Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On the other hand a massive amount of strong shielded spearmen from elves with supporting archers and cavalry can be a pain for bretonnia to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh. Well good job ruining your own surprise CA!

Eh, savvy people have caught on they are adding RoR for the other factions for weeks now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've found it to be incredibly helpful to give neighbors I'd like to befriend gifts of 500ish gold until I get get none-aggression pacts and trade deals to improve relations over time.

I never found diplomacy very helpful in previous total war games since they would eventually backstab you regardless of what you did, but you can manage things decently well in warhammer with just small gold gifts.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Archonex posted:

Oh my god. Sigvald's Mirror Guard is in.

If he doesn't start with them there is a dire crime at hand that modding must fix.

The units are neat though. It's not like Radious where they homogenized every faction. The new units just open up new strategies that weren't there before, or balance out largely decried issues with a given faction.

The only homogenous thing I noticed was the "hero" units which adds at least one unit to every faction that is like 9 or so troops in a unit. They're basically what would happen if a bunch of heroes of their faction got together and curb stomp some assholes/good guys and it's pretty awesome. Never mind the fact that they open up new strategies if you can field them.

They kind of remind me of that Bretonnia Glory mod that added in a group of ragtag heroes called "The Companions". It was nothing but a 6ish soldier large expy of the Fellowship from the Lord of the Rings sans the halflings right down to having Gandalf as one of the possible troops from the Lord of the Rings.

I feel like most of the new units fit, but those 9 man heroish units stand out, basically the blood knights on foot are the only thing I see as too strong since vampires usually a little weak on the infantry front and rely on big targets of monsters or their lords to do the heavy lifting, having a small group that can disappear back into a cluster of zombies and skeletons and get heals spammed their way is on the strong side.

But that said, they come out so late you probably won't see them in the campaign.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I strongly suspect with the patch coming up they are going to rework old lords or at least starting armies and probably some changes for chaos with all norsca is getting.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sigvald start with his mirror guard, or the slaughterer starting with a better unit then 2 goblins and a biggun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

Has anyone gotten SFO to play nice with that GCCM map pack? My game crashes on load with just those two mods active, but loads fine if only one of them are on.

Works fine for me, for another friend he has a problem where SFO and faction unlocker will crash every time despite us using the same mod setup.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like weakness to fire on most units is such a minor penalty as to not really be worth taking advantage of, although if it also ignores any physical resistance the unit has then it might be handy for dealing with kitted out lords and treekin.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

Speaking of Thanqual, its pretty bullshit that we still lack Gotrek(and his shared character model Felix). A legendary heroes pack would be an insta buy for me.

There is a mod that adds them already.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Regiments of Renown: 10 cooldown period after the RoR has been killed or disbanded before they can be recruited again

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Since there is already a tomb kings mod on the steamworkshop, what are the odds it will be as simple to get them going in the campaign as quickly as just adding tomb-kingy themed buildings that give them recruitment of the mod units?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Skaven being able to settle anywhere and have them be stealth cities disguised as ruins seems pretty fitting and simple solution, there has never been a turn-based campaign map with a second underground layer that hasn't been terrible in any game it's been in.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Grumio posted:

Embargo is up, Skaven footage is starting to be released

Campaign gameplay form Eurogamer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-bL1qeSqQ

Skaven vs Lizardmen quest battle from some youtuber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAeioa7-5no

Clan mors gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXtn_cpUQdQ

thoughts:

-Queek's VA is great, he sounds unhinged

-oh god the animation on the Hell Pit Abomination is so gross

-Before you enter battle you can see how many 'charges' of Menace Below you have, and spend food to increase them

Heres my takeaway from looking at the videos.

The clanrats you summon out of the ground have the summon unbinding effect.

The doomwheel just seems to be a 1 unit chariot with attack animations that probably helps it push through a mass.

The flamethrowers were obstructed by friendly units :(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ammanas posted:

The Grand Campaign almost certainly won't simply be the map from game 1 and the map from game 2 combined. Things will get cut, truncated to simplify the AI and turn speed. Like Reikland will be 2 provinces instead of 4, etc.

I imagine Reikland would still be 4 or 3 provinces, but sylvania would probably be a single 4 province area instead of divided into east and west and a lot of filler areas would have cities cut and minor factions removed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I actually kinda like the vanilla warhammer maps, the AI can handle them, they just could use more eyecandy and scenery that doesn't effect gameplay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With Norsca, can the God's favor go below the 30/60/100 point thresholds? or would I want to focus on a new bonus after reaching the 30 pointer?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

madmac posted:

Ah dammit, now you're forcing me to do an effortpost about possible Tilea/Dogs of War characters.

I like knowing more about the background of these random characters and appreciate your posts, I think you might like the border prince mod since it adds quite a few of those named lords to the factions.

Also, I saw the name Marco Colombo and went... really? They had to name a fake explorer and just slapped Marco Polo and Columbus together and called it a day?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know why people keep saying to spread corruption before you invade anywhere, if you can't besiege a town within a turn of your borders with them just set up in raid stance if you want to avoid a turn of attrition, swarm the world with a unstoppable horde of trash units surrounding a handful of unkillable super combatants backed by the best healing magic.

Also in the campaign, lords as almost every faction are really strong and can beat up quite a few early units before getting exhausted, it doesn't hurt to have some solo lords follow your main army around to soak up experience and help deal with enemy lords, goes double for vampires who are practically a army by themselves and bring some more magic to the table.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 30, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So I'm playing a modded game right now, and I think I've figured out the -best- setup for a modded vanilla game. I've done two games now, and both have been incredible. Easily the best two experiences I've ever had with Total War.

I like when people recommend mods to try out, I like the sound of that advanced AI mod, really wanted a mod that made the AI skill it's lords correctly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

rockopete posted:

How much of a hammer, as in hammer and anvil, should Bretonnian armies have in campaign? I like the thundering charges but it can be a pain to split attention and micro, even with J.

In the campaign it doesn't really matter, you can have a full army of cavalry with 1 treb to force the enemy to move to you and break walls and with how many cavalry bonuses you can stack up you'll just run over any army on impact.

Just throw a big bag of hammers at the other guys.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

I can see why people use the AI mods, which is a tad disappointing. My Norsca campaign, after a slow start, turned into a steamroll around Turn 100. I don't defend any of my settlements, my opponents never rebuild theirs or make any considered push to attack my two stacks when I leave them vulnerable raiding their territories, and there's just a sense of inevitability early on in the campaign that makes me question what the point would be in pressing onward for another 10 hours and 200 turns just to wipe everyone out.

Granted, I'm playing on Normal, but my understanding is that the AI doesn't improve at higher difficulties, it just gets the standard plusses in combat and economy that most games toss at their AI players when you ramp up difficulty.

Is this generally the case without an AI mod or have I just had a particularly lucky run? The only thing that stopped my earlier VC campaign was Chaos coming down and stomping across my cities when I wasn't particularly well-prepared for how early and hard they'd throw themselves at me.

Yeah, don't play on normal and complain about the experience being too easy, that difficulty setting is for people who want to win regardless of anything they do.

Just get used to playing on very hard in every total war game for a mild challenge since the AI will have superior troops statwise early on and not be crippled as bad by it's 2 city economy with bad building choices.

Also consider a AI mod on the workshop.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I skipped javelin throwers for archers as soon as possible in previous total wars, but they are rather effective in a game where most of the enemies are elephant sized or larger.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you can just take over Marienburg early by skulking around until they move their army out to fight bretonnia you can use the income generated to bribe half of the empire into slowly liking you and confederating when they lose a battle with their enemies.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Watching the CA streamers use the heavens breath spell against the Skaven was amazing. Did they buff magic? It basically wiped several units of slaves in an instant, and the only spell I've seen that can do that in the first game is Winds of Death.

Without having seen the stream or anything, I'm just gonna guess it's because skaven and high elf units are low HP, say you used a AOE spell that did 50 damage to everything, a human might have 60 HP before it fell over and a skaven might have 40, the skaven will die from the spell but the other guys will keep fighting until a stiff breeze hits them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like the climate idea, why can't my skeletons spook up a mountain? what do they care if it stinks of beards and beer?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
alternative point: gently caress the woodelves, their armies get stupid strong from outposts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will probably need some AI mods close to release of WH2 to stop the AI avoiding battle behavior.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ResourcefulSecretiveWallabyBloodTrail

• Locked thread