Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there anything that nerds love more than whining about having to spend too much of their paper route money for what they perceive to be too little dlc content? Man the usual crybaby sources for TW are already on fire about NO JABBERSLYTHE 20$ MY CHILDHOOD :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

I've seen a couple of posts along the lines of "that's a bit pricey and it's a shame there's no jabberslythe", is that what passes for entertaining nerd rage these days or did I miss something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4sw91x/complete_statistical_breakdown_of_the_new/

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Beastmen are really fun. I can't wait for wood elves.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Their handling of this DLC also makes me pretty excited about future DLC. They added / improved on mechanics, added a decent roster of fun to play units, and gave a good mini-campaign as well as added new poo poo to the grand campaign. For all the crying people were doing about the cost, if that's what 15$ gets you, I'll buy as many as they put out. I hope they do bigger, "true" expansions, too, but the beastman one has been good and well worth the money

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kainser posted:

Which wood elf unit will be minotaur tier

e; also man I really want a Minotaur lord/legendary lord, screw the beastmen.

Dryads / treemen, waddling in and pasting everything

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Does increased experience not increase damage on missile units anymore? If so when did they change that?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

Experience never boosted missile damage, it boosted rate of fire. The number you see on the unit card is a sort of DPS calculation, so faster firing time = higher unit card damage

Ok but has that been changed? I was recruiting relatively experienced ungors during the veterancy moon phase and the damage on their card wasn't higher. Wasn't sure if that was a quirk to them or if it's the same for all missile units now.

High veterancy quarrelers are a hilarious lawn mower I'd be sad to see gone

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Bret / wood elf simultaneous minicampaign would make me really happy

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
are mortars better / stronger now?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
a whole army of beards was willing to pay 10 bucks a piece for lovely little metal (or plastic) guys in the shapes of fantasy warriors, hundreds of which you would have to own to play a lovely game with other fat sweaty nerds, but any discussion of tww can't go thirty seconds without someone menstruating over "15$ dlc I can't afford that on my allowance:( :( :("

just don't buy it then or wait for a steam sale in 7 years who cares

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
phone posting

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Some hints dropped about the new dlc there but I don't know enough about the game universe to get them... What's the not fit to speak his name thing about

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
So what mods are people using / what are the "must have" mods for great campaign? The workshop organizes them in really the most idiotic way possible and buries pretty good mods

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

cool thanks for smearing poop all over the thread, we had a shortage of dlc whining poop here, please scoop up more hot steaming poo poo authored by actual retards made on bad forums and deliver it directly to us for inspection

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there some hidden feature about halberds that make them particularly effective? I know they have a slower swing time, but with honest steel and some exp theyre still hilariously effective, even more so than their visible stats would suggest

I end up just using a blend of halberds and swordsmen as my core units even in the uber late game because halberds just rip everything up, I find them generally more effective than greatswords against basically every unit. They're pretty durable too except for getting shot, and obviously gently caress up large units.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Nash posted:

I want war dancers to be awesome. If nothing else I want my LSD forest dance ninjas.

Too bad they'll probably be garbo units in the vein of flagellants / slayers

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What quality of life / basic mods are people playing with on the great campaign right now?

Playing v hard / legendary on no aggressive agents, no great power penalty, improved loading screens, better camera mod, prometheus' better traits. May try extra skill points / level unlocker and all settlements having walls next run through. Any other mods that people recommend?

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 23, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
it may be part of the game but it's a stupid non sensical chore. I get bigger by expanding north and fighting chaos and my established trading partners and long time allies that I have never and will never be aggressive against on the literal other side of the map stop liking me altogether? all at once for no reason just based on how many towns I take, while razing the entire world to the ground is fine ? great mechanic

having your walls destroyed and characters killed by a never ending swarm of level 20+ goblin big bosses is part of the game too but gently caress if it's not basically the first thing that was modded out and will continue to be until they figure out a way to make it an enjoyable and challenging part of the game and not a kick to the balls

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
They're poorly balanced and thought out on the world map level and I hope they get totally overhauled eventually.

"Ah yes, let me deploy my agents to decrease public order in an enemy settlement or channel the winds of magic" - no one ever

Half of their abilities are way too good, the other have marginal / no use at all

They're fun and ok generally in battles

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a way to ground target with artillery?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Cool thanks.

Also the Sunmaker is pretty good artillery with the unfortunate side effect of shooting your own units in the back and causing disastrous losses unless carefully microed.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
A lot of the late game slowdown owes to the strength of defensive structures. Once you grab a couple provinces and wall them up, your chances of losing basically disappear. I've won against 2-3 stacks with a basic garrison and a lord / some swordsmen - the ai is so bad at sieges that there is never really any risk of losing any built up or defended territory.

Malagors start is pretty tough on v hard now that lore of the wild is not so good. It's hide and escape and survive until you can get somewhere to sack enough to get your "economy" going

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 3, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah that's another pacing issue - teching up. I've yet to reach the end of a research tree in a campaign, and usually play like 5/6ths of the campaign with the same units you start the game with. Agents don't really even come online for the player until you're close to the tipping point always.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, like this:

:orks101:

cool good & interesting posts about total warhammer. thanks for sharing

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Starting with a suite of agents rules.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've got weird graphical glitches by alt -tabbing sometimes too

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

RentACop posted:

Kislev Estalia, Tilea, Araby, and to a lesser extent the border princes should at least all get some re skinned units for flavor purposes but it's got to be hard to justify adding units for an unplayable, especially when all they've got are some descriptions in the lore an odd dog of war unit and maybe some white dwarf articles (like the non-chaos, non-empire space Marine chapters)

Maybe this new dlc is signaling some stuff opening up though, we'll see

Kislev sure, especially given the focus of the campaign usually ends up north just because of the nature of the win conditions. But how often do people really end up dealing with Estalia or Tilea in games? They're pretty out of the way for most of the playable races right now.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Oh no, they'll "ambush" me in a fight I'm almost always willing to take, and when I win, it wipes them out to the last man without having to deal with a follow up fight / benny hill chase. This is a "drawback" to that mode of travel.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm going to tunnel past this chaos horde. Sure hope they don't ambush me and end up dropped into a map that's literally a long straight line with entirely unobstructed sight lines just wide enough to be entirely blocked off by my front line troops.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Best thing about Bloody Handz- higher tier savage orcs are easy to recruit. And hilariously effective.

Also the Crooked Moon / Ghost dwarf starts are pretty challenging. it really is a rush to get to 8 peaks so you get dick punched by the garrison

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The ghost dads cause terror so I use the thanes to rear charge orcs where possible and it kind of works.

Also Brettonian factions allying with the crooked moon to attack you loving sucks and seems to happen more often than you'd think appropriate. inot one game it generated a grudge that wanted me to kill 3 brettonian armies that I couldn't find time to clear that together with the 8 peaks grudge tanked my public order over time

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Skulkers who can get a rear charge off and start "winning" combat have to be pound for pound some of the most effective units in the game. I've had skulker units with 150+ dwarf kills. Black orcs or boar boyz don't even usually do that well.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Heading south and treating the Bretonnia / Tilea area as a big money pinata works pretty well. The problem with not expanding into other empire lands at all is that, if you're not there by the time Chaos shows up, it'll all get burned down.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

ubercrunchy posted:

The answer to almost every dwarfen problem is the same: more crossbows.

On the DLC bug front, I've had a couple weird ones in addition to what people have already mentioned.

Skarsnik doesn't seem to get the full benefit of level 2 Guard towers. I've had several battles where there should be multiple units of trolls present but only one shows up. I've also had a walled settlement go to a field battle as soon as the enemy attacks, no siege needed.

The other weird one is Belegar's entire army getting vanguard deployment when I intercept in the underway, and for a few turns after.

the skarsnik thing is not a bug. he gets different garrison troops

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
they should just be able to occupy anywhere there's enough trees regardless of regions' race, get a campaign movement mode for treed areas, and get bug bonuses for fighting in treed campaign areas

really looking forward to welfs

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
settlements with a modified waagh/horde mechanic to reflect the wild hunt. one of your generals intermittently gets turned into a horde with big bonuses but you have to keep fighting or he disappears until next wild hunt time

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Deified Data posted:

:siren:Durthu's army suffer no attrition:siren:

I can definitely see people having fun with this.

have the all marauder horsemen norscans finally met their match?

(I'm going to kill them all)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is the Angrand campaign actually winnable on higher difficulties? gently caress is it annoying.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I had full stacks of mutinous gits migrating over at like turn 20 to take stuff as I was trying to build an economic base and fight off bullshit attacks from Tilea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Diplomacy is so loving opaque. I was +70 with Tilea for 20 turns and they don't want anything, all diplomatic options are red. I give them 1k, they now want to trade and go non aggression. sure, whatever.

I started Angrand again and focused on diplomatic / civil techs and expanded slowly / cautiously. I've actually got some trading partners and a solid base, although the calculation of trade routes still makes no loving sense, and with walls am able to hold off random full stacks of mutinous gits while beregal is away burning the badlands. it's tough but fun

• Locked thread