Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Reik posted:

Is there ever a reason to take Longbeards (Great Weapons) or Dwarven Warriors (Great Weapons) over Hammerers if you're not worried about upkeep? Would Longbeards be better on the flanks to help with morale issues caused by charging cavalry?

They all do the same thing, flanking, but get better with price so Hammerers are much better at it. I don't think any of them should be dealing with cavalry, that's for missiles and troops that can hold the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Reik posted:

Is there ever a reason to take Longbeards (Great Weapons) or Dwarven Warriors (Great Weapons) over Hammerers if you're not worried about upkeep? Would Longbeards be better on the flanks to help with morale issues caused by charging cavalry?

No, Hammerers are the loving bomb.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Hammerers feel kinda weak against Orcs or empire since the AI knows to focus them with ranged, but hey explode in usefulness against VC/Chaos.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Some relevant dev comments today from Reddit:

quote:

Auto resolver We are aware of some of the issues present with the auto resolver. I’ve written about this in the past, but its important to note that the auto resolver is actually a very complicated thing. Under the hood it actually runs a complex simulation round by round of the battle that may take place given the unit match ups. It takes a lot of things in to account, but to prevent it from bloating up massively and becoming too long of a calculation to make (think about end turn times etc), we cant simulate everything. But crucially, we cannot simulate the actions a player might perform. For instance, while the underlying code assumes it’s a great idea to throw your big heavy tank like Giant in to the very front of an engagement so he can soak up lots of damage, a player may think this is not an optimal way to play and would instead protect their giant far more because they are more interested in the outside context of keeping that unit fresh for the next battle rather than focusing on that certain battle. All this proves very difficult to get right.

We had made some improvements to these calculations for Warhammer, but from the player feedback we are hearing, it doesn’t seem like it was enough. We are addressing this some more in Patch 1, with a particular focus on lower entity count units (so heroes or trolls etc) taking excessive damage. We are adding some guards to stop this happening so much and distribute the damage across more of the units.

Otherwise, we will continue keeping an eye on it and make improvements wherever we can. As a system I think it does a very good job with what it is tasked to do most of the time, but we can do better and we will try to do so.

Magic and unit size In short, this is a more complicated issue to solve than it might seem. We are looking in to it and considering our options, but don't expect a quick fix I'm afraid.

Agent Spam We have a couple changes coming in Patch 1 to address the issue of overly powerful and overly aggressive AI heroes. This is somewhat a symptom of the AI being too optimal with using their heroes (they do have the same constraints and rules as the player), though there are some other factors at play here. We do think its currently creating some not so fun and in some instances very frustrating gameplay, so we do plan to tone this down in a couple of ways. Roughly speaking, we are going to be making some tweaks and balance changes within the realms of existing systems. The Patch 1 change notes will have more detail on the specifics of what we have done.

We will keep an eye on it though once the changes make their way to the live game. We are not ruling out the possibility that we need to do more to address it fully, but we think the changes we are making should address most of the problem.

Kemmler Or possibly Mannfred is too strong comparatively? We are seeing quite a few conflicting reports on lots of issues of balance. So we are taking some time to take in as much info as we can from what people are saying, compare it with our own impressions and match it all up with the stats we get through from our metrics. If we think there is a problem, which there could well be, we will look to address it in the future. We have very long term plans for Warhammer so expect lots of future updates.

quote:

What is the timeframe for the next patch to Warhammer?

No ETA to announce yet, sorry

Is there going to be any tweaking to the agent spam that currently plagues the campaign map?

Yes, see my answer to the top comment

Will there be any tweaks to the diplomacy of the game? Cooldowns on factions asking the same thing of you over and over again despite your refusal, allowing humans and vampires to confederate, making rebel armies the player caused be more aggressive towards their home region instead of the player, etc.

We are investigating what players are voicing concerns about in this area and have some plans for changes and improvements to the logic at play. We are looking at making the AI offer such deals less often when refused, and also agree to sign alliances more often in the right circumstances

Are river/beach battles going to be implemented at some point?

We’ve announced previously that we intend Warhammer to be a trilogy of titles, and each of those title additions will bring new factions, new parts of the old world and new features. What those new features will be honestly is not fully set in stone yet, so we are listening to what the players want and will take that in to consideration heavily. This goes for a lot of the features we are seeing commonly be requested at the moment. River battles, Minor Settlement battles, Avatar Mode, Free for all MP etc. So keep voicing your opinions about this stuff, we are listening.

Why are the firing arcs for ranged units and artillery so narrow compared to previous total wars? Was there a specific intention behind that decision?

A somewhat deliberate change to improve the mechanics of artillery firing

Will regular units ever receive any type of ability for certain things like Shield Wall, Rapid Advancement, Killzone, Wedge, etc?

We don’t have any intention to bring these back. We made a deliberate decision with Warhammer to remove this abilities from being toggles and bake them in to the existing behaviour of the unit where appropriate. With the inclusion of magic, there are already a lot of abilities to consider during a battle, and we don’t think the inclusion of these would add great benefit in to the gameplay. This doesn’t necessarily exclude them from being something in future titles if the feedback points us in that direction, but for now we are happy with the gameplay without these types of abilities.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 9, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Autoresolve what are you doing

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mazz posted:

Hammerers feel kinda weak against Orcs or empire since the AI knows to focus them with ranged, but hey explode in usefulness against VC/Chaos.

I keep them back and focus their ranged with Quarrelers, you'll always win that fight and pretty quickly too leaving your Hammerers free to go kick faces in.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's no way the calculation is as complex as they say.

And if it is they've wasted a lot of time making something complicated that spits out simple results.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Updated the first post with more dev comments.

These are coming in real time so I guess I'll do a second monster post when they are done.

About Reinforcements coming in bizarre random directions:

quote:

This is a bug, and something we are attempting to address in Patch 1, though it is proving to be a difficult one to fix so may miss the deadline. Reinforcement direction on the campaign map should be mirrored within the battle, that is the intention. We are working on a fix, but no ETA.

For a request to add "lifetime kills" stat tracking:

quote:

A cool idea, possibly in the future. Will add this on to the list for design consideration. Thanks!

River crossings battles again.

quote:

See my reply above. No current plans, but if people tell us they want it enough, we can look to add it in the future Warhammer titles if it makes sense.

We have actually had some design ideas about ways in which we can take the river crossing battle gameplay and put i in an even cooler fantasy setting. But right now, it is all just ideas on paper that we may or may not do.

Are there plans to include even more little event popups for every faction?
People vanishing because of Skaven, Dwarfs having to choose between revenge and revenge, Gork or Mork and other small flavorful stuff like that makes the game sooo much better!

Answered this on the stream already, but i'll repeat! Those little bits of Warhammer flavour that refer to a world larger than the one you currently have are very important to us, and our Lead Writer/Lore wizard Andy Hall did a great job inserting buckets of flavour in them. We absolutely intend to more of that in the future.

will musket smoke be improved so it hangs like in previous total wars? Will any non hero units get unique abilitys like shield wall or phalanx?

Not sure that adding smoke like in Empire makes sense in Warhammer. That game was all about line infantry gunfire gameplay, so it fit the setting. The muskets are a very small part of Warhammer and the additional VFX might hinder gameplay visibility. This is one of the many immersion vs gameplay arguments we have all the time in the office.

Answered about shield wall etc above already.

To be resumed after a meeting apparently.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 9, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is no-one asking about the gently caress-tarded "always juuuuuust out of your movement range" behavior for enemies?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

There's an Orc boss with a single unit of trolls doing this to me with Burrowing turn after turn. I can't quite catch him and also can't get Interception to fire for the loving life of me :argh:

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Is no-one asking about the gently caress-tarded "always juuuuuust out of your movement range" behavior for enemies?

Creative assembly has a tough job, AI dumb and people complain. AI smart, people complain.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

quote:

Auto resolver We are aware of some of the issues present with the auto resolver. I’ve written about this in the past, but its important to note that the auto resolver is actually a very complicated thing. Under the hood it actually runs a complex simulation round by round of the battle that may take place given the unit match ups. It takes a lot of things in to account, but to prevent it from bloating up massively and becoming too long of a calculation to make (think about end turn times etc), we cant simulate everything. But crucially, we cannot simulate the actions a player might perform. For instance, while the underlying code assumes it’s a great idea to throw your big heavy tank like Giant in to the very front of an engagement so he can soak up lots of damage, a player may think this is not an optimal way to play and would instead protect their giant far more because they are more interested in the outside context of keeping that unit fresh for the next battle rather than focusing on that certain battle. All this proves very difficult to get right.

We had made some improvements to these calculations for Warhammer, but from the player feedback we are hearing, it doesn’t seem like it was enough. We are addressing this some more in Patch 1, with a particular focus on lower entity count units (so heroes or trolls etc) taking excessive damage. We are adding some guards to stop this happening so much and distribute the damage across more of the units.

This is probably a pipe dream but it would be interesting and maybe helpful to the auto resolver if we could have a check on each unit to indicate 'protect' or 'keep in reserve'. Would take some of the load off of the auto resolver having to guess, but I don't know that they could implement it well in the ui, or if that makes autoresolve too attractive/easy to use for CA's taste.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

They're marching and you're not - it's unironically working as intended.

You can set an ambush between them and an appealing target, slow them down with agents, or download the mod that gives you a movement bonus in owned regions.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Deified Data posted:

They're marching and you're not - it's unironically working as intended.

Except the AI can march and attack, which means the AI has a special movement option that players are not allowed access to.

Which sucks. "Just use ambush stance" isn't a valid response to "why does the AI get access to a stance that the player can't use?"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Except the AI can march and attack, which means the AI has a special movement option that players are not allowed access to.

Which sucks. "Just use ambush stance" isn't a valid response to "why does the AI get access to a stance that the player can't use?"

I didn't know that - I usually only see this complaint mentioned when people are trying to catch fleeing forces, where their ability to attack doesn't factor in. Is there a mod that changes this?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Again, I haven't seen any confirmation of this. Do note that (1) you can set march stance after attacking - indeed at any time - and you will get the bonus 50% move as a proportion of your *maximum* movement points, and (2) on limited moves, the UI simplifies display of enemy moves, IIRC not showing stance changes.

If the AI could do this, my experience playing as greenskins would be very different - waaghs accompanying my main armies would ensure that I can attack at a 50% bonus range to normally, by having the waagh use march stance to attack and pull in my army as reinforcement. I've never seen this happen.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 9, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

I have never seen this happen. What the AI does sometime do is activate march stance after attacking in order to gain a bit of extra movement, which the player can also do. I do it all the time!

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

madmac posted:

Some relevant dev comments today from Reddit:

Well that was a disappointing bundle of rear end-covering non-answers.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What's weird is that using Giants to tank damage is not only misusing them, it's misusing them in the exact way a new player would.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Reik posted:

Wariors and Longbeards with Great Weapons are kinda underwhelming. I'd rather just get some Miners with blasting charges if it comes to building cheap&cheerful stacks. Longbeards can be useful on the flanks. IIRC my late-game low-cost stack was Lord, optional Runesmith, 4*Warriors, 2*Longbeards, 4*Miners with blasting charges, 4*Quarrellers, 2*Thunderers and 2*Cannons.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Re: The AI having crazy movement.

I've seen the AI move in from just about offscreen, attack + sack a town and then move off screen again. The other way the AI "cheats" is that is knows exactly the distance it needs to be not to get counter attacked.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stanley Pain posted:

I've seen the AI move in from just about offscreen, attack + sack a town and then move off screen again. The other way the AI "cheats" is that is knows exactly the distance it needs to be not to get counter attacked.

If you hover your mouse over an enemy army you too will have access to this cheat.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fangz posted:

Again, I haven't seen any confirmation of this. Do note that (1) you can set march stance after attacking - indeed at any time - and you will get the bonus 50% move as a proportion of your *maximum* movement points, and (2) on limited moves, the UI simplifies display of enemy moves, IIRC not showing stance changes.

If the AI could do this, my experience playing as greenskins would be very different - waaghs accompanying my main armies would ensure that I can attack at a 50% bonus range to normally, by having the waagh use march stance to attack and pull in my army as reinforcement. I've never seen this happen.

Well then it's poor design instead of "The AI can do something I can't." Being able to swap between No Stance and March feels much the same as "Can Attack during Forced March", which true or not is an apparent advantage the AI has over the player.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

Well then it's poor design instead of "The AI can do something I can't." Being able to swap between No Stance and March feels much the same as "Can Attack during Forced March", which true or not is an apparent advantage the AI has over the player.

How?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

GCValentine posted:

Creative assembly has a tough job, AI dumb and people complain. AI smart, people complain.

Is "ai annoying" not a possibility in this world being described here? Because that's what they accomplished, and that's why people complain.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Triskelli posted:

I very very much like the fact that I can move, spot an enemy doomstack, and make a swift retreat, thank you very much. If you can't toggle march stance, then it means that any enemy army you see after moving about half your movement points is an enemy you can't escape a battle with, making the right way to play to inch your armies around bit by bit, hoping not to see - and thus be seen by - anything you can't outfight.

Really, the other way is way worse.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Lots of people are really butt hurt about misunderstanding the stance system.

Total War players :downs:

The AI gets bonuses I don't get? Bad design!

The AI intelligently uses the same system I do? Bad design!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I believe the big change is that you can go into Force March even if you've moved that turn. I'm pretty sure in Rome 2 you couldn't.

The other thing I don't get is that Sacking seems to use few movement points. I don't understand that design decision.

Ways to fix the player chases AI bullshit:
1. Can't do force march if you've moved that turn, its a toggle you set at the start
2. If you sack, that ends your turn, much like occupy

Finally, force march in general is real awful and I mentioned it as being a huge culprit for crappy fights in Rome 2. It's real neat they brought it back but I guess with underground and all that other stuff they would have felt bad wasting that code.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZearothK posted:

If you hover your mouse over an enemy army you too will have access to this cheat.

Except you don't know where all the enemy units are, or where unguarded cities are, etc. The AI certainly does have access to some of this information.

Rygar201 posted:

Lots of people are really butt hurt about misunderstanding the stance system.

Total War players :downs:

The AI gets bonuses I don't get? Bad design!

The AI intelligently uses the same system I do? Bad design!

So what you're tell me is I should be able to March stance up to a city, swap stances, attack city, swap stances again and warp out? Because that is certainly what I see the AI do somewhat frequently.

I routinely swap stances once, say when I'm in normal stance, was close to a city or enemy stack attacked it and then swapped to march stance.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
what they really loving need is an undo movement button before you end turn.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Fangz posted:

They can take a city or raze and move away after. It is absolutely something that the ai can do that the player cannot

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Except you don't know where all the enemy units are, or where unguarded cities are, etc. The AI certainly does have access to some of this information.

So what you're tell me is I should be able to March stance up to a city, swap stances, attack city, swap stances again and warp out? Because that is certainly what I see the AI do somewhat frequently.

Like I said, this would be straightforward to demonstrate with a Waargh army. I have never seen it, and so I think you've misinterpreted what you've seen.

terrorist ambulance posted:

They can take a city or raze and move away after. It is absolutely something that the ai can do that the player cannot

I'm pretty sure that I have actually razed and then moved on.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You can do this, just start your turn next to the city you wanna pillage.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
For shits and giggles I tried an army of Thorgrim, 5 Ironbreakers and 14 Organ Guns against a generic Chaos horde in a Custom underway battle. It did surprisingly well.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

I routinely swap stances once, say when I'm in normal stance, was close to a city or enemy stack attacked it and then swamped to march stance.

It is an entirely unproven assumption at this point that the AI is capable of attacking out of force march and directly in conflict with my own experience of watching the AI shuffling their units around specifically because they can't do this, eg Moving up an army next to you in forced march and then attacking with a closer army so that the force march army will join as reinforcements, which the player can also do and I personally use often to good effect.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

Like I said, this would be straightforward to demonstrate with a Waargh army. I have never seen it, and so I think you've misinterpreted what you've seen.

The reason that people bitch so much is that the AI can be outside of your army range, hit your town, and still end their turn outside of your army range. And if you force march or underground, you can't initiate a fight with them.

Sacking seems to take like no movement points, because the AI keeps going afterward. Pay attention how far the stack moves the next time a city is sacked. When you combine that with the fact that they can toggle into force march after sacking, it's completely idiotic.

Why do they let the AI force march out after sacking your city? Because that's what happens. In Rome 2 you had to enable force march at the start of your turn - and that was still dogshit, but better than this.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Grognan posted:

You can do this, just start your turn next to the city you wanna pillage.

Razing consumes an army's movement

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Being able to move (and encamp) after sacking is basically necessary for horde gameplay to even function, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about it.

quote:

It consumes most of your movement, and disallows attacking afterward, but if you raze a city you started your turn directly next to you will in fact have a little movement left, more if you switch to march stance afterwards.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

And toggling force march restores 50% of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

madmac posted:

Being able to move (and encamp) after sacking is basically necessary for horde gameplay to even function, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about it.

Because it loving sucks to chase AI armies around your territory and not catch them AND have them sack your cities in the process.

• Locked thread