Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
gchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hi the webex isn't working for me, one of 30 people, can we please waste a lot of time attending to my needs

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Cat Face Joe posted:

hi the webex isn't working for me, one of 30 people, can we please waste a lot of time attending to my needs

this is my boss, more or less daily

also someone joined the conference call 5 minutes late, boss asks to restart demo to make sure everyone is up to speed.

then that person also has webex problems.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

*attends IRL meeting over the conference call line and breathes heavily and slurps lunch*

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Iridium posted:

this is my boss, more or less daily

also someone joined the conference call 5 minutes late, boss asks to restart demo to make sure everyone is up to speed.

then that person also has webex problems.

at least one person in my department intentionally turns up for conference calls 5 minutes late, knowing for a fact that the demo will not have started yet and they will have missed nothing, thanks to everything else in this thread

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
we recently switched from lync to jabber, and everybody is mystified because while lync was lovely sometimes, but jabber is just a constant stream of liquid diarrhea all over everything

and our conference call system is now this undocumented mysterious bullshit where you dial a weird prefix and then an extension and it creates a room, except this works terribly if at all. like, if somebody shares their screen, it pops open a new window with that stream for everybody, but if anybody closes that window, it closes for everyone. also it defaults to showing video when you call someone, i eagerly await the first time someone gets fired for forgetting about this while they work from home and answering a call from the ceo with no pants on

and webex is restricted to "necessary users only" because it costs money per person who has an account, and thats just too much to pay for being able to have semi-functional online meetings

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
my work's slack team got invited to try out the closed beta group call features now integrated in slack. no idea if its a public feature now but it works Good

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
uh yeah, so the client will be dialing in via their vc equipment, the subcontractor will be using his skype account and our other boardroom is on lync while we'll use our polycom vc

is that a problem?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably will be ok as long as the skype dude has a good connection. also polycom is real good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
their phones are, atleast. never used their server side stuff

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

their phones are, atleast. never used their server side stuff

We had polycom before lync and for the conference room systems you had to literally hold the cable at the right angle like television rabbit ears for the audio to work and if anybody bumped it the audio would get super crackly

So basically what I'm saying is that I don't believe you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sounds like someone broke the plug. cant really blame that on the polycom.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
arcsech if your company went from polycom to lync to goddamn jabber please (try to) give james cameron a courtesy call so he can watch a ship sink in real time

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

all that stuff works together if you use lync and polycom realconnect, which is good

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

tried to interview a dude over Hangouts but he didn't have enough internet for it :mad:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

why yes, all these stretched, poorly alpha-channeled stock images are going to be in this presentation going out to customers, why do you ask?

Vonkrieger
May 14, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hands up who actually witnessed somebody falling asleep on a call and eventually forced a remake as no amount of shouting could stop his incredibly loud snoring.

*holds hand up*

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vonkrieger posted:

Hands up who actually witnessed somebody falling asleep on a call and eventually forced a remake as no amount of shouting could stop his incredibly loud snoring.

*holds hand up*

I had to discipline someone for falling asleep while giving an interview.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

lmao if you ever hear someone outside your org get fired on a conference call for being incompetent

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if i worked for a company that made/supported online conferencing i'd do everything in my power to make the experience worse for all involved

actively sabotaging online meetings is doing the lord's work

fortunately cisco conferencing, webex, lynx, "skype for business" has got it covered so far

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

carry on then posted:

why yes, all these stretched, poorly alpha-channeled stock images are going to be in this presentation going out to customers, why do you ask?

it's not like their presentations are going to be any better.

Bhodi posted:

fortunately cisco conferencing, webex, lynx, "skype for business" has got it covered so far

aren't lynx and skype for business the same thing? :confused:

can't join those anyways because they're windows only. Surprisingly that excuse is actually accepted here :c00l:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

tazjin posted:

it's not like their presentations are going to be any better.

aren't lynx and skype for business the same thing? :confused:

can't join those anyways because they're windows only. Surprisingly that excuse is actually accepted here :c00l:

They have a utterly loving awful mac client that works 50% of the time

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

most of the office 365 suite outside of the windows applications is either work in progress in a really obvious way, or clearly abandoned

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i'm the italian office with the angry shouting in the background which may equivalently be over martial infidelity or what's for lunch

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
*remote group discusses figure on slide in detail for 5 minutes whilst I flip through shared documents to find what they're talking about so as to be polite and not interrupt *

*gives up*

"hey what loving page you guys on?"

"oh sorry we're looking at something josh pulled up on his phone"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tazjin posted:

tried to interview a dude over Hangouts but he didn't have enough internet for it :mad:

i had a manager set one of these up for me to conduct and it was a disaster. never again.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Can Darth Vader please mute their line ...

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
*5 minutes after start time*

"The leader has not yet joined"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the great mystery with lync is how they managed to get online meetings mostly right and then fail so completely at all the trivial stuff (text chat etc.) that the overall impression remains one inducing anger and existential dread

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the great mystery with lync is how they managed to get online meetings mostly right

ahahahahahahaha

lol if u think

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
bump because it's happening again.

edit- it's a sprint review meeting one of our vendors is hosting. apparently my boss, a former PM, told them to use that old PM trick of "add everyone to the email thread until someone solves your problem out of frustration."

as a result, one of the "stakeholders" that got included has 1) never heard of agile development and didn't know what a sprint is, 2) hadn't heard we were redoing this website at all and has never seen any of this before, 3) wants to review each bit of the section for which she is nominally stakeholding, and now 4) is questioning the whole approach of this multi-year rebuild of our employee intranet portal

this is without getting into the tech issues they've introduced here.

... boss is now having to explain the concept of SSO to her, which we've done with this application for a decade now.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 28, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

seriyosly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

bump because it's happening again.

edit- it's a sprint review meeting one of our vendors is hosting. apparently my boss, a former PM, told them to use that old PM trick of "add everyone to the email thread until someone solves your problem out of frustration."

as a result, one of the "stakeholders" that got included has 1) never heard of agile development and didn't know what a sprint is, 2) hadn't heard we were redoing this website at all and has never seen any of this before, 3) wants to review each bit of the section for which she is nominally stakeholding, and now 4) is questioning the whole approach of this multi-year rebuild of our employee intranet portal

this is without getting into the tech issues they've introduced here.

... boss is now having to explain the concept of SSO to her, which we've done with this application for a decade now.

Fuckin lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
belated but we had an all hands last month where the webex audio didn't work for like 75% of the company

i had to go into someone else's office to watch it, but there was booze to be had in there :hellyeah:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I was on a call with a client today, and so was my partner. he's usually just riding shotgun to answer any major financial questions [he's the money], and it was going great. client was eating lunch, fairly quietly, was proceeding nicely. skype call, so you can tell who's making noise.

massive toilet flush from the partner's side. just like his phone was in the toilet bowl levels of clarity and loudness.

there was about 10 seconds of silence, and the client just bursts out laughing and laughing and my partner is like "wait what, i missed it, sorry i was on mute"

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I was on a call with a client today, and so was my partner. he's usually just riding shotgun to answer any major financial questions [he's the money], and it was going great. client was eating lunch, fairly quietly, was proceeding nicely. skype call, so you can tell who's making noise.

massive toilet flush from the partner's side. just like his phone was in the toilet bowl levels of clarity and loudness.

there was about 10 seconds of silence, and the client just bursts out laughing and laughing and my partner is like "wait what, i missed it, sorry i was on mute"

lmao

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

this is awesome lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump because

.lnk to the past posted:

*someone hits hold*
*muzak plays*
"DAMMIT NOT AGAIN"

i dont know what this meeting is about anymore

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Beast of Bourbon posted:

loving hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Hehe

• Locked thread