Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

lol if you don't start the call that way then just leave for the rest of the duration

bluejeans always defaults to video on, so you gotta make sure you turn it off every time you join a meeting.

i've got bluejeans installed on my Apple iPad Professional so if I have an early meeeting or whatever i just roll over in bed and hit "bluejeans" on my Apple iPad Professional

i'm playing a dangerous game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wow blue jeans sounds like a piece of poo poo

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

jabber does the same thing

but everybody should already know it is a piece of poo poo, as it is a piece of software from cisco

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i dont even think it's open source so idk why we're using it

blue jeans doesn't piss me off nearly as much as mojo, which we also use. mojo is just about the worst. but open source!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I use goto meetings or skype for business. works for me.

webex works ok I guess but I have weird audio issues w/ it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i never have online meetings, just good old fashioned conference calls. better get off the group call-in number before the next meeting shows up!!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Arcsech posted:

jabber does the same thing

but everybody should already know it is a piece of poo poo, as it is a piece of software from cisco

there should be a send video toggle somewhere i think, at least our version has one

Bloody posted:

i never have online meetings, just good old fashioned conference calls. better get off the group call-in number before the next meeting shows up!!!

lol the rotating beeps as people keep dialing in and leaving waiting for the other meeting

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

there should be a send video toggle somewhere i think, at least our version has one

there is but it keeps toggling itself back on because gently caress you

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my last boss insisted that everyone have the loving camera on for some reason. i think he just enjoyed having power over us.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Daily ""scrum" phone calls" have degenerated from hot potato passing to QA Engineer yelling at people.

Erry day.

Also we had a nerd dueling banjos chain mail fight. Binary back and forth; I suggest base64. It was done. Then, QR Codes.

I made a magic eye.

:q:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

webex works ok I guess but I have weird audio issues w/ it.

nice linux

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bluejeans always defaults to video on, so you gotta make sure you turn it off every time you join a meeting.

only on mobile apps, desktop app doesn't

Shaggar posted:

it's really bad

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
someone has stolen all our Chromecasts

we had to find a projector, then pointed one of the Polycom's cameras at it so the folks on the other end could see the presentation

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

buttcrackmenace posted:

someone has stolen all our Chromecasts

New forums error message from radium???

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
we have a 20 person conference room with a lot of room at the back behind the table so people can set up chairs, it's used for any presentation with fewer than say 50 people, or a large teleconference. it used to have a projector that only had a vga input, a phone with a couple mics spaced out around the room, and no cameras.

at some point they got rid of all that and replaced it with

1) ceiling mounted mics that section off the room so the system can know who's speaking
2) two pretty big tvs, like 50 inches, mounted side by side in a white plastic hutch with
3) two extremely nice cameras, one mounted above each tv, that have swivel mounts that coordinate to go look at whoever's making the most noise on the mics that can be
4) controlled individually anyway and are nice enough to do things like zoom in and look in windows of buildings across the street, which is accomplished with
5) an ipad (might not actually be an ipad) interface that must be hooked up with a network cable, which is done from the top of this very nice expensive conference room table. if it's unplugged the system doesn't work and displays a complaint.

but the kicker is, the two tvs are mirrored. in both the built in videoconferencing and when you're just presenting something. and the tvs are pretty big for tvs, but this is a looooooong room and they're down at one end (and also low enough that you have to look around people's heads when everybody is sitting down) so they are actually worse than the projector. i think this all cost like $14,000

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Probably more than that. we've got a new setup like half of that with one TV a nice cam a tablet control and a pair of loose wired mics that was at least 5k, maybe 10

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah it will have cost more than 14k.

people always underestimate how large a display they should get for these kind of things, i put a 60" lcd in a room for 8 people and could definitely have gone larger.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i literally work for an av consulting company and we spec installs like that all the time

i can tell you two things:

1) it cost way more than 14k
2) its a huge piece of poo poo

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Architect is taking a call while riding his bicycle. Hear wind and traffic.

Looooooooooooooool

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Space Whale posted:

Looooooooooooooool

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Space Whale posted:

Looooooooooooooool

tell him he has a lot of background noise and then put him on mute.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Had an hour long meeting today via gotomeeting

4 of us in a conference room, 4 others each on their own webcam remote.

First computer crashes while Tech Director is mid sentence

Second computer, mine, kept loving dropping poo poo like screen share or webcame. If I wanted it back I had to restart which would mean the voice would go out.

We resorted to looking at spreadhsee that was pulled up on a local person ocmputer hahahaha There was tons of "hello" and clicking buttons to see if it would work. The new guy doesnt loving listen to well and doesn't notice that the room is getting irritated and was telling me to click THE loving BUTTON I ALREADY CLICKED, GOD drat PAY ATTENTION

Lol it was a good meeting.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Shaggar posted:

tell him he has a lot of background noise and then put him on mute.

I was muted and listening/laughing while I'm slowly going insane trying to fix a spaghettiplex.

Was cool af.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
our videoconferencing software just up and crashes if I try to join a room with my USB headset plugged in

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

sounds like it's doing you a favour

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

had another blue jeans meeting that was so bad we switched all 50 people to our cisco system. there was one gripe about being remote and needing access. we dropped the call before he finished lol get jabber dumbo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

That one rear end in a top hat who gives you a passive aggressive ping when you decline a meeting. 'oh, your calendar said you were free' yeah that don't mean i am at your disposal cocknuts

also goog keyboard read my swipe as agile instead of rear end in a top hat, loving Smooth

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what the gently caress kind of a name is 'bluejeans' anyhow

it means i have to deal with people asking me 'you want to bj?' unironically

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

maniacdevnull posted:

That one rear end in a top hat who gives you a passive aggressive ping when you decline a meeting. 'oh, your calendar said you were free' yeah that don't mean i am at your disposal cocknuts

also goog keyboard read my swipe as agile instead of rear end in a top hat, loving Smooth

people get extremely angry when i decline invites that are definitely irrelevant to me, like they will find me and be like 'why the hell did u decline this half hour meeting scheduled a month from now that doesnt involve u at all' and its like ??? what?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I had a skype for business online business meeting today. it was kind of cool that u click the link and my skype for business just connects to the meeting. the audio quality was balls but I think that was just lovely mics on other computers.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maniacdevnull posted:

daily rear end in a top hat stand up?

rear end in a top hat sprints?

rear end in a top hat scrum (ew)?

rear end in a top hat manifesto?

yep checks out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if you change waterfall to water sports it correctly describes agile waterfall dev cycles

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 18, 2016

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

30 minutes to get a webcam going with an interviewee. decided to get the camera working before dialing in, then promptly turned the camera off because it was dropping frames.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Roosevelt posted:

yesterday i had my first conference call with a significant number of people involved, and the first 10 minutes was exactly like that conference call simulator website, with the confusion, muffled audio, and mute button requests. someone was playing pokemon or something and you could hear all the beeps and boops. after a while someone who was apparently on their phone in the car rolled the window down, so whooshing noise drowned out the presenter for a couple minutes.

the meeting ran over an hour, was about our terrible insurance plan, and centered around a powerpoint. the presenter couldn't figure out how to screen share, so instead we watched a black screen while they described what the slides looked like.

:perfect:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Is there a way to set an outlook role to auto decline any meetings from a given list of senders? I feel this new streamlined workflow would facilitate expedited turn around for management-visible deliverables while conserving valuable corporate resources like my time

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
at my job, every single meeting is assumed to be an online meeting by default and while it definitely eats up about 5 minutes from every meeting, it ultimately works just fine and everyone has the etiquette down. it gets pretty routine and i'm confident it will get a lot better as online meetings become more and more embedded in our process.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they key is for a ocmpany to standardize on something and stick to it long enough for inertia to take hold

we switched to webex a few years ago and it was chaos at first but then everybody learned the system and got things setup on their computers and it was fine, everything's fine. it's fine.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

duTrieux. posted:

they key is for a ocmpany to standardize on something and stick to it long enough for inertia to take hold

we switched to webex a few years ago and it was chaos at first but then everybody learned the system and got things setup on their computers and it was fine, everything's fine. it's fine.

yeah, it's not good, but having a liberal work from home policy is good, so i'm willing to put effort into making it work.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, it's not good, but having a liberal work from home policy is good, so i'm willing to put effort into making it work.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we all call in to a Skype meeting. one of our PMs announces on the line that she's unable to get into the skype meeting.

that she is on, to tell us this.

update- boss running the skype followed this by closing down the whole meeting while trying to pass control to someone else.

he's giving up and trying to use his old Webex instead. this may not work, given that the office is trying to shut all of those down

update2- indeed, that didn't work. they're using the skype texting to coordinate everyone on the fuckery. one of our division people us offering to use his bridge instead which I imagine my boss, the poster child of insecure, low-T middle managers everywhere, won't want to admit to needing to use.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 19, 2016

• Locked thread