Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Xae posted:

Yes.

Sack the Nordic cities. They have stupidly good economies in the early game. If you conquer the north and Loot -> Raze/Awaken you should hit the mainland with 6 figures of bank.

Can someone go back over the reasoning behind recruiting a second horde in the first couple of turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Okay, and I remember seeing tips about tearing out the marauder camp ASAP, should I be trying to tech for poison dogs and filling out my early stacks with them, or just focus on smashing people with my starting army?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

If there is a Kislev DLC then it should be a mini campaign where it's End Times from turn 1 and your only objective is to survive as long as possible against larger and larger waves of Chaos.

Protips for Kislev Survival:

1.) Make like the AI and bumrush Bearsonling's Camp.
2.) Preserve Kraka Drak at all costs.
3.) Take Attrition-reducing blue-skills ASAP.

The Kislev faction unlocker starts fun but I'm not sure if you can ever trip the start conditions for the End Times, so eventually it becomes the world's most boring game of whack-a-mole where you ambush the forces of Chaos every 4 turns. I managed to get to turn 110 with zero sign of Archaon.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

NT Plus posted:

My Greenskin campaign got pretty silly. I decimated the Dwarfs and allowed the southern Savage Orcs to thrive. But they're kind of my buddies who ask for an occasional handout now so it's whatever (until Bretonnia murders / gets murdered by them). I'm pretty much at a stalemate with the Vampos while trying to fend off Chaos forces in my northern region. I'm honestly kind of uneasy about the Top Knotz deciding they don't need me anymore because they have several stacks on the loose and I have no idea how to build effective orc armies .. Even though I have basically every unit unlocked. :v:

Well Orcs are one of the more versatile rosters out right now, which translates to "you need different armies for each opponent". A couple tips;

• Against the VC you want Black Orcs and Savage Orcs. A ton of VC units cause fear which hurts even worse with your lovely morale. Savage Orc Big 'uns and Black Orcs tend to get stuck in quick and fight till the end, so they are happy to fight the creepy crawlies. Wolf Riders are premiere skirmishers just because of their insane speed. Get some archers to screw up their fliers and some basic riders to intercept Black Knights. They don't have to win, just slow them down for Grimgor to headbutt Mannfred into the dirt.
  • Top Knots can be a pain, but lots and lots of archers will help. Yeah they've got a ward save but it won't block everything, and you want to avoid melee as long as possible.
  • For Chaos though, that's a tougher nut to crack. Remember that Big 'uns get a bonus versus large opponents which are like half the Chaos roster. Arachnaroks are your best monster because of the crazy amount of armor the spider has, and it gives zero shits about enemy armor. Black Orcs ditto.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ChickenWing posted:

Basically what I'm asking is, how does one deal with flankers and protect one's back line without sacrificing too much on the front line. Assume two full stacks going head to head.

I'm going to level with you, Slayers are kinda terrible right now for a ton of reasons. Cut them down to one and have two Shield Warriors/Longbeards in the back row as reserves or to tank a charge from cavalry. It might be worth it to have a Greatweapons unit to serve as an extra arrow magnet instead of your slayers. If you're having trouble with cannons I definitely recommend sticking to Grudgethrowers and Quarrelers, as they're better at firing over your own lines if there's not a convenient hill. The "checkerboard" gets mentioned a lot but I find it a bit of a pain to set up. The idea is to include gaps in the line big enough that your gunpowder units have something to fire at, while small enough that enemy units can't easily run through them.

A better formation might look like this:

code:
W-W-W-W-W-W
-----L-----
-T-Q-Q-Q-T-
--Q--Q--Q--
W--C-S-C--W
1x Lord
8x Warriors
6x Quarrelers
2x Thunderers
2x Cannons
1x Slayers

Rounds you out to a full 20 unit stack.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gitro posted:

I've had the AI actually attack me when it's roughly equal on the power bar but not too often. That's on normal and hard though, I don't know if their aggressiveness or whatever changes as you go up in difficulties. It's fun and I wish they'd do it more often even if the optimal strategy is to ignore my army in favour of endlessly sacking my poo poo.

I've had the same experience, especially if the AI can catch me after using Forced March.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

DiHK posted:

I wanna talk some more about D&D hammer.

Is the idea that only the player runs parties and slays full units of enemies or that all factions have parties and it's a character focused campaign.

In the case of the latter I like the idea of trouncing the unit sizes but leaving HP largely untouched. This would differ by faction and unit type. So Empire would have 3 dude units of hippogryfs, 5 dude Reiksguard and 8 dude units for all the other cavalry... maybe between 10 and 15 for infantry units. Conversely, Greenskin numbers would greater, Max 30, min 8 dudes, depending on the unit. To keep damages even you'd have to up the damage value of the individual dude...

The former mode, heroes vs. Hordes, might be a simpler game because your main concern is modifying the heroes and strategic level to support it. Hero vulnerability to missiles would need to be addressed.

Strategic level would need to have greater hero caps, maybe even a lower recruitment requirement so you can start with one of each hero available. Something would need to be done about the multiple stack multiplier but I think that could be controlled through upkeep.

Ideally you'd want to change as few tables as possible to allow other mods to function. I dunno, ought try and make this thing.

Thankfully the game uses really nice numbers for dividing up units. Looks like you could divide each unit by ten from Ultra unit sizes and multiply health by ten, then round up. So for Empire that'd look like:

Melee infantry: 12 dudes at 580-650 HP per dude
Missile infantry: 9 dudes at 580 HP per dude
Cavalry: 6 dudes at 920 -1040 HP per dude
Demigryhs: 3 dudes at 2,500 HP actually might want to round down to 2 dudes, Demigryphs have a ton of health.

Could definitely work, but good luck balancing all the hidden stats like accuracy.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Has anyone made that "Awakened Norscan Tribes" mod yet? I got shafted by the Skaelings about 30 turns into my longest Chaos Campaign yet. I mean yes I re-declared war on them after they managed to beat me to a war target and I spent more turns than needed dealing with the lovely enemy hoverhands on my one awakened tribe, but Christ they gobbled the Varg up quick and came after me with three full stacks. Having someone at their backs would do wonders for making Norsca less tedious for every single faction.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ChickenWing posted:

I don't have any problem with Norscans, no idea what you're talking about :iit:

Okay everyone besides Dwarfs. There's 7 provinces up in Norsca. If those seven provinces each started with the factions that could be awoken there (Bearsonling, Aesoling, Skarl) then not only would it give Chaos/Empire players a needed breather, but it'd also give the End Times a little more oomph for the southern factions by giving Chaos more vassals when they show up.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

dylguy90 posted:

A cool dlc for this game would be if you could put together an adventuring company or M&B style mercenary force and travel around joining in on random battles. Your talent tree could focus on befriending certain factions, reinforcing their armies from farther away, and combat bonuses against their enemies. Basically like a good Chaos mini-horde.

Literally Dogs of War or Grudgebringers DLC (I hope :allears:)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kitchner posted:

This, but in English.

Huh, I might be mixing Fantasy and 40k, but I thought the hierarchy went something like:

Squig -> Snotling -> Goblin -> Goblin Boss -> Orc -> Orc Big 'un -> Orc Boss -> Orc Warboss.

So there's space for an Orc Boss agent akin to the Goblin Big Boss ones. Or hell, if you want an Orc that might actually go around spoutin' stra-ta-gees, a Black Orc Boss would fit the bill.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kaza42 posted:

Strigoi confirmed as in the game (This is during the Chaos Tomb Blade quest for Kemmler. I think vampire heroes aren't supposed to ride chaos horses)

That's loving terrifying.

For people that aren't familiar, Strigori are a lord-level option in Vampire armies, and they're slavering beasts in combat. Basically imagine if Fluffy Von Carstein had poisoned attacks, knew a few spells from the Lore of Vampires, and could ride a Terrorgheist.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Found some well-done mods that fluff out Slayers a bit more:

"All New Slayers"
Long Drong's Slayer Pirates

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but the All New Slayers is exactly how I hope Slayers get officially changed in the future. How foes CA go about implementing ideas that are similar to existing mods? Has that ever come up before?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Reik posted:

I don't get why slayers are so much upkeep. I mean, they don't have any armor to upkeep, and it's not like you have to pay them, they have to be slayers since they took the oath. They fit more as cheaper lower tier units IMO.

If nothing else they should be available early to round out the "traditional" dwarf units. The upkeep is a weird duck, Slayers and Rangers aren't really recruited in the first place. They both just sorta show up when needed or are essentially hangers-on with the army.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

kanonvandekempen posted:

Posted on the CA facebook page.

Translates to Aaz Akazsh Nasdhashurh.

Apparently it's a reference to beastmen?

Angry Lobster posted:

It's the Dark Tongue of Chaos iirc, so yeah, probably beastmen or something related.

Found a list of the Chaos Runes in case anyone wants to take a crack at translating it. The Total War Facebook page notes that the phonetic pronunciation isn't "what it seems". Which probably means it's as imprecise as the "DIE URKS" you see engraved on grudgethrower stones.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gejnor posted:

Personally i really, and i mean like really.. reaally REAAAAALLLLYYYYyyy wish Orcs had a mid or high tier unit in their vanilla roster that uses a shield.

This would be Black Orcs if the Total War engine handled swapping between weapons. They had a rule called "Armed to da Teef" that let them freely switch between two-handed weapons, greatweapons, or a choppa and shield at the start of each turn. I suppose modders could translate it when Wurzag is added with his ability to turn wizards into squigs.

E: Yes before you ask, Wurzag can turn Archaon the Everchosen of Chaos into a squig. Can't wait to unlock THAT achievement :allears:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 28, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nah the tech you need as Uruks is "Lords of the Lash", which gives you a huge boost to unit leadership. It doesn't seem like much, but where there's a whip there's a way.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

unwantedplatypus posted:

Game is way too easy. Recruit Frodo and Sam> 18 giant Eagles>fly over mordor> drop ring> long campaign victory. Mordor doesn't have enough nazgul to stop you.

How did you manage to confederate with the Eagles Eyrie? In my Fellowship campaigns I can't even get them to take a Trade Agreement.

Maybe my game is bugged, I always see uruks making a beeline for the Shire whenever Isengard gets razed. Weirdest loving thing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Lone Badger posted:

Playing as Mordor, I've had a Ranger assassinate at least eight of my captains so far. Thing is I'm certain I've killed him at least twice - the second time I checked the name and it was definitely him. But now he's running around again and just destroyed the new Statue I built. Bug?

Do you have the "Sons of Fëanor" mod? It's got a ton of super obscure characters from the lore mixed in with the quality of life fixes, and that sounds like the culprit. If you take the "Less OP Agents" mod though that guy stops killing your captains near as much and they start generating some neat traits from all the assassination attempts.

I still chuckle when I check an Uruk and he's managed to gain "Shire-trained Chef" though :allears:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 29, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fangz posted:

I think making them backline units that can shoot over friendlies will help a lot, and might be enough on its own. Especially if you can shoot into melee.

Yeah backline with boosted range is going to do a hell of a lot, I can see them being useful as "mob-snipers", have them torch soft target before the lines hit, then aim them at clumps of archers or ranged cavalry while the lines are engaged.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dandywalken posted:

This was the only change that made me really frown. Rest looks sweet.

No attempts at changing the Skaeling/Varg stuff on campaign either that I can see, sadly.

I've got my fingers crossed that the buff is for "Warriors of Chaos" marauders specifically, and not Norscans :shepicide:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, but I still think fanatics are super weak compared to how they should be, especially considering all of their disadvantages (like how you can't control when they release or which direction they will go, how close you have to be to use them, and the fact that to use them you have to take units of goblins over lots of better options).

Agreed. If Fanatics are going to be a late-game unit, then your opponent should be debating about sending mid-late units against it. I do wonder if boosting the chance for cavalry and monsters to get staggered or knocked down by AoE would be a quick fix. The game definitely loves knocking down infantry and crippling their ability to fight back.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a very impractical mount and I love it

I want the generic lords to get Shieldbearers so friggin' bad.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 29, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder why flamethrowers wouldnt be good against armor anyways. Its sticky napalm poo poo, and they used it to kill tanks back in the 50's. I imagine it'd adhere to and seep into joints to cook any wearer of plate-armor alive.

I guess its always just been kind of a thing in games that flames sucks vs armor, sadly. Then again, in WH40k Flamers are poo poo versus armor as well so... :(

I blame the use of gas flamethrowers in media, instead of actual napalm.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Korgan posted:

It's gone. :v:

Got another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKqegE8_02k

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

rockopete posted:

Free might mean it still affects the rating? That's all I can think of.

Yeah the logic as far as I see is that as long as you need a credit card to get this DLC, the parent is a "part" of the process and got to see that they bought an M-Rated game for their kid. You can't blame stolen credit cards on Creative Assembly.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zore posted:

You also have to tech up super high to get them.

Meh, last thing Vamps needed was Shock Cav when they already have a bunch of great monsters. I feel like Varghulf and Terrorgeists already fill the role Blood Knights could fill and they're way easier to get out and interact better with things like Nehek.

Part of the advantage of Blood Knights compared to Black Knights is that they didn't crumble (because they're vampires, and not reanimated by the wizard leading the army). Having a unit that actually retreats would be amazing compared to your Terrorgheist spontaneously combusting as soon as it's surrounded.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rygar201 posted:

Which edition was this? Every edition I've played had vampires crumbling rather than taking leadership tests. They're still undead after all.

Eighth Edition, which TW:WH is based on. There's a special rule called Vampiric that keeps them from crumbling when the general dies. I guess leadership tests still caused a drop in health.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gejnor posted:

Oh and on Flame Cannon chat: they barely increased the range (150 to 160) but upped the damage like crazy, from 273 to 382!

That may not seem like much, but the archers I've seen so far max out at 155. Plus with the boost to damage I've been able to rout Bret archers with as few as one or two salvos.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Tournament Talk Folks!

We have nine names so far so we're probably going to move ahead with something. If we could get to 16 players or more for a strong bracket that would be just swell! We will probably not start the tournament until at least the weekend of July 8th so the holiday doesn't mess anybody up and we can get more names. Noted Total War Guy and long time club member Yukitsu is going to handle the formal running of the tournament and we're working on the actual rules.

Join the group here (it's public): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

Post in this thread if you want to play: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

Thanks for reposting! I was interested but couldn't find the original post again.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, don't forget that you can still recruit units from ambush stance; if you set up outside Karak Kadrin with a minor lord and a handful of Warriors/Quarrelers then your capital's garrison will provide the punch you need to overwhelm Grimgor while you complete the Thundering Falls quest and capturing Gunbad. Plus the Gunbad fight is easy as hell if you're willing to cheese it just a little by recruiting some chaff Miners to screen your crossbows. See, the ranged towers in sieges will automatically target the unit that's closest, so send your miners first to soak up that attention. Meanwhile your Quarrelers can outshoot anything on the walls, your miners can knock down gates faster than any battering ram, and Warriors can hold city streets and gateways almost indefinitely. Dwarfs are so good at sieges it's not funny.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

unwantedplatypus posted:

Technically, greenskins have the best archers in the game

Not true. Bretonnian archers disqualify orcs & goblins by existing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Lone Badger posted:

What makes orc/goblin and bret archers good? Cheapness?

The fact they are the only Archers in the game. Dwarfs and Empire have Crossbowmen. :thejoke:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

unwantedplatypus posted:

I'm more excited for skaven and chaos dwarfs. WWI era technology in MY fantasy universe? Hell yes :getin:

Everyone freaks out over Skaven machine guns and sniper rifles, but I think Chaos Dwarfs have them beat. They've got a rocket/cannon hybrid, a flame cannon with all its stats doubled, mortars that cause mini-earthquakes, and a demonic locomotive to haul them around the battlefield. Plus they've got bayonets repeater rifles built into halberds and the world's strongest shotguns.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Lone Badger posted:

In TW if it's physically possible for your projectiles to reach the enemy then your troops will have no psychological problem with attempting it. Even when it's a bad idea.

Nah, the unit AI is pretty decent at determining if it'd hit a friendly unit when you set them to "Fire At Will", and it'll avoid doing so. If you give them an attack order though, they'll fire as long as it's physically possible. So I guess you turn off that bit of discretion for Skaven AI.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kainser posted:

And yeah, the isolation of the factions may very well become an issue (the Lizardmen might be extremely cool but would that really matter if you'll never get to fight them?) but at least it seems like CA is aware of it.

I mean there's a handful of reasons and ways to incorporate any faction onto any of the three hypothetical maps. For example, there are scattered tribes of Lizardmen in the Southlands south of the Tomb Kings as well as on the Dragon Isles for the Mountains of Mourn expansion.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Furnaceface posted:

I havnt had the chance to play this pretty much since maybe the first week of release because my old rear end video card just cant handle it even on minimum settings. The RX 480 was my promised land but that promised land sets your motherboards on fire. :smith:

Are slayers good yet?

They're a tiny bit cheaper but they still fall to a stiff breeze/liquefy giant monsters.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Truecon420 posted:

Alright that helps, thanks. But I was also wondering in general lore what happens after the End Times... is it the Age of Myth, and the Timeline is cyclical? or does it just go on to age of Sigmar?

There isn't an "after the End Times". The name should be a dead giveaway. But to answer the question, yes the lore in Warhammer is cyclical (or to quote Dinotopia, time's a spiral). All the nations of Order and Chaos squabble amongst themselves until some Chaos Champion or Undead Magician or Greenskin Warboss knocks enough heads together to seriously threaten civilization as we know it. Then everyone bands together to stop them and the status quo resumes. It happened to Bel'akor, Asavar Kul, Tamurkhan, Gorbad Ironclaw, and Nagash a couple dozen times on his own. In this game you either play as Not Chaos and add Archaon to that list of posers, or play as Chaos and make sure things stick this time around.

ChickenWing posted:

Aren't they canonically top-of-their-empire-game Eldar?

Nah, if you go by the logic that the Old Ones are the same thing in Fantasy and 40k then they're the ones that made the Eldar first to fight the Necrons.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah given that Malakai's idea of a practical piece of field artillery is this steampunk nightmare known as the Goblin Hewer, you know he's got some screws loose.

Anyway the other most unique LL to use among Dwarfs is Thorek Ironbrow, an extremely powerful Runelord that lugs around his personal Anvil of Doom into battle.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

Depends on their DLC schedule I think, the current races might not use Beasts or Life but the predicted DLC factions (Beastmen, Wood Elves, Bretts) do.

Pretty much all depends on what the next DLC ends up being.

The Empire has access to all the Eight Lores (Fire, Metal, Death, Shadow, Life, Beasts, Heavens, Celestial). Hopefully Shadow gets squeezed in at some point between major DLC, but I imagine the Beastmen/Wood Elves/Brettonia pack will include the lores of Life, Beasts, and "the Wilds" as a unique lore to Beastmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Lone Badger posted:

I want Total War: Warmachine.

I used to rag on people asking for Total WarMachine, but I guess it'd work.

• Locked thread