Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Chiming in saying I had far less trouble with it as a kid. But really it's for the best, the suffering was the biggest draw of this LP.

Now that it's over (mostly?) I wanted to say "Still better than Super S!", but... eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Just finished marathoning the thread, and drat do I wish I found it earlier, I would have LOVED to geek out with the rest of you.

As for the 'story' of this, good lord, the translation just KILLS me.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

:aaa:

I did not know about the separate endings (spoilered in case you're going to show it)

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I honestly loved this lets play, and the things we learned along the way. I'd say that you getting literally 75%+ of the thread playing SMD is kinda funny in its own right. If there's anything else in this godforsaken game I wish you luck.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
fun fact: demon apsu's actual name is God of Destruction Apsu

also her ultimate attack is hilariously mistranslated but I'll leave that for scoob to bring up if they want to

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Blockhouse posted:

also her ultimate attack is hilariously mistranslated but I'll leave that for scoob to bring up if they want to

Well, since we aren't even pretending anymore: yeah, there's one update left, I leave work shortly, and I'll go into a lot of things people have mentioned.

And yes. I'm covering that gaffe because it's like a personal, direct middle finger to me and me alone.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Long time fan of Sailor Moon when it aired way back, and then it suddenly disappeared. Glad to have this LP to get me caught up with what I've been missing, and also listening to the highly enjoyable Sailor Business podcast. It's been a heck of a ride!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Looks like drops is doing the Minako event (again?) so good for those (like me) who didn't have her.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

So yeah, a couple of people killed the surprise before I could get home, but yeah, around this screencap in the last update, I began tampering with the recording a little bit.

But yeah, this is actually a full boss fight, and one of the few really good things I'll praise in Sailor Moon: Another Story. The game has two endings, one which is very clearly a "good" ending, and the other as the "you hosed up" ending. Last time, I ran with the worse of the two, which is achieved by having Sailor Moon's team wipe against "Demon Apsu" - another mistranslation, literally everything I found online, machine translated or otherwise called her "God of Destruction". Which, you'll recall, Beryl mentioned in passing when we saw her in the past.

If you die in this fight, the game instantly goes into Easy Mode: Chibi-Moon and crew come in directly where you fell off after the cutscene I showed, and while Apsu might regain her MP (I have no way of telling, short of memory checks, and I don't know where to look for that one), all her HP is right where you left it when wailing on her with Sailor Moon, and according to some guides, her defense is lowered as well.

I just want to point out, before I actually detail the final boss fight - Apsu's prior fight in the Tower of Time was the real final boss. While she has one attack that hits like a brick, overall, the prior fight was much more vicious. To actually get a level 99 party to job to Apsu was miserable. I had everyone defend and she ran out of MP before anyone was even in the red. To get them to die, I straight up had to back up a save, get everyone into critical condition earlier, and Sailor Moon was petrified as a "this is the easiest way to cause a game over I can pull off". And then I stripped them all of their accessories.

And it still took almost 10 minutes with fast-forward active.

Anyway.

Unlike all of the Opposito Senshi "Hell (element)" attacks, Hell Attack doesn't hit that hard comparatively. This is what she's going to use a lot of the time, and at this point, the team is more in danger if she gets a status effect off.

But then there's this offense against God and language.

If you're unfamiliar, the term Fin de siècle means "end of the century" in French. It's similar to the idiom "turn of the century" in English, or basically "end of an era". If you wanna go more in-depth, it's a cynical movement that was against the "decadence" of civilization. So, y'know, a perfect metaphor for Sin's raging against the Pax Luna combined with Apsu trying to end the Serenity Dynasty.

You may also notice that is sure as poo poo not what the translation has written there.

It's the ultimate attack in this fight, as thunder crashes down, a dome of darkness engulfs the party (causing a cool effect you will see nowhere else in the game, lookit those status portraits!), and nukes detonate on everyone. It will not come out often, but it'll be the big issue for a lower-leveled party here. If you look on that last one, you can also notice how the dragon head is background, and not a foreground sprite. Details!

One final detail before I get into a fuckload of transcription: I love that both Apsu's hair and the dragon's... fins? both wave in some kind of horrible celestial wind.

But I'll just return again, and toy once more with your fates...

Unlike Chibi-Moon, Sailor Moon is entirely willing to just blast a fool.

How...! NO! My body! GWAAAAAaaaaaa...

Also unlike Chibi-Moon, Sailor Moon knows finesse, which is how she kills Apsu and leaves innocent Sin alive!

Yes, that pun was intentional!

So everyone is teleported back to Crystal Tokyo.

Where am I...?
Near the Crystal Palace.
(immediately going into a defensive stance) Why did you save me!? We're enemies!
Eh, I don't know.
We don't want to hate anyone.
It's mostly because of Sailor Moon, though.
I lost... I lost everything...
That's not true, your friends are here, and your brother, too.

And at this point the camera pans to the right and it's just like... oh, yeah, they are.

Anshar was so worried about you, Sin.
Yeah! (heart) If you're alive, you should have given us call or something. (note: typo in translation)
Yeah, it's great that you're okay.
(points to Anshar) He was crying you know.
You promised not to tell her that!
Sorry, everyone... and thank you.
What are you talking about?
Yeah, Sin, thanks to you, we're all alive.
You helped us come all this way.
Yeah, because of Sin, we're all friends now! (pauses) ...Or do we thank Apsu for that?
(rolls her eyes) She's being weird again...
(laughs) You know, Ishtar may be right. It could have been Apsu that brought us all together.

Why, you...!
(Sin keeps laughing, and the camera pans back over to our heroines, who are all walking away at this point.)

Er, I mean... Chibi-Usa!
Yes?
This is yours...
(Anshar produces the pendant he accidentally took in the opening.)
Oh! My pendant! I thought I lost it during the parade! Thank you... you had it all along!
I was just keeping it until I could give it back... If it's okay... will you see me again?
Sure!

Bye, Anshar!

And Anshar leaves the game as embarassed as all of us are. Meanwhile, like all Silver Millenial women, Chibi-Usa will "ghost" Anshar ten minutes later and never stop.

Anshar is your boyfriend?
You saw...? It's rude to peep, Mamoru!
Well, as the old proverb goes, "People who are alike, eat each other."
Uh, I think you mean "People who are alike, MEET each other."*
Chibi-Usa, you're just like Anshar, having a loving sister and all.
Uh, it's not... quite the same...

* I changed this because it flowed better. The translation says "attract" each other.

Sailor Moon, take care of Small Lady.
Can do!
Bye, Pluto!

For the record: this is also dumb because Pluto has reincarnated at this point and just lives in modern-day Tokyo. She shares a drat loft with the other Outers!

Okay this one isn't nearly as funny as the other parts so lemme just skip to the good bit of the goodbyes, where Hotaru begins glowing...

Hotaru...? HOTARU!
I'm okay. My destiny is just returning to normal.
Yeah, Hotaru was a baby to begin with.
Yes, she's turning back into our baby.
Sorry, Chibi-Usa, it's time to say goodbye. I hope we can play again someday...
Hotaru...
Usagi, everyone... I'm happy we had a chance to fight together. I thought I might have to use my powers to make this world a void, but it wasn't necessary.

EMPHASIS MINE. And then Hotaru turns into a baby!

And at this point, everyone says goodbye and leaves.

The final words of the game are the twin Usagis walking into the house for food.

This time, the camera pans up into the modern-day Tokyo skyline...

...and the same moon appears, to signal credits.

Now we're actually done with the game's story. I'll do a bonus update at some point to show off how the game's soundtrack tries to recreate a few of the anime's themes, and probably show off the attacks/digitized voice acting, but otherwise, we're done here barring someone coming up with a really interesting thing I missed. I am pretty sure I covered every drat angle.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Last time, I ran with the worse of the two, which is achieved by having Sailor Moon's team wipe against "Demon Apsu" - another mistranslation, literally everything I found online, machine translated or otherwise called her "God of Destruction". Which, you'll recall, Beryl mentioned in passing when we saw her in the past.
I have a plot twist for you: Beryl says something different in Japanese. She talks about an 暗黒の神 ankoku no kami "dark god / god of darkness", where Apsu is called a 破壊神 hakaishin here.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Credit where credit's due: the whole "lose to the final boss and get an easier refight with a different ending" thing is kind of a neat idea. Not neat enough to be worth playing all the way through the game for, but still.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

Usagi, everyone... I'm happy we had a chance to fight together. I thought I might have to use my powers to make this world a void, but it wasn't necessary.

EMPHASIS MINE. And then Hotaru turns into a baby!
I love this, "It sure would've been a shame to T͎͇̯̟̪̺U̞͙̥̗̞R͉̺̤̣̣̬N̠͕̪̹̹̬͞ͅ ̢̝͙͖A̮̰͞L̥͚͍͉̺̻̺͠L͖̥̮̠ ̧̘͍̘̦̩O҉F̣̝̬̼ ͖͙̭̲͘Ẹ̪̹͉̹̬X̧̼̤̞̺I͉͔̩S͉̙͔͕T̯̯̻̼͍E̯̞͍̼͇̬̞͠N͚͚͙͚CE̠͉̮͡ ̦̘͔ͅI̱͡ͅN̵̻͖̱̦̻̻T̡̠̯̝O͕͇͜ ̱̺̙̠̙N̖͔̜͙̻͈̰͜A͓̣U̮̲̗G͍̪̭͍HT̺̜̮̦ ̞̫A͇͚͍̜͈̭L̘̪̬̫͓̝͢O̳̤̱͕̼̰̜N͕̳G̨͕͚͍̫̯ ̡̤͉̥̻̫̤Ẉ͔̪̮I̜̦̖̠̤̖̣T̶͎̭̫ͅH̢̺̬̼̬̠̲͍ ̖H̪̹̣U̡͔͈̟M̟̠͟A̭N̷̰̲I͈͎͕̖ͅT̷̝̮̠̩͈Y̨'͏̞͈̟͉S̹͈̺̻̩͈̩ ͇͢H͡O͇̮P͎̀E͚͎̻̦̳S̙ ̛͕̜̹̝̱A̱̫̬̱ND̛̰̳̥̥͚ ͈ͅD́R̢̮͓̻͇̦E̛̼̰͓͇̗̝͎A̹̬M̲̰͇͈̙͞S̤̪̯̤̹̳̯͠, sure glad that wasn't necessary! <3"

END ME SCOOB posted:

Well, as the old proverb goes, "People who are alike, eat each other."
Uh, I think you mean "People who are alike, MEET each other."*
This, however, sounds like something these translators might've come up with. I think the awful translation started to rub off on you at the end.

Just sayin', if you start referring to yourself as "I, END ME SCOOB", I'm leaving.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm sure the translation might have been literal there, but I'm just saying, as an English pun, mine's miles better.

I changed Jupiter's line, not Venus'.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 14, 2016

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm sure the translation might have been literal there, but I'm just saying, as an English pun, mine's miles better.

I changed Jupiter's line, not Venus'.
Oh.

I found it awkward because Venus' mangled proverbs are supposed to be goofy, not creepy, and the actual proverb is supposed to be something people actually say, and the mistake is punny enough to be something that one can reasonably confuse if one is a bit of a doofus.

So at least you made it fulfil at least one of the criteria. I still can't believe they went with the "eat" line. :stare:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I totally bought that the bad ending was the actual "canon" ending. I mean it's not like sailor moon hasn't had horrible results to battles before.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

FractalSandwich posted:

I have a plot twist for you: Beryl says something different in Japanese. She talks about an 暗黒の神 ankoku no kami "dark god / god of darkness", where Apsu is called a 破壊神 hakaishin here.

For those like me whose Japanese isn't advanced, 破壊神 / hakaishin = God of Destruction. (Forget busting out the kanji dictionary, I googled that poo poo.)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
There is an incidental thing I wanted to bring up and never had the chance. So, remember how earlier in the thread Scoob was talking about Mamoru's weird Moonlight Knight identity and how it just doesn't really make sense? Well, it feels really random to non-Japanese folk because it's a reference to one of the first Japanese superheros, Moonlight Mask.

(note turban, cape, and sweet motorcycle)

The American equivalent would be Mamoru dressing up as a cowboy and calling himself "The Lone Rider" or something equally borderline-copyright infringing.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

MarsDragon posted:

There is an incidental thing I wanted to bring up and never had the chance. So, remember how earlier in the thread Scoob was talking about Mamoru's weird Moonlight Knight identity and how it just doesn't really make sense? Well, it feels really random to non-Japanese folk because it's a reference to one of the first Japanese superheros, Moonlight Mask.

The American equivalent would be Mamoru dressing up as a cowboy and calling himself "The Lone Rider" or something equally borderline-copyright infringing.

So Lawrance of Arabia meets Kamen Rider?

I'd watch it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
That is actually super cool, and thank you for bringing that up. I'd always wondered what the everloving hell that arc was about.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
This game feels like someone went "Wouldn't it be cool if..." and no one ever bothered to stop them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Good job, Scoob. This thread has been great from start to scratch. You LPed for Love and Justice.

MarsDragon posted:

I learned something new today!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Now we're actually done with the game's story. I'll do a bonus update at some point to show off how the game's soundtrack tries to recreate a few of the anime's themes, and probably show off the attacks/digitized voice acting, but otherwise, we're done here barring someone coming up with a really interesting thing I missed. I am pretty sure I covered every drat angle.

the fact that they even tried at all with the voices was impressive, PCM audio on the SPC chip takes up a ton of memory even with their wacky compression schemes and they had a LOT of samples (over 50, at least).

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Aww, Chibiusa got her guy after all. :3: I am happy about the ending, but also wonder how long he lasted before she dumped him for a candy fairy and then a horse.

Thank you so much for suffering through this game for our sakes, Scoob. It's been so much fun to get together with other Sailor Moon fans and nerd out about old RPGs and mobile phone games.

And if anyone has any idea how to beat course 2, stage 7 without using nuclear weapons, I'm open to ideas. :stare:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm sad that we're losing this thread as a hub to talk about Sailor Moon Drops, but this LP has been tons of fun so I don't mind.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Senerio posted:

I'm sad that we're losing this thread as a hub to talk about Sailor Moon Drops, but this LP has been tons of fun so I don't mind.

Maybe we should start a Sailor Moon Drops chat thread and then we can derail that with how great this LP was from time to time. :haw: No, seriously, it would be awesome!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

The only thing stopping us is that someone has to effort post the OP.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I never did due to the one fella talking about making a mobile/candy crush clone thread. Gimme a day or two.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Nomadic Scholar posted:

The only thing stopping us is that someone has to effort post the OP.

I can do this. It'll take a while, but I can do it.

edit:

END ME SCOOB posted:

I never did due to the one fella talking about making a mobile/candy crush clone thread. Gimme a day or two.

I'll defer to you then, scoob.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 15, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
What ever happened to the Sailor Moon thread over in ADRTW, is that still around?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Instant Sunrise posted:

What ever happened to the Sailor Moon thread over in ADRTW, is that still around?

It is, but without Crystal or other news it's a bit dead at the moment.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Cheese Pain posted:

And if anyone has any idea how to beat course 2, stage 7 without using nuclear weapons, I'm open to ideas. :stare:

:agreed:

Hope we get a thread where we can continue with SMD-chat.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

the fact that they even tried at all with the voices was impressive, PCM audio on the SPC chip takes up a ton of memory even with their wacky compression schemes and they had a LOT of samples (over 50, at least).
I can't remember, is this one of those games where every attack name sounds like gibberish, because they told the actresses to spit them out as fast as possible to save on memory space?

END ME SCOOB posted:

What you REALLY need to do is face to bloodshed and make a Sailor Moon LP Megathread where you play all the bullshit hard SNES beat-em-ups. :unsmigghh:

And I guess you youngsters can also discuss your Smart Phone games there.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Pizdec posted:

What you REALLY need to do is face to bloodshed and make a Sailor Moon LP Megathread where you play all the bullshit hard SNES beat-em-ups. :unsmigghh:

I already have plans in the works.

https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/776191908955631617

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't have the energy to effortpost lately, so much appreciated.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
forget Sailor Moon, show me Virtual Springfield or go home

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pizdec posted:

There's only two of them. The SMR one is bullshit hard apparently near the end but the one based off the Dark Kingdom stuff was... Beatable (on normal with 5 continues and using Jupiter)

I dunno, with those you gotta go co-op or bust (and show off chibiusa mode in R).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FractalSandwich posted:

forget Sailor Moon, show me Virtual Springfield or go home

I own that, so... If I can get it running, sure, it's on the list.

But think weirder. If you've heard of half of what I have prepared, I hosed up.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiJkt0m9pE

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm really just playing drops at this point for new cute animations.

Well Minako's got really cute new animations, oh and I just got my last level for Makoto so lets see what her new special is-

:syoon:

This game is too cute. Too bad the cute part is hidden behind incredibly difficult match-three gameplay.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
On second thought, please make a separate Drops thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Pizdec posted:

I can't remember, is this one of those games where every attack name sounds like gibberish, because they told the actresses to spit them out as fast as possible to save on memory space?

Most of them are pretty audible and seem at a good speed, all things considered. Voice is some of the easiest audio to compress and most of their attacks are pretty short.

• Locked thread