Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

No, we are not permitted to have "mute" buttons on the actual phone. The idea, as it was explained to me, is that it's an info-security thing. People at neighboring cubicles might have discussions where proprietary information is exchanged, and we have to be able to mute our phones when that happens, BUT without a positive signal that our phone has been muted we can't be sure that it's on mute.

Evidently there's some process by which you can set the menu back to "short" (where it only says "YOU HAVE NOW BEEN MUTED, TO UN-MUTE HIT STAR-6") but:

*You can't get into this conference-call menu unless you're in an actual conference call
*The option is apparently buried three menu levels deep and there's no indication of where you have to go to change it
*It doesn't persist, so you have to do it again every time you dial into a conference.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

at my job every conference room is owned by a department and assigned to the admin of that apt - this leads to you booking a room and getting a decline plus form email from the admin. there is no structure across the company for how these rooms are booked and each admin comes up with their own process so depending on what room you try to get you may just have a short im convo or you may be logging into lotus notes to submit a form to a database or even doing a transaction or two in sap. its really cool and good because every dept has way less rooms then they need so you get tribal warfare over rooms and hidden conference rooms.

my mind was blown when i went into finance and was introduced to the "cave" a conf room that looks like a group of cubes but the walls have been removed from the inside so people can meet. then after befriending the us controller i learned that the cave had a hidden cave that was actually a full conference room marked as a mother's room hidden in the back of the cave. also another group successfully lobbied to move the company convenience store to the cafeteria so they could turn it into a meeting room but they kept the keys with their admin so nobody could steal it. my dept (it, what a shocker) consolidated our data center and ops room into one room so the old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it

so yeah people get weird about conference rooms and meeting titles

oh forgot one other thing, all our official conf rooms have those little touchscreens where you can book the room but one day global changed the corp directory backend without consulting the vendor so now for four months they just say "error: unreachable host" and flash between red and green

i don't really pay too much attention to any of this as i am currently consumed in the coffee room wars

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i half thought your post was a joke, god drat

at my first job out of college my team had enough budget/clout to build our own little walled fortress on the floor, so we had one room with 6 cubes and a connected conference room we had exclusive control over, needed a badge to get inside

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Like in Silicon Valley when people got mad about how they had so many white extras in the background for the techcrunch disrupt episode when they actually shot footage from the real thing

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

i decided to sit in front of the screen today and block both the remote participants from the room and the room from the screen share. i felt pretty good with that actually

you screen share via a video conference camera pointed at a projector screen? :stonk:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

chmods please posted:

lol we interviewed a a candidate in a remote office today and the s4b machine in our conf room bluescreened five minutes into it

microsoft makes very bad software

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

leftist heap posted:

a few pages back there was talk about retraining users from bad software. when i did contracting for the provincial government their users had a pathological fear of the back button in their browsers from years and years of lovely webapps that couldn't handle it. they always always requested a soft back links for everything and were wary when i would tell them "you know you can just use the back button right?"

enterprise application induced ptsd, lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

i'll write about the coffee room wars when i have a bit more time

in one of our conference rooms the facilities techs couldnt be bothered to install a projector screen so they marked where the projector hits the wall with a blue painters tape rectangle, also they hosed up the wiring so now the conference table is permanently attached to a wall

carry on then posted:

several of our team rooms are like this except with the border drawn in marker on the white board

what kind of trashy places do you people work at jesus christ

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

another quality microsoft product

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

surprisingly, the enterprise im system built on eclipse isn't the worst one available

ibm makes better software than microsoft, but that's an extremely low bar to pass

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i left my deskphone # off my business card and removed it from the internal directory so no one will ever call me on it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

one one hand this just exacerbates the problem of "e-mail = storage"

on the other, Shaggar is right

a link to the file on a common storage system would be equally good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

we have people in our org that have 370 gb mailboxes.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

some guy did post some videos of a pole dancer on the company yammer tho

that dude owns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

abraham linkedin posted:

lol if you ever speak to anyone inside your office unless they have the power to fire you

office work is not labour

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iridium posted:

on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

lmao what kind of clown operation do you work at

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Penguissimo posted:

post the number

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

how we can help them devops

wot does this mean

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

devops means to loving work together to deploy poo poo instead of siloing stuff. Developers ship, deployers deploy, and everyone is feeding info back to each other so they know what the gently caress is going on or coming up

i mean i hear the term "devops" all the time but it doesn't seem to have any agreed upon meaning so i am curious what the gently caress a company that sells "devops" to other companies sells it as

i like your explanation

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

today i figured out how to forward my vm to a number a colleague set up that immediately deletes the messages

sweet freedom

every vm is just tom shitfucker asking for a callback

nice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

hungry sales reps and account managers all the way down

:q:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i spent most of my video call today on mute petting my cat

i just jack off on my cam shows, no bestiality you sick gently caress

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

meeting invite sent from a different software package then yours so it doesnt go on your calendar because of eternal corporate war

i lost a few good men in the google apps vs exchange war of 2011

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

this is our weekly stand up meeting for this project. we've literally never had it.

also the project doesn't exist except for in the mind of a single pm

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

May the gods preserve you, fellow traveler

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

We're such cheap fucks we charge for the poo poo in office coffee. want the bean water? fifty cents. pay up

my first company had some offices with honesty jars for the coffee and some with free coffee due to acquisitions over the years

it was pretty lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

i liked the figgie threads

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you don't have a good pm that you respect

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

at previous big telco the PMs were mostly sales people who hadn't made quota three quarters in a row but couldn't be made redundant because of paperwork effort

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

eh worst parts are that our config is fundamentally hosed. no persistent conversations, broken chat rooms. completely useless

hello my life

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

AAB posted:

no don't! hipchat is real bad and breaks in new ways if you use anything that isn't the web client.

clearly you've never used skype for business

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

heres a fun trick, have one of your vendor or consultant partners set up a slack then make it the de facto communication platform for your team because "the vendor cant work with anything else"

it was really paying dividends for me last week

ofc i am now pretending my company shuts down until next year starting today so everything is muted and an out of office message is up

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my company acquired a small company that had slack and we keep it up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

the free version of slack is actually a blessing because culling everything after 10k messages and attachments after a limit means you can't use it as a loving document store

:agreed:

also lmao that slack charges $13/month/head just to get AD integration

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

just 13 bucks/seat for ad sync? That's manageable.

What I don't get RE: slack (the last holdout in my comp to not use it) that people are using the free one and talking 'bout the IP over it.

if microsoft can make teams not terrible and include it with O365 subscriptions slack is dead in the enterprise space

no one is gonna drop five figgies a month on slack when a good enough alternative comes with what they're already paying for

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

Yeah this is why nobody uses Box since Microsoft added onedrive for business to o365

Lol

having gigs and gigs of poo poo you dont want to deal with migrating is a lot different than everyone switching chat apps

it's loving chat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yeah lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

people use slack because it's good and it's not tied to your loving idiot IT
the entire point is that it's zero friction communication

but oh yeah they'll definitely switch to your lovely enterprise solution as soon as "someone makes it good"

people use slack because its chat that works across desktop and mobile devices that's easy to administer, something that surprisingly few options exist for

its just the ability to create "rooms" on demand and sending direct messages to individuals with chat history

dont even need the file sharing features or whatever but they're nice, ideally screenshots and poo poo you drop into chats should disappear after 24 hours or whatever so you dont have to worry about retention because no one is gonna give a poo poo about that stuff later anyway

if teams can just provide that there's no reason to use slack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

this requires betting on the ability of microsoft to make a product that doesn't suck and has broad integration support

so

lol

yeah lol

but slack wanting to charge $13/head/month just to integrate with active directory is going (hopefully) put enough pressure to make teams usable so large organizations can just use it as part of their O365 subscriptions

because lol @ paying 5 figgies a month for a loving chat application

• Locked thread