Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm keeping the orc camp near Marienburg as the Imperial Military Academy. Newly-minted lords and heroes are sent there to Sack it every turn until they reach a decent level.
They end each turn in Marienburg so troop losses in autoresolve are not an issue, even with a small cheap army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

genericnick posted:

So does reaching the chapter goals speed up the chaos invasion? That could be a downside of Marienburg academy.

It only counts once for chapter goals. They have to be different settlements.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do you get enough cash without conquering at least a few provinces though? You don't even have trade goods to make money that way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My Silver Seal quest seems to have malfunctioned. I did the first part (deploy a witchhunter) but the second part of the quest never fired. The only quest I have on my tab is the one for the Runefang.
Edit: This is a known bug. Anyone been able to do it successfully?

Also, is there any way to improve my odds of getting a Captain? I want my +exp on recruits.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 10, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Go... hire one? A t3 barracks lets you hire one I'm pretty sure.

Wait, so you can.

Between the random event that gave me one (first time I'd randomly gotten a hero) and their flavour text describing them as having 'risen through the ranks' I'd been assuming they were event-only.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm obviously doing something wrong with it, because artillery (any kind of artillery) seems very ineffective to me. I just used three batteries of helstorms against Orcs and they got less kills than my crossbowmen. Cannons, grudgethrowers... it all seems weak compared to missile infantry.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

my dad posted:

Why, a gift from Slaanesh. :v:

Prehensile (redacted)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KnoxZone posted:

I have decided to counter Legendary's bullshit with a lot of bullshit of my own. After taking Marienburg really fast I had Karl spend the next 15 turns constantly sacking that one Orc town next to Marienburg, which boosted his level really high and instantly fulfilled the 'defeat 5 Orc army' quest objectives for Ghal Maraz. Turn 30 and the Emperor has his hammer and the Silver Seal.

How did you get a Witch Hunter that quickly?

Rakthar posted:

There is a separate battle difficulty slider in the options menu bro, how did you conclude it's not a thing?
According to what I've read the slider doesn't work properly. The AI troops still get buffs/penalties depending on your original (campaign) difficulty.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 11, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Well that went badly.

Started an Empire campaign on Hard. As soon as I'd finished with the Secessionists Karl ran off to conquer Marienburg for the income. While he did that orcs razed my starting province.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Von_Doom posted:

A pain in the rear end but was so much fun after learning how to effectively counter the drat horse marauders.
Shitloads of crossbows?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Archonex posted:

You know how some people bitch about magic being lovely at higher unit settings? High Elves are basically an outdated nation that's slowly dying and only really keeps pace due to their downright amazing capability with magic. I'm guessing that's how they'll handle them.

Like, we're talking one of their signature characters just straight up nuked an army off the field in the fluff one time. Then got pissed when humans pointed out that he was kind of a snooty rear end about it and left them to die fighting a war in the mud and dirt like the loving rear end in a top hat he was.

They aren't really numerous and they can't put out crazy stuff like gyrocopters or steam tanks. But they specialize like crazy and occasionally produce some ridiculously powerful and old stuff that no one else really thinks about until it's tearing them up while the elves :smug: all over the place.

Not nearly as good at magic as the Slaan.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone done a breakdown of Empire magic in this game?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Others are Lord-only, others are Hero-only.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are catbirds capable of dying outside autoresolve?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Grimgor has some crazy stats, he can get more weapon damage then even Kholek by a fair amount.

He still doesn't like having five units of handgunners unload into him while he's stuck fighting some greatswords.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Isn't that the province with the good witch hunter unique?

It has a +cavalry unique I believe.
(The building is in Carroburg but you will need to build recruitment structures in Middenheim to take advantage of it)

Actually, is there a list of the unique buildings?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm somewhat suspicious of the fact that my warrior priests' 'preaching' causes a massive increase in childbirths in the province. How do I have them investigated to see if they're actually a Slaaneshi cult?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The enemy had two armies moved as close as possible (almost on top of each other). I attacked one of them and used Lightning Strike, preventing the other from reinforcing.
After autoresolving both enemy armies vanished, even though one of them wasn't fighting.

Is this a bug?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Was one of the armies a waargh attached to the other army? Waarghs disband if the host army is destroyed.

Pretty sure that's it. Thank you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Manny that much more dangerous in melee than a regular Vampire Lord? I thought LLs generally had similar stats to normal lords with just a couple of special skills and their legendary equipment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dragging four priests along with your army to hang out in the same region is kind of amusing. Hit the Encamp button for one turn, all that attrition damage you took vanishes.
Thanks to whoever pointed out the +recuperation skills as being really valuable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bearvalry is just angrier demigryphs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you run early BC with lords only? Have a bunch of solo vampire lords who reinforce each other. 4 lords should make a dent in something, right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't tried it as Empire, but Dwarves can siege well by just lining up a ton of crossbows and depopulating the battlements. Try that?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kitchner posted:

The tactics are the same it's just you'll need more dudes.

WW1.txt

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

rockopete posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Mannfred and the Varghulf. Kill the enemy lords, their army mashes mine due to numbers, and those two still standing and smashing away until the opposition finally disintegrates. Feels a bit cheap after coming from Empire and Dwarfs.

I was having to disengage Glottis every few seconds to run away and charge again, otherwise his leadership plummeted to zero and he disintegrated. Was a bit tedious TBH.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Re: sieges

Do siege towers actually do anything? Seems like they're more of a liability than ladders, considering they'll kill a good third of your unit when they inevitably get destroyed.

If they reach the walls then your actually good units can use them as a staircase to reach the walls very quickly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There are 8 stacks of orcs in my field of view right now. This is going to be interesting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gitro posted:

The raise dead bug can gently caress right off. It's only ten turns but uuuugh, it was all going so well and I'm not far enough in to justify powering on without their awesome global recruitment mechanic. That's 2/3 VC campaigns where it hasn't worked.

What's the quickest way to tell whether a campaign is bugged or unbugged?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Agents are a different matter, though I personally only use Warrior Priests and Witchhunters so you could have your main temple somewhere else.

Captains are great, As well as Exemplar for recruitment, with Patrol Ambusher maxed they can do a useful amount of damage to an enemy army before the battle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Are sorcerer heroes even worth it as part of an army compared to exalted heroes? If yes, what kind.

Death. Life Leech and Fate of Bjuna are the only spells you'll want, and the only spells you'll need.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

a.k.a. the worst lore.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's a pity that the +1 Thane building is tier 4. Makes them much harder to mass than captains.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any way to ask a faction to stop being at war with a third faction? I only seem to be able to ask them to break treaties, not sign treaties.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Come on you short bastards. I will literally pay you to colonise these ruins your former empire.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just want the Under-Empire soon pls.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which spell mod is the goodmod? And does it make even Metal ok?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 20, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do you put Siggy in charge without firing him to the bench for four turns?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dorfs biggest problem on lower difficulties is their lack of a pursuit phase. As Empire most of my kills in any given battle are of fleeing people, as Dwarfs they just get away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ammanas posted:

The entire game has a pursuit phase problem. Cavalry et al does as bad a job at pursuit as they did in Rome. I just quit when end battle appears. gently caress watching horsemen bounce between infantry fleeing for 5 minutes for 3 extra kills.

As Empire I generally find that if a unit is in active melee when the enemy army breaks and continues chasing that unit then it will be brought down to disband levels by the time it makes it off the field.
Cavalry can usually do one unit per unit as well, but they don't have to have already been fighting it.

One thing that can help is intercepting a fleeing unit with cavalry which greatly slows them down, allowing an infantry unit to catch up. Then use the cavalry to intercept another unit.

• Locked thread