorry for your bad luck.

• Locked thread