Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

for a while I would swap to hipchat if I wanted to try to bring a yosposy expierience to chat. it caught on with the team but it didnt stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
does hipchat have a legit client or is it web only/3rd party comedy client?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

like with slack, I only use the web client for hipchat.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

imo skype chat isn't bad, it's the entire skype ui that's bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

like with slack, I only use the web client for hipchat.

yeah that would make it worthless. need to have a legit client.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Shaggar posted:

I guarantee the chat sucking is an artifact of how it stores the chats: in your outlook pst and not in real time.

lol what :prepop:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo skype chat isn't bad, it's the entire skype ui that's bad

Skype, or Skype for Business? Because those are entirely different things that have nothing in common except they both do text and video chat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yeah that would make it worthless. need to have a legit client.

both slack and hipchat have legit clients, as well as mobile clients that actually work and synchronize messages across all clients

and even know to only push notifications to your phone when youre away from your computer, what a concept

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

in my expierience, if I send an IM while somoene has a green dot next to their name then they get the message. if not, they get it via email hours later.

half the time i send an IM in my company I get a spinny wheel and it never actually goes through

or it goes through and then i get a bounceback message a minute or two later saying it timed out or something

1-on-1 calls, group calls, screensharing and skype for business meeetings work almost flawlessly though :iiam:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mishaq posted:

half the time i send an IM in my company I get a spinny wheel and it never actually goes through

or it goes through and then i get a bounceback message a minute or two later saying it timed out or something

1-on-1 calls, group calls, screensharing and skype for business meeetings work almost flawlessly though :iiam:

lol that sounds like some idiot or some group of idiots set it up poorly

no idea how you do that, but I'm sure it can happen

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

if everything didn't work i would blame the idiots, but why JUST IM?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
loving 8:30am "web meeting" that naturally didn't get off the ground because WebEx. Ten minute delay lol.

And it's for cornerstone career goals and performance management.

My goal is to not have 830 meetings.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm now deaf in an ear from random screech coming from the phone.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

same guy that joins every meeting both via phone and computer without disabling the built-in mic on his laptop, causing a feedback loop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

if its an internal server maybe, but our skypes for business is on office 365 and sometimes I have the client not get a message on one of 2 devices. its bad and they need to go to persistent server side chat w/ client side notifications. its beyond easy to do but they're stubborn as gently caress about it cause OUTLOOK

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i had a classic one last week, it had:

* 5 minutes of people being unable to be on the call and the webex at the same time and just dialling off one then onto the other

* "hello? jo? hello? are you on mute? hello? i can see you on the webex? hello?"

* indian guy talking at 5000 words per minute so nobody new what the gently caress

* this was the best, somehow in an attempt to conference someone in the host dialled into someones voicemail so then they recorded the entire meeting and then got a "warning, this message is too long, please hang up, please hang up..." on repeat blasted out at everyone and probably hosed that persons voicemail up completely (good because voicemail is worthless)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

if its an internal server maybe, but our skypes for business is on office 365 and sometimes I have the client not get a message on one of 2 devices. its bad and they need to go to persistent server side chat w/ client side notifications. its beyond easy to do but they're stubborn as gently caress about it cause OUTLOOK

just lol if you add good connect in the mix so messages just unreliably go somewhere before disppearing

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

* 5 minutes of people being unable to be on the call and the webex at the same time and just dialling off one then onto the other

* "hello? jo? hello? are you on mute? hello? i can see you on the webex? hello?"

* indian guy talking at 5000 words per minute so nobody new what the gently caress

* this was the best, somehow in an attempt to conference someone in the host dialled into someones voicemail so then they recorded the entire meeting and then got a "warning, this message is too long, please hang up, please hang up..." on repeat blasted out at everyone and probably hosed that persons voicemail up completely (good because voicemail is worthless)

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

we've had people put the conference bridge on hold instead of mute from europe so it starts blasting "please wait, your call is important to us" or whatever the gently caress in german

this has happened multiple times

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

mishaq posted:

we've had people put the conference bridge on hold instead of mute from europe so it starts blasting "please wait, your call is important to us" or whatever the gently caress in german

I did this last week and our hold music is default opus number one. No regrets

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mishaq posted:

oh yeah, I've had that as well but in....japanese i think?

we should go back to operators with plug boards, far more reliable than whatever poo poo cisco produces

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

im joining a conference call later via the skype for business pstn cloud pbx preview. gonna be good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pro-tier cf

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

update: skype cloud pbx worked fine

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

mishaq posted:

Dun dun dun dun cha cha cha cha

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i unplugged my work phone about a year ago so i had to look it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW0VYKtJisw

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Roosevelt posted:

i unplugged my work phone about a year ago so i had to look it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW0VYKtJisw

yessssssssssssss

so many times someone put us on hold

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

thats a good quality

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/516/stuck-in-the-middle?act=1#play

you all should listen to this if you havent already. old man really likes this song

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 3, 2016

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
new procedure for teleconferences with our overseas office:

they all crowd in a boardroom and call the boardroom we're using

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FrozenVent posted:

This seems ok

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

FrozenVent posted:

the russians used a pencil

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Honestly probably the most reliable method if you only have two endpoints

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Arcsech posted:

Honestly probably the most reliable method if you only have two endpoints

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how else would you do it than dozen of you around a polycom and four of them around an iPhone

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

while one person on each end talks, ever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

might as well just call it a phone call with witnesses

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

we scheduled a bluejeans meeting this morning because someone has used bluejeans with this customer previously and we didn't want to give them yet another conferencing system to fumble around with

half of the customer side attendees couldnt get it to work, we switched to skype for business, lost 15 minutes doing this

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

FrozenVent posted:

we did this two jobs ago with our southern and mexico offices. this worked fine except if someone was speaking it would turn the speakers off on all the other phones so you could basically hold the call hostage as long as you were making some kind of noise.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
so last week we had the usual nonsense call

this time it was about a new contract approval / management package

cue a bunch of administrative assistants connecting from their laptops using the built in cameras

one by one they muted or put sticky notes over the camera once they realized that they all
looked 20 years older and 20 pounds heavier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
the presenter was a native Spanish speaker, i think Italian was his second. English was maybe fifth, so every fourth word was "ehhhhhh"

1.5 hours later. someone in our group asked about a heavily-used feature which the existing package has.

"ehhhh we do not have that ehhhhh function
ehhhh implemented yet. we ehhhhhh espect to have that in the next version"

at that point the head of thefinance group mentioned that they already had begun negotiations on upgrading the existing package and would not consider paying for something different

bloop bloop bloop everyone hung up

total fuckin wasteof time.

actually no. a proper breakfast was supplied, so it wasn't all bad

• Locked thread