Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

punk rock is like black metal in that it has nothing to do wuith musicianship or songwriting or even what the music sounds like and more to do with annoying your parents and nonsensical teenage ideology

you can just bang pots and pans together and shout in your kitchen and its punk rock if you shout about anarchy or black metal if you yell about satan

Not at all my friend. How much of either genre have you listened to? There's plenty of simplistic punk, but plenty of more advanced stuff too with serious musicianship particularly towards the late 80s and into the 90s. Black metal has some lol stuff but also plenty of deep, atmospheric and brilliant compositions. Check out Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today - punk and great songwriting

What sort of music do you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Nicomo posted:

Not at all my friend. How much of either genre have you listened to? There's plenty of simplistic punk, but plenty of more advanced stuff too with serious musicianship particularly towards the late 80s and into the 90s. Black metal has some lol stuff but also plenty of deep, atmospheric and brilliant compositions. Check out Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today - punk and great songwriting

What sort of music do you like?

Please don't ruin the thread with this bullshit debate. Someone who doesn't like punk isn't gonna give a gently caress that some punk musicians can actually play the bass, guitar or whatever the gently caress.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
That GB album is good though. I'll also add Discharge's album Why as a classic. And don't forget GBH's only really good record, City Baby Attacked By Rats

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
Yep Start Today one of the top punk records ever. Related to GB - just listened to Rites of Spring's album now. The GB guitarist's later band.

Hadn't heard of that GBH album, good poo poo nice rec

I just love music with pace and energy I guess, gets the juices flowing

Nicomo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 8, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

PinkoBastard posted:

I'll also add Discharge's album Why as a classic.
instead of Hear Nothing?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
They are all walking the streets at night and going where eagles dare.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

symbolic posted:

instead of Hear Nothing?

Personally, but you can't go wrong either way. Good call! Also anybody ever hear Raped rear end by Anti Cimex???

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I present to you the best of two amazing worlds: SKANIME

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

I'm a punk. I take it up the bumhole on the reg

Up the punx! (b-wholes!!!)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Goatfather posted:

punk rock is like black metal in that it has nothing to do wuith musicianship or songwriting or even what the music sounds like and more to do with annoying your parents and nonsensical teenage ideology

you can just bang pots and pans together and shout in your kitchen and its punk rock if you shout about anarchy or black metal if you yell about satan

What a load of ignorant poo poo. Go actually listen to The Clash.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What a load of ignorant poo poo. Go actually listen to The Clash.

Listen to crass instead

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really want to start talking about how twee pop evolved from post punk bands from scotland and how Calvin Johnson and Beat Happening is some of the most punk poo poo out there despite being something most people would never label as punk

oh look i kinda did

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

The thread for talking about NOFX, The Clash, and GG allin

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

henry rollins, henry rollins, henry rollins

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJCKwqyR7KY

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41bhCXqdJHM

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really like the dead milkmen

i like that they came back and made king in yellow, a good album

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Listen to crass instead

listen to cress aswell

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
multiple choice PUNK ROCK quiz:

a punk is

1. something you light firecrackers with

2. the guy from "green day" with the green hair

3. someone who takes it up the rear end

4. guy "ritchie" fieri

Bad Titty Puker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 8, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

i really like the dead milkmen

i like that they came back and made king in yellow, a good album

I love the Dead Milkmen. Their later material got patchy but even still, when they were on, they're really on. I also liked The King in Yellow.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Bad Titty Puker posted:

multiple choice PUNK ROCK quiz:

a punk is

1. something you light firecrackers with

2. the guy from "green day" with the green hair

3. someone who takes it up the rear end

4. guy "ritchie" fieri

All of the above, poser

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Kind of an unpopular opinion but I only like that first Clash record and a few other tunes here and there. Like I respect their legacy, but to me they were nothing compared to The Ramones or even The Damned.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
how come the punk threads never talk about punk bands from nowadays like the ergs and the menzingers

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Monday_ posted:

how come the punk threads never talk about punk bands from nowadays like the ergs and the menzingers

i like math the band, they are a synthpunk band who are basically doing teh whole atom and his package thing

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Because I have played with a lot of current punk bands and know how much of dicks they are.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Jeff Rosenstock's a cool guy though

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Monday_ posted:

Jeff Rosenstock's a cool guy though

Yeah no he is solid.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i used to be a lot more into punk, but i realized i really like the DIY aspect of it the best and that led me into lofi and twee pop and guys like alex g. The thing with that stuff is tho it is pretty punk to me, its the same kind of attitude that goes into that music.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

PBS Newshour posted:

i used to be a lot more into punk, but i realized i really like the DIY aspect of it the best and that led me into lofi and twee pop and guys like alex g. The thing with that stuff is tho it is pretty punk to me, its the same kind of attitude that goes into that music.

Alex g is okay I used to work with elvis depressedly

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

I like a lot of folk and rap for the same reason, poor people issues and junk. ya know?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Alex g is okay I used to work with elvis depressedly

poo poo, really?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

PBS Newshour posted:

poo poo, really?

Yep! Before he moved to Asheville

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

pointlessone posted:

Ska is the big dumb happy dog of music. It only knows a couple tricks, but it does them with such enthusiasm you can't help but enjoy watching it try.

It's just so happy! :woof:

This just reminds me of being 13 and having been moved to a new school and city and knowing no one and feeling all lonely. I met some dorks from the grade below me who were like "We listen to Ska, you should try it." Of course, they could only listen to Christian Ska because their parents didn't let them listen to normal music, but it was enough to make me feel the happy upbeatitude of it. I went and bought Less Than Jake's Losing Streak and blew their minds with Ska with real swears in it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Yep! Before he moved to Asheville

That is pretty awesome.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

PinkoBastard posted:

Kind of an unpopular opinion but I only like that first Clash record and a few other tunes here and there. Like I respect their legacy, but to me they were nothing compared to The Ramones or even The Damned.

What are some good Damned songs?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFx68qSAuY

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What are some good Damned songs?

I'd recommend that you listen to the entirety of Damned Damned Damned, I think it's an amazing album

here's the album https://youtu.be/tP8UrnahsJM

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 8, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Machine Gun Ettique is also very good

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

Machine Gun Ettique is also very good

It is, it's their most acclaimed record and it has some great material but I've really got a soft spot for Damnedx3. If you haven't heard it in a while it's worth a second look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Punk is a great genre but anyone who calls themselves a punk is a poseur in the same way that anyone who says they're cool is clinically uncool.

• Locked thread