Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

RentACop posted:

It's hard to say what they'll do with Lustria though, because its a whole bunch of lizards and then a big rat city, which which seems like it'd get tedious. And then lorewise you've got pirates of both the undead and human variety, and then there's Estalian conquistadors, and then some orcs, miscellaneous native tribes, Amazons, probably something I'm forgetting, but those are all pretty small as described and stuff like the Amazons have official lore that'ss basically 'they exist' and then some fan stuff so I can't image they'll ever show up outside of an event.

They have some units that you can pull from mordheim's Lustria expansion and worse comes to worse you could make their entire faction a giant bloodbowl team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, its kinda weird how that ended up. By default you'd think its the Empire, but the lore goes out of its way to say that its actually the Bretonnians. They actually use cannon in the navy too, if I remember right?

Gotta remember, it's Germany and France. If Spain were more important in this game, they'd probably be the big ones, and if Britain weren't 900AD Britain they'd probably go with them.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

V for Vegas posted:

Isn't there an island of Albion off the coast of the Wasteland though? I would have thought GW would stick an English faction on there.

Yeah, 900 AD non-Ango-Saxon celtic, woad wearing Brits.

Oops, I mean BC.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 20, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Vlex posted:

I do like the event that allows you to snub the Ulthuan trade delegation to Loren. Makes total sense since trade with outsiders is rare in my games (I don't build the office buildings, really).

IIRC, that was the canon response to that event, it happened in the lore.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How do woodelves hold up in multiplayer or is a large part of the "OP" being the techs and stacking bonuses the player can get up to?

They're pretty good, especially if your opponent doesn't know what you're up to but they kind of get crapped on by people that can take tough, low cost infantry that just outlast them all.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

fnordcircle posted:

The only one I recall is people being upset that wood elf archers would lose toe to toe with dwarf archers, but I mean....what else are you going to do to keep dwarves from being totally bent over by Wood Elves?

They lost toe to toe to every archer unit in the game when you consider cost. I think the only ones you could expect them to beat were the savage orc bows and maybe the beastman ones. They did less damage against units that were just standing there too. I think they might be over buffed now but it's a hard thing to guess at with skirmishers since they're pretty counterable.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Verranicus posted:

I got a big pile of Christmas cash and had planned to get this game and all of the DLC, are they all worth the price point? A little writeup on each of them and the cool poo poo they bring would be cool.

Unless you play multiplayer, my opinion would be grabbing the base game, playing one of those campaigns a little to get a feel for it, then get the expansion for the faction you actually like, and if you've done that and still want more, look at getting them then. It's not the sort of game where you really need to grab everything at once.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Nanomashoes posted:

The only good part of the End Times is that Grimgor starts marching east and doesn't stop until he hits Japan and along the way he destroys chaos so hard they leave the east forever.

I sure hope it's a typhoon that finally stops him.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Night10194 posted:

Then they write Archaon killing him easily to avenge what they had to retcon, because in the old Storm of Chaos Grimgor just punched him the gently caress out, declared he wasn't worth killing, and moonwalked off.

Which is the appropriate reaction to Archaon.

End times continues to disappoint. What a surprise.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fauxtool posted:

ogres are gonna be so cool. Is there a sisters of battle equivalent in WFB? They should skip that one.

I think the closest I can think of is dwarves, so a bit late on that front.

(heavily armoured, somewhat tough faction that uses more fire than is normal with strange priesty powers that aren't normal magic/psionics)

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Trujillo posted:

Anyone have experience beating the usual wood elf death star (spamming eternal guard, treekkin, durthu) as VC? I feel like I've tried everything.

Thought pit of shades would be a good counter. Used it twice on their whole balled up army and it did a lot of damage but still wasn't enough. Does spirit leeching durthu work?

Keep your army away as long as possible, spirit leeching whoever has lore of life in that composition works. Killing Durthu is harder and doesn't have as much impact over the battle as a whole.

Of course the problem is you're likely to get stuck in a fight before spirit leech kills them, but you are against a hard counter strategy.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

beergod posted:

gently caress the microing and keyboard shortcuts make me feel so dumb lol I don't know if I'm cut out for this game, which looks loving awesome tbh

Just set your formations really well and you can often just click the group and issue an attack order. Works in more situations than you'd think and it then lets you just focus on spells or heroes as necessary.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Captain Beans posted:

Done me pretty well unless they go big time 4+ on tree kin. Make sure you are summoning tons of trash to bog down his good units, pull out your grave guard and have them kill off easier targets. Wight king exists to further complicate who they want to net kill, and to help run down woodelf casters with lore of life regen spells (very popular). Combo his charge with a spirit leach off the vamp lady to nuke out any casters or waystalker heroes.

Yeah, this is why I just go big on tree kin in that match up these days. Gonna be tricky dealing with them once all the undead players actually start to use necromancers if you're still trying to run an archer line.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

LordAbaddon posted:

So i've been having fun with my beastmen campaign running around and making GBS threads all over the empire (it might even be the first TW campaign i finish :dance:), and it got me wondering. How are beastmen in the multiplayer, I haven't spent much time on that part of the game but i'm liking the faction enough that i'd like to mash it into armies controlled by other people.

They feel pretty middle of the road right now with Morghur being their biggest redeeming feature. They aren't terrible but their lack of armour makes it a bit easier to predict them and beat them up as a result. They also struggle a little against armoured armies.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Pendent posted:

drat, I was really hoping for a rehash of Shogun's Avatar system.

I'm a bit curious, but how many people came in and played Shogun 2's Avatar system well into the game's life when most people had capped level units and generals? I figure that a lot of those new players were getting crushed since they couldn't really be matched against many other new players, I'm wondering who wants another Avatar conquest mode, people who jumped into Shogun 2 day one or the general populace.

Because you can win against players with a capped general with a new general, it's just unpleasant as poo poo.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Kainser posted:

CA decided to represent the hellcannon being an unpredictable insane demon that might end up firing on your own troops if it isn't being tight control by making the chaos dwarf crew unbreakable. It's super dumb.

And all the 'free spells' like Arrow or the ones Orion has needs to have a limited number of uses or some other limitation.

They removed misfire on all of the cannons in the game. Normally they explode one in thirty-six shots. The cannon was still supposed to be useful without the crew, but they didn't model that so instead they guaranteed it could always fire by letting the crew be unbreakable. I kind of prefer this over them making it a powerful melee monster that can crush things by itself.

The free spells that don't take mana are balanced around them having longer than average cooldown times, especially compared to most spells. They could make them even longer, but I think if someone is using more than 4 arrows of Kurnuous on you, you just aren't doing anything to hunt down the waystalkers or you're camping and thinking that you shouldn't be punished for it. The Waystalker and Orion are both sort of balanced around their abilities as well since both are expensive and have no typical combat ability compared to a normal lord or captain.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

The Lone Badger posted:

Can someone link me to a video that shows how to properly use cannon / organ guns? Every time I try them out they seem hugely inferior to just having more crossbows.

In most contexts cannons are vastly inferior to crossbows. The cannons are more area denial and forced engagement, forcing an opponent to close on your terms. They can also make it so that cavalry has to approach from certain angles or get busted up really badly. But once the lines are close together and you're looking at pure damage for value? That's where crossbows are far stronger. So cannons should be used more to fill out a specific strategy rather than the goal of out killing crossbows.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

jokes posted:

I'd prepurchase every single goddamn DLC for this stupid goddamn game, and CA knows it. This is such a cash cow for them, I'm glad they actually care about making the game dope and cool and also are eager to add more content.

I think they're just glad that they have an IP that turns nerds into crack addicts. I'm definitely on board with it.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I wish there was an undead or skeleton unit who would wear skeleton masks. Or alternatively living human masks. Like they want to look like the living but it's obvious that it's fake.

That's more a 40K thing with the Flayed ones.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Night10194 posted:

What's kinda funny is if you read what little fluff he had, Finubar was actually a pretty cool guy. An explorer and sailor originally sent to go gawk at the mud huts of the humans, he instead found the Empire and others had developed and argued for greater involvement and alliance with them. He was partly behind the elven move to found the colleges of magic and helped solidify elf support for the Empire when Magnus the Pious reunited the place a couple centuries before Total Warhams. I'm kinda not sure why they never did anything with the guy.

Because he's an actual politician that's good at pushing papers whereas the leaders of every other faction got there by being able to bench press the largest ox.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Ammanas posted:

successful & fun iterations of total war naval combat: freakin zero

don't tempt fate

Gonna be honest, I had fun throwing torpedoes in FoTS and I really liked watching ships explode in Empire. Other than the cheats on legendary level naval battles, I liked the naval combat in both those games.

Also, finally the High elves, but all we got to see were tier 1 infantry and some eagles. I wanna see my flying chariots with siege engines.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
I wouldn't mind signing up for the tournament, but since work is flogging me like a dead horse if there's like, 40 players or something I'm going to drop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
I've been waiting for High Elves since bloody Mark of Chaos was a flop. Finally.

• Locked thread