Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the great mystery with lync is how they managed to get online meetings mostly right and then fail so completely at all the trivial stuff (text chat etc.) that the overall impression remains one inducing anger and existential dread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i keep telling people to just give me a call if there is any issue where it would help them out to get my input

they never do

either suggests nice colleagues or me being p. drat useless

the truth is in the middle

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the title alone is enough to make this a high-value thread

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

install linux on the video conference machine, your boss is bound to reward your initiative with raises and promotions

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

threaded chat is retarded and its gonna take a while for them to pull it out.

it is a bad enough idea that i would be unsurprised if they make it optional within a quarter or so. unless of course they have managed to entangle the threading with a bunch of other things

vastly improving your product by removing a feature is a rare pleasure though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just uninstalled sfb, the exchange account, and slack from my phone. a new life is here, and i do hope to never have another online meeting. i will keep following the thread to remember why

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

slack is such a 2016 it bubble company though that i can't really stand them being successful, despite it being fantastic when we got the license and a billion stupid bots flourished

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

that was one of the few things old big telco did 'well', spent a few tens of million on VC then banned all travel below C level. utilisation was very high but people were still useless at it

except that is super-bad since face-to-face meetings are so much better. i have only ever worked with one client who i feel placed appropriate value on getting people on the road to meet the people they work with, and never an actual employer

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in my last job it was felt expensive to have actual speakerphones in the meeting rooms, there were sfb setups, but if you needed an actual phone the official line was that you'd pair your cell with a bluetooth thing. bluetooth as usual was horrible to deal with. end result: when actual customers with actual teleconferencing setups wanted to meet the head office called in first, and we called head office on sfb and lived with a speaker-microphone air gap across the country before it got to the client wherever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i kept a stock portfolio analysis platform alive on a bad release version of the code for a few weeks by coming in every morning before the markets opened and clicking on a bookmark i had created which injected a piece of code which unfucked some of the data it relied on

good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mod saas posted:

he's having the system call him and then no-answering

this makes a fair amount of sense, cause and effect is backwards, him not attending causing the issue, not the issue causing him not to attend

• Locked thread