Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This is Total:war:Hammer. Lots of people talking about hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Kenzie posted:

Why do the skeletons march in such rigid, lockstep formations, while the zombies lurch and stagger around so much? Aren't zombies just skeletons with meat attached to them? :iiam:

Blame Jason and the Argonauts. Ray Harryhausen and the dragons teeth I think.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Bloodpine Woods will NOT trigger if you click to shut up the advisor BEFORE accepting the conclusion of taking the first rebel town. You MUST accept the end of the previous quest before you shut the advisor up.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Which Empire hero can stop enemy chaos armies running circles around me? I don't see an option to stop them moving.

What empire units can do anything against Chaos Missile cav? They either ran away or shoot me to pieces.

Is it worth trying to take Sylvania or should I just raze it?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I think I saw somewhere you can automate troops to have the AI fight using them - something I can see being needed when I get to 40vs40 Chaos battles. Can you do that, and if so, how?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After dozens of attempts I'm finally in the end game as The Empire. Chaos is down to one stack. The Everbore disappeared after someone accused him of unspecified crimes (much like his character. one turn he was there, the next he was gone and I didn't notice what happened).

Notable moments were just before the initial Chaos invasion, the Vikings were playing havoc and seemed unstoppable. Franz was stuck chasing night goblins up and down a valley like a looney tunes cartoon. The 1/4 built army left over from 2 confederations was holding the Kislev border vs 2 full stacks and seemed doomed. When out of the mountains, two 1/3rd sized Dwarf armies ambled up. Here I was thinking it's all over, and they walk up, wipe out the Vikings without any loss, and walk back into the Mountains again, never to be seen again. No doubt saying "Useless manlings" all the way up and down again.

Meanwhile on the western front, a single Empire general is holding on to a city under siege north of Marrenburg. 1.5 Viking stacks outside and not enough inside to do anything about it. From the west comes a Crusade of Brettonians who life the siege, destroy the invaders and chase them all the way back across the sea. Duty done, they head home and play no further part in the Great War against Chaos.

Forutunaly by then,the Empire had Steam Tanks. I'd never got high enough buildings to get them, and I used 2 of them like some small sized artillery to hold one wing. I'd put my neck out to far and the bar was 80% red to win. All seemed doomed...until I saw how powerful Steam Tanks are. The 2 of them took on near an entire Chaos Army single-handed. Franz's current army has 10 of them, and the rest of the army is just there to cover the other 5 cannons anyway.

The game naturally built up a story and climax, with ups and downs, disasters and triumphs, in a ongoing flow that amped up beautifully. . This is normal/normal, and I don't yet know how you can win on anything harder.

I always kept failing early on, and something I've learnt I never saw mentioned when the game came out which seem essential now, which I;'m guessing everyone "just knows" now?
1- Build growth first, not money. I used to build money and growth buildings at the same time. I've found to ignore the money buildings till after all towns are at max level.
2- Build walls as soon as you can, do not wait.
3- I really like how they changed gifting money to 10/20/30 - I never knew how much money to give before.
4- Regiments of Renown can bankrupt you before you can afford to run them.

Brettonia will always siege Marrienburg. You'll get one turn to attack between 2 sieges, or you you'll have to fight Brettonia for it.

A Beastman army will always come through the pass from Lynonesse a few turns in.

The Ork army that used to appear sometimes in Altdorf is gone and never shows up.

The Dwarves usually beat the Greenskins out of the Mountains, making for a very long walk across the Badlands if you want to get Sigmar's hammer. It used to be make the Runefang obsolete the turn I got it, but now it's a bit of a quest to find a Greenskins city to sake for 5 turns. I didn't get it this game.

Post Patch the Wood Elves don't expand much.

Questions on Empire units:
- I can't get the hang of using Outriders, either version. Pistollers can't hurt heavy armour, but they can kite nearly everyone one else and lasted a lot longer in my armies. How and against what units do you use Outriders for? By the time they show up, the enemy has Cavalry on the flanks and they can't get close enough to the infantry in the centre.
- I can't get the hang of Demigryph knights, either version. I can use Reiksguard , but the Demigryph's are too small and die too fast. How and against what units do you use Demigryph's for?
- By the time Greatswords show up, half the enemy infantry is large creatures, they don't seem worth the time to take to build them.
- I lover the idea of Free Companies, but they cost too much :(
- Is there any difference between Reiksguard and Knights of the Blazing Sun?
- Are Mortar's pretty much made completely obsolescent by Helstorm Rockets?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Gejnor posted:

I just had to make this once i realised it fit too well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl0ttRl7BiI

We get a video of a Norseman raiding party being picked off by 4 different predators (Skaven, Lizards, Dark Elves and Amazons), complete with Get to the Longboat!!!! at the end.

Or Orks, running back to their hulk: otherwise known as "Da Choppa".

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 24, 2017

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Didn't The Old Ones also create the Amazons, and left Plasma Pistols and lasguns behind for them to use?

One Ones creates dinosaurs. Chaos destroys One Ones. Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Corrode posted:

OH MY GOD

You can do WHAT!?!?!

Dear CA - please make a more in-depth tutorial for people who have played your games for a decade and never knew these things. I feel like what the first human explorers of Lustria must have felt when they found some of the rules of the universe the Slann had known for centuries.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

tayvaan posted:

Agreed

Naval combat sounds cool in theory but it rarely delivers on the promise and if losing that means more fleshed out core gameplay then I am happy with that exchange.

Just get the guys who did Battlefleet Gothic to do it.

Also get the CA guys who did Alien: Isolation to do a WHFB version.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
For Karl Franz, I have read he loses his own attacks and defence skills if he is on the Griffin. Is this correct? Is he better with his skills on a Pegasus, or without them but being on the Griffin?

How do you tell how far you can go and still encamp? Knowing it's 50% dosn't help when I can tell where that is.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can someone match up the trailer to the music from Predator? I can almost get it, but there's a few seconds off difference.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ze Pollack posted:

Tyrion and Teclis have a bit of fluff backstory that makes them a little neater: once upon a time their great to the nth power grandaddy took up the Sword of Khaine, granting him phenomenal power at the low cost of him and all his descendants being damned to madness and ruin.

Malekith was his kid.

Why did grandaddy take up the Sword of Khaine, and what happened to him?

End times question (spoiler because no one wants to talk about the end times): What happened to Malekith, Tyrion and Teclis in the end times?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ok, so what glories plan that failed was Thanquol's during the End Times god these stories get worse every time I hear a new part of it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So everyone else gets epic send-offs and poor Thanquol dies off-screen, unlamented, unknown and without getting a final word in after being killed by a final incompetent writer and editor.

Everything came perfectly Thanquol, after his luck finally ran out.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How are they going to replicate the Skaven history of winningwinningwinning alltheirplansfail runawayrunaway?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

RentACop posted:

No lie I hope they steal the "Amazons come from pools like lizardmen" bit from those

Was there ever an army list for them? Warrior women with Lasguns and Missile Launchers?

Did they get any mention of the end times? Did Cathy or Nippon?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the Skaven thing about the Tomb Kings?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ze Pollack posted:

behold the Lothern Sea Guard, the High Elven Marines, who have leapt from their ships to defend (or create) colonies on either side of the Great Ocean, the only professional soldiers in the High Elven battle-line. (your average spearman or longbowman is citizens' militia.)

as in real life, the marines have some really stupid ideas about close air support platforms

For some reason I envision every High Elf military procurment order working out like the F35.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Do the Lizardmen play kinda kinda like Rome does? Heavy infantry, light skirmishers on the flanks, heavy artillery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I would spend good money to get Skaven Scribe DLC. I really want to hear what he would say about Archon the Everbland. And every other character.

• Locked thread