Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

yesterday i had my first conference call with a significant number of people involved, and the first 10 minutes was exactly like that conference call simulator website, with the confusion, muffled audio, and mute button requests. someone was playing pokemon or something and you could hear all the beeps and boops. after a while someone who was apparently on their phone in the car rolled the window down, so whooshing noise drowned out the presenter for a couple minutes.

the meeting ran over an hour, was about our terrible insurance plan, and centered around a powerpoint. the presenter couldn't figure out how to screen share, so instead we watched a black screen while they described what the slides looked like.

excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

why do people do this

i don't understand

because on reality shows celebrities have to put the cell phone on speaker

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Iridium posted:

Changing track for a moment, the trains at Atlanta's airport used to (before the Olypmics) have this bitchin cylon robot voice that I wish it still had, and moreso, wish I could have as my version of Siri, conference call bridge lady, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOZX2xa9OhI

HELL YES this was rad as loving poo poo as a youngun

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

mr. handsfree

excellent

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i have just experienced my first 'holy poo poo mute your loving mic' moment

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

sorry I just got heSORRY I JUST GOT HESORRY I JUST GOT HESQUOOKOOKOOKOOKOOKOOKOOK

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mad Wack posted:

half of my work is on my skype blocklist

when i get questions about why im never online i just shrug and say i have a ticket open about it

excellent

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mad Wack posted:

have you ever played meeting inception?

i have a vendor that will only use zoom for their meetings, it works fine on my machine but a lot of people i work with can't get it running. so i will join the zoom with one or two others, then we will use microsoft skype for business to bring in the rest of our group. also our french colleagues have not yet been included in phase four of the new company conference experience, so they will open up a webex.

it then goes something like this

vendor in zoom shares screen -> BA in skype for business & zoom starts sharing their screen of the zoom screen, in skype for business -> someone in the french office connects to our video conference (qualcomm) in a physical room and shares that over webex so long as the BA from step 2 is also sharing over qualcomm

sometimes then we also conference people in with iphones

its awesome and is almost as fun as our mixed lync/sametime/aol im environment

:lol:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

vodkat posted:

Which has lead to lots of student societies gaming the system at the start of the year and booking out lots of the best rooms for their weekly amine and pizza evening

lol @ letting students have access to room scheduling

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mad Wack posted:

at my job every conference room is owned by a department and assigned to the admin of that apt - this leads to you booking a room and getting a decline plus form email from the admin. there is no structure across the company for how these rooms are booked and each admin comes up with their own process so depending on what room you try to get you may just have a short im convo or you may be logging into lotus notes to submit a form to a database or even doing a transaction or two in sap. its really cool and good because every dept has way less rooms then they need so you get tribal warfare over rooms and hidden conference rooms.

my mind was blown when i went into finance and was introduced to the "cave" a conf room that looks like a group of cubes but the walls have been removed from the inside so people can meet. then after befriending the us controller i learned that the cave had a hidden cave that was actually a full conference room marked as a mother's room hidden in the back of the cave. also another group successfully lobbied to move the company convenience store to the cafeteria so they could turn it into a meeting room but they kept the keys with their admin so nobody could steal it. my dept (it, what a shocker) consolidated our data center and ops room into one room so the old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it

so yeah people get weird about conference rooms and meeting titles

oh forgot one other thing, all our official conf rooms have those little touchscreens where you can book the room but one day global changed the corp directory backend without consulting the vendor so now for four months they just say "error: unreachable host" and flash between red and green

i don't really pay too much attention to any of this as i am currently consumed in the coffee room wars

solid contender for the single post goldmine

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
this thread owns

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
consultants: you have no DR lol
trustees: guess we need DR
upper mgmt: labor, build us DR!
workers: uh its gonna be like 7 figures a year
upper mgmt: we're not paying for that, just make it work

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
they were utterly perplexed, absolutely loving baffled, that moving just the domain controllers and basic auth stuff to AWS would cost around six figures a year

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
"upper management loves AWS until they get the first bill"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mishaq posted:

uh, shouldn't be with reserved instances

there was a deal breaker with those, forget what it was

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Iridium posted:

PM- "Ok so next issue. This test user decided to attempt to inject SQL, it let him, and it returned an error. Do we need to lock this down?"
Tech- "Uh, no. It DIDNT let him, and gave an error saying don't do that. That's what that message is."
PM- "Ok can we make this friendlier? A lot of users won't understand this error."
Tech- "If we have that many users trying to inject SQL we have bigger problems."

lot goin on here tbh

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mishaq posted:

im the beers cooling in the sink

yeah remember when only the upper tier hotel rooms had mini fridges?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Iridium posted:

you ever notice that when someone says they have a question or comment and throw in "real quick", it's never ever real quick?

this is a source of conflict at my employer

to the point in which i will not take questions in the hallway

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

gtfo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
more and more im seeing that everyone works from home and everyone has dogs

graph
Nov 22, 2006