Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

I can't speak for Raise Dead being bugged because it doesn't happen to me, but when it's working it's hands down the most bonkers crazy broken ability in the entire game. You can snap your fingers and poo poo out an entire 20 stack of units ranging from zombies to terrorgheists in one turn, instantly, in enemy territory, and the units will be able to move and attack that turn. All it takes is a shitload of bodies in a province, and the northern Imperial provinces tend to turn into gigantic corpse wagons when Chaos hits because of all the fighting between the invaders and the northern Imperial provinces. You can quite literally drown the Storm of Chaos in corpses.
It being bugged for me really sucked because I'd planned on pissing off a ton of people, sending out hordes of chaff at everyone and everything, and basically just drowning my/their lands in corpses and blood. It, uh, didn't work out so well for me. There is a marker down near where Stirland and the Schwartzhafen vampire clan went at it, but 2500+ deaths in a single field battle gets me nothing. Casualties still 0.

Kaza42 posted:

I know that it's not at all how they are on the tabletop, but I would love to see more historical pistoleers. Heavily armored shock cavalry that charges in, shoots, then charges out again to repeat. Super high charge bonus, but very low melee stats or something like that.
I'd love to see this too, and was kind of hoping either Outriders or Pistoliers would fill the relatively rare role of light/medium shock cavalry with some limited skirmishing ability.

Anyhow: Athel Loren and Skavenblight are both in the map, but really small. Any chance that that's not only a sign that they're going to be implemented pretty quickly in expac cylce, but also that their province mechanics might be different from the factions in this game?

e:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, it does get tedious trying to use the new fun stuff in your main armies, especially as they get further from your home territory (this is one of the more fun parts about playing chaos imo, you can instantly recruit fun new stuff wherever you happen to be at the time). Global recruiting helps a little, but some units take FOREVER to build that way (like 6 turns for a black orc unit, ouch).
If global recruitment didn't have double cost, double time, and negate all of your province bonuses, maybe I'd use it ever. At least have it pick from the best available province or something.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Make sure your spears are braced (not moving) when they get charged.

I know it's because I'm terrible, but I'd like to have some visual bonus that this was happening, you know? You can see a charge and know you got the charge bonus, but if infantry with bracing bonuses actually braced when stationary/prior to contact from the front it'd both look better and give bads like me more cues about what's happening to my little dudes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

My Silver Seal quest seems to have malfunctioned. I did the first part (deploy a witchhunter) but the second part of the quest never fired. The only quest I have on my tab is the one for the Runefang.

Also, is there any way to improve my odds of getting a Captain? I want my +exp on recruits.
Go... hire one? A t3 barracks lets you hire one I'm pretty sure.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any word on fixing the bug where raise dead sometimes just doesn't ever benefit from high deathcounts for people?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just had an absolutely fantastic assault on a maximum-garrisoned Altdorf with a full Franz stack defending. The End Times happened about six turns ago so I'd pulled my other stacks back to defend Sylvania and decided to see if I could take it with just Mannfred's stack of a few Vargheists, two Terrorgheists, and some crypt ghouls, horrors, and guard. Banshee blows up the walls, everyone rushes the gaps and I manage to hack my way to the square as the enemy keeps breaking and reforming. I can't burn down Franz with Spirit Leech fast enough, so he, Mannfred, my Vampire hero, and a Wight King duel it out in the square while my one stupidly resilient group of horrors and remaining terrorgheist cycle-charge the enemy groups that keep routing and reforming until eventually I win under the victory point buildup. Everyone on every side was crumbling or chain-routing, exhausted, and I genuinely had no idea where it'd go. I kept having to pull Mannfred out and have him go snack on a routing group so Franz wouldn't kill him.

Sidenote, I really wish I could trade provinces with an ally. I ended up letting the Schwartzhafen vampires live for a while and its really been a pain. They took Wurtland for me, which was nice, but they're still sitting in Schwartzhafen and getting them to take all of Wurtland while I took Averland instead of splitting was a pain. Now they took Bechafen, which is fine, but I'm sitting in Essen. I'd frankly rather just gift them Essen and be done with the whole province. Our provinces are so entertwined now that war to take back a few places and neaten up the borders would probably hurt a lot more than it'd help, but I also really could use that commandment bonus.

e: Vassaling them doesn't seem to work too well either. I'm at +190 and climbing with them and noticeably stronger than they are, but they still have a very low chance to accept. Any ideas on how to deal with it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Note to VC-playing folks: rush the Empire, because trying to press west to kill them while the Dwarves start kicking rear end up and down the southeast and the End Time hordes are pouring in from the north is...difficult, to say the least. Plus the fuckers keep confederating my allies away: both the Empire and Dwarves stole an ally of mine by confederating them. They're now Str. 1 and 2, with several more provinces than me, effectively surrounding me, and the AI End Times hordes keep knocking on my door anyway. Its alright, von Carstein is the true Emperor and the way to show that is to lead the charge against the Chaos hordes. I just wish Raise Dead wasn't hosed on my campaign. :(

I spent way too long turn 30-80 not being aggressive enough.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

The issue is that if your giant takes HP damage that's no decline in your army's firepower, whereas if you lose 10 greatswords that decreases your attack power by that amount. So from a tactical viewpoint your army keeps its firepower longest if your large hp units take the damage. It's sort of an interesting conundrum.

Its not that I mind my units losing HP in an outsize fashion, its that I mind them dying. If I've got a single unit that's low on HP and replacing them is hard, I'm doing my best to keep them the hell out of combat. Especially since I'm autoresolving and therefore have a clear edge, I probably don't need that Vamp or Vargulf doing its thing the whole battle.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's funny because before release several of us were posting about how spirit leech and fate of bjuna looked stupidly overpowered just point and click deleting high priced units with multiple casts per battle, but got told you can't tell the balance just from looking at videos of it.
People were also saying this about the various vortex spells though too, so.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Vargulfs and Terrorgheists are just a bit more expensive than wraiths.
And on campaign, I might ever take Wraiths if they didn't take two turns to raise. They're fragile and do not come anywhere close to being lethal enough for their cost and time. Terror can be nice, but a flank charge should ideally kill something, which wraiths can't do.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Reik posted:

So, armies in forced March should not deny the area around them in movement. Got stuck behind marching orcs in a valley and since I couldn't get around them they could reach my settlements before I could and raze them, marching out of my normal stance reach.
The inability to deny movement to enemies even in the narrow mountain passes is absurdly frustrating.

e: Without agents.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wilekat posted:

It appears there was originally an intent for every faction to have some sort of Lord titling/council system. The council references exist and there's titles for the VC, Greenskins, Dwarfs and Chaos alongside the Empire's set of Arch Lector, Castellan-Engineer etc.

Chaos: Aspirant, Marked One, Champion, Chosen, Exalted
Dwarf: Lode Warden, Reckoner, Ironmaster, Brewmaster, Clan Lord
Greenskins: Lout, Bully, Thug, Brute, Chieftain King
Vampire Counts: Grave Warden, Initiate, Acolyte, Awakened, Red Ascendant

Also don't use the enslave button with your faction leader (maybe at all?) if you don't want that global unrest penalty. This is Dumb and they'll hopefully change it, though people have already started to mod this crap out.

Easiest way to fix that would be to make it so that most traits have a positive and negative aspect to it. Like, ok, you get a global unrest penalty, but the amount of people you dominate doubles. Making it clearer how you got that penalty would also go a long way towards making it feel less arbitrary.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lame Devil posted:

How do VC defend walls without ranged units?
Garrisons get quite a few bats and vargheists, and most player VC stacks are flyer-heavy. On top of that, a lot of the VC infantry is designed to tarpit pretty well so they can take a lot of ranged fire. They also have decent ranged options in the form of magic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I thought that, but with the relatively slower growth of a two settlement province and no warrior priests to speed it up getting to witch hunters takes a million years. And dealing with the corruption and public order penalties of northern tribes you'll never catch wandering around your provinces until you have witch hunters to slow them down is loving terrible.
Sure, but the tradeoff is that now you have both steam tanks and catbird troops. Yay! You could make different choices for different benefits instead of having it all at once easily. I ended up ignoring artillery in Reikland in favor of warrior priests, mages, and cavalry, then used Marienburg to build artillery. This meant that I couldn't get a Luminark, but I was okay with that. Once I got Middenland I definitely ignored artillery in that province in favor of...warrior priests and cavalry thanks to their unique buildings, and ended up trashing my Menagerie in Altdorf in favor of a gunnery whatsit so I could recruit from both Altdorf and Middenland more easily since they're right next to each other, and get a Luminark too (not worth it, to be honest). I couldn't field everything at once without giving something up until near the end, and that's ok, imo. The ideal situation to fix this is to make global recruitment worth using ever, but its not, so.

Every settlement gets the t2 +growth building until I get really going, then I trash it for something else. Warrior priests help a ton too, but if you chose not to go into them you are going to have better army variety and so can probably do better on the tactical maps with less, or be better able to project force and conquer poo poo faster!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pinely posted:

Yeah, it seems intentional that you don't get all the buildings you need for all the units until after/during the Chaos invasion.

That said, there ought to be some late game Chaos stuff if only to make the post invasion gameplay a little more diverse and a little less curb stomping your way to a victory condition.
Yeah, I don't know. Maybe it was because I was way too slow as VC early on, but I pretty much curbstomped Chaos when they showed up, but now I have to deal with an Empire that had been on the ropes but has confederated its way to owning half of Brettonia and most of the Empire that isn't Altdorf, and their very close allies the Dwarfs, who have kicked the living poo poo out of the Greenskins and need to be purged from the mountains, which they own most of except for Zhufbar. Both of those factions confederating the ally of each race that I'd systematically tried to build up to use as weapons against their parent faction sucked. :( The VC endgame definitely seems to be dealing with one/both of those factions and not Chaos.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

This is impossible by the way. The Empire cannot confederate Brettonian territories any more than Brettonia could confederate something like Wissenland. Any faction can only confederate with other factions that make up their "natural" domain.
Artois conquered a good chunk of Brettonia, Wissenland grabbed another foothold, Marienburg chased Artois out of their home province, then Empire vassal'd Artois and confederated with Marienburg, Wissenland and Talabecland (my groomed ally) and conquered Middenland. Mousillon somehow exists in part of Averland and whatever-the-hell city is across the pass from Helmgert. I have no idea what happened early on in that game, but its strange. I'm planning on turning on Mousillon long enough to wipe them out to secure a better border, solidify an alliance with Estalia, and maybe prevent both the Empire and Dwarves from going to war with me when I declare on one.
So yes, technically you are correct: The Empire confederated its way into owning most of the Empire and vassal'd most of Brettonia. It means I've got less territory to pillage, but doesn't really help with the number of armies I have to face.

e: Brettonia proper was wiped out before I'd come close to encountering them.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 17, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Go back to the 100% physical resist Banshees please. How?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

I assume he means other total war games. In which case, yeah, trying to march troops to the front line as Shimazu in Shogun 2 was loving AWFUL. It's overall less bad in this game because most factions are relatively central with respect to their objectives.
Unless as VC the Dwarves take over the entire south. There can be some pretty huge slogs, especially since you don't want to just disband heroes to quickly reposition them like you can with armies. As much as TW designed the game to not be a "paint the map" objective, I ended up having to purge all of Brettonia, chase the Empire south all the way to Tilea, and then purge the Dwarves. The only other surviving faction was Skaeling and I think a Varg army the Skaelings could never wipe out, because eventually everyone just starts ganging up on you and it becomes easier and faster to lead a doomstack through Kirak Hirn than to deal with their raiding armies. But with the exception of repositioning hero-heavy VC armies (who get to use insta-build Raise Dead instead of global recruitment), other armies can have a pretty hard time recruiting far afield. Sitting still for 6 drat turns is a lot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Does anyone know what circumstances cause which traits?
At least two of my banshees gained +kill chance from what the game said was my skill choices. I think the key ones were assassin, watcher, and the + Attack and Damage skills in the combat tree? But it wasn't reliable, because all of my banshees are basically built the same way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Having multiple casters in an army seems prohibitive since they share the same pool of magic. The only exception is possibly VCs because being able to use Invocation of Nehek on two blobs of units simultaneously is probably worth it.

Do Runesmiths share cooldowns? If they don't, I could see having two Runesmiths more worth it because they could buff armor/ward saves almost continuously.
Running multiple Vampires is (was?) totally worth it in campaign for being able to spam Bjuna/Leech really quickly. Once they get decently leveled they each bring +15 to your reserve (so 2 casts of leech or 1 of Bjuna) and they can fight well unlike the other casters. I can't see anyone else bringing multiple casters with much frequency, though.

Why do Vampires get lore of Death and Necros get Lore of Vampires anyhow? There's literally no reason to build Necromancers as anything but economy agents that I can see; your lord has Vampire Lore covered and your Vampire heroes have Death.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The easiest way to make ward saves a little less nuts would be to make each apply multiplicatively instead of additively, no? Like, a 50% save and 25% save now results in 75% damage resistance. If you changed it, you'd end up with 62.5% resistance instead, with steadily decreasing returns as you stacked it. You could still make ungodly tough monsters, but not to the sheer ridiculousness that is Kholek right now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Will high levels of lightning strike let you put hordes close enough to reinforce without getting the infighting penalty?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

It seems like several factions have a critical place to capture that makes the campaign much easier. For empire it's Marienberg because it gets you a special port early on allowing you to start building up trade income. For Dwarves it's Mt Gunbad which has both a gold and bright stone mine.

Are there places for orcs and vampires with particularly nice special buildings?
Vampires start with a really good +income building and Templehof has a good +forest troops bonus, but the next really critical place for them to capture in the same vein as Marienberg or Gunbad is probably Altdorf, then Marienburg. Instead I think the best place to "capture" is the dwarf subfaction near you. Subjugate them ASAP before the Dwarves proper confederate with them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

First time went bad because I tried using thin lines on an enemy that demanded thick ones. But I learned (I also learned this Leader had a Fireball Ring) from that and tried it again, thicker lines. Didn't work, well fine, I just have to take out the leadership. This was working... almost. I did kill the enemy lord, but then, out of loving nowhere, my God damned General dies and I completely rout. He had half HP, what happened?!
Even nerfed, Spirit Leech can hit really hard. VCs have a lot of characters that can cast it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

loving Sigvald again making me chase his stupid loving rear end all over the Empire with two stacks and then he blew up Grunburg because despite having Lv.1 Walls and a Tier III castle, was an open field battle.

I could probably win the fight with a lot of effort but no, I absolutely do not want to try to win with the forces I had.
You need a t2 garrison to get walls on minor settlements.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Speaking of resettling, is there any disadvantage (besides vulnerability) to only using a lord to resettle? I realized that resettling was decimating the full armies I'd been using, so I started using smaller armies. I then realized that just sending a lord out to resettle takes 0 troops and doesn't drain his health. Is this costing me more gold, or have I optimized the process?
It costs you more gold. 2500 with no troops, reduced down by the number of troops you use.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

also, removing units removes their earned xp
There are times that I actually get better units disbanding and retraining, plus VC really benefits from building tall instead of wide, so yeah, I've definitely disbanded whole armies and re-trained them a few turns later after I used the savings to build Vampire Keeps and Necromancer Towers everywhere. Kick someone's teeth in, wait for them to give you a big payoff for peace, use a few turns to re-consolidate, then go elsewhere/back after all the sack values are back to full.

I'd actually do this a lot more if disbanding a hero put them back into the hiring pool instead of just deleting them, which would be nice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

what are important technologies for all the factions?
Now that the Forest tree isn't quite so overpoweringly good, VC should pretty much march straight down the Lahmian Book of Blood and get everything there. From there do whatever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Beastmen seem pretty fancy and unique, which limits a lot of my minor concern that the DLC factions would lack the uniqueness that the base game really nailed. That said, are they not playable as a campaign race on the main map? It seems like they have a new map for their campaign instead of being integrated to the main one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

You sure it looks like the model one

As far as how it acts, yeah. They could be a lot more unique on the battlefield than "cannon that has unlimited morale" like they are now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its just not that useful when a Witch Hunter knocks 4 holes in walls that will allow a much broader force in quickly and allow better bombardment from better artillery pieces (cannon) to boot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I just think it's lame how you basically have to designate a hero as "good at map" or "good at fights" with like no crossover until they are very high level. It's dumb. The skill system should make naturally make them get at least a little better at both. I just feel like they should be more general.
You could make it so that agents imbedded in an army get to automatically use their action at a reduced chance/effect/both when they're engaged.

E:. Don't know how you'd make combat-specc'd heroes be better at the map, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

It applies a slight leadership malus to the enemy.

Right, so why does it give them an auto resolve bonus?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Muurkas posted:

With lightning strike friendly armies will not assist either

I know. Try it. Take one army of yours and attack one army of theirs. Toggle lightning strike. With it off, you'll (sometimes?) have better odds of winning than if it was on, despite it giving your enemies a leadership penality.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It'd be cool if those chaos corruption shrine thingies gave you vision or some other benefit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

? Isn't this actually awesome for you? Bum rush the reinforcing the stack.
Yeah, I've won a few utterly bullshit battles because i was able to murder one stack as they entered and recover just in time to take on the second as it marched towards me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm going to start with the mini-campaign, which probably means I'm going with Malagor on the grand campaign later.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For beastmen, I know that Minotaurs are fantastic, but what should I really be using for my core? Just Gor Herds with some flanking hidden Ungor? Gors don't look that much better than Ungor and they lose stalk (and shielded Gor lose Vanguard).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ubercrunchy posted:

I beat Eye for an Eye over the weekend and didn't build a single siege engine. Just minotaurs bashing down the gates in record time.

I only recruited bestigor two turns before ending the game. It just seems like they don't have a niche. Why spend 3 turns for a bestigor when 2 turns gets me a minotaur?
And Gors end up with quite a bit more attack for a 1-turn recruitment, too. I guess they give you armor-piercing non-large units, but frankly, Bestigors would be a lot better with halberds or something instead of axes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I was in the same situation, minus the raiding which I was mindful of throughout the campaign (always be raiding as Beastmen). The whole world burned...including the AI Beastmen tribes I was supposed to confederate. I can find them and win their respect in time but there's nothing I can do to keep them from wiping to an enemy faction before they feel like joining me. I really hope CA realizes that's not a terribly good victory condition and patches it somehow.

I got my two confederations by doing the quest to impress the tribe, immediately military allying with them, and then waiting until they had been smashed in a battle but not destroyed. One army I picked up had a lord at 1 hp, a depleted unit of hounds, and a newly recruited ungor herd. Sure it died next round, but I got the confederation buff and count for the victory condition. The other I dragged into a roughly even battle, then pulled back when the enemy charged, let him take the brunt, then mopped up and confederated since they'd been so weakened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Super 3 posted:

So when I've played and been attacked in a town by the AI not once was did I fight that battle from behind walls or did the AI have to siege me. Yes I had either walls or the other garrison option on. It would always toss my garrison into a regular map, I feel cheated :(

After restarting as Beastmen things got astronomically easier after I stopped looting/defiling towns and just raided the poo poo out of everyone. Headed straight for the extra raiding income and then just bounced around raiding and pulling armies out to crush them.

Having my small Malagor horde sent in raiding with my main horde next to it in ambush works rather well. Then abusing their stances to run off or do whatever or raid somewhere else.
In Eye for an Eye, this definitely works fantastically, especially if you get multiple of the +growth, no replenishment moon options in a row. Do some early defiling to get some bonus growth quick to kickstart Khazrak's horde and start Malagor's, make sure to get the chapter bonuses for +50% raiding income, then start raiding and murdering. When you need a cash infusion, sack something, then go back to raiding.

• Locked thread