Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just got a 101 turn long victory as vampire counts as a heinrich start, some thoughts.

• Blood knights are crazy good at beating every other cavalry and also every monster you send them at, only had 5 tops but they did well against chaos.
  • Rushing for moneymancers and growing capitals to T4/T5 so you can get the vampire and necro buildings is a necessity, they aren't the worst to save up for with construction discounts and with all the multipliers at work the income they generate can support a stack or two.
  • Vamps have crazy good heroes and the lords get a skill that let's them recruit a extra vampire, get swarms of heroes and leave the banshee buildings up at places you conquer.
  • You can turtle in Slyvania with a vassal or two for as long as you want really and just explode out whenever you have a elite main army ready to go, which doesn't take long with the low requirements to start producing graveguards and vargheist, I wiped out the empire by turn 50 and had altdorf, but you could really just sit in slyvania until turn 100 or pick a different direction to go.
  • Extra vamp lords with swarms of zombies and skeletons with maybe one or two strong troops mixed in make for great reinforcement and rebel quelling armies.
  • The book of blood is by far the strongest portion of the tech tree, I'd love to pick up some of the skeleton and zombie buffs or 10% campaign movement in tireless hordes, but everything just takes too long to research and is split up into too many small bonuses, the book of blood improves your economy and heroes and really that is all you need.
  • Love the current patches auto resolve improvements so your monsters won't go to 1 HP fighting a militia, spreads out the damage now.
  • Keep a eye out for the skeletal hand marker on provinces showing a better raise dead pool, those were the majority of my recruiting and always nice to pick up a terrorgheist or a bunch of graveguards, or even just 20 zombies and skeletons for a backup lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't been able to pick up much in the way of multipliers. Just the +15% on necromancers / banshees.
(Not like my Empire game where my captains all got Burgomaster and hung out in Reikland massively buffing that province_

I think the capital building improves the income from buildings in the province and in adjacent provinces by up to 50% or around there, so those multipliers can add up on 500-1000 per turn buildings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've never been able to get a faction to become my vassal in diplomacy via brute force, and can't subjugate other races, whats the trick? killing every single army, sacking the capital and then sieging or what?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A heavy focus on cash generating buildings and taking down rebels, I almost always ransom enemies, early on I'll get the leadership bonus for murdering the captives but you only need to do that once every 8 turns.

Try to let rebels grow to their maximum size, every turn they grow they take 20 more unrest out of the province and a little more money you get for beating them up.

By the end I had so many lords and agents I had trouble getting enough armor and weapons to put on them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I find anything north of the river by Wurtbad and Altdorf a bit of a pain to defend that needs constant nearby armies and/or massive walls to hold anything north of those.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Christ, Throgrim's armour quest is such a goddamn pain. We tried it in coop a few times with a normal army because the game gave us 60-40 odds, and it never worked out. Even when we took a completely dedicated one-track gimmick army full of slayers and trollhammers it was still incredibly close, despite a 90-10 win chance estimation.

On the upside, though, that battle really raised my estimation of trollhammers. Those guys just utterly melt giants, even the cannons can't keep up with that.

Hit insert with a cannon selected, manually shoot at the approaching giants, watch them stagger and take a beating and die in under 10 hits

Checkerboard your line so the ranged can keep shooting, the trolls and giants are big targets and the trolls will route quickly with any focus fire at all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

The giants weren't the problem, really, just the masses of trolls and the orc bosses. Basically the trolls kept handily beating up the frontline and usually didn't die before the next waves came in. In the end the melee infantry (Longbeards, at the time) were ground down in extended melees, while some of the later troll waves just slipped around the already engaged melee dorfs and beat up the ranged line.

For what it's worth we were playing on Very Hard, so perhaps the Trolls not being quite as break-happy as usual made it more difficult?

I did the same battle on very hard, maybe the latest patch made trolls better, but with a 50% melee/50% ranged/art army and a buff focused lord I could just send 2 or 3 quaellers to focus trolls and after 5 seconds they would route from damage sustained, without the ranged fire the melee would take a lot of damage and can't do much to trolls themselves.

Mostly just sounds like a problem of a lack of focusing the ranged on the right targets or melee not checkerboard formation for better ranged coverage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know how people are having trouble with the greenskin campaign or their troops, they were by far the easiest campaign for me even with a lovely azhag start, might just suit my playstyle of constant conquest and war, maybe there are people who play them and turtle up and never get a waaargh together?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Did you play on VH/VH, VH/H or what? In harder difficulties they do feel a little soft but that can be mitigated by tactics

I've always played total war games on VH/VH because the AI always needs all the help it can get.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A tip for those struggling with rebels, always take the province capital as quickly as possible, rebels will always spawn at the capital if you own it, otherwise they will spawn in some backwater town and immediately attack because it has no walls, the walls in the main city will keep the rebels busy for multiple turns.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd like to see some of the minor factions fleshed out a bit so it isn't just a vast chunk of Empire everywhere, Kislev and the various border prince factions have potential to be unique

Probably won't be done officially since they would have to come up with legendary lords and quests, but the modders will come up with something and the more expansions the more resources they'll have to work with.

I know there is a mod for the border princes to turn them into a venice/mercenary army and russians are working on kislev and modders put in the effort to make the bret vampire faction use bret themed zombies and undead without effecting the other undead factions, which is a nice touch they should really do officially.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They need to add a button to let air units stay grounded, I don't need that terrorgheist to fly back up and land 10 feet short of retreating goblins, or having a small amount of flying units get swarmed by multiple flyers while my giant army watches underneath.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If your dwarf, keep a eye out for a general who has the -construction cost trait, hire him for the big projects like the goldmines and brightstone mine and then disband him the same turn.

He'll stay in the pool of generals you can hire the rest of the game for 0 cost.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Timboslice posted:

Great, thanks for that!

I also don't really know how 'fast' I should be playing, It feels like some turns I just look at my base, check for updates upgrades and make a turn without really doing anything. Should I always be out moving an army? Am i aiming to win by turn 100?

Vampires are probably your best bet for a slow and steady approach, they love tier 4+ capitals and agent buildings and letting the corruption do some work.

You could sit in your eastern and western starting area and sack nearby dwarves for awhile, building up to graveguards for a hefty anvil and your choice of giant fast unit for the hammer and have them followed around by a extra army of skeletons and zombies.
Just look for land that looks nice and rich and easily overwhelmed and turtle up spreading corruption nearby with techs and buildings and heroes.

Myself, I play the campaigns on very hard and tend to win by turn 100-120, but I expand aggressively and have armies running laps fighting all the rebellions that pop up and crushing all those rebels gives you a decent supply of retainers/magic items/occasional bursts of gold from ransom and post battle rewards.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 13, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Still a tad on the high end for some infinitely reproducible 1's and 0's in the video game genre and not the overly expensive chunk of plastic genre.

I'll probably pick up the DLC in a big discounted pack instead of getting one half finished race at a time for 18$ a piece.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

PoultryHammock posted:

Yeah, I have to agree. At this point, this is the only game I've gotten at release price on steam in around 2-3 years, and the only one I've sunk enough time in, to really say it was worth the cost. That said, for as much as I really enjoy the base game, for almost 20$ I expect something a bit more significant than just another race, and a mini campaign doesn't really mean anything to me. I'll probably just pick up the next bundle that goes on sale next year at this time.

Yeah, I've played this one a lot, even replayed some campaigns, but I'd rather wait and get everything in a neat bundle after all the DLC and FLC have completed the races a bit more and they finish adding missing units.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the second chaos invasion is also set to trigger if your really far ahead, they usually show up around turn 60-70 for me.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
using raise dead to bring some zombies or skeletons behind a blob of infantry can already cause quick routes, I wonder how fast a giant smashing the rear with a rock will cause a route or if it's stats are bad and it just dies to any archers immediately.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

The Cygor is more of a walking catapult.

I'm not quite sure CA is going to go to the extra effort to make it a ranged unit and I'm pretty sure it's just going to swing the rock around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even if the clipping stays, which it will, it shouldn't matter except for people who take the time to zoom in and jerk off over their army mens.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm impressed it does act like artillery, when people were describing the hellcannon I was expecting a remodeled war elephant that could shoot fireballs and occasionally go berserk in the back of the army, instead of just a remodeled cannon with a unbreakable crew of dorfs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just triggered the earliest Archaeon invasion I've ever had, turn 41 as Orcs and I took over the entirety of the badlands and most of the northern holds and I captured and sacked enough that Archaeon and his bird pal showed up already, Waarghs really speed things up.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 19, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Block army really does work wonders against the big Chaos invasion since they end up separated.

The greenskin campaign taught me that garrisons can levelup and keep experience, so so many rebellions to deal with early on.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Couple things I noticed from that.

Four choice darkmoon event is nice but the choices are nowhere near balanced with eachother, the murder of crows penalty of -10% archer ammo for 2 turns is nowhere near the downside of every army starting as tired in battle for 4 turns.

The building chain that reduces upkeep but also reduces horde growth seems like a bad trade-off considering how much sacking gold you get and should probably only be built as the final building after you got everything else and don't need growth anymore.

-5% research rate for every tech researched is a pretty neat mechanic, but they have never been great at balancing these sorts of things so I'm sure the tech that makes your strongest unit 20% stronger is going to be on the same cost as getting +10% speed on warhounds, so there will be things you'll always want to beeline for and others to ignore completely which I could already see in the little preview.

The faction leader's final item quest is for armor with +10 armor 20% magic resist, you can find common items with better defensive stats then that.

No march stance which means I hope they are removing march from the other factions too.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 19, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

About to start the Vampire Counts campaign (Hard) after beating all the others. Do you guys have any general advice for VC?

What should I focus on research wise, is it worth putting some turns into making my skeletons and zombies suck less, or should i start right off on the tree that gives me growth and corruption and more money? Which of Mannfred's skills should I invest into, is it worth going into death at all (maybe two points for map wide bonus)? Finally, who should i focus on in diplomacy, is it better to try and ally with bloody spears and take down zhufbar after uniting my provinces, or should i try to ally Zhufbar, or even vassalize them (cant they still be confederated)?

Any advice/ support here would be very appreciated. I really liked dwarf campaign and empire so far. Greenskins and chaos turned into a bit of a slog, I thought Greenskins felt a bit weak especially late game.

First off, play on very hard.

Second, start the first turn by recruiting a second lord, recruiting skeletons on him and raising dead on your main army to fight the enemy army and building a goldmine in your capital.

Crush that army, it will retreat towards templehof, raise more dead in the next province, chase it down and fight the garrison on the open field for a easy settlement.

Take the rest of eastern sylvania and get the free necromancer from the quest while up there and use him to help reduce building costs in your capital and nearby cities.

In western sylvania the rebels will be down to their last city in fort observe, when you beat them subjugate them and use them as a free "waargh" you can order to stomp out rebellions and deal with minor factions trying to sneak past your cities, finish up western slyvania by subjugating the green vampires, being able to force someone to trade with you and keep a standing army is worth more then a couple minor settlements.

If you started Kemmler you'll already have Mannfred unlocked by around turn 5 after taking and subjugating all of sylvania.

Focus entirely on the Lahmian book that focuses on economy and agents, almost the entire tech tree is great besides the black coach upgrades, upgrades to your trash units aren't needed because they are just there to be trash for your heavy hitters and to be spooky and you can always raise dead a dozen more after a battle so what do you care if half of them get wiped out, after Lahmian there is a 10% campaign movement tech called tireless hordes which is pretty good though, but it's time consuming to reach.

When your capitals reach tier 4 get a necromancer over there to reduce costs and start building both a vampire crypt and necromancer tower, you'll need at least one vampire crypt to start recruiting them if you picked up the +1 vampire hero passive in the blue line on lords.

I liked having a elite army followed around by 1-2 lords filled with skeletons zombies and a couple vargheist, I probably had around 10 lords farting around by the time I took over brettonia in time for the final chaos horde to show up, it really helps having a lord dedicated to squashing rebellions in a freshly taken over region, your vassals can deal with rebellions near them.

After you take over the eastern and western sides in the first few turns your free to go in any direction you want and be as passive or aggressive or passive aggressive as you want to your neighbors.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

Ah thank you so much for this, it's really helpful. Do you prefer to ally with the bloody spears or vassalize Zhufbar?

I could never manage to get other factions in a weak enough state to accept vassalage before the main faction confederated them, subjugating the other two vampire factions is enough to hold down your home province while you take over the world though.

I think kemmler might be a better starting hero then mannfred because of how fast you unlock mannfred and the raise dead discount is nice since it would end up being the majority of my recruits.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

I'm gonna have to guess poo poo tier. They'll inherit the problem of Chaos - unit costs are set to adjust for horde mode recruitment/sacking based income. But this means their units are too expensive for their stats in multiplayer.

I got the same feeling, they will probably not be priced right for multiplayer and have high costs units that are supposed to have low per-turn cost.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Once you get a leveled lord and a full army of chosen with other top tier troops, the AI will always just run away from you forever because it will never take a fight it can't win and it will never win a fight against gold chevron chosen with their armies full of basic troops.

So you'll constantly just be sieging while the armies run from you, last 60 turns of my chaos campaign was just auto resolving sieges.

The last 20 turns of the chaos campaign was chasing a 1 HP empire lord as he sailed to the north of the map.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With orcs, stick goblins at the front of the army and the towers will focus them and their shields instead of something more valuable.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All the beastman previews and I don't see anything that would stop you from making a massive horde and just auto resolving to victory with 4+ hordes stacked together and doing whatever with the free waargh stacks.

Who cares if your income tanks so long as the sacking keeps you afloat between reaching new cities to sack?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 21, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I really don't remember using auto resolve in rome 1 and medieval 2 quite as much, or at the very least manually fighting would always be preferred to auto resolving to keep the death counts low on evenly matched fights.

It can be impossible to keep the death counts as low in a manual battle as auto resolve gives you most of the time.

Especially if it's multi-stack battles and your reinforcements aren't coming from the right direction or you can't get all of your reinforcements to fight at the same time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
VC were my favorite faction and most replayed because of all the different routes you can take, Corruption happiness penalty isn't really a penalty when you just crush the rebellions for money and loot and extra corpses, just make sure you let the rebellions fully stack up and don't just crush them at 80 unrest when they pop up because they are just going to reappear the next turn.

No ranged units in total war makes for a interesting playstyle of swarming and engulfing enemy armies and crushing the morale and raise dead to create and move armies on the same turn is absurdly strong in total war, it's sorta like the mercenary recruitment in previous games, but much, much cheaper with easier replenishment.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I believe in previous games the reinforcing army to a siege would appear at the edge of the map and have to sprint through the back gate.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Empire feels hella hard on the harder settings because everyone is using the same stuff as you, but just gets stat bonuses so you can't beat them until your lord(s) are ranked up to maxed out honest steel and other good traits.

I had to restart a whole bunch and get lucky with Marienburg taking over half of bretonnia and spreading itself thin while I took some north settlements but there is probably a better way to do it then RNG faction relation luck or going north, I could of easily lost at any early point if the other factions dogpiled me as they are want to do.

Least a dozen restarts where marienburg and it's huge income supported stacks raid while the dwarves declare war at the same time tunneling into my nearest cities while the north declares and has a army waiting for my capital to be undefended.

My advice is to get a extra lord or two early and have them follow around to leech experience so they can lead their own armies when you got the income for it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 25, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The only thing I remember of this dumb show was when they were talking with one of the designers and the conversation went along the lines of "We strive for historical accuracy, which is why someone with a sword hits for 4 and a axe hits for 5"

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 26, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's weird how they saw fate of bjuna, realized it was too powerful and then next patch made devolve the way it is.

I think people find the magic more enjoyable when it's based on your positioning or requires something to take advantage of the temporary weakness, it's not all that fun when it's a point and click debuff that obliterates your elite units and it's spammable.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 31, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is that going to include stuff like Sigvalds armor?

It's a good change to make though so long as it isn't invisible to gauge if a heal spell will do anything or not, hero's could get a little silly, especially vamp heroes with the heal spells.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a bit disappointing that I need the DLC for the changes to existing units like necromancers apparently having a corpse cart to ride around on.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Did it take time + labor to make the new things? Yes. It cost CA money to produce, why should it be free to use.

Are people going to bitch about additional content costing money for every DLC release we get? Cuz there's going to be a lot of DLC !

The necromancer lord is a vanilla unit and it's been lacking a identity to give any reason to take it over a much, much better vampire lord, finally fixing it and giving it something unique as a reason to take it over a vampire lord but setting it behind paid DLC just rubs me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I prefer the expansion model myself, but I'm just going to look at the DLC as paying for a early access expansion, and 1-2 years down the line when a fully fleshed out expansion would come out I can buy up all the DLC I want during a sale at around expansion level prices.

The games looking a little wonky at the moment with the crazy skills of the new lords while half the factions don't have anything new added to them or anything that can compare to the new lords bonker skills.

Just try and compare Azhag and the hoops you got to jump through to get his nerfed death magic with any of the new lords.

• Locked thread