Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lilspooky posted:

I know they're working on a patch, but I'm asking what their track record is for actually seeming to properly fix things based on how they handled the older games.

I think "iffy" is the only objective way to put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know I just realized that they finally got rid of that loving god awful "you need to toggle melee mode on/off" thing they had going for a while. Now we can just alt-click again to order missile units into melee.

I'm thankful for that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They should just give armies bigger zones of control. Half the reason AI armies are so annoying is it that it's basically impossible to impede movement in any way (besides an agent action). Hell you can be in the middle of a loving mountain pass and they'll walk right by you even without the underway. Zones of control are stupid small as may well not exist in the current implementation.

If you have an army parked in the middle of a road/pass it should be basically impossible for the enemy to just walk right around you without so much as slowing down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

Woaaah I sacked Couronne for 44000 favor and then Louen Leoncour rolled up with two armies and kicked my rear end.

Woah.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

This interview stuff didn't end up giving up much interesting info but I did like this part. I hope they end up buffing Mannfred and nerfing Kemmler in the next patch.

Demigryph Knight buffs inc

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

My Silver Seal quest seems to have malfunctioned. I did the first part (deploy a witchhunter) but the second part of the quest never fired. The only quest I have on my tab is the one for the Runefang.

Also, is there any way to improve my odds of getting a Captain? I want my +exp on recruits.

What do you mean by the "odds" of getting a Captain?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Active unit abilities would just be too much alongside all the plethora of spells and abilities heroes and lords have. As is I think this is the highest micro-ceiling Total War game yet just because of everything there is to manage on them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You can also set it so that groups automatically lock formation when you create them. It's in the options somewhere.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

Just in case any of you were wondering, gobblins whip great weapon dwarf warriors asses.

Really? That's not something I would have...

Nasgate posted:

On easy at least.

lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I haven't really been keeping up with development on this but just doing a quick glance through the thread, it looks like the general consensus is that this is actually a really, really drat good Total War? Just from a look here and there it looks pretty cool but how it is compared to say, Shogun 2? (Which was my favorite of the series thus far. I didn't hate Rome 2 but it just didn't quite do it for me the way Shogun did.)

Very good game. Possibly best Total War campaign yet. Lazy rear end multiplayer compared to Shogun 2 but still solid package.

If you care much about multiplayer then Shogun 2 probably still holds the crown for the series but either way this is a great buy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decus posted:

Also, and this ties in with point 2, at the moment their autoresolve implementation takes like nothing into account, as far as class vs. class matchups go.

The autoresolve definitely takes at least one class factor into account, and that is "if your class is 'single model monster' GET hosed AND DIE rear end in a top hat".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gammymajams posted:

This is really interesting. When you say the AI can look at 10 things to consider, do you mean e.g. 1. There's an enemy army within movement range of my city, defend the city. 2. Take an agent action against that enemy. 3. Build units in the nearby army? And if that goes beyond 10 it just ends turn? I'd also be really interested in a better auto resolve if you were to post the mod to the workshop.

He's taking about the about the actual calculations behind the results of an auto-resolve battle. Zero of the things you listed are relevant to that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I'd highly recommend moving battle difficulty to normal, even if you keep the campaign on easy

This isn't a thing anymore.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Next level poo poo right here.

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any word on fixing the bug where raise dead sometimes just doesn't ever benefit from high deathcounts for people?

The devs appear skeptical that it even exists so I wouldn't put too much hope in a quick fix.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Koorisch posted:

So is it worth putting charge bonus on Karl Franz when he gets Deathclaw?

Definitely because once he gets Deathclaw he becomes a lord/hero murdering machine. Extra charge bonus is potent when you are gunning for a one-model target and you have a flying mount that lets disengage --> re-charge with impunity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rygar201 posted:

I still can't believe people actually dislike RO. It's one of their very best ideas, from a gameplay and story perspective.

Agreed 100%. You're always gonna have some whiny babbies that resist change though so I guess having the mod around is the best solution. At least this way the babbies just mod themselves a worse game and enjoy that instead of complaining to the rest of us about the mechanic for years.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

So to reiterate the guy who asked earlier in the thread and didn't get a resposne

What the hell is RO? Why are people talking about it like everyone knows what it is?

RO = Regional Occupation = "Different homes for different folks"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can poison effects scatter onto your own units if your are shooting into a melee? Or can only the designated target be affected?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Avasculous posted:

I haven't played the tabletop games in many years, but at least then the sore lack of balance had less to do with rank incompetence or sinister intention and more to do with the impossibility of balancing a game that has 15+ different armies each with a literal book of unit choices, many of whom have multi-paragraph rules and between a few and few dozen optional paragraph-long abilities or equipment.

Which is fine, and I don't think GW ever intended their games to attract hardcore strategists. They're much more about the hobby of collecting, modding, and painting the units, and for that having a huge amount of customization is optimal.

Can you link me to your positive Age of Sigmar review?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hargrimm posted:

So how the hell is "a route from their capital" calculated that this doesn't qualify? I have a three-province long contiguous border with the Dwarfs.

As funny as it sounds you may not have a route. It could be that trade routes are traced along actual roads and/or main movement paths, not simple contiguous borders. All of the land directly between you is impassable. To the East there is literally only one single mountain pass that connect the north/south portions of their realm and it's right in that sliver that the Bloody Spear control. On the west the lack of Ackendorf is loving up the main route through Black Fire Pass. If this isn't a bug then that's my working theory.

Basically: lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

There is a separate battle difficulty slider in the options menu bro, how did you conclude it's not a thing?

Going back to this now I'm home and can see the client. As I missing something here?

It sure looks like just one slider to me. And there is nothing else in the main options menu.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

From the campaign menu where you are, you can only select the campaign difficulty. The battle difficulty starts at the same setting. When you are actually in the game, on turn 1, hit escape then options. A setting is now available for the Battle difficulty, which you can adjust to whatever you like regardless of what you just set as your Campaign difficulty.

The two are still tracked separately, so Battle difficulty is your in combat buffs etc.

lmao

Well, I admit I was wrong. But why in the holy gently caress would they do it like that?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

literally this big posted:

So how's the multiplayer for this game? Are the modes fun, and is it easy to get a game?

"Modes" don't exist. Multiplayer is 100% just a custom battle but with two humans (or whatever).

So, lazy. But of good quality in the sense that the game is good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

Not to one up the previous poster, but here's some in game screens. I took five minutes to toss an army up in custom battle.
it's 3 shield/spears, 2 swordsmen, three greatswords, 2 cannons, 2 riflemen, and 4 Knights.
Imho it's not a great composition. The greatswords are a bit redundant, but that's more to demonstrate that you don't need ranged to use the checkerboard formation for fun and profit.

Top down without unit highlights.

With highlights.

The general idea is to give yourself a place to fire with gunpowder and fire units since they have no firing arc to shoot over allies without a hill. The AI will try to envelop your line troops which will expose their flanks to your ranged units.
You can essentially replace the ranged units with heavy hitters or various cavalry for similar effect, which is closer to the original use of the Roman formation.
The infantry in the middle can be whatever you want, here I have greatswords, so assume I'm facing dwarves with this much armor piercing. You can use them to protect your ranged units, fill in lines, flank, or just sit there and be chearleaders.

Bonus pictures showing how i suck at making straight formations.
Front

Back

Pretty profile view

Put this poo poo in the OP and from now on relentlessly mock anyone who asks what checkerboarding is.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
e: ^^^ it comes up like every single page man it's ridiculous.

Yeah you don't need to hold alt. Just right clicking while you have a locked group selected issues the mass-charge.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 11, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Trolls routed by trollhammers.

Sounds like that weapon naming on was on point.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fans posted:

Light Wizards have the Net of Amyntok which is a Snare that instantly stops units. IN AN AOE.

It's a loving incredible spell. You can just outright deny a cavalry charge with it.

Catching a bunch of things in net in full vision of gunners is a beautiful thing.

Also if you overcast it's 20 seconds long.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shumagorath posted:

Turns out if you rebuild ruins you don't get the achievement for occupying somewhere i.e. Kislev as VC after Chaos burns it to the ground.

Yeah you have push the button that says "occupy", not the button that says "colonize".

Just like how you get the "ultimate grudge" for razing Karaz-a-Karak even if the greenskins were the ones in there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
After playing a decent bit of multiplayer yesterday I really feel like magic is in a bad place in that area. Most spells are useless, and the ones that are good are way to good. Death magic is the big offender but not the only one. Everyone knows about spirit leech and how it can turn most matches into a hero snipe duel.

But Fate of Bjuna is possibly even worse. There are units that can be one click deleted by it. Outriders will be destroyed from full health with one cast. Hexwraiths, which cost 1500g, are deleted by one cast of Fate of Bjuna. For 13 mana. A loving Steam Tank will go down to 3 or 4 casts of spirit leech, which might sound like a lot but is only 24 mana in total. 24 mana to kill a 2200g unit. That's a the real problem with magic right now. Spirit leech and other snipe make any investment into a non-sniping general a liability. Fate of Bjuna nullifies many elite units. These combine to drive players towards boring rosters or lose. Cavalry over 1000g is not viable against a death mage. Single model units are an extreme risk.

And honestly they don't even need to necessarily reduce the potency of these spells to balance them. Increasing the cost of some spells might do it. Or reducing the range. Or a combination. All I know is that deleting expensive units with one click, for not that much mana, from gunshot range or more is just terrible.

I'd say that across the board direct target needs to be nerfed in some way. A lot of buff and AOE spells aren't actually bad per se, it's just that they are not worth it when when you can use that mana to just click-delete enemy units and heroes from the battlefield.

Disclaimer: all analysis above is from Large unit size. I have both done and received everything described.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 12, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

Magic swinging wildly between overpowered and useless is just another way this game is faithful to the tabletop :colbert:

Yeah and the tabletop is a bad game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

terrorist ambulance posted:

It's very annoying when your faction leader picks up traits like "harsh" and "unjust". Faction-wide public order penalty in all provinces that you cannot remove unless you don't use your legendary lord.

They might as well not even have traits. You have enough to keep track of with everyone's different skills, magic, and equipment without also worrying about some traits that you have no control over and are only ever seen on a stat page you barely have reason to visit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Beans posted:

Interesting, what are you finding the chariot does better than cavalry?

Chariots are basically just glass cannon cavalry given steroids. They mulch infantry blobs way better than the same weight in cav and basically won't take any return damage if they don't get bogged down. But if they get caught by spears/halberds or stuck in a dense mass that prevents movement they will just flop over and die on the spot.

They also scale tremendously with the amount of micro applied to them. This makes them awesome for level 1 lord armies, not worth their cost in well developed armies, and basically unusable in multiplayer.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm unimpressed by boar units in general.

Yeah they have a decent shock when they hit the lines. But they are slow as poo poo and aren't even that good in melee once the charge is over. In multiplayer I don't find them worth the gold. In campaign lol if you think I'm prioritizing that building before I have literally everything else.

Wolf Riders on the other hand are loving boss as hell for something that only costs 300g.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

Is there a way to make factions that keep asking for treaties you don't want to sign shut up? The vampires consistently pester me nearly every turn.

Declare war. That'll stop em!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fire Barrel posted:

Although, I think I'd also like to see a mod add in the vermintinde cast.

Don't worry Skaven are almost certainly being added at some point here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

President Ark posted:

are there any sites or wikis or anything that have a list of the unique province buildings like this

Literally the Steam achievements.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Steamtanks are basically invincible unless targeted by certain magic or specific monster destroying weapons.

Either you were pulling some clown tactics or something was going on beyond what you described. Did those dwarfs have trollhammer torpedoes or something?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

I was doing multiple things at once so it's entirely possible he had stuff I missed, I suspect it's more to do with the fact he was shooting three units of cannons at it and they it was charged by plagues Knights while its fighting Dwarfs with great weapons.

Multiplayer?

Not sure if "plagues Knights" is a typo of something but if it indicates the presence of Vampire Counts then the Steam Tank could easily have been spirit leeched for big damage. Cannons will take it down but it's a fairly slow process unless the range is so close they basically can't miss. Infantry would take quite some time to beat it down on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

Aren't replays bugged to the point that they won't be an accurate, uh, replay of what happened?

They seem to be accurate if no reinforcements are involved. So they are 100% reliable for multiplayer, and still good for any campaign battles that don't involve a reinforcing army. When reinforcements are involved they seem to be 50/50 between "works fine" and "completely inaccurate", but you can tell immediately by just seeing if the reinforcing army/armies entered the battlefield at the right vector.

• Locked thread