Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Kanos posted:

These advantages are all true, but you definitely have some problems that other factions don't need to deal with. You have to face the Greenskin factions in numbers no one else ever has to deal with almost immediately; Grimgor will show up almost like clockwork by turn 10-12, and often he has a waaagh with him, meaning a new player is forced almost immediately into fighting against 2:1 odds or more. Strategically, you can't really choke point against greenskins because they'll just burrow under the loving mountains to stab you in the belly.

Meanwhile the Empire and VCs have a super leisurely time for the first 20-30 turns beating up on lovely rebels and fractious Imperial factions that can't really fight back while also having tons of juicy nearby targets to break open like piggy banks.

I'd say, having played everyone except for VC that the Dwarfs can have a really rough time in their early turns, especially if AI Grimgor does well but once they've got a handle on things their campaign is a pretty easy one - the Empire can have a fairly leisurely time early on but its quite easy, especially starting out to get into a situation where you're fighting wars with factions of all the races on all sides of your empire. I suspect this is because the Empire needs a fair bit more management on the Diplomacy screen whereas the Dwarfs start off in a war with Orcs and fighting the Orcs makes all the other Dwarfs like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

madmac posted:

Estalia and Tilea are actually pretty big NPC nations without an major oppressive force keeping them down like Kislev or the Border Princes. I have to wonder what they even get up to in all the games where they don't streamroll the Bretts.

If my Empire games are in any way representative Tilea occasionally gets burned down a bit by Orcs or rear end in a top hat Dwarfs from the mountains or colonises its way east into the Border Princes and then gets into a war with Orcs or rear end in a top hat Dwarfs.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Plan Z posted:

Hands down the maddest I see TW people get (besides over DLC) is if someone prefers the battles over the grand strategy parts.

Which is completely baffling to me as the battles are the thing total war gets really right and not many other games have done well at all whereas the campaign map is so-so and not terribly unique. The best campaigns are the ones which set up cool battles.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

What spells should I be aiming for in multiplayer with a Night Goblin shaman? The AP buff and curse of Da Bad Moon seem obvious, but others seem more circumstantial, like the range and sight debuff only really being effective against Empire/Dwarf gunlines.

In my experience it's strengths are Sneaky Stabbin (make your guys hit harder) and Itchy Nuisance (make their guys hit worse). Combined they let you make solidly mediocre troops able to go toe to toe with much more expensive dudes pretty well.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

High elf lore:

They are pricks.

Thaaaat about covers it. In fairness the current Phoenix King is slightly less of a prick, in that his reaction after "my god, they've gone from a couple of poo poo-stinking mud huts to numberless, even-more-poo poo-stinking stone and wood huts" was "hey you people might be useful as meat shields against chaos, let's do this thing."

It's a bit more that they are pricks.

They try to be nice and do the right thing but almost always end up going about it in absolutely the most prickish ways they possibly could.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

Someone send this to the British government. I think there's an achievement for invading every country on earth, they're almost there!

Please don't give them ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess my question was more like "Who is trading with the murder pirate elves?"

The hell vikings.

• Locked thread