Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
i recently got a job at a big texas technology company and yeah their culture fit process was a lot more practical along the lines of 'be professional, do your work, don't embarrass the company'

I assume its more bro-ey for startups based in austin. on that note they did try really hard to get me to relocate but still hired me anyway. the funny part about this is that i found out a guy i used to work with over five years ago is there. he took me out to a bunch of breweries/distilleries last weekend and all the while shittalking texas and texans in general.

other weird texas stuff since im here for two months

- roads. while the frontage roads and turnarounds are good for traffic flow jfc it makes driving stressful and when using navigation its basically like 'EXIT TO FRONTAGE ROAD AND CUT ACROSS THREE LANES IMMEDIATELY TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN'
- booze. lol gently caress any place that doesn't sell liquor on sunday. also, theres a weird law that says no publicly-traded companies can sell liquor. apparently costco gets around this by having a separate entrance and registers for the liquor section. they also have to let non-members in, nice
- restaurants/bars. i have literally been to bars that have only outdoor seating and you just walk up to a shack with some taps and a refrigerated room in the back and order a beer. there are also usually food trucks on the property. this is a good thing
- bbq. its good
- craft beer. theres a lot of it thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

so you drank and ate

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

triple sulk posted:

the fact that people still try to assert that today's 36 year olds and 16 year olds are remotely similar or should be in the same generation is comical

they do have roughly the same earning power and thats probably all goldman-sachs is even capable of considering when evaluating people

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

so you drank and ate

sounds good

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
do companies still look for "passionate" developers?

are you a passionate developer willing to work 80 hours a week and get paid for 40?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you're joining a startup (or nest) they expect you to work well over 40 hours and love it. so if you have kids you probably aren't a good cultural fit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

tiny houses are how millenials are dealing with the fact that they can't afford poo poo. So they made 'tiny houses' hip. See also 'not owning a car' and 'taking staycations' and 'living at home cause they love it' and 'waiting to have kids/get married' and and all the other cheap poo poo millenials were forced to do because they're debt laden and can't find work.

Basically, everything in this report from goldman sachs can be answered with 'because they can't afford it'

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/pages/millennials/

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i would love to live in california and be a tec bro but i am not american and i dont have a degree and im stupid so your country wont allow me entry (also i haev a manslaughter charge against me )

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Tatsujin posted:

- booze. lol gently caress any place that doesn't sell liquor on sunday. also, theres a weird law that says no publicly-traded companies can sell liquor. apparently costco gets around this by having a separate entrance and registers for the liquor section. they also have to let non-members in, nice
- restaurants/bars. i have literally been to bars that have only outdoor seating and you just walk up to a shack with some taps and a refrigerated room in the back and order a beer. there are also usually food trucks on the property. this is a good thing
- bbq. its good
- craft beer. theres a lot of it thankfully.

houston? check out valhalla on rice campus and moon tower. flying saucer is good too if you like weird beers

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Kirk posted:

i would love to live in california and be a tec bro but i am not american and i dont have a degree and im stupid so your country wont allow me entry (also i haev a manslaughter charge against me )

same

but not that last part wtf

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kirk posted:

we have a strict no nerds or fat chicks policy

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Management posted:

if you're joining a startup (or nest) they expect you to work well over 40 hours and love it. so if you have kids you probably aren't a good cultural fit

also if you don't like dying at your desk due to a heart attack, probably not a good cultural fit either

also dead people, not a good cultural fit. they don't type fast enough

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I DONT HEAR ENOUGH TYPING, ONE OF YOU FUCKERS MUST NOT BE A GOOD CULTURAL FIT

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Management posted:

fuckin nerds, am i right?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

is it really getting paid for 40 hours if it's a dece six and a half figgies tho

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

My Linux Rig posted:

do companies still look for "passionate" developers?

are you a passionate developer willing to work 80 hours a week and get paid for 40?

og tech bubble companies are way better.

be passionate about getting out of the office by 5 every day

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I get paid by my employer every fortnight

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

pointsofdata posted:

Is this the sv culture thread now? Because:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/sam-altman-ritz-sneakers-paul-graham-london-not-a-startup-hub-2016-6/?r=US&IR=T
fair enough IMO, it's not as though altman would fund a startup which didn't wear the correct uniform

had a friend ask me why tech nerds are so proud of their 't-shirt and jeans' and I had to explain it was because no one ever actually taught them how to dress nicely so they think suits are what mom forces them to wear to prom/funerals and never actually owned a nice fitting shirt/suit.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
but my stocks vest quarterly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

had a friend ask me why tech nerds are so proud of their 't-shirt and jeans' and I had to explain it was because no one ever actually taught them how to dress nicely so they think suits are what mom forces them to wear to prom/funerals and never actually owned a nice fitting shirt/suit.

lol, a guy who spends all day in front of a computer definitely needs to be in a suit

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The Management posted:

lol, a guy who spends all day in front of a computer definitely needs to be in a suit

i honestly don't think a programmer should have to wear anything and should be kept in a deep dark basement where the sales people don't have to bump in to them by accident.

Like, I get it, sweatpants and a tshirt is the new punk rock, but if you expect anyone to take you seriously, at least know how to dress beyond 'this shirt doesn't smell worse than the rest and has an old linkedin logo so ppl will know I'm old school'.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
When I go to visit my mother at the old folk's home I can't go to the cafeteria with her because they require jackets and slacks and I don't think I own anything like that anymore

It's kinda refreshing being denied access to something like that for an arbitrary reason, I've been living a pretty privileged life so far and don't often get to experience the combination of missing out and sour grapes feelings

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Hulk hogan will destroy all you nerds

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

how do u think he got that manslaughter charge???

The Management posted:

but what if a client makes it through two layers of security and down five hallways into the cesspit cube farm

ShadowHawk posted:

It's kinda refreshing being denied access to something like that for an arbitrary reason, I've been living a pretty privileged life so far and don't often get to experience the combination of missing out and sour grapes feelings

its like an integrated shame mechanism, and I sort of appreciate it. ive had to explain to people that ratty hick shirts would get us denied to avoid the embarrassment and I dont think I ever saw such entitlement in my life. somehow dressing like a garbage person doesnt register as not appropriate for some places anymore

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

When I go to visit my mother at the old folk's home I can't go to the cafeteria with her because they require jackets and slacks and I don't think I own anything like that anymore

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
okay nerds, here's the deal: you need a good pair of slacks, a collared shirt, and a jacket. you will wear these to your company holiday party, to your friend's wedding, and to your grandma's funeral. no, your cargo pants and polo with a tech logo on it do not count.

go to a nice department store. try Nordstrom or Bloomingdales. go to the men's department where they have button shirts and jackets. tell them you need these and have them measure your collar size, shoulders, waist, and arm and leg length. get a white button shirt that fits you well, not loosely. get a pair of slacks (not khaki) that are the right length and a matching leather belt. get a pair of leather shoes, black or dark brown (not doc martens, shoes that look like a rich person would wear them). get a tie, NOT black unless you're going to a funeral or plan to become a waiter, but also not a "fun" pattern. get a simple dark jacket that fits your shoulders and arms from the measurements they took. buy a plain white undershirt. buy dark socks that go with your shoes and pants.

this will not cost you that much, and it will make you look like a man on the rare occasions that you need to pretend to be one.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The Management posted:

okay nerds, here's the deal: you need a good pair of slacks, a collared shirt, and a jacket. you will wear these to your company holiday party, to your friend's wedding, and to your grandma's funeral. no, your cargo pants and polo with a tech logo on it do not count.

go to a nice department store. try Nordstrom or Bloomingdales. go to the men's department where they have button shirts and jackets. tell them you need these and have them measure your collar size, shoulders, waist, and arm and leg length. get a white button shirt that fits you well, not loosely. get a pair of slacks (not khaki) that are the right length and a matching leather belt. get a pair of leather shoes, black or dark brown (not doc martens, shoes that look like a rich person would wear them). get a tie, NOT black unless you're going to a funeral or plan to become a waiter, but also not a "fun" pattern. get a simple dark jacket that fits your shoulders and arms from the measurements they took. buy a plain white undershirt. buy dark socks that go with your shoes and pants.

this will not cost you that much, and it will make you look like a man on the rare occasions that you need to pretend to be one.

Source you are quotes

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ShadowHawk posted:

the struggle begins

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Tatsujin posted:

- restaurants/bars. i have literally been to bars that have only outdoor seating and you just walk up to a shack with some taps and a refrigerated room in the back and order a beer. there are also usually food trucks on the property. this is a good

the civilized world calls this a beer garden

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the civilized world calls this a beer garden

in texas they're typically bbq joints where you collect your beer from ice-filled bins while you're in line to the counter

there will be dozens of bags filled w/ water w/ a penny in each to keep the flies away

the long picnic tables have never been washed, just repainted brown

try to say howdy while you're there and don't show off your complete set of teeth too much

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there will be dozens of bags filled w/ water w/ a penny in each to keep the flies away

wait, what?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the folk wisdom goes something like it fucks up the flies' ability to see correctly (due to the refraction of the penny in the water as the fly moves around it) which keeps them away or busy or something?

idk keep in mind texas has the lowest rate of high school graduation so that kinda thinking is p common there

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/flies.asp

definitely a thing, whether it works or not

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the folk wisdom goes something like it fucks up the flies' ability to see correctly (due to the refraction of the penny in the water as the fly moves around it) which keeps them away or busy or something?

idk keep in mind texas has the lowest rate of high school graduation so that kinda thinking is p common there

it certainly keeps the patrons busy

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

the struggle begins

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

triple sulk posted:

the fact that people still try to assert that today's 36 year olds and 16 year olds are remotely similar or should be in the same generation is comical

In your case it is really accurate tho

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My fitted suit is the most comfortable thing I own

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Kirk posted:

Did you kill one of your dads?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Larry Parrish posted:

My fitted suit is the most comfortable thing I own

I had a new headshot at work a few days ago and going into it i didn't want to wear a suit the entire day, but after a while i realized it was super comfy to wear all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

ShadowHawk posted:

this made me chuckle and for the first time ever i feel like i'm laughing WITH shadowhawk

• Locked thread