Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
VC may have all the cool flying beasts, broken vampires, spooky ghost units, and millions of zombies, but in the end there is nothing that will carry you like a good Grave Guard.

Fight would have been a lot easier, except Kemmler entered at like 300 hp from a previous auto-resolve, so I didn't dare have him use any overcharged invocations.

Of course the Varg still have 7 stacks in Kislev against my two (rip third stack which sacrificed itself to end the Chaos invasion).

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Voyager I posted:

I'd be pretty dubious about checkerboarding with the Empire. Dwarven melee units are tough enough to bear the burden and their ranged units won't melt if some enemies slip through the gaps, but Empire infantry is of generally lower quality and their Handgunners will just die if you let cavalry hit them.

Checkerboard works really well with Empire too. While their infantry (except Greatswords) won't hold nearly as long, they will hold long enough. Just keep a couple units of Halberds in reserve and use your superior cavalry to slaughter anything that tries to flank before sending them into the infantry line. Once lategame hit I liked sticking 2-3 tanks in my front line to really bolster its toughness.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Geez, Legendary is a rather cruel difficulty level. Being unable to play at half-speed or even being able to move the camera while paused is rough, especially when you have no mini-map. Battles with multiple stacks are going to be absurdly chaotic.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I have decided to counter Legendary's bullshit with a lot of bullshit of my own. After taking Marienburg really fast I had Karl spend the next 15 turns constantly sacking that one Orc town next to Marienburg, which boosted his level really high and instantly fulfilled the 'defeat 5 Orc army' quest objectives for Ghal Maraz. Turn 30 and the Emperor has his hammer and the Silver Seal.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I haven't really been keeping up with development on this but just doing a quick glance through the thread, it looks like the general consensus is that this is actually a really, really drat good Total War? Just from a look here and there it looks pretty cool but how it is compared to say, Shogun 2? (Which was my favorite of the series thus far. I didn't hate Rome 2 but it just didn't quite do it for me the way Shogun did.)

This game is indeed very very good. The core game play is great and it has been the most stable launch since Shogun 2. I would say it is easily my favorite of the series. Just so much fun to be had when you are playing a game with giant spiders, spooky ghosts, and a dude on a giant bird stomping the poo poo out of the super villain. As an added bonus there is just so much stuff that they are planning on adding via DLC/Expansions so this game should have a very long lifespan.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Patch Notes are up

Blood Knights are the first FLC.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hahahahaha :allears:

In general, Chaos got pretty darn buffed, with the exception of Forsaken, who don't seem to be the most cost-effective Chaos Infantry anymore. Also no mention of Gorebeast Chariots upkeep.

code:
Fixed an issue where Chaos Chariots and Gorebeast Chariots were receiving too much upkeep reduction under certain circumstances and weren't affected by certain technologies. 
Down in Campaign-General.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

The best way to fight defensive sieges is just to let a rebellion grow. Once the stack gets near max it will siege one of your cities and 4-5 turns later it will attack. Obviously this means you are limited to fighting single stack armies, but some of those late game rebel armies are pretty nasty.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Already looking forward to taking over the world using Volkmar fielding armies of nothing but Flaggelants

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Got the Warhammer chest for Dota 2 from preordering this game. Sold it on the marketplace for 10$. Thanks for paying for my DLC Dota fans.

e: And the second chest they sent sold for 24$. They paid for all the DLC!

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 2, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I think this is the first time I have ever purchased something without actually looking to see what was in it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

You don't really appreciate just how low Goblin morale is until you play a faction of nothing but on Very Hard and a pissed off stack of stunties comes after you. Thank Gork the game starts you with an Arachnarok.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Just managed to take Karak Eight Peaks as Skarsnik in one hell of a battle. That super powerful defender stack plus the already large garrison in a well upgraded city vs my one stack (which was basically Skarsnik, my starting big boss, my starting arachnarok, a handful of skulkers, and every possible RoR I could get my hands on) and a full Waagh which had an Arachnarok and a Giant. Ended up with the 3 Arachnaroks fighting in an epic clash while the rest of my army slowly pushed through the gate in a hellish bloodbath. Might have been the funnest siege assault I have played.

Also, goblins get really really insane if you follow the middle upgrade tree for Skarsnik. Two different attack upgrades which combined give them like 36 melee attack and 40% charge bonus. Add to that the army poison bonus....

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Krimson Killas are hilarious when fighting weaker infantry units. Where they stumble, however, is against really elite units. They might be able to mulch a dozen swordsman units, but a regular Black Orc can actually match them pretty well due to their larger unit size.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

According to reddit, the livestream just announced Harpies in a Beastman FLC (along with Morghur) coming with the DLC.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Also they said that Morghur starts in Nordland and has the power to create Chaos Spawns.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

In completely unsurprising news, Jade Wizards and Grey Wizards will be available for the Empire as FLC next week.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Lore of Life:

code:
Spells
Lifebloom (Augment)
Replenishes hit points of friendly combatants map-wide whenever a Life spell is cast

Awakening of The Wood (Explosion)
Magical damage, large explosion area, reduces target’s speed

Flesh To Stone (Augment)
Improves armour of friendly targets

Shield of Thorns (Augment)
Area-effect, improves missile parry and weapon damage of friendly combatants

Regrowth (Augment)
Replenishes hit-points of friendly target combatants & Physical Resistance

Earth Blood (Augment)
Area effect, replenishes hit-points of friendly combatants

The Dwellers Below (Direct Damage)
Large explosion area, strong vs multiple combatants, reduces target speed, severe damage, chance to resist 
Lore of Shadow:

code:
Spells

Smoke & Mirrors (Augment)
Map wide speed boost for friendly troops

Melkoth’s Mystifying Miasma (Direct Damage)
Strong vs multiple combatants, slows movement speed

The Enfeebling Foe (Hex)
Reduces target’s melee attack and melee defence

The Withering: (Hex)
Reduces target’s armour and leadership

The Penumbral Pendulum (Direct damage – wind)
Magical damage, large area of effect, strong vs multiple units

Pit of Shades (Vortex)
Magical damage, large explosion area, strong vs multiple units, disrupts units

Okkam’s Mindrazor (Augment)
Imbues bonus magical damage and bonus armour-piercing damage 

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

This mini campaign is pretty rough. Wood Elf infantry is just so soft that it is hard to protect your missile units as Orion. Definitely need to invest in some of the big beefy trees for my armies. I actually had a really close battle at the Oak where two of the giant Beastmen armies marched in and fought Orion's stack plus the garrison. Ended up winning with just Orion and a bunch of archers that were out of arrows. So close to losing the entire campaign.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Whew, the final battle in the mini-campaign is rough on Very Hard. It didn't help that the army I was using wasn't very good, but I eventually prevailed after a lot of trial and error. As lovely as Eternal Guard are, 4 of them holding a chokepoint with a life wizard right behind them were capable of holding off thousands of beastmen while my archers and Orion murdered everybody.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Going full elf for the Spear fight was brutal. I got a whole bunch of rangers to hold the slopes and a fuckton of waywatchers up top. 20 seconds is nowhere near enough to do anything but maybe launch an arrow of kurnous at the wall of invincible chaos spawn and my melee dudes couldn't hold their positions long enough so what I ended up doing was bury morghur under a giant pile of arrow shafts regardless of whether he had his shield up or not, I don't think it's doable without getting some form of tree duders on difficulties above normal.

I was able to pull it off on Very Hard after a few tries despite having 0 trees. I had 4 Eternal Guard with Shields and 2 wardancers holding one of the chokepoints while my 7 archer units sat on the ridge above. Orion, a Life Wizard, and a Sisters of the Thorn sat behind my infantry line providing healing/buffs or in Orion's case dropping his abilities onto the massed up beastmen. I had a couple Wild Riders sitting to the side picking off any flankers until the enemy stopped spawning at which point they took the long route and slammed into the rear of the enemy. Whenever the shield went down I would have all my missile units focus fire on a chaos spawn and just ignored Morghur until the end.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Lost in all the WE discussion is the fact that Empire with Jade Wizards is actually completely bonkers. Stick a mounted wizard with your Demigryphs and watch as those high hp models completely mulch Blood Knights without losing a single dude. A line of Greatswords can now beat an equal number of Chosen with Great Weapons as long as you get 2-3 overcast heals out.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Oh hell yes. Nothing unexpected with the reveal, but it confirmed everything I wanted. The Horned Rat comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Holy poo poo I am super hype right now. Skaven are gonna be my first race for sure.

• Locked thread