Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I just had one of those videogame moments I've read about but never experienced before.

Decided to go ahead and do Ungrim's quest for the Slayer Crown, which is a battle against a blob of VC chaff, basically. I'm really bad for getting overwhelmed on the flanks with Dwarfs and, while the checkerboard held for a remarkable amount of time, cohesion collapsed under the sheer mass of the filthy hordes.

As poo poo begins to deteriorate, two things become apparent -

- Ungrim's band of slayers are doing pretty loving well against two units of Black Knights and dogs, to the point that when they get support from a group of warriors the whole lot crumble around them, with two brave slayers left alive.

- Ungrim Ironfist is going to die, today.

Everything is going badly. Very, very badly. Grudgethrowers have been swarmed by bats and are out of commission, the line is rolling up with no hope of further support anywhere and Dwarfs are dying in embarrassing numbers. The one point of hope is right in the middle of the line, where Ungrim is doggedly slaughtering ghosts, dogs, bats, dead horses, dead humans, their skeletons and anything else that dares come near him. The Vampire Count on his great zombie dragon takes umbridge to this and dives into the line to eat him alive and Ungrim scoffs, cracks him in the face with his axe and the Count breaks, fleeing into the skies. The Slayer King returns to his work.

The vampire returns to the battle at the other end of the massacre and finishes rolling up the line. Ungrim, struggling to break out of the insane cloud of undead around him to give chase, gives up trying to break out and resolves to take as many of the creatures with him as he can before he finally meets his end.

Once the rest of the Dwarf army is beaten, with just Ungrim left on the field outside a few straggling Dwarfs who have survived and rallied somewhere far off, the Vampire Count returns for his prize. Diving headlong into the Dwarf, so busy with all the other foes around him, the end is nigh...

...except Ungrim kills him instantly. With the Count and his dragon slain, the strength of the rest of the unholy horde collapses, they all crumble to dust, and the Slayer King claims his crown.

This is the most :black101: thing I've ever seen happen to me in a videogame.

Ungrim doesn't even have any good gear. No regeneration, potions or anything. He has a banner which causes terror, which is pretty appropriate, considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The AI suiciding into you (on normal, at least) can be kind of frustrating. Going to get into a fight I can't win, so flee right into the enemy heartlands because it's cool -- I'm a legendary lord, so even when I inevitably suffer a total defeat it's totes ok because I literally can't die!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

There's an Orc boss with a single unit of trolls doing this to me with Burrowing turn after turn. I can't quite catch him and also can't get Interception to fire for the loving life of me :argh:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

One of the most amusing/irritating things is watching the AI actively gently caress with you. I don't know whether it's poor AI logic or really good AI logic, but watching a stack hop back and forth between two spots as you try and chase it in circles rather than retreat back to home like its clearly trying to do is really pretty funny.

Is there a way to game underway interceptions or something because christ almighty watching an orc army hop from one side of a mountain to the other for six turns is kind of grating.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I just besieged a Border Princes city and it looked like a quaint English city except every possible mountainous surface had a giant skull carved into it.

Warhammer geography is really weird.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Picked up the Banner of Eternal Flame on my Orc campaign, which apparently imbues fire damage on everyone within 30m of the banner. This sounds... really good? Being fire damage I imagine it ignores armour?

The UI is terrible though so I have legit no idea if its values are up to par or not.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

RNG traits are the stupidest loving thing.

-1 global Public Order for the whole game
-3 leadership and +5% agent success chance

On Grimgor. Seriously?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Doing a little delving into the trigger tables, mostly because I was curious, it would appear at first glance that you have a chance to get Fearful if your Lord doesn't actively participate in a battle. Thanks autoresolve :argh:

The trait table also appears to have been copy and pasted from another Total War game (probably Attilla), since it has references to naval battles, night battles etc

Edit edit: Well, that explains everyone getting Harsh.

It's acquired via general_post_battle_enslave_player_only_not_horde and appears to be a ruler trait, so if Grimgor eats his captives, he gets Harsh

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 14, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So it appears the three agent types for Bretonnia are the Damsel, Lord and Paladin. Not sure if they're active with the playable Bretonnia mod, but that's their listings in the data files

Edit: this is what I get for never pl;aying a custom game. Pickable in customs

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 14, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

It appears there was originally an intent for every faction to have some sort of Lord titling/council system. The council references exist and there's titles for the VC, Greenskins, Dwarfs and Chaos alongside the Empire's set of Arch Lector, Castellan-Engineer etc.

Chaos: Aspirant, Marked One, Champion, Chosen, Exalted
Dwarf: Lode Warden, Reckoner, Ironmaster, Brewmaster, Clan Lord
Greenskins: Lout, Bully, Thug, Brute, Chieftain King
Vampire Counts: Grave Warden, Initiate, Acolyte, Awakened, Red Ascendant

Also don't use the enslave button with your faction leader (maybe at all?) if you don't want that global unrest penalty. This is Dumb and they'll hopefully change it, though people have already started to mod this crap out.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 14, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Just played out the Ghal Maraz battle. Decided it would be awesome to have Karl 1v1 the Orc Warboss in the air at the beginning. Oops.

The Empire had to watch their Emperor flee the field on Deathclaw right over their heads. Fortunately the army doesn't need no jumped up noble to show them how to fight. Guess he gets to wield his poncy warhammer now, though.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

Grudge Thrower

- Decreased recruitment cost

- Increased Accuracy

My favourite thing is now more accurate :allears:

Early game dwarf armies of just warriors, quarrellers and like 4 grudge throwers are so loving fun. Bonus points for orcs getting absolutely wrecked by them.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So I just found out that you can be ambushed while using Underway Stance. Not intercepted - ambushed. This seems... wrong?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Ugh stupid reinforcements bug. Trying to fight Grimgor + a reinforcing town stack in an underground battle when the second stack reinforces in directly behind you is such bullshit. :argh:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Any tips for getting a VH dwarf campaign off the ground? I've got a solid stack that will win most fights it gets in, but I'm feeling trapped in Silver Road. I can take maybe 1 turn in any direction before an orc stack tunnels in from another direction and wrecks my poo poo. Am I basically stuck on the defensive until all my starting stuff has walls?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Kainser posted:

It's far easier to deal with the Greenskins early on, turtling is almost never a good option in this game.

You have the best tier 1 troops in the game as the dwarfs, use them!

The problem I have is the demands of being in 3 places at once. If I go hunting, one of the other two Greenskin factions on my border pushes in with a full stack immediately because they can see where I am. Grimgor confederating the Bloody Spears actually made my life easier because it gave me a brief opportunity to grab Gunbad.

I win any fight I can actually get committed to, but two different Greenskin factions Waaaghing simultaneously (the Scabby Eyes are wrecking face) has me pinned a bit. Taking Gunbad has literally just doubled my income, so hopefully I'm settled now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

VH Dwarf trip report.

gently caress you, Grimgor; I'd like to see you replace that loving doom diver while I'm burning down your world. :smug:

• Locked thread