Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Guys this game is real good. It's the first total war game I've played (out of Rome 1, Medieval 2, Shogun 2, Rome 2) that I immediately went and started a 2nd campaign immediately after finishing my first one. Also it's co-op campaign actually loving works nearly flawlessly. My buddy and I ran into one bug that we had to do a work around to keep the game moving, but in recent attempts at Shogun 2 vanilla and Rome 2 vanilla co-op campaigns we couldn't even get past the first turn.

It's just really loving good. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wilekat posted:

Holy poo poo.

I just had one of those videogame moments I've read about but never experienced before.

Decided to go ahead and do Ungrim's quest for the Slayer Crown, which is a battle against a blob of VC chaff, basically. I'm really bad for getting overwhelmed on the flanks with Dwarfs and, while the checkerboard held for a remarkable amount of time, cohesion collapsed under the sheer mass of the filthy hordes.

As poo poo begins to deteriorate, two things become apparent -

- Ungrim's band of slayers are doing pretty loving well against two units of Black Knights and dogs, to the point that when they get support from a group of warriors the whole lot crumble around them, with two brave slayers left alive.

- Ungrim Ironfist is going to die, today.

Everything is going badly. Very, very badly. Grudgethrowers have been swarmed by bats and are out of commission, the line is rolling up with no hope of further support anywhere and Dwarfs are dying in embarrassing numbers. The one point of hope is right in the middle of the line, where Ungrim is doggedly slaughtering ghosts, dogs, bats, dead horses, dead humans, their skeletons and anything else that dares come near him. The Vampire Count on his great zombie dragon takes umbridge to this and dives into the line to eat him alive and Ungrim scoffs, cracks him in the face with his axe and the Count breaks, fleeing into the skies. The Slayer King returns to his work.

The vampire returns to the battle at the other end of the massacre and finishes rolling up the line. Ungrim, struggling to break out of the insane cloud of undead around him to give chase, gives up trying to break out and resolves to take as many of the creatures with him as he can before he finally meets his end.

Once the rest of the Dwarf army is beaten, with just Ungrim left on the field outside a few straggling Dwarfs who have survived and rallied somewhere far off, the Vampire Count returns for his prize. Diving headlong into the Dwarf, so busy with all the other foes around him, the end is nigh...

...except Ungrim kills him instantly. With the Count and his dragon slain, the strength of the rest of the unholy horde collapses, they all crumble to dust, and the Slayer King claims his crown.

This is the most :black101: thing I've ever seen happen to me in a videogame.

Ungrim doesn't even have any good gear. No regeneration, potions or anything. He has a banner which causes terror, which is pretty appropriate, considering.

My favorite moment of all time in any total war game was when my mint condition iron breaker/hammerer/slayer/quarreler/cannon army got caught out by two VC armies and a garrison. It was loving glorious, just endless undead infantry dying helplessly. I had over 3k kills.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Also just sad about Slayers being so weak.

Slayers own if used properly. They aren't a line unit and aren't meant to be a large portion of your army. They are best used behind your line as a hard counter to cavalry or as a flanking unit, but they are especially good at killing monsters. They're worth their slot in your army when they dominate some poor VC monster who thought he was going to be able to rampage behind your line and kill your artillery or ranged units.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

NT Plus posted:

:psyduck: I'm retarded. Can I get a screenshot of this formation?

It's in the OP

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

Does this mean microing ranged into melee? Or will the chariots auto charge? In my experience they just kept their distance, or did I have skirmish mode turned on or something?

I think you're looking for a way to force ranged to use melee? If a unit has a ranged attack your rick click will default to that attack. Ironbreakers, even being an infantry unit, have the same thing. If you select an ironbreaker and right click an enemy unit they will move in position and use their ranged attack.

If you want to ignore a ranged attack, select a unit and hold down the alt(?) button and then right click. The unit will use their melee weapons instead.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Wallet posted:

As far as I can tell, it's based on roads. Because of the ground that the Bloody Spears control, I'm not sure there's a functioning route.

This was a few pages back, but I want to weight in.

I just finished up a co-op campaign where I was Ungrim using the LL mod so both players could be Dwarves, thus I started in the North. Throughout the campaign I obliterated the VC and eventually the Chaos killed Kislev leaving me with a literal demilitarized zone two provinces deep between the mountain range and any human faction to my West, so I couldn't trade with *anyone* at all except the other player in the game, thus my income was loving dismal.

I thought to myself, okay, all I need to do is create a route from one of my cities so they can reach their capitals by road, and so I declared war on and crushed mercilessly the Dwarves who had just, through no small amount of effort, claimed the mountain range between what would have been the Border Princes and the rest of the empire.

Once I was done I found out that, *welp* still can't trade with anyone even though I now have a city that has a direct path to every single other human faction in the game. At that point I became pretty much convinced that a faction's ability to trade with another faction has something to do with being able to reach their capital *by road* via your own capital, it can't just be any old city. Since mine was still cut off behind the DMZ, which nobody was populating, I still couldn't trade at all. I thought I might be able to change capitals, but I didn't see the option anywhere, so I gave up.

Also, I'd like to point out that me declaring was on another dwarf faction was loving hilarious. I didn't have any diplo relations with them, but the two of us were direct military allies with several human factions, forming a weird diplo triangle where both of us called several of the same factions to our aid. To Karak Norn's dismay, when I declared war, every single one of their allies abandoned them to help me instead. I was so worried I'd have to fight half a dozen factions but in the end I was able to steamroll them completely unmolested.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

sassassin posted:

Not by far.

Not at all.

Maybe in a year or two.

Ahahahahahaha

This is bad and you should feel bad for having this opinion.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The game is better than the other TWs even with those flaws.

I *willingly* did two campaigns back to back and have a third planned. I haven't done that with any other game since Shogun 2 and only did a 2nd campaign there because it was co-op.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Mans posted:

I'm currently 150 turns into an Orc campaign and i've got to ask, is this goon consensus?

I've let the dwarves keep some of their settlements, specially the big fortresses because sacking them gives you a garanteed 30k every 5 turns. I'm not sure how you can finance a proper orc army without constant sacking the stunties. the crappy 300+ gold treasure box economy item is terrible.

Do a prospect of Dwarven territory and see where they stash all their econ buildings and never actually conquer, just perma sack them for eternal gold and Lord XP

A few pages back: but no. I ignored the Barak Varr and Karak Kadrin, the dwarves to your North West and North respectively, in my early game instead focusing on Karak Azul, the Dwarves to your East and the neighboring Orc factions. Thorgrim would sack a few settlements occasionally, but overall wasn't much of a threat. I refused to respond to his raiding because I felt that if I did any progress I made elsewhere could be rolled back up by the factions I was attacking so I kept the pressure on them. I was prepared to head back if he sieged something important like Black Crag, but he never took the opportunity. Eventually I was able to catch Thorgrim out around turn 40 trying to raid and after that he was finished. He never raised another appreciable force.

Once I had three stacks I sent my third stack and took all his poo poo while I continued to pacify the Savage Orcs and any remaining orc tribes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

How is this many stacks even possible in a vanilla game without just going bankrupt?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think trolls are a little under powered for their cost and ridiculously terrible leadership currently. As it is now, as long as my army has a couple of siege weapons I almost never have to fight an enemy troll unit as long as I remember to target them first.

Trolls are great when you stick them next to Grimgor. They then, I assume, become more afraid of Grimgor killing them for running than they are of dying to the enemy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

SlothBear posted:

Also he lives in a skaven infested mountain on purpose so he can kill them in his down time from fighting the chaos hordes and dwarves. Grimgor is da best.

I read his entry on the warhammer wiki and it sounds like he parked his army outside dwarf holds, destroyed all their armies but didn't take the settlements so that they could keep sending more armies to him. Then he got bored with killing dwarfs and left. lol

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I started my 3rd campaign in this game as the Von Carsteins. In the opening two turns I wasted no time chasing off Manfred who refused to engage and then capturing Drakengard. For some reason Templehof came and killed Manfred while he sieged Drakengard the next turn so I didn't even get to fight him. For this transgression I also smashed Templehof. Owning all of Sylvania I turned East grabbing easy pickings from Stirland and Averland. Then I just sat around for a while just upgrading buildings and clicking next turn until I noticed that Franz himself was sieging Karak Hirn's holdings. It was around this time I unlocked Varghulfs, Terrorgeists and grave guards so I took my upgraded army and trapped Franz in some poo poo town and demolished him, captured the rest of that province, sacked every remaining empire city and then made peace with the Empire forcing them to pay me 2k for the privilege.

It feels real good being the evil vampire bad guy smashing the empire to pieces.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

My blissful start as the Von Carsteins has come crashing to an end. I ignored the green skins as they purged the South and one fine morning in vampire land the orcs commeth with 5 stacks. My 3rd and weakest stack fought valiantly coming close to beating Azhag and his Waagh singlehandedly but ultimately perished. Isabella and Clad, away in the North trying to prop up the last remnants of the worthless human empire, were caught with their pants down. Their vengeance was swift and the tide was stemmed but not before the damage had been done.

I'm super pissed at myself for this. My plan for the game was to use the humans as a meatshield for when the Chaos hammer dropped, so I held back when fighting them only picking up some side provinces. I should have pushed their poo poo in and just taken the gently caress over. They ended up getting stomped by Chaos anyways. Also I completely ignored what was happening around me. The dwarves ultimately folded like a wet paper bag and before I knew it the Greenskins were literally surrounding me on all sides but the North. Left with no one else to gently caress with they chose me. It was inevitable and I was totally unprepared for it.

I'm gunna truck on because Vlad and Isabella's stacks are healthy and I think this can be salvaged. But man I'm not happy with how this turned out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I restarted my Vlad and Isabella campaign. I think I could have ultimately come back in the first one, but it would have been tedious as gently caress.

This time around I left Manny alone but I captured all of Templehof's poo poo so all he had was Drakenhof. Went a similar route as the first game, purging the humans to the West and North. Throw in the fact that the crescent moon orcs gave the empire a tough time and Franz is hanging out with just one city. Breatonnia has taken the rest of the province. I was too late in giving Kislev cash to be the anvil to the chaos hammer. By the time I was infusing them with thousands of gold per turn it was far too late and they got rolled in just a couple turns once the first Chaos stacks showed up. Money I really needed down the tubes.

I kept on Manny's good side throughout the campaign and eventually entered into a military alliance with him. I didn't want Chaos to wipe out the last vestiges of imperial resistence so I gave Manny a chaos stack as a war target. Both of his stacks got their poo poo kicked in which let me confederate him next turn. This was hugely welcome because without the castle it can be a bitch fielding two full stacks. I had Isabella sacking dwarven cities for a pretty penny to keep upgrading my stuff but for a while I had barely above positive income. Getting Drakenhof gave me a massive influx of cash

Thankfully this game the dwarves weren't push overs. Thorgrim had confederated all the other factions and wiped out all the orcs north of him and keeping Grimgor contained to the South. When I stopped last night I had basically turned my northern border into a fortress waiting for the real poo poo to start, I'll have three stacks and tons of cash coming in. If I can successfully crush the Chaos invasion I should be able to pretty much mop everything up.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Man I'm glad I came back to this game after a long break post release. I enabled the Blood DLC and boy howdy it's magical watching monstrous infantry like minotaurs or crypt horrors charge into a formation of bad guys. I watched my crypt horrors obliterate a unit of quarrelers and it was 100% reminiscent of whack a mole but with explosions of blood.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

VS campaign update: Chaos crushed. Some real fun and relatively close battles. Post killing Chaos I embarked on a rather boring ~75 turn campaign of picking up abandoned settlements to get my gold going and to meet that 20 province mark. When I hit the 15 mark the drawves, fresh off murdering the gently caress outa the orcs came in with their buddies and now I'm in a forever war.

Usually in my experience the AI is good at realizing it doesn't stand a chance. Not The Slayer King. He attacked Drakenhaof with two stacks against two of my own and the 20 unit garrison. Officially the largest campaign battle I've ever been in. As I lost units they'd be instantly replaced by totally fresh units thanks to the 40 unit limit.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I've yet to play a faction I've not liked. They're all loving awesome and fun to play in their own ways so I personally have a hard time recommending one over another to anybody.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Noir89 posted:

No you don't understand, you don't have to play as Pontus!

It's not historically accurate!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

For the first few weeks or so that I played at release, I just could *not* manage that. It was hugely discouraging to realize that the auto-battle consistently got better results than I did. But I'm looking to refocus and really get deeper into it this time. The consensus seems to be that PE is the gold standard. If anyone knows of anything written that I can dig into while in the bathroom or at work on the phone, that'd be great also.

In my current VC playthrough my autoresolve values with monster heavy armies versus dwarves with Ironbreakers etc. are awful so I'm pretty much doing every battle as a matter of course (because I stomp them in battle) and it has been *really* satisfying. I thought taking on the dwarves would be a slog, but it's been amazing. Crypt horrors are my favorite vampire unit.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Eimi posted:

He's also managing to get ambushes by running at me, which seems pretty bullshit.

This is the default Beastmen stance. You get a chance to ambush just by attacking someone normally.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Completed my Von Carstein playthrough yesterday. I finished securing my Western flank by burning every dwarf hold to the ground and then split my stacks, sent two North to finish off pesky Estalia and the remnants of the Empire and sent the other four south to protect against the rebuilding dwarves. All in all about 315 turns with Chaos defeated around 175ish.

Really fun campaign and really fun units. Gotta decide what I'm going to play next, but I'm leaning towards a human faction. Haven't done either an empire or breatonnian campaign yet.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

PlushCow posted:

Sometimes I like the blood DLC for the carnage, other times I don't because it gets too gratuitous and all you see is a blood texture instead of pretty armor and models etc etc. My video card is old so graphics wise that may only be a personal problem.

Personally, I love it when Vlad enters a battle all clean and by the end of it he looks like he waded through a veritable lake of blood.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Hitting a triple stack of dwarves with a triple stack including Vlad and Manfred and launching the longest TW battle I've ever played. It owned.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

If this is from release then you're missing the bug that made Kholek take up half the screen and therefore I give this a 5 at best :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Khokek wasn't there. I fought him a couple of turns later IIRC.

I know I'm just messing.

This was always hilarious though:

• Locked thread