Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I'm having some trouble with the Varg and Skaeling on my current Empire campaign. I need to deal with Chaos awakening in the Northeast, but I keep getting pulled back to deal will full raiding stacks of northern tribesmen. I tried razing their settlements, but it's taking too long and attrition is bastard that far North.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and the quest for Ghal Maraz now wants me to destroy orkish settlements. I haven't seen an orc since turn 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

midge posted:

Is there a recommend Dwarf stack for taking on end game chaos? I'm trying to figure out the mixture of armour pierce vs front line sust
I use Ironbreakers, two units of Hammerers and a mix of Thunderers and Quarrellers, with 2 cannons and Brimstone Gyros. Bring an engineer.

Stick the Ironbreakers in a line, put the Thunderers on the flank facing outward, and put the Quarrellers behind the Ironbreakers. As usual the AI cav will try to flank you / go for your artillery and your Thunderers will murder them. If they manage to charge the Thunderers without breaking charge the Hammerers into the melee. The Gyros are there to take out Hellcannons, which are really annoying. I've been experimenting with Organ Guns instead of cannons, and positioning them on the edges of the flanks outside the Thunderers. They do a lot of damage with clear firing arcs but are a bit vulnerable. You can stick a unit of Ironbreakers next to them to babysit them, but that's probably too much trouble at that point. Meanwhile the enemy infantry will just charge your Ironbreakers. If your Hammerers aren't otherwise occupied you can bring them up and charge into their flanks while they're failing to hurt your Ironbreakers. Quarrellers just shoot wherever they're needed most. Once the cavalry is all dead or broken you can swing the Thunderers up to start shooting into the flanks of the main melee on the front line.

Also always fight in the Underway if you possibly can. All the maps are long and narrow which is perfect for Dwarfs, and when you win you'll destroy the entire enemy stack since they can't retreat :black101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 9, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Not confederating or conquering your neighbors and being friends with everyone definitely seems to be the best Empire strategy. I'm at like turn 40, Chaos hasn't begun to show up yet, and I've got Reikland fully upgraded, with access to Demigryff Knights, Reiksguard, Cannons, and Greatswords.

I allied myself with every empire faction which wanted it, and helped them out in each of their wars with their neighbors to make sure they won. I vassaled a couple of factions that were consistently being unruly. The end result is that I've got four or so Empire factions which are all friendly to me and each other, and each of them is doing great. When Archaon rolls up he's going to have a bad time.

I've got three full provinces (Reikland, Middenland, and the Bretonnia one right next to Marienburg), which seems to be enough to unlock all the units and get a really solid economy going, but still leaves me with not a lot of ground to defend.

The only Empire faction I conquered was Middeland, because gently caress you Boris.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
This thread should 100% be called "Total War: Hammer Time".

You're welcome OP.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Afriscipio posted:

I'm having some trouble with the Varg and Skaeling on my current Empire campaign. I need to deal with Chaos awakening in the Northeast, but I keep getting pulled back to deal will full raiding stacks of northern tribesmen. I tried razing their settlements, but it's taking too long and attrition is bastard that far North.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and the quest for Ghal Maraz now wants me to destroy orkish settlements. I haven't seen an orc since turn 15.

Best bet is to keep Nordland alive and happy, even if you end up at war with them early on when conquering middenland just shoo them away and show up with a big stack and they'll give you gold to gently caress off. Leave them alone and fight vampires/orcs/chaos and eventually every human faction will love you and accept alliances and trade or whatever. Any human faction with more than a single settlement will eventually end up with 1-2 full 20 stacks that they send around fighting chaos and norsca

Also I wouldnt worry about orcs, dwarfs almost always get overrun and you'll have greenskins cramming themselves up into your eastern provinces in no time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I started a new VC campaign and been trying the "Emigrate to Tilea" strategy. Worked fine, but it's really slow, which added to the slower peace of the VCs gameplay it has been trying my patience. I'm around turn 104 and I own 4 full provinces (Tilea, Estalia and 2 in Brettonia). Archaon has recently spawned, so I should finish Brettonia as quickly as possible and join the fight in the Empire lands, but the remaining provinces are so heavlily guarded that will be a pain in the rear end.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Build walls everywhere. Play sieges manually. After the initial rush you usually will face one stack at a time. Because they vastly overestimate their chances and will get murdered by your garrisons at the same rate as they ship over.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arglebargle III posted:

The surplus of kings is an especially nice touch. Since they were petty kingdoms and every generation of rulers got resurrected, and they're immortal, there are way way too many kings, like hundreds and hundreds of them. Too many kings with too many soldiers running around fighting an undead forever war, only stopping when Settra decides to gently caress something up or an invading army comes to loot some tombs.

Imagine how you'd feel if you woke up and some rear end in a top hat great-great grandson decided he got to be the king! Ungrateful poo poo! Fortunately all your loyal immortal soldiers are pretty sure their king is the real king, and bang you get a thousand years of pointless battles in the desert.

...loving sold.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Geisladisk posted:

Not confederating or conquering your neighbors and being friends with everyone definitely seems to be the best Empire strategy. I'm at like turn 40, Chaos hasn't begun to show up yet, and I've got Reikland fully upgraded, with access to Demigryff Knights, Reiksguard, Cannons, and Greatswords.

I allied myself with every empire faction which wanted it, and helped them out in each of their wars with their neighbors to make sure they won. I vassaled a couple of factions that were consistently being unruly. The end result is that I've got four or so Empire factions which are all friendly to me and each other, and each of them is doing great. When Archaon rolls up he's going to have a bad time.

I've got three full provinces (Reikland, Middenland, and the Bretonnia one right next to Marienburg), which seems to be enough to unlock all the units and get a really solid economy going, but still leaves me with not a lot of ground to defend.

The only Empire faction I conquered was Middeland, because gently caress you Boris.

Yeah, military allies are great when you get a big love-fest going. Don't forget that each faction gets a base background income, so an allied force will always be able to maintain a bigger army than if you owned that province yourself. Allies also count for victory conditions.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do you get enough cash without conquering at least a few provinces though? You don't even have trade goods to make money that way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you get enough cash without conquering at least a few provinces though? You don't even have trade goods to make money that way.

Well, the maths works out that you can basically afford one army per 2-4 cities, plus one from base income. You cover short term costs from sacking. It's also not like you *never conquer*, it's more that you should be judicious about it. If two empire factions hate each other a lot, then you might as well pick a side, swoop in, and try and take the loser's cities first.

Making friends with all your neighbours also doesn't include VC, naturally. Kill the gently caress out of them.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I know vcs are supposed to be the natural empire enemy,but they're a couple provinces away and the anti corruption hero is from a higher tech and expensive building that offers few other immediate benefits. It never seems worth it to go over there to grab provinces that'll constantly be unruly and insecure versus, for example, rolling south and taking everything that's not nailed down in Brettonia.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

I know vcs are supposed to be the natural empire enemy,but they're a couple provinces away and the anti corruption hero is from a higher tech and expensive building that offers few other immediate benefits. It never seems worth it to go over there to grab provinces that'll constantly be unruly and insecure versus, for example, rolling south and taking everything that's not nailed down in Brettonia.

Well, on the other hand, I'd argue that the anti-corruption building is something that is quite straightforward to build, and something you actually want to get and upgrade early for witch-hunters. Being a province away from Altdorf also makes it a safer war - the VC can't do much against you with Stirland as a buffer. Also Sylvania is very rich what with the gold mine, and late game VC is scary.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Weissritter posted:

Reading through the thread I have a feeling a lot of people renamed Mannfred's starting Vargulf to Fluffy.

As did I :v:

I was also assigning pun names to my vamps. Celine Deadon, Bella YaDeadsee, Ivanna Sukurblood, Christopher loving Lee, etc

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I loving hate Azhag's quest battles. Not only do they start ridiculously late, not only do they require you to run a goblin all over the map, from Brettonia to the Empire to the Norselands, not only are the unique items not that great (except the Crown of Sorcery), but the final battle for Slagga's Slashas, the last quest item, is a loving joke. You've done all this ridiculously fun poo poo like rush an Empire artillery and rifle detachment encamped on a cliff, beat up Brettonian knights who start surrounding you and with trebuchets on a hill facing you, fighting a combined force of Undead and Chaos in an abandoned underground city, what can we do to top that? I know, you can go fight half a stack of savage orcs. It's the wettest of farts in that whole stupid chain. Someone needs to rebalance Azhag's quests entirely, they start way too late for any benefit, especially if you start with Grimgor, the far better legendary lord choice.

Korgan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 9, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Weissritter posted:

Reading through the thread I have a feeling a lot of people renamed Mannfred's starting Vargulf to Fluffy.

As did I :v:

Pretty sure that's canonical.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Goblin big boss agents are really amazing. Their blue line contains big bonuses to assassination, they are great at blowing holes in town walls, they can block enemy army movement, and they are very good at stopping other agents from succeeding. Most agents I've hired I've needed to dump some points into the blue line in less than optimal things, but that isn't the case with the goblin big boss. I sort of suspected it from my dwarf campaign and how often those jerks assassinated Thorgrim and company, but so far they might be my favorite offensive campaign agents.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That building (Shrine of Sigmar) is very helpful for dealing with the background Chaos corruption that starts early-midgame. I put one in every province for that reason before remembering oh yeah I can buy warrior priests there too.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Decus posted:

The OP suggests that you move 25% slower with siege gear in your army but I'm just not seeing that in the databases and haven't really noticed it in-game either. I know some of the mods have been changing it so siege lowers your campaign movement but by default this time around CA set the action points for every unit to the same value so nothing should either speed you up (cavalry armies in previous games) or slow you down (siege in previous games) on the campaign map. If I had to guess, this was to encourage actually using siege in normal stacks for the factions that are built around having good siege to force confrontations (dwarves with their low speed, chaos with its lack of foot ranged). At the faction level they likely gave more movement bonus opportunities via heroes in stacks and technologies/time to reach technologies to the ones they felt should be buffed there, leaving everything at the faction level rather than at the stack level. This also encourages more playing around with units than what could have been if they gave each monster its own movement costs on the map.

Yeah, I don't think this is actually happening in this game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wallet posted:

Oh ffs CA. Been denying myself cannons for no good tactical reason.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
How are people building Sigvald to be an unstoppable machine? Do you just pump the armor defense and hp skills, or more of an even spread of both offense and defense?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Wallet posted:

I can't even find where CA ever said this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This seems quite trivial to check. Take an army, disband all the artillery, hit end turn and see if it can move further now.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Goblin big boss agents are really amazing. Their blue line contains big bonuses to assassination, they are great at blowing holes in town walls, they can block enemy army movement, and they are very good at stopping other agents from succeeding. Most agents I've hired I've needed to dump some points into the blue line in less than optimal things, but that isn't the case with the goblin big boss. I sort of suspected it from my dwarf campaign and how often those jerks assassinated Thorgrim and company, but so far they might be my favorite offensive campaign agents.

My first Big Boss Baz Bonesplinta waged a hidden Waaagh all across the Old World without anyone being the wiser. Grimgor probably thought enemy generals were falling over dead in fear of him, not the stabby Goblin slipping a knife in their ribs.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

You can put some points in anti-corruption skills - a lot of lords and heroes have them. Witch Hunters should not be deployed anyway, they are mainly for assassinating banshees.
If you are on a Blitzkrieg through vampire lands and don't need immediate replenishment/can't maintain order in corrupted lands you can always raze the poo poo out of everything and rebuild later when you have breathing space and witch hunters out of work.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hey greenskins, remember when you crossed my lands to take the dwarf capital by surprise, and now you're trespassing BACK to reinforce your half-dead armies?
I'd like to introduce you to someone I like to call Fluffy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the Helm of Discord might be one of the stronger items in the game and quite possibly overpowered.

-15 armor, -36 melee defense -34 melee attack for 33 seconds in a AOE, recharges in 45 seconds after it wears off, but the catch is it only recharges while your in combat.

I'm not exactly sure what every point does and how much each point weakens the enemy percent-wise, but that's more then enough to lower most early game units to 0 in attack and defense and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be hitting anything or blocking anything with stats that low.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It seems to me that for my next empire game I should push south into the border princes as the northern imperial states are a solid buffer against chaos, also I might fight some orcs!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone have good VC starting tips?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the Helm of Discord might be one of the stronger items in the game and quite possibly overpowered.

-15 armor, -36 melee defense -34 melee attack for 33 seconds in a AOE, recharges in 45 seconds after it wears off, but the catch is it only recharges while your in combat.

I'm not exactly sure what every point does and how much each point weakens the enemy percent-wise, but that's more then enough to lower most early game units to 0 in attack and defense and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be hitting anything or blocking anything with stats that low.

Tormentor sword is also unusually good, you get an AoE root effect that stops any unit in place, all the way up to charging chariots and fleeing Lords. If you time it right you can essentially stop the entire center of an army while charging for your gun line. Works best with dwarfs since they have the highest ranged damage, but good with empire too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Geisladisk posted:

What difficulty is this and what mods are you running? On very hard with the great power debuff there are very few people that will even trade with me, even throwing small gifts at them every couple turns. I'm not losing but I can't get that all done by turn 40 the couple times I've tried. Boris always gets help from Nordland and the turtles up in his capital, which wastes a ton of time while I get together a second stack and hope I don't get backstabbed by one of my other 6 neighbors randomly.

I don't know what it is but I'm having real poo poo luck, last time the loving dwarves to my south who were getting wrecked by VC decided to attack my settlements just for the hell of it while I'm fighting the Norse.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 9, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The AI suiciding into you (on normal, at least) can be kind of frustrating. Going to get into a fight I can't win, so flee right into the enemy heartlands because it's cool -- I'm a legendary lord, so even when I inevitably suffer a total defeat it's totes ok because I literally can't die!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Deified Data posted:

My first Big Boss Baz Bonesplinta waged a hidden Waaagh all across the Old World without anyone being the wiser. Grimgor probably thought enemy generals were falling over dead in fear of him, not the stabby Goblin slipping a knife in their ribs.

Mine was something one-finger, and he failed literally everything I sent him to do. Should have done a hand check, make sure the grot could hold a dagger.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wilekat posted:

The AI suiciding into you (on normal, at least) can be kind of frustrating. Going to get into a fight I can't win, so flee right into the enemy heartlands because it's cool -- I'm a legendary lord, so even when I inevitably suffer a total defeat it's totes ok because I literally can't die!

It's better yet when it's just diving straight for a town.

Also does anybody know a decent way to manage a waaagh stack because unless I'm missing something it actively disincentivizes actually attacking either by not supporting your stack or by having the waaagh stack attack under ai control, which is okay until you try to fight an ai waaagh and they blatantly work with different rules.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have good VC starting tips?

DiHK posted:

I was also assigning pun names to my vamps. Celine Deadon, Bella YaDeadsee, Ivanna Sukurblood, Christopher loving Lee, etc

:colbert:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's amazing how much better I'm playing as empire on my second playthrough now I actually understand the building levels and stuff.

Altdorf has an armoury, wizard circle, and altar of sigmar, as well as a stable. One of the towns has a barracks, and another has a gunnery school.

I can recruit pretty much every unit other that tier 4 and 5 artillery but I've just conquered Nuln sooooo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nash posted:

How are people building Sigvald to be an unstoppable machine? Do you just pump the armor defense and hp skills, or more of an even spread of both offense and defense?

Just get his quest armor. I did build him defensively but it seems like overkill, he just has silly health regeneration in combat. The only thing that's dented him is a volley from a thunder squad and a grudge thrower, but he healed that back up while still fighting a melee in a couple minutes.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
We've got a small group set up for casual mp fights that anyone can join if they're interested. We've been doing some 3v3/4v4 matches against each other and randoms who join the lobby. It's been a lot of fun so far and more fun that single player because you're actually fighting against equal or better armies that I haven't seen yet in single player. There may not be as many matches going on right now since hoi4 came out and most of us play that but here's the discord room we're using if anyone wants to join:

https://discord.gg/0136Ht28l4ZMDBCIv

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is there ever a reason to take Longbeards (Great Weapons) or Dwarven Warriors (Great Weapons) over Hammerers if you're not worried about upkeep? Would Longbeards be better on the flanks to help with morale issues caused by charging cavalry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never had morale issues with dwarves that weren't caused by massive amounts of death, which longbeards wouldn't have really helped with.

• Locked thread