Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Verranicus posted:

So since Radious is apparently terrible can anyone suggest another mod to lengthen battles? As it is by the time I get done issuing all my orders half the enemy seems to ave broken already and I wanna enjoy the view.

I was messing around with this at release and really enjoyed it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691006940

For the most part it simply makes the battles last longer. He has some changes to stamina and such that I felt were quite reasonable to include in the mod, so that units don't get exhausted firing ranged weapons for instance.

quote:

You are going to have difficulty finding a good one because the speed of battle is baked into the design
There's been a lot of Warhammer mods for Total War games and there's a general "slow battle pace" that people go for in mods. I don't know what "part of the design" means but if you modify the values you can extend the battles, which is what this mod does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dongattack posted:

I put this down while finishing Blood & Wine and having my fill of Hearts of Iron 4, but now when i try to play again i have this horrible flickering bug on the campaign map that i have never seen before. No graphical option change seems to do anything, Vsync on/off and windowed mode on/off as suggested in google searches did nothing and absolutely nothing about my system has changed since last time i played save updated Nvidia drivers.

Anyone had this and found a way to fix it?

Yes, this is a CA bug. Alt Tab out of the game and tab back in - that fixes it for me. Older drivers still had this issue, looking forward to bugfix update 1.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dongattack posted:

Ah okay thanks. I did a clean driver install this time and i don't wanna mess with it so i'll just wait.

Try just alt tab out of the game and alt tab back in when you first launch it. For me that makes the flickering stop right away.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dongattack posted:

That doesn't work either for me.

The next two fixes are:
-Make sure vsync is off
-Run it in borderless windowed mode

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dongattack posted:

I tried that also :P

Then you are most. def waiting, sorry for your loss.

So I'm playing through an Empire VH campaign and I think this is the best example of the pacing being completely screwy. If you look at the cost + turn times to build + limited slots, you really can't either build or maintain a lot of expensive stuff until about turn 60-80. Chaos shows up around this time and you generally spend the next 30 turns fighting them.

It just takes too long to be able to play with the cool units. Why do I have to wait 10 turns for growth and then build time to upgrade my capital, then another 5 turns and 10k to build the cool building, then 3 turns to recruit the unit, then another 4-5 to get it to the frontline army... 20+ turns to actually field new stuff from the point that you get it. This is assuming you can have more than one 'premier' stack, I generally feel that I can only afford a main stack and a budget stack midgame due to the campaign tuning.

Thoughts from the latest runthrough, this one on VH:

With the current pacing it feels like Chaos waves should be on turn 100 and 150 not 80 and 100. Is there a way to mod this?

I get the desire to make the player make some decisions with upgrades and costs. I don't get the way it plays out in the campaign. Why does everything take so long and so much money? It's just a consistent theme that I don't get. I have never been a fan of the upkeep mods or building cost mods, I sure feel like the build costs could be cut by 25% and the game wouldn't suffer for it. Yes I know agents improve this, they are gated behind a lot of turns, I also dislike the micro and leveling them. I would really rather not have to spend 5 minutes every turn clicking to get the build costs to where I can build stuff.

Why does CA really love crappy events and bonuses so much more than neutral or good ones? Is this some dour English thing? The gods are always angry, there's some lovely migration. Is there a single like, straight buff event?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Perestroika posted:

Though note that this only applies to certain elite Great Weapon units, and less so to the variants of regular infantry. The thing is that different weapon types have different attack speeds, which are for some reason not listed in the unit attributes. Great Weapons and Halberds in particular tend to have markedly lower attack speeds than regular hand weapons. For example, all of the Dwarf Great Weapon varieties of the regular infantry (excepting hammerers) will perform worse against light infantry than the regular ones, because they have the same total damage per hit (albeit at a higher AP-ratio) at a slower rate of attack. Chosen, Chaos Warrior, and Empire Halberdiers have similar problems. Greatswords and Black Orcs are somewhat exceptional in that they're a higher-tier unit with better base stats than regular infantry, rather than a unit variant with just a different weapon profile.

Halberds do have an attack penalty, do dwarf great weapon units also get this attack speed penalty? Like quarrelers with great weapons attack at ~5 seconds instead of the default 3.8? Same with Warriors and Longbeards?

What the hell are the attack times for Hammerers and Slayers then :psyduck:

Is there a way to get a list of which units use which attack speeds? Barring that, because it might be lengthy, can we get a list of which great weapon units take 5+ seconds? Maybe that's shorter.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mazz posted:

Halberds are like 5.5 lol

Slayers are normal speed IIRC, and have +30 to large which is why they are great against Varghulfs and Varheists.

Apparently some units can also hit multiple units per swing? Is this just monstrous units or do long ranged units like Halberds / Spears have this effect as well?

Do some artillery units have different values for direct / splash damage? Is there a way to tell whether 'explosive' damage is regular dmg, ap dmg, or neither?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mazz posted:

Splash damage is certainly a thing, there are items/abilities that can add it to units without. I don't think any baseline infantry have it but I never looked closely. The weapon damage tooltip when you mouse over the tells you the exact break down off damage types, including explosive for units that have it. The only thing I don't think it models right is extra ranged damage units get from veterancy or hero boosts. Like the damage is there but the stat breakdown doesn't update to show it.

I've seen the explosive damage in the tooltip, I wasn't sure if that's considered AP damage or regular damage in terms of how armor affects it. I'll see if I can infer it on the unit performance.

I have not seen a way to see the splash damage on units in unit cards, that's why I was curious about that.

Incidentally Reddit guys couldn't seem to figure out whether splash damage is applied to all the units it hits, or whether it's divided between the units it hits. So Kholek for instance can hit up to 7 units per swing. It was unclear whether that means his 400 damage gets done to all 7 models it hits, or whether it's 400 damage spread between the 7 models. The latter might explain why splash and monstrous units seem so underwhelming if that's the case.

Here's the relevant quote:

quote:

It seems to fall down to spash_attack_max_attacks and spash_power_multiplier which are set at 7 and 1 for Kholek, respectively. I used to think that this meant that Kholek could hit 7 guys for 400 ap each but it might actually be distributing the 400 damage between 7 guys.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mazz posted:

It's definitely spreading it out since 400 to any infantry is enough to kill it IIRC, units fighting those lords would loving evaporate.

If someone makes an AOE as gently caress mod I'd try it, I want to play a campaign where all the monstrous units are WWE wrestlers and the regular infantry are just getting super slammed from the ropes.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

What you call bad pacing is actually perfect pacing, with the idea being that new units become gradually available over the course of the game so that every twenty or thirty turns the player needs to make a decision about how/whether to integrate that new unit into his armies. If you got all your units at turn 20 you'd just be having the same finalised army composition for 90% of your campaign instead of the final 30%, and the result is that players will burn out fast.

It's loving perfect the way it is, this CA masterpiece that took years to make :patriot:

quote:

The cool units are cool *because* they are hard to get. Remember how in base Shogun 2 musketeers and mounted ranged were endgame units? Here mounted range is first tier and handgunners are barely mid tier! So suddenly these cool units you had to beg and scrape to get aren't cool any more. The fact that you're thinking 'oh man, it'll rock when I finally get my steam tanks' is the design working. Go get a mod if you don't like it.

My steam tanks are going to be coming online at turn 120, and I've defeated the chaos invasion already. What do I use them against? What do you feel was perfect about this pacing?

The harder the difficulty the later you'll get your cool poo poo. On Normal you can get cool poo poo by turn 40-60. On hard by turn 60-80. On vh+ it's turn 80-100. On vh+ it overlaps with the chaos invasion.

quote:

Whuh? Those are positive events. Gods are angry is a growth buff. Great migration is a pretty significant cut to recruitment costs.

Hey bro if you think that events that take 1500 and provide a bonus you don't need are a positive event, I don't think we're going to agree on the rest. There's this cool event where you can pay 1500 to improve the omens or not improve the omens. It's your choice, totally neutral event. Oh wait you didn't improve the omens, haha image of angry god for 5 turns, lmao.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

dogstile posted:

Man on VH+ my buds are getting their steam tanks online far quicker than you because they're prioritising that poo poo and sacking like crazy in wars their allies are fighting.

You can build the level 1 gun building wherever, it doesn't need to be in a capital. The difference between having Nuln and not having Nuln is pretty massive. I was having chain war decs that kept me from being able to declare on the Nuln guys and take that province. Since I only had altdorf, I had to choose, griffins or steam tanks. I went griffin. I finally got Nuln on turn 90, as a size 3. It took about 10 turns of growth for it to hit size 4 and build the upgrade. Then another 10 for size 5. The cannon building has to be upgraded to level 3. So first you build it, which is 3 turns. Upgrade to level 2, 4 turns. Upgrade to level 3, 5 turns. Remember, can't upgrade to level 2 or 3 until the capital is the right size, and every time a city switches hands even if you occupy you will lose a settlement level. If the city is under attack a lot you either park one of your two armies that you can afford there to defend it, or you spend a slot on a garrison, which also costs money and time.

There's no doubt that you can sit there and posture about how badass you are and how early you can get a t2 / t3 unit if you rush for it. For me though, I find it striking that if you want to be able to field multiple late game units, and agents, and research techs, you really need secure borders, provinces, slots, and you need to not be pillaged or sacked or you will lose 10-15 turns each time it happens. It's not a question of can I win - sure I can win - it's just that I can either win the game on the timetable they provide, or I can get to the point that I can use the cool lategame units.

My preference would be that either the campaign slows down to the point I can build and field the poo poo, or that building and fielding the poo poo is quicker. I really don't care which is the solution.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm fairly sure Nuln's artillery boosts are factionwide, not province-limited, so there's no specific reason to build your artillery chains in Nuln itself. You can build all of that in Altdorf and then get Nuln whenever.

It would be nice to get the end-game stuff slightly earlier though.

Altdorf has a port, so that's a slot. It also gets a unique building which is a requirement for Gent, that's also a slot. If you build the armory in the capital, and you have to if you want to upgrade it past level 1, that's a slot. If Altdorf is level 5, you have occupied 3 / 5 slots. If you want to build a menagerie for gryphons, that's a fourth slot. You can't build that anywhere that isn't the capital. And if you want a shrine to Sigmar level 3 because that was your only way to recruit warrior priests, then you have a problem.

So I had an artillery school + armory problem. If it was just the artillery building it would be fine, but artillery + armory seems to require a provincial capital dedicated to steam tanks if that's what you want. You also have to know that you need both of these buildings and plan ahead - no problem once you've played a faction, awkard if you haven't. Especially if you are also building sigmar shrines / wizard colleges / armories in various places.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Decus posted:

For VC at least I can get all of their stuff by turn 60 at the latest on very hard (turn 40-50 is more likely). Not sure on empire, but if they have any +growth agents or buildings you probably want to focus those before a tear-down in order to hit max city levels. Not sure where they fall on the growth spectrum between VC and dwarves, with dwarves being super slow if you don't focus it and VC being fast even if you don't. But, if you focus dwarves you can get your growth to be around VC un-focused level so turn 60 for a maxed town is still very possible.

Just don't be afraid to build and even upgrade growth buildings and then tear them down later. Same for agent recruitment--build the building and then tear-down since money should never be an issue unless you aren't sacking enough.

I didn't really have an issue with slot contention as VC. They have enough money, recruitment flexibility, and two 3 city provinces that get given to them early enough to be able to groom those however they want. I run into it as at Empire and Dwarfs, since both of those seem to require quite a bit of planning.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

Was it you that said you upgrade all your settlements to level 3, and only build one growth building per province even in Altdorf? Because I think I can see why your development is so slow.

Which event is that? Under the dark moon's glare is indeed pay for leadership buff/or risk chance of bad thing (usually temporary public order loss, no big deal). Angry gods is pay to placate gods and get a buff, or say No and get a public order debuff/growth buff.

I was the guy who posted that I make tons of growth buildings everywhere and they tie up slots and you explained to me that I should build less growth buildings and they wouldn't tie up my slots. Apparently I'm also the guy that needs to build more growth buildings, and then I'll have the growth I want. Hmm.

Yeah so dark moon's glare is a problem if you have crappy public order, which will generally be an issue with VH penalty + Vampire corruption + Chaos Corruption if you're Empire. That means you kinda have to pay it, so that's a 1500 gold tax and happens pretty regularly. Same for Angry Gods. If it's a buff that doesn't help your situation in any way and you can't decline it without some lovely penalty, to me that's not a great event.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

dogstile posted:

So yeah, you're prioritising different things and wondering why its taking so long to get all the later units. I didn't get cat mounts until after I had the tanks, I just chose to prioritise the tanks. Actually having to make a decision isn't bad game design

Is it ok to want to be able to field both cat knights and Steam tanks in my Empire army, and at that point have semblance of an actual opponent to fling them at?

Or is life about making hard choices and the Warhammer videogame is gently teaching me that lesson?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

dogstile posted:

Use custom battle then. You rarely have an actual opponent in the base campaign anyway if you want a legitimate gripe.

That pisses me off too!

So yeah my suggestion was that making it a bit easier to build neat faction special units in the campaign that is already a pushover as you explain, and I agree with, might be fun.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

dogstile posted:

In fact, its better to use middenland, they get a better building for them!

That's fine, but that's not the purpose of the campaign. The purpose of the campaign is to attempt to have you make tough choices and that does happen every now and then. Removing that completely runs against that. If you disagree fine, I probably can't convince you anyway.

The tough choice of whether you want cats or tanks in your army, this is the sort of decision that you will have to make when you command in the end times.

So my quest to get big epic battles on VH went no better than the attempts on Hard. I still found the campaign difficulty frontloaded in the first 60-80 turns, and by the time I got settled in and was able to set up my provinces as I choose and build the army comps I wanted, the chaos invasion was basically over. Maybe that's a better way to sum it up.

quote:

If you are really having trouble getting settlements to level 5, you could also capture or confederate an AI settlement that has this built up already

Incidentally be real careful when you confederate, the AI seems to love going after your the newly garrisonless holdings. This applies to both player and NPC factions. It seems to be a lot of why the map gets devastated - the AI confederates and some other faction just burns them to the ground.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Decus posted:

Mannfred and Varghulf can't solo on very hard, at least not by mid-game. The difference is in the enemy not routing--they essentially halve your fear effect--so instead of coming out of scrapes with 600/2000 enemies dead because the other 1400 ran away it's more like you died at around 600/2000 enemies dead because the other 1400 still were trying to kill you and blobbed you and made it harder to retreat and regen*. You can still solo early game stacks because they can't really touch mannfred too effectively after he's sniped the other lord and then the varghulf can just stay on the fringe and get rear charges, but by mid-game that just isn't true of mannfred anymore since things like savage orcs or halbs or greatswords or most dwarf units can definitely start hurting him--+12% melee attack and +12% weapon damage is actually enough to make that difference. Dwarf lords also tend to take more like 4 casts to go down and if you don't down them they can definitely murderize mannfred with those stat buffs. You'll run out of magic and thus heals before you get the kills you'd need to win.
One of the things I find least enjoyable about fights on VH is the constant enemy routing / reforming stuff. Here's some of the fun behaviors:

-Units of Cav are trying to flank your main infantry formation. The AI will always do this with cav, and time the flank shortly after the line makes contact.
-If you put units of spears on the flanks and never touch them again, that's the best move. Your guys will soak the charges but do ok since they have the charge bonus negation thing as spearmen, and they won't chase fleeing units
-If you make the mistake of clicking an enemy unit it will kite your melee guy and pull him out of formation
-Even when the enemy cav decides to engage your units the AI will pull it out 2-3 times to cycle charge
-You either have to micro the units back or let them eat the charge every time

Routing complicates the above since your guys will either pursue or disengage accordingly. So I have a unit of greatswords wrecking some goblin spider riders. The goblin spider riders break, so my greatswords stop fighting them. The spider riders reform 3 seconds later and charge into the back of your greatswords that were just killing them. Yeah they'll eat a rear charge too.

Basically, it feels like when a unit routs it's pure upside for the AI. Your units will either ignore it or pursue it - whichever would be worse, the unit gets to reposition for free, and there's no stacking 'broke before, max morale is now lower' thing that they used to have.

I've had an enemy unit of boars, that has been broken 3 times, come back and with the 3 remaining boars tie up my crossbowmen before dying to them. I mean come on :psyduck:

quote:

*unless the AI decided to go back to launch Rome 2 and do that weird thing where they all dance around in circles without actually attacking your units. If they're doing that then you've basically won since no more than 1-2 units will be attacking you at a time giving everybody room to maneuver and retreat to heal. They really need to fix this since it kind of does happen a lot, especially if you were the one to initiate the attack.

I see some mild chicken dancing on charges - where the AI seems to try to bail out of a charge, wait 5-10 seconds, then actually charge you. Other than that, I haven't seen too much AI broken dancing like Rome 2.

Yeah I agree that VH kinda wrecks certain strategies. The AI units can't really rout or shatter too easily, you'll be fighting their army to the end. Fear units are pretty bad accordingly, in the campaign at least. The morale stuff along with the combat stuff is just a touch wonky. I think there's other ways to improve AI combat performance that aren't as overt.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Grognan posted:

Get some wolves and chase them off the map.

Yes if you have some good cav and send them to smash the enemy lovely cav that is an absolutely winning move. Assuming you are at the point in the campaign where you have cav, you should for sure smash the enemy cav with it in the early parts of the battle. It really works well with the battle flow too - as you finish mopping up the enemy cav, your cav gets to flank the engaged infantry.

It's actually this AI behavior that upped my opinion of cav big time. They are more useful than ranged units at taking down cav, at least from what I've seen in Warhammer.

The enemy cav will STILL break and drag your cav across the entire map which requires you to micro the units constantly. So it's still an annoyance, but a workable one if you stay on top of it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Decus posted:

Also, just checked and I'd been using one of my mods so not actually sure if he still cant' solo vanilla very hard! Forgot I even had that ticked since it's on page 2 of the mod select screen but I'd made the fatigue effects harsher and decreased defense a bit further when flanked/attacked in the rear so all of that would definitely have made any one-man army strategy far less effective.

Not related to your post directly, just wanted to throw this out there:

Having played some Grimgor campaigns I feel that his lack of a mount really cripples his ability to be a battlefield menace.

I get it, it's flavor and balancing. As a counterpoint, I'd like to submit that flying poo poo is loving cool and I shouldn't have to do Azhag if I wanna fly and wreck poo poo.

Karl Franz gave me more of the melee monster experience than Grimgor did, sadly the roster is not as fighty.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Deified Data posted:

Finished Chaos long campaign and I am SO HAPPY I won't have to do it again.

The winning strat seems to be ignoring the cool stuff in favor of spamming autoresolve with stacks full of heavy infantry. Fighting Horsca was actually the most fun part of the whole campaign, if that says anything. I never even recruited Archaeon, lol. The great Everchosen was off in his vacation home during the End Times, I guess.

Kholek is probably the best LL in the game that isn't broken, though. If a mod ever comes out that just makes the Chaos strategic layer like everyone else's (and removes everything that makes them tedious special, yes I know), I'm game for another go.

Get this: Huns were the least popular / fun faction in Attila, and Chaos sucks poo poo in Warhammer.

Not only that but the strategic layer is worse for it, as the sack and move / force march whenever you like stuff is pretty much expressly there to make horde gameplay work.

It would have been simpler, easier, and more effective to have Chaos take over cities from the north and start making ever larger armies accordingly. Nope instead it's scripted benny hill stacks that run around your empire for 30 turns.

CA doesn't seem to be able to let some of their ideas go, just double down on them. Agents are annoying? Now you HAVE to use them. Horde gameplay is underwhelming? Make it the main mechanic of the antagonist faction. Good stuff.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Tell that to the Avatar System.

Ok, let me amend that to CA only spitefully retains and expands features players express dislike for.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ice Fist posted:

How is this many stacks even possible in a vanilla game without just going bankrupt?

For you, it's not. For the AI, $$$ bonuses and upkeep bonuses.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 18, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tardcore posted:

Your orc made his dance too sexy and paid the price, a good event.

Someone typoed it, it's the rear end watcher, and you're slowed down because you're just gazing at a really nice rear end.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wafflecopper posted:

:cry: The AI uses cavalry effectively! :cry:

Haha are you straight making poo poo up here, or can you not read?

It just does the same thing regardless of the units it has, whether they can actually pull the move off. It's meant to look flashy and makes for people being impressed at how the AI flanks and uses its cav. My complaint is that it's not effective enough, it just looks cool for people who haven't seen it 20 times in a row.

Given that the AI has one specific way that it flanks, I found I was better off using Cav to pre emptively charge the cav that sits on the flanks waiting to charge. If you get all excited watching that one ai cav flanking routine, man CA has you covered with warhammer.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

With Rome 2 etc there were a variety of community setting for tournaments that became popular. No more than 6 of one unit, no more than two chariots I believe, and some other stuff.

This is an ESL tournament, not a CA tournament, right? How did people decide CA's balancing group made those restrictions? I believe CA had nothing to do with it at all.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gejnor posted:

Well, this is only for the lord in question, so you won't see an army wide boost in speed, this'd give grimgor a very small but noticable bump, though i am wondering what it would do to a mounted orc lord or a flying one.

Based on my experience it makes sense to have a buff for the +10% missile resistance skill that most lords have. Cool idea for faction flavor, I sure don't select it when it's just +10% missile resist.

I am messing around with the Legendary Lords get Mounts mod in my modded campaign and finding it to be a cool improvement. Even with that I don't think the +10% speed is such a gamebreaker, there's a banner that gives a unit +15% speed.

If you really want you can install that mod and try Grimgor on a wyvern with the speed buff. If that doesn't make him completely broke then it will probably be fine in the campaign.

By the way Mazz that Level 4 all factions mod is GREAT. I included it as part of my mod package and it's really well done, and polished. It helps the VCs greatly as well, and makes the slot micro way less tedious. Thanks man.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wafflecopper posted:

And you accuse me of making poo poo up

I see, thanks for your great one liners. So there's nothing you disagree with, you just think that I'm bitching about cav when I'm not.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why do you even play the game if all you do is bitch about it?

I put up the stuff I observe, good and bad. The tactical battles are really freaking cool. So is the unit diversity. The campaign looks more impressive than it is, with frayed poo poo around agents, building slots, and turn times.

Some of the fixes are really easy and straightforward. I just tried a modded campaign with no hostile AI agent actions, +10% home movement speed, legendary lord mounts, permanent retinues, better camera, level 4 minor settlements ,stronger and later chaos invasion, and conquer anywhere. It's a real nice change of pace and fixes a lot of the issues people have posted in this thread.

I take this thread as a place for people to compare notes about what works and what doesn't, what's cool and what's not. Sometimes the discussions are worthwhile, sometimes not. Who gives a poo poo?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Deified Data posted:

So as VC what do you guys do after taking out Templehof and Schwartzwafen? I feel like I'm in a delicate diplomatic situation and I want to piss off as few people as possible.

Wait until the Bloody Spears take over that one Dwarf town in Zhufbar, then sack it every single turn thereafter. You can also leave an army in raiding stance for a hilarious -30 public order penalty. Multiple armies can do this in a province in a turn, so three lords = -90 public order.

For expanding into empire territory I would say Averland then Wissenland are probably your two best bets.

The way that you're meant to conquer without pissing people off is spreading vampiric corruption past 40%, putting 2-3 armies in raid, trigger vamp rebels, which will then raze the city for you.

VC really benefit from Conquer Anywhere, if you can conquer Zhufbar that's super nice. Heading north into chaos stuff sucks imo, so I'd go Averland / Wissenland / Border Princes.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

You might want to look into the diplomatic screen before figuring out who to gently caress up. AI factions have random personalities/relationships so some are better to attack than others. For me hitting Ostermark was the right thing to do.

From what the mod guys posted in the thread, it seems out that some factions are hard coded as spoilers and others have a more normal AI. Some of the AI improvement packages simply remove the spoiler AI behavior and let the factions play normally.

So you'll find that when you replay the same faction the conquer progression is fairly similar. It's not as random as it appears, though I'll put a caveat. This applies far more to Empire / VC stuff than to Ork / Dwarf stuff.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I found that the bloody spearz were fond of spamming raid groups over your lands into zhufbar, costing precious gold at an early stage. Driving them off completely was the best recourse.

You could get +2000 gold and 1 level for your guys every time you click end turn, or you could 'drive them off at an early stage.' I'm having a hard time making an argument for the second over the first. Does the free money and Lord / agent XP they provide bother you?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

As it turns out not everyone is fond of powergamey bullshit.

The guy is asking for strategies as VC not roleplay tips though, right?

The ability to chain sack cities and pop rebellions at will comes up really really early in the campaign. Especially as VC if you take over an uncorrupted province it will rebel every turn. It takes maybe 20 turns before it dawns on you that with the heavy rear end public order penalties and the fact that there's no difference in province output at -100 happy or +100 happy, and that there's no tax slider, all of which are choices CA made for Warhammer...

quote:

Okay, so that leads into my second question - if I want my neighbors to have rebellions I just raid in their land to spread corruption, then? Does corruption spread from proximity to my settlements?

Things that spread corruption to provinces you don't currently own:
Level 2 or higher corruption buildings (they become available at city level 2)
Agents
Lords
Techs

Things that spread corruption in provinces you do own:
Corruption buildings
Agents
Lords
Techs
Events

The techs that spread corruption are in the bottom right of the tree.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

An uncorrupted province will not rebel every turn, don't be ridiculous.

A newly conquered, uncorrupted province will generate over -20 happiness a turn. The VH public order penalty is -8, lack of corruption is -13 iirc, taking over a settlement is-8, tax is 4, rebels clear 20, are you telling me that won't trigger a rebellion? Because it does.

If you put the stack that just conquered it outside the city on raid you can trivially generate -50 to -60 public order as the VC. I found this hilarious.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Only so much that managing a dedicated raid group parked way out east sounds "desperately unfun and not at all the way I like to play this game", but ymmv

It's the province directly south of Castle Drakenhof that the Bloody Spearz take early in the game I'm talking about. It's the province of Oakenhammer. It's within the movement range of whatever forces you might be keeping at Castle Drakenhof, which is also your recruiting province.

It's so hard to move 1 turn south and hit the xp and gold pinata that is sitting right there. Yes indeed it's a dedicated raid group that I am desperately moving over to milk Mt Gunbad. Not just casually strollin down from Drakenhof with my garrison and getting a level.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

Oh sure, if you immediately remove the army that just took the province, don't build any buildings, have an army that somehow doesn't add corruption, continue to tax the province...

Yes, if you want it to rebel it can. If you move the army out of the province to go conquer something else, it will also rebel. Most of the cities I get are at level 1. Level 1 buildings can't build public order, only growth. So, I can have my army sit there 5-6 turns and babysit the province. Or I can have a 10 stack of skeletons with two agents just chain rip the rebels while taxing it, making money, and getting a level a turn.

Have you really played a VC campaign on VH? Like, there's chaos agents that are everywhere giving you -10 unhappy, I'm not making this stuff up.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

I know that discerning between "unfun" and "difficult" is a challenge for you because you are an autistic robot but if you at least read people's posts more carefully you should be able to understand what they are saying.

He doesn't want to do it because it's lame as hell, not because it's hard. Farming settlements for XP in Total War is a thing for lame people or those who desperately want the "Beat Legendary" achievement (also pretty lame).

Do you feel this is constructive or relevant to Warhammer in any way? A guy asked for strategy tips as VC. Perhaps if you disagree with the tips I'm offering you can just offer something else or whatever.

Just calling me an rear end in a top hat for playing the game differently than you, ok, what does that accomplish?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

If it's a lovely level 1 settlement, you should just raze it and resettle.

Yes, and when it's a VC city that's level 1 you still can't build the public order building until it's level 2. If the corruption is like 0-20%, it will generate over 20 unhappiness a turn. You either have to have a stack that can run over every 3-4 turns and deal with the rebels, or a stack that's parked to babysit the city until a certain tipping point.

I'd say 40% corruption seems to be the sweet spot where provinces stop requiring constant attention, at least on VH.

Always up for contradictory screenshots or something. Please conquer a low corruption province anywhere on VH and move the army out of the city after 3-4 turns. Turn the tax off, what's your unhappiness per turn? For me I'm typically at like 20-30 happy with a change of -20 to -30, meaning it will require attention within 6 turns. Even if I upgrade the city to level 2 and build a happiness building, once it hits -100, I will have 'rebel problems' on a regular basis.

I've found that I go through at least one if not two cycles of the above for a newly conquered province. If you choose to go the chain pop rebels route you can get 10 or so off a settlement as the corruption works its way up.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

President Ark posted:

have a couple loose necromancers and vampires generating corruption ahead of your army before you conquer them and research some of the economy/corruption tech, especially the "corruption is contagious from your provinces" tech, maybe even build some level 2-3 banefire (?) braziers in your established cities as they corrupt adjacent provinces

if it's really that huge of a problem just raze the city and don't even bother resettling it immediately, give it a bit to be corrupted and then have a new army settle it when it's convenient

How do people read this as "I'm having a problem spreading corruption."

Do you really feel that was what I was saying in any way shape or form, asking for how to raise corruption on provinces I'm conquering?

The statement I was making was "Provinces with low corruption will rebel quite often, which you can either use to your advantage or not as your Compass of Justice indicates."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know if you are trying to bait people into probations or something but I want to serve a reminder that this is the guy who constantly bitches about everything imaginable and berates people for having the audacity to say that maybe the AI uses cavalry ok. Don't act like you're suddenly an innocent, helpful poster.

Hey is there some way that whatever personal beef you have with me can stay out of the thread? I'd like to post my thoughts on warhammer in response to topics of conversation.

If people don't like how I play or whatever, just put me on loving ignore. This kind of personal callout poo poo, and implying I'm trying to bait people into probations, is ridiculous.

• Locked thread