Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This is giving me PTSD, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I don't know how i missed this but thank you

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DrPossum posted:

I don't know how i missed this but thank you

This site/app makes a really good white noise machine to fall asleep to.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i only listened to a minute but not enough people talking over each other

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Adix posted:

i only listened to a minute but not enough people talking over each other

followed by a minute of 'no, you go' apologies

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thanks Ants posted:

*dials into conferencing provider with a cheap analogue desk telephone that happens to have a speakerphone feature*

"wow the quality of this service sure is bad!!!"

my desk phone is older than i am.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
the guy on this call with the truly grating voice is also on speakerphone in his car, and not muting it.

it is making my teeth hurt.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
the cellphone tick/clicking noise constantly..

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rooney McNibnug posted:

currently in a call when one of the participants started echoing after a few words, and it kept going louder and louder and louder etc for like a full minute, to the point where 4 people just left the loving call and i had to mute myself as not to add an explosion of laughter thanks bye

Lol i love it when stuff like this happens. theres a good mix of people that find it funny and people who get loving pissed

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

5 minutes of "can you hear me"

after that they seem pretty cool and competent tho

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I would pay good money to listen in to a real conference call where someone just piped in http://conferencecall.biz/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

vodkat posted:

I would pay good money to listen in to a real conference call where someone just piped in http://conferencecall.biz/

this would be phenomenal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

online friend posted:

this would be phenomenal

:agreed:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

had a multi dialin multi telepresence meeting the other day and it was laffo bad thanks to a shite system that nobody uses being randomly included in the invite. it took 15 minutes of the half hour meeting to get things sorted. it was like a clusterfuck hosed another clusterfuck in the same way galaxies collide but with more corporate muting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

multi dialin multi telepresence

mods

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Adix posted:

i didn't know I could feel 'triggered' until I found this thread

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
my company has polycom phones everywhere but we're supposed to use webex for meetings. the thing is nobody wants to use it and instead uses weird free conference call things that are extremely bad, the old conference call system which sometimes still works for some reason, or sometimes just gives up and puts an iphone on speaker in the middle of the table to host the call. also that happens a lot when there's no conference room available because in a company of several hundred we have four conference rooms.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we sometimes use a jabber client too and you get people using their phones wedged into a cup trying to do video calls with screen sharing

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Just wasting 20 minutes with an audience of about 40 for a remote presentation. skype and our poo poo conference phone system doesn't work. Troubleshooting by committee is a great thing

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DrPossum posted:

Just wasting 20 minutes with an audience of about 40 for a remote presentation. skype and our poo poo conference phone system doesn't work. Troubleshooting by committee is a great thing

every time we have to do live troubleshooting in an all hands meeting i wonder how much it costs the company per minute to have everybody sit on their asses listening to "can you hear me now? how about now?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

went into the sprint meeting today with my new laptop

hooked it up to the TV and lady gaga came blasting out of the newly connected 72inch speakers.

Then I fumbled with the keyboard shortcut to mute audio - it was already indicating it was muted but a new device means that its on, so I pressed that like 3 times until I figured out that on meant off in this case.

My shame, heard in front of all my team.

This is technically an online meeting because 1 guy has to call in.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

hooked it up to the TV and lady gaga came blasting out of the newly connected 72inch speakers.

Then I fumbled with the keyboard shortcut to mute audio - it was already indicating it was muted but a new device means that its on, so I pressed that like 3 times until I figured out that on meant off in this case.

congrats, you are the clusterfuck from the thread title

dont worry though, we all are at one time or another

for some reason jabber auto-starts video when you join a group call here, i'm just waiting for the inevitable awful mess thats sure to cause sooner or later

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sometimes you're the clusterfucker, other times the clusterfuckee

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsech posted:

for some reason jabber auto-starts video when you join a group call here, i'm just waiting for the inevitable awful mess thats sure to cause sooner or later

also theres an option to turn this off, which i have selected at least 3 times now but it never seems to stick

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

skype for business and blue jeans are very bad

ive never had issues with webex but i only ever do those with other companies, we dont have it

we used to have gotomeeting and it always just worked but we stopped using that now

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

KoRMaK posted:

i have this happen every time i unplug my headphones. also with lady gaga

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

ive never had issues with webex but i only ever do those with other companies, we dont have it

we used to have gotomeeting and it always just worked but we stopped using that now

loving blue jeans is
A W F U L  G A R B A G E
and i have no clue how they stay in business because nobody uses it again after the first time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also we had a conference call with video today that, due to our poo poo garbage for losers (us) system, the new participant couldnt figure out so they had to listen in to a full presentation and project discussion

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Agile Vector posted:

loving blue jeans is
A W F U L  G A R B A G E
and i have no clue how they stay in business because nobody uses it again after the first time

we use it

i dont know why but it's fine I don't care, it's not the worst but it's not good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

loving blue jeans is
A W F U L  G A R B A G E

when i first joined we had like 5 active systems, blue jeans being the "main" one

we're now down to blue jeans and skype for business, the plan is to phase out blue jeans but about 10% of my internal conferences are still on it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

blue jeans is really bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

we mostly use GoToMeeting and it works well. skype for business works well for quick internal meetings or calls.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its just so loving bad at chat

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
welcome to blue jeans

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

skype for business is ok if you only ever chat and teleconference.

never share files.

screen sharing is ok. this is just my expierience in a lil consulting firm of about ~30 people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

skype for business is ok if you only ever chat and teleconference.

never share files.

screen sharing is ok.

the chat is awful what the gently caress are you talking about

i bet it tries to establish as SIP call for each block of text and half the time it fails for some reason

its mind boggling how unreliably it delivers text

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the screen sharing and audio are
good i will admit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I guarantee the chat sucking is an artifact of how it stores the chats: in your outlook pst and not in real time.

i mean drat just do persistent chat sessions on the server and display the last 10 messages whenever you reopen a chat w/ the client and load more if the user scrolls back. ez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I guarantee the chat sucking is an artifact of how it stores the chats: in your outlook pst and not in real time.

i mean drat just do persistent chat sessions on the server and display the last 10 messages whenever you reopen a chat w/ the client and load more if the user scrolls back. ez.

ahahahaha omg yea thats so bad i bet it is how it does it. thanks for the chat logs you rear end in a top hat

mishaq posted:

the chat is awful what the gently caress are you talking about

i bet it tries to establish as SIP call for each block of text and half the time it fails for some reason

its mind boggling how unreliably it delivers text

in my expierience, if I send an IM while somoene has a green dot next to their name then they get the message. if not, they get it via email hours later.

• Locked thread