Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I would pay good money to listen in to a real conference call where someone just piped in http://conferencecall.biz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

this is a good thread. reading about your terrible online meetings makes me feel better about my terrible life choices :unsmith:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

carry on then posted:

same, my desk phone is literally older than i am

lol :smith:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Is there ever really a reason why you need an online meeting and you couldn't just send and email or was so important you couldn't just send the person there?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Support management invited the entire company to a webinar about our recent salesforce rollout

Somehow 700 people joining a meeting at the same time didn't work....

If someone did this at my hypothetical job I'd pay some russian hacker $15 to ddos that poo poo or whatever and take the rest of the afternoon off

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

i just want to let y'all know this is currently the best thread in yospos. keep it up :five:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

This thread has persuaded me to apply for a job in HR so I can spend years not understanding how video conferencing works and drive thousands of nerds insane in the process.

Thanks yospos :unsmith:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Necc0 posted:

we were in the middle of working through a lab and someone broke the silence by screaming real loud and now it's quiet again and no one seems to want to acknowledge that just happened

thanks for the new webex game. occasionally scream and see if anyone notices.

literally months worth of fun right there :cheers:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

at my job every conference room is owned by a department and assigned to the admin of that apt - this leads to you booking a room and getting a decline plus form email from the admin. there is no structure across the company for how these rooms are booked and each admin comes up with their own process so depending on what room you try to get you may just have a short im convo or you may be logging into lotus notes to submit a form to a database or even doing a transaction or two in sap. its really cool and good because every dept has way less rooms then they need so you get tribal warfare over rooms and hidden conference rooms.

my mind was blown when i went into finance and was introduced to the "cave" a conf room that looks like a group of cubes but the walls have been removed from the inside so people can meet. then after befriending the us controller i learned that the cave had a hidden cave that was actually a full conference room marked as a mother's room hidden in the back of the cave. also another group successfully lobbied to move the company convenience store to the cafeteria so they could turn it into a meeting room but they kept the keys with their admin so nobody could steal it. my dept (it, what a shocker) consolidated our data center and ops room into one room so the old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it

so yeah people get weird about conference rooms and meeting titles

oh forgot one other thing, all our official conf rooms have those little touchscreens where you can book the room but one day global changed the corp directory backend without consulting the vendor so now for four months they just say "error: unreachable host" and flash between red and green

i don't really pay too much attention to any of this as i am currently consumed in the coffee room wars

loving lol, this thread just keeps on delivering :gettin:

We have a similar problem at my university, limited space with everyone trying to snag the good conference rooms in advance. The universities solution was to institute an online booking system, but to hide all information about availability. So when you want to book a room you have to randomly input a room and date with no knowledge of whats free or where, until computer randomly says yes. This obviously leads to a massive amount of time wasted in trying to book a room and in totally inappropriate rooms being scheduled for almost every meeting.

Worse than that is that the system is completely blind to who is doing the booking, why and where. Which has lead to lots of student societies gaming the system at the start of the year and booking out lots of the best rooms for their weekly amine and pizza evening while real adults actually need a boardroom have to trudge down to flooded basement room 5671. To even try and overule the system you need to be at least a head of department or better, its loving ridiculous. I've been to several book launches this year that were held in the shitest, tiny rooms which were overflowing with people because the organisers couldn't book a better room all while knowing that the plush 'impress people' rooms were practically unused at best and often completely empty.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shaggar posted:

setting up a secure transport between you and an unknown party is literally impossible so faxing provides a workaround.

faxing on the other hand is totally secure :nsa:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

oh god, or get a job at a place that you care about

do that instead

lol if u care about a company

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shaggar posted:

only because we pay them to. and we only need to pay them to because our incompetent government couldn't build working rockets once they let politicians start setting production goals.

meanwhile our capitalist system has created much cheaper launch systems that will be filling the gap our failed government systems could not.

shaggar: capitalism isn't the problem democracy is

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

its me, I'm the guy who's happy to have his name plastered at the top of this

• Locked thread