Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
my company has polycom phones everywhere but we're supposed to use webex for meetings. the thing is nobody wants to use it and instead uses weird free conference call things that are extremely bad, the old conference call system which sometimes still works for some reason, or sometimes just gives up and puts an iphone on speaker in the middle of the table to host the call. also that happens a lot when there's no conference room available because in a company of several hundred we have four conference rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

we have a 20 person conference room with a lot of room at the back behind the table so people can set up chairs, it's used for any presentation with fewer than say 50 people, or a large teleconference. it used to have a projector that only had a vga input, a phone with a couple mics spaced out around the room, and no cameras.

at some point they got rid of all that and replaced it with

1) ceiling mounted mics that section off the room so the system can know who's speaking
2) two pretty big tvs, like 50 inches, mounted side by side in a white plastic hutch with
3) two extremely nice cameras, one mounted above each tv, that have swivel mounts that coordinate to go look at whoever's making the most noise on the mics that can be
4) controlled individually anyway and are nice enough to do things like zoom in and look in windows of buildings across the street, which is accomplished with
5) an ipad (might not actually be an ipad) interface that must be hooked up with a network cable, which is done from the top of this very nice expensive conference room table. if it's unplugged the system doesn't work and displays a complaint.

but the kicker is, the two tvs are mirrored. in both the built in videoconferencing and when you're just presenting something. and the tvs are pretty big for tvs, but this is a looooooong room and they're down at one end (and also low enough that you have to look around people's heads when everybody is sitting down) so they are actually worse than the projector. i think this all cost like $14,000

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

now try doing conference calls with China that have to be at 9pm or whatever to catch them in the morning or 8am to catch them before they go home. gently caress timezones.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

there are nowhere near enough rooms in this building to do things like phone interviews. so you just wander around and around if the one closet is taken, some sort of voip based Flying Dutchman

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

they painted whiteboard paint on the walls here except that it's actually black and it's not actually whiteboard paint. it's just this glossy black paint. they provided some sort of special paint markers too and these erasers that basically look like mr clean magic erasers and probably are. they're just as ablative as mr clean magic erasers and if you try to erase anything they rapidly begin to disintegrate in your hand

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Bloody posted:

i have not checked my work voice mail nor answered my work phone in over two years

when I first started right out of college I had a phone. it did nothing for months. one time it rang and I had forgotten it was there and it scared the poo poo out of me and I didn't find it in time to pick up. then I unplugged it and put it in a drawer and anyway it's been three years and that was a great decision

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I'm the meeting scheduled at 12 20 for 12 30 that gets me a call while I'm getting lunch, like a normal human

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

9) The company once spent millions on making their own internal facebook (not sears) and made everyone make an account and had it in our annual goals that we had to check it at least once a week and post X comments/posts a month. I quit about a month after the implemented it but I don't think it lasted very long

we used yammer for a while. what a lovely, purposeless product. it was clearly our execs giving someone a kickback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

my company keeps putting in nice wireless presentation systems like wepresent and now Apple tvs in all the conference rooms but they've never quite figured out all the way that nobody who comes in to do a presentation can use them because they're all field sales guys for spring companies who have locked down windows laptops. so every time there's a whole song and dance about unplugging poo poo trying to find a cable. every time

• Locked thread