Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I played a bit of this just now and... it feels good, but I'm afraid for it. That being said, I could go for a few tips:

For one, when should I ever attempt an escape if hooked? And two, should I even bring items if I can get chests? On the killer side of things, when do the scratches show up? Feels random. Also, since it's just Trapper, do we just set the traps near objectives or try to be creative and block off routes? And finally, is the Cow Tag even worth a slot? A lot more questions but mainly those.

Can't wait for the Hillbilly if only for the fact I get to say "Y'got a purdy mouth" when I hook people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

People don't think about balance. Here's what probably happened:

Survivor gets spotted.

Survivor runs in a straight line sprinting the entire time.

Survivor gets caught because they used none of their advantages to get away.

Survivor posts pissy message on forums complaining about how it's "impossible to get away because the killer moves faster".

Survivor also doesn't know that one Very Rare trinket makes the Trapper loving awesome.

Honing Stone. Makes every trap you put down fatal to Survivors. Shame I lost it already.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is an interesting premise but "locked FOV as a gameplay mechanic" instantly guaranteed I would never be willing to play it.

Just a beta, I want to say.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

That's the hatch. You can escape from it when there is one survivor left.

So either find the hatch or find the exit? As it is, finding the hatch is much harder than finding the exit somehow.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Removing the lock would completely change the balance of the game, and it's part of what makes things interesting.

After some thought, yeah the FOV is fine. Plus the Killer is supposed to be a narrowminded murder person, so it thematically fits.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

... I wonder how close I can put a bear trap to the hatch. Or if the hatch is in a wide open area.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Generally I have seen them next to structures, so you may be able to trap it. That being said, I've played a good number of games so far and no one has actually used the hatch yet.

Also, it's crazy that people are rank 1 in the game already. I get that you level up quickly but jeeze

Yeah, trapping the hatch sounds good on paper but 9 out of 10 everyone tries to escape normally, coupled with the hatch being less obvious at first.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's like Cabin in the Woods, you can't just kill them outright, you have to scare the poo poo out of then first

I do tend to babysit hooks more often than not, the survivors can take down their friends super fast, quick enough to just tank a hit and run afterwards. Traps are nice but inefficient, it's better to just hang around and let them fiddle with the generators than risk them getting off easy.

Babysitting hook is a good idea. As is taking some slices at them even though it just gets jam on your face.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Carecat posted:

Unfortunate Spacemen looks pretty good, one to put on my wishlist then struggle to get a group to play it. Not that anyone else will buy it at $15.

I haven't managed to rank up yet, do you have to hit something like 15k score in a game to get enough pips? I keep getting around 10k.

I just assume you need some amount of circles filled or something. Maybe it's a set score? But usually if you get at least two or more full circles, you get all the pips.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

Are you ever forced into being the killer? I absolutely hated that part of Evolve, half the time you didn't get the role you wanted.

You actually choose if you want to be the Killer (you make the lobby) or the Survivors (try to join a lobby). Never forces, though it's more trying to find the players on either end.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Coolguye posted:

The twitch pubstar types duck this by always bringing a toolbox so they can sabotage hooks, which is also fine. Sabotaging hooks is pretty good for the survivor team because it makes it a ton easier to wiggle out and clown the killer for a much longer time. Though on the downside, if you do get hooked it's much more likely to be in the basement, where any sensible survivor is going to leave you to rot.

So the toolbox is more a gamble, you're sayin'? I can get behind that, as long as it did get nerfed. Or not, since I remember one generator taking a good chunk of your box.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Coolguye posted:

The toolbox is a gamble in the sense that it's very valuable, not that easy to come by, and if you die you lose it. If you have a box, the best thing to do with it by far is to sabotage hooks, in the context of a public game the downside isn't really that much of a downside because if someone gets hooked in the rape basement you're less likely to have half the team gently caress off from the generators and scope out a hook, when the overwhelmingly common outcome of this is to get two people hooked.

You shouldn't use your toolbox on a generator unless it's a really clutch generator, like the last one you need to open the exit while you know the killer's close by or something. Sabotaging three hooks, on the other hand, drastically reduces the danger of an entire section of the map since anyone who gets downed there will probably be able to wiggle out and force the killer to chase them again.

Oh, okay. Sounds good as a survivor then. Though are there any advantages to shutting down the rape basement? Or is it none because there could be more than one?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

He might just know that the killer loses out. If the killer disconnects, then the survivors keep their pips. If a survivor DC's you lose all points you could have gotten from that survivor.

Don't you still get the No One Escaped bonus if you do get the rest of them?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I believe so, yeah. I meant to say points you actually extract from that player... by force.

It would all depend on if you want to be efficient or just want to kill the gently caress outta them.

Also, consider demolishing any pallets after a successful hook. You know, to keep your work station clean.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

So, the general goonsensus is that the game is fun but playing it competitively sucks? I can live with that for :10bux: :10bux:

Yep! Don't worry about rank and instead worry about all the MURDERDEATHKILL bits that also involve being a sneaky bugger or something.

Also remember to try and be the Hillbilly in the corn field. Wonder if there's a way to see the map you're gonna be in.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Awe yeah, sounds real good to me. Auto-pip for loser disconnects sounds eh but passable.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So uh... is the game pretty good still? And is Michael Myers worth picking up? I forgot to play after it came out and whatnot. Only know how to be Trapper.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

A few games later, and I realized I need to look up how to survivor or how to killer. Only had one escape, and that was because the killer was just swinging without moving. So naturally my team farmed points.

I wanna use the Hillbilly and Wraith, but with the former it's hard to use the ability. And the latter... I dunno, doesn't feel right.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So I take it, the goon presence on this game is dead? I'm asking because apparently Bill from L4D is in this straight up. Like, they show him dead at The Passing, then whoosh he's with the others in a yard full of generators, hooks, and a magic school bus complaints of overpowered-ness.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Oh, well that's good to know. Might consider the DLC at a discount, at that rate.

Also, the game has been out for sometime and STILL you get people who struggle on the hook. Got sacrificed right as I realized he was struggling like a dingus.

But at least the hook dungeon is killer. Managed my only two sacrifices with the nurse in one. Also God the Nurse is... skill-based. That Blink requires timing and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

That does look like overbalancing, why do you ask.

Also, loving rip Ultra Rare perks man

If only I had Deerstalkers. :allears:

• Locked thread