Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Penguissimo posted:

post the number

no, and besides like i mentioned they moved away from it to using skype bridges.

though i do still call into it once in a while if i know network issues are going on. but nowadays it's reserved for network outages so hardcore it takes down all our skype messaging stuff. fortunately rare (and regardless, not my loving problem anymore lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Share Bear posted:

lmao if you ever hear someone outside your org get fired on a conference call for being incompetent

lol storytime

back in my Ops days, they called an emergency, we all hopped on the bridge. it was an LDAP issue at one of our subsidiary locations, a small spot. their AD had gone offline somehow and nobody could log in to their workstations and poo poo. i got dismissed from the call since it wasn't my area, but i hung on cuz it sounded weird. all our AD guys agreed that the server was unreachable, but it was in their remote tiny datacenter so they had to have the single local IT guy check it.

except he wasn't there. the director of that location was called in and said he'd run to Staples and wasn't sure when he'd be back. they had to patiently explain to him that until the guy got back, nothing could happen, because we couldn't touch the server from corporate while it was offline. so the director kept calling the guy's cell.

after like half an hour he called into the bridge from the parking lot, tons of noise, said he was buying a network hub and he'd call back in when he got back to the office, and hung up. a little while later, boop, the AD server comes up and everything seems ok.

but our network guys start interrogating him before closing out the bridge to find out what had happened. they were eventually and reluctantly told that their switch had run out of ports. rather than contact them to make arrangements for a new one (which is part of what they handle on behalf of the subsidiary locations like this), he just went and got a little D-Link hub, plugged it into the switch, and moved a few cables over to it. and it turns out the AD was one of those. the whole emergency was caused when that little 4 port (FOUR. PORT.) hub had finally died.

and god bless the mute function because i was laughing my loving rear end off while our network guys tore him a new rear end in a top hat about it.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
there are two women i work with that, on a conference call, apparently sound similar enough that my boss can't tell the difference between the two. so roughly once a week he'll launch into a robust round of mansplaining aimed at the wrong person.

you can generally hear people cringing as he does so.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
1 - "... so I can set up the scripts to..."
2 - "I'm sorry, can someone mute their phone? There's a lot of background noise here."
1 - "Sorry, that's me, a group of people just walked in to the lab and are making a lot of noise."
2 - "Ok can you mute please?"
1 - "But I'm trying to answer your question, there's nothing I can do about it..."
2 - "I think if you hit star six..."
like four people at once - "But he's trying to talk to you."

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
morning status meeting

Dev: "We haven't been adding in this attribute for these content items. We can get it added but so long as everyone's clear it's going to take some effort."
PM: "So is this something that can be scripted?"
Chorus of devs: "No."

2 minutes of explanation later

different PM: "Ok, when we set up this script can we..."
Chorus of devs: "Noooooo."

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
dont forget the guy who sets up a meeting, doesn't cancel it, but then doesn't show up because he figured nobody would be there since nobody accepted the meeting

and yet you show up anyway because the reminder popped and you hadn't realized it was on your calendar.

edit- and/or the meeting that everyone else agreed to cancel in an email chain you weren't added to.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
ah speaking of dial ins, my boss just sent an email out to the whole team asking that everyone attend our project status meeting in person

cuz i assume he's entirely ignorant of the fact that almost everyone who dials in does so cuz they're remote mondays, and a t minus 30 minutes request that they show up is futile.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Bloody posted:

lol if only. ive worked on it full-time for years

so, it's you... it only exists in your mind

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Iridium posted:

ah speaking of dial ins, my boss just sent an email out to the whole team asking that everyone attend our project status meeting in person

update, the same normal group is here regardless / on the phone regardless. apparently there's a critical outage with one of our systems keeping everyone else out anyway.

i can feel the saltiness radiating off my boss from across the room.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
"Ok, any notes?"
"Yeah, so, folks on the phone, everyone that can see this screen... can they see your screen?"
"Yeah, they can... I think they... oh, no I never set up the sharing."

<5 minutes of silence as we get the screen sharing set up>

"Ok, any questions? No? Ok, good meeting."

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we have a big deployment into our prod environment this weekend. they've been warning us that we'll need to be available for the weekend for a while so it's no surprise and everyone had been making plans to deal with it. meanwhile my wife's parents are going to be in town, and while i don't need to spend a lot of time with them (thankfully), i still need to be around. since i'm not one of the hands-on people for this session i'd planned to be on email and call in if they really need me.

but they decided to use this morning's scrum call to announce to everyone that they're expected to be in the office for it.

one, lol

two, the people doing actual work are: our prod server guy, and the vendor's tech guys who are in minneapolis and would be remote anyway. anyone else who would be involved would be advisory only, as in, over the phone.

three, someone actually suggested being together for it would be good for 'team building'. last time we were required by my boss in particular to come in on weekends to work on a project, it took two months of wasted weekends, was a massive clusterfuck, and openly destroyed one of the best partnerships between a pair of devs in the office who, six years later, still hate one another.

so, good times, brilliant leadership. i pity the operations guy who will be there alone with two PMs and at least two middle managers.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
this thread represents the core of everything yospos is.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
sorry, this started as a lol anecdote and turned into a story. but fuckit.

our current huge project, the one that we'd been asked to work on in the office this weekend, the one that was recently moved to "AT RISK", the one that's cranked my alcoholism to 11 lately and had me ideating suicide basically hourly for the past couple of weeks... has been pushed off a couple of days,

we've been very heavily dependent one our team that handles the identity management poo poo the whole buildout. my boss, basically weekly in our stupid mandatory one on one session, always asks if I see any looming concerns and every single time i point out that if the IDM poo poo isn't in perfect working order, we're sunk while they right their ship.

last weekend those guys were taking a huge step in migrating a very very critical app from the old IDM platform to the new. as in, the app that hosts people's paycheck info: to most employees, the #1 by a mile most important thing we do.

we've had a project every year since 2010 to replace the old app, only to have it pushed back. the old has been out of support since ~2009, and in fact the company that created it is no longer in business. they've gotten the new platform largely stood up and are slowly migrating applications to it. i hate the old app. i used to support it, in part, in operations. years of problems, and sketchy projects to try to fix it, and management pushing off the replacement went from being a constant pain in the rear end to what is effectively an outright insult in the face of the years i've been warning people of the coming apocalypse this is causing. and yet, because the new app keeps being a struggle for that team to put together correctly, dipshit project managers wheel and deal and keep relenting at the last minute and let their apps be built out on the old app solely so that they can meet their dates, which is just a direct add to our deep, deep technical debt.

now, granted, i don't support it anymore. the projects i work on are dependent on those guys obvs, but really there's no skin off my back. but that insult factor gets to me, and i try to do what i can to make life less poo poo for the operations guys that do have to gently caress with it weekly.

that migration last weekend broke everything. and had to be backed out to the old platform. we can't move forward until they decide how to fix it, and we may be launching a huge new project on that old platform.

the new platform is oracle.

gently caress oracle.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

uncurable mlady posted:

this is some Sophie's choice poo poo

you know that scene in fight club with the plane crash poo poo? where jack's just kind of calmly looking around at the open section of the fuselage as they all plummet as if this was a totally normal, daily occurrence?

that's me, here.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Captain Foo posted:

please do not kill you are self, forums poster Iridium

yeah, nobody wants that.

did get a new av tho.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Phobeste posted:

we used yammer for a while. what a lovely, purposeless product. it was clearly our execs giving someone a kickback

we used yammer for a while because microsoft was desperate to push it and threw it in with our general licensing.

it was universally hated, almost completely unused (for unclear reasons the financials people loving loved it), and eventually replaced with Jive.

jive is getting slightly more activity because the communications people are sort of forcing people to go there for certain updates on this or that. not a lot of interaction though.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
someone at one of our divisions, someone i've worked with a lot before, sent a couple of questions out to an email chain that a PM had started.

naturally, this turned into a small clusterfuck as a few people started answering her, or asking me for the answer and then translating it badly into email. after a bit, she gave up and called me and we hashed it out quickly and easily.

afterwards she was kind enough to do an email back to the whole group (including PMs, managers, directors, etc) saying "Nevermind, I got what I needed. I should have called <Iridium> directly in the first place."

and i'm all

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Mad Wack posted:

one company i worked for had a free dr pepper machine and it was used responsibly

yeah we have free soda fountains for the IT department, mostly as a vehicle for getting diet mountain dew to the development team.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

keyboard vomit posted:

lolin at the thought of working with so many manchildren that free soda is mandatory

the devs dont make it mandatory, the need to keep them going through late hours makes it a worthwhile business expense.

i typed this half in jest, but...

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

ArmZ posted:

have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

I... no.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

maniacdevnull posted:

someone call radium, the signature showed up but the post content must have vanished...

he's been purgatorybanned

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
morning scrum call

<after a great deal of arranging meetings>
PM: "Ok, well everyone have a good friday..."
Tech Guy: "Uh, hey, I have an update?"
PM: "Oh! Well we're not used to that on this morning call but go ahead...."

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

DuckConference posted:

It's real and the whole thread is good

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
friday morning we had a conference call with one of our divisions. i clarified at the time that the list of URLs we'd want to use is in this here spreadsheet, and we want the stuff specifically from the QA3 tab. we're using QA3. not QA1.

i followed this up with an email after the call to clarify: QA3.

shortly ago i get an email. the division rep, who had been on the call and got that email, used a link and was getting errors. i asked if she could send the URL. it was QA1.

so i clarified again, just to be sure: plz use QA3. QA1 isn't configured for this. we need to do all testing in QA3.

she replies to say she sees a tab called QA3 in the spreadsheet, and asks if this is what she should be using.

so what are the symptoms of a brain hemorrhage again?

also unrelated, just got promoted. it comes with a title change, more money, and nothing else different at all. gg me.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

From years of dealing with poo poo like this the solution is always:

1) Delete all tabs except the one you want them to use.

2) screenshot the information you want them to see

3) giant arrows

My old boss once chided me for treating people like children. Then got 3 "gold stars" from the clients for providing them with clear, concise instructions.

Also, don't get me started on the gold stars, the email awards you get which have no monetary value but serves as a corporate thank you.

totally agree! my limitation in this case is that i'm working from someone else's spreadsheet. what i had done was filter out to the relevant info, print that to a small PDF, sent that around (but with a link to the full spreadsheet for visibility, since they will eventually need QA1 etc) to keep them focused on the right poo poo

someone just had her go around it to the master list.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

45 minutes into the meeting: nnnnnnNNNNRRRRGH *splashpfffrtttttfrtttt*

immediate meeting collapse as everyone either cracks up or exclaims in disgust

pro post-av combo

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
me- Ok, so I guess my concern is the process side. We want to make sure if <group> is working on this they have all the details they need.
vendor- well this one's much more complex and is probably better suited to an admin role, like Lynn than the casual editors you have in <group>
me- Ah, ok. So we'll have to wait until she's back tomorrow so we can scope the workload for us.
Other tech- right but she's pretty heavily loaded but she's already been working with <group>, maybe they can handle it.
vendor- no, just to be clear, this is a much more detailed level of effort than <group> has been working on. it's really more at Lynn's speed.
PM- ok so what i'm hearing is that we need to get this documented so that <group> can get to work on it.
vendor- ... no. <explains again>

5 MINUTES LATER

PM- ok, action items, we need to get the documentation for <group>....

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Lynn is the best but yeah rip

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

duTrieux. posted:

lol at the concept of a PM giving a poo poo about what the vendor thinks

looming deadlines lead to some crazy pm poo poo

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
morning scrum. for the first time in memory, this PM has interrupted everyone who were going off into the weeds on a technical issue and asked that they save it for a later meeting that was arranged to discuss it.

of course, everyone is getting into it anyway because ignoring him has become a group reflex.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

mishaq posted:

lol if you don't have a good pm that you respect

we've had a few actually.

one went along for a while until she got fed up with my boss's poo poo and jumped over to manage the QA department where she doesn't have to deal with him so much. she's been pretty successful over there.

we had a contractor last year, too, who was quite good. she lives a few miles from the office and said it'd be a dream job to work there. they offered her a permanent position and she turned it down... because it would have meant reporting to my boss. she didn't renew her contract and is now instead working for one of our divisions.

most of the other PMs we've had have spanned the spectrum of mediocre-at-best, with a few going into truly dire territory. the current one is pretty middle of the pack but picked up on why we have rotating PMs pretty quickly.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
today's scrum call was interrupted by

1- the QA lady announcing she couldn't access email due to network issues so
2- she walks to the PMs cube to get him a copy of the defects list, which
3- he instructs her to give to another manager to distribute to the whole group, but that manager
4- takes the time over the phone to try to start helping her troubleshoot her network issues until
5- i give up and drop off

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
"You are now joining the meeting as a leader."

but is he, skype voice? really, is he?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
PM to vendor: "We had this critical outage yesterday... you guys are Oracle experts so you may recognize this term: kernel panic?"

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
my company rolled out onedrive a while ago and it's not bad? i mean i strictly use it for my own storage, and not a lot of that. but then i'm also not using it to share files or anything.

otoh my perceptions may be off kilter in this regard because prior to this our infosec team would only let us use their own preferred app which was some slow as poo poo web based form thing that was a constant pain in the rear end to use at all times, requiring logins for each session (can't do that native windows poo poo), etc. and in spite of being marketed to employees as a way to get files to offsite vendors, this always involved so many hoops that just emailing the loving files was more reliable.

this was not helped by the fact that collaboration with division partners was not really feasible with this tool, so our one division let us in to their instance of Box for a particular project, at which point the grass got so loving green over that fence that we started getting executive-level encouragement to ignore infosec at which point we could reveal that we had rogue installs of dropbox all over the place anyway.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 23, 2016

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Thanks Ants posted:

we are moving to some new tool for documentation in the new year, and the excuses from the team that are running the project are already flowing in. "if you cant store the file type you need in this, just put them in sharepoint and add a link in the comments field". gently caress you, one of the only deliverables this project had was to replace sharepoint.

mmmmmmmmmmmm yeah, that brings back some good memories of similar.

it also reminds me of why i've been repeatedly shot down in my suggestions that we as an organization commit to a singular operations wiki.

"well my big concern is that if something changes, like lets say the network team makes us all change IP addresses again, we don't have a single way of editing all of it", and therefore the ops team was asked to rely on 1) sharepoint docs that are even harder to keep integrated, and 2) the knowledgebase in our oft-changed ticketing system.

glad i got out of ops but gently caress if i'm not in the same boat in that regard.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
when i was in ops i spent some time putting together documentation for the help desk, not so that they could fix poo poo, but so that they could classify stuff correctly.

a year or so later my manager suggested i write it up and i pointed out i had. the help desk said they had nothing of the sort.

we went digging around their office and eventually found it in the cabinet where they keep most of their documentation, which is of course locked at all times with a key only their manager had.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
that in turn reminds me of another knowledgebase moment. one of the directors had decided to shell out to some consultants, the sort who work independently and will basically claim they can do whatever to latch on to one corporation, to work on the KB poo poo. this morphed into redoing our DR documentation, and so he set up an interview with me about it.

"so what would the timeline be for you to get <big app i will call Blue for the gently caress of it> up and running again?"

"well what kind of a disaster are we talking, really?"

"if the datacenter was gone."

"gone? like, totally flattened? probably years, because aside from the fact that we'd need to find or build a whole new hosting solution before anyone can begin work, I'm completely dependent on <list of other apps including our whole PeopleSoft instance>. Blue can do exactly gently caress-all without those things. and then since that'd mean the content systems are gone, they'd have to rebuild that system and hope they have a recent backup, even though i know for a fact the backups are sketchy as gently caress for that system..."

"ok but no, really."

"no, really. the communications people may literally be in a position where they have to recreate every image and every document from scratch. not that any of that will matter in the least if the login system can't..."

"ok so what if it was just Blue?"

"just Blue? the 16 redundant servers hosting my app all simultaneously evaporate while the whole of the rest of the datacenter is totally ok?"

"no but like the datacenter is gone too"

"... years. I just said..."

"ok fine, just Blue then, it's gone, how long does it take to fix it?"

"i could get the basics up and running in about two weeks AFTER the hardware guys have gotten me access to new servers, and i doubt it would survive the load of the whole corporation..."

"<writes down two weeks> OK GOT IT THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME."

maybe we need a thread for disastrous recovery plans.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Buff Skeleton posted:

but whats the plan when the company itself is the disaster

Captain Foo posted:

My dr plan involves whiskey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

BiohazrD posted:

our dr plan is basically "if the data center goes away it's the nuclear holocaust so who cares"

that's what i used to tell them! nobody liked that tho.

we've since opened a second data center on the other side of the country where backups and, sometimes, cold standby servers / VMs are stored. but waaaaay more importantly, it's also not at all my loving problem anymore.

• Locked thread