Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

most insanely boring presenter i've seen: "let's harness the excitement and energy we all have to move forward"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mad Wack posted:

that stuff is a must have if you work in a big company, remembering passwords is a titanic effort for most employees and they don't make systems or use tools to track them either

we had a senior director refuse to use jama at work because he didn't remember his password and found the reset page "confusing" and "not adding value"

sso is good poo poo, i already have to remember something like 5 or 6 different passwords that all change every 90 days and each have different requirements because half of them are for mainframe-era stuff that has a hard limit of 8 chars etc and no password manager

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

surprisingly for this company's pathological need to roll their own everything, we only have one sso and it actually works (!!!)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

oh boy today we're holding a scrum using the canadian tc system, where every voice prompt is unskippable and bilingual

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

sounds like one of those harvard comma sentences

"a webex with my boss, a crying baby and an erotically breathing man"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

p'zone zone

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

reminds me of the sad, slow decline of the prohibition party's convention:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Topics As Needed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i have no real complaints about sametime meetings

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the best way to help someone who's confused about release dates is to say NO. NO. NO. NO. while they try to explain what's confusing them, then contradict what you just said, then get huffy when they still don't understand

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the invite for this team education series says "meeting audio preferred" but every session seems to start with a lecture on how annoying everyone using meeting audio is :allears:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

GoToMeeting audio uses a codec that isn't 40 years old so it sounds much better than pstn audio

yeah, sametime meetings does too. but when you join a call ur mic is on and I guess this is somehow different than joining with your phone or something??? so we get an earful of whining from the host while he mutes everyone

and the someone on the phones makes background noise anyway

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ibmer spotted

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximum Leader posted:

ibmer in recovery, thank you

what division if u dont mind saying?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

today we held an all hands call using:

zoom for video
a phone conference for audio
sametime for screenshare

synergy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mishaq posted:

do you work for oracle

i hope the figgies are worth it if you do

no

this was way more complicated than usual, i think the end goal is to just use zoom but get middle management involved and all lmao breaks loose

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i dunno why we need to move away from stmeetings honestly. if the host sets up the meeting to use audio it works fine as an all in one thing. there are much more old-rear end programs to get rid of, like our support ticket system from the literal 70s

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

instead of "can everyone go on mute" we get "i'm going to go ahead and put everyone on mute due to background noise" 15 minutes into every call. from a guy who hosts this call every week.

just start out muted, christ.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mad Wack posted:

help

my direct report and my manager are heavy phone breathers

i keep quietly muting them then they keep unmuting

help

haha, the last time we had our demo call, someone had to ask "who's darth vadering the call" before we could get global mute turned on

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the current presenter has apparently perfected the art of making his voice always sound like he's whining. weird.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PCjr sidecar posted:

zoom is fine

ya

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

"Hey, it's Jim"

*5 Jims and 1 James are all on the call*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

just lmao if you actually have a hidpi work computer

windows 7 on a 1080p tn panel is the computer equivalent of "cubicle wall brown" in terms of office aesthetics

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol this thread got pissy for no reason

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no as i said i'm working on bringing ff support back. also safari support was dropped in meet because we are going with a pure webrtc solution and apple doesn't give a poo poo about supporting web standards.

last i checked it was still a draft

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol @ linux janitors willingly using linux on the desktop

just request a red hat vm from the vsphere cluster, what's the problem?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mod saas posted:

lol just lol if you're not simultaneously muted in the bridge, phone, and headset

this but forget that you joined the emeeting with your laptop and that automatically joined the call, too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Thanks Ants posted:

hosting a webex and not having any option for audio other than pstn dial-in

:negative:

some of the fogeys here have taken to putting a large DO NOT JOIN THE MEETING AUDIO in their meeting invites, even though it works completely fine and they never notice people using it anyway

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

if they don't start the webex by logging in as the presenter (either thru the client or phone pin) then people cant get in from the desktop client which means no computer audio. webex allows you to dial into the pstn side of the bridge without the presenter starting it so that's what those old people do.

then you get the situation where everyone is waiting for the meeting to start on their clients and the old person gets all huffy because the phone is good enough and he doesn't understand why people cant just do that.

a) it's not webex

b) that's not how it works, if the presenter wants to share screen (they always do in these calls) i think they have to start the meeting audio too. if they have to start it manually that's even more laughable because they're consciously starting something they don't want anyone to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

oh you're talking about the ones who use their own 3rd party bridge because its the one that has the same pin every time.

if the presenter joins in webex or GoToMeeting via the client everything is started so those should work.

no, i mean our (current) preferred conference system is not webex. has nothing to do with webex.

• Locked thread