Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Ben Murphy posted:

i've been working remotely for tech companies based on the east coast for the past 10 years so even though i live in northern CA, i never really had to interact with bay area tech until last month

apparently your technical knowledge, certifications, years of experience or security clearance mean nothing and it's all about how you 'fit into their culture'

that line came up a lot in interviews, we want to make sure the candidate 'fits into our culture' here

granted i only did about 10-15 interviews and got 2 offers from that batch, but the one i accepted was a medium sized company but established (no fly by night startup)

after three 1 hour interviews, i got asked maybe 2-3 actual tech related questions

is this normal out here? is it more important that i'll be riding the company segway into the ball pit at regular intervals and participating in the daily hug exchange than actually being able to do the work?

maybe i overhyped myself and was ready for Google/Apple level questioning where i had to build my own enigma machine from used pinball parts

maybe im super jaded and thought it laughable to be told by a company who's been around maybe 5 years "we want you to feel like you can retire from here"

yes welcome we would be happy to take a look at your resume mr.... hmm...

"murphy"

*angrily points to large sign on wall that reads IRISH NEED NOT APPLY*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BiohazrD posted:

Mannerchor!

We have one about 5 minutes from our place in Pittsburgh. There's a whole German area on the north side. I need to find a way to become a member

those places have some cool traditional old world stuff and great beer, the trick is to be german, marry one, or find one that needs fresh members that dont mind singing

• Locked thread