Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
What's the MP meta like these days? Still crossbows and demigryphs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure how Brets conquer fortified settlements at all. Just siege them out?

Wave after wave of peasants

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ZearothK posted:

For the cheers joy of Games Workshop rules for, say, a Bretonnia Vs Tau match-up.

Just write your own rules dude.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sasgrillo posted:

Is there any reason in particular why the Empire tech tree is a pile of expensive useless garbage?

For +5 leadership on some cavalry units you need a Tier 4 settlement, 15000 gold for the stables and then 15 turns to actually research it. And even if you bum rushed it would still take dozens of turns to get the required prerequisites for.

Some of them are pretty ok like the +10 armor for State Troopers, except Greatswords because :shrug:. But most of them are so tight fisted in their boons and take such an unnecessarily long time to unlock that it feels like someone made a mistake in designing it.

Also since I'm bitching, Empire Offices suck too.

-10% in the local region? CA this power creep must end.

I think this post is probably a tad unfair. Some of the techs are meh that is true but others are awesome.

Playing on hard for example is -5 to leadership but you start with a tech that can give your guys +5 in just 6 turns.

All the port techs are great for income and growth, all the state troop techs are good. The reason greats words don't get extra armour is because they already wear full platemail.

The -10 cost in the local region is also fairly good if you use it properly. Save yourself 400 gold by queueing a building in Altdorf, then trot your guy across the border to Nuln and save yourself 400 there, then trot across to Kemperbad and save it there too.

I will admit I don't actually bother doing this because I'm lazy, but you do appreciate -10% build cost nation wide is super powerful for a free upgrade at level 1 right?

The fact that the techs are tied to buildings is probably the most annoying bit of the Empire tech tree to be honest.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
What's the key for beating wood elves? I've only fought them twice so far and both times they have loving slaughtered me. The first time as empire and the second as Bretonnia

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I liked the rant about how terrible the DLC is despite the fact this game was 100% fun out of the door and you don't even need the DLC to fight the races they added.

So yeah in a way you're basically paying money to play the mini campaigns and unlock the races as playable, but frankly thats more due to the problem of them being generous than trying to gently caress over customers. If beastmen and wood elves weren't added to the grand campaign and you needed the DLC to add them and their regions in the DLC seem "worth it" more but also you're giving less free stuff to players.

Maybe it's because I played the tabletop game but basically paying like £18 or whatever it is for an entire army you can use as much as you want seems OK. You can also not buy it if you never want to play as wood elves or beastment, which is what I have done.

The only one where there's sort of a point is the chaos warriors because they are a huge part of the inital game, yeah pre-orders got the pack for free, but I still think that lock them behind a paywall when it shipped with the game was kind of lovely. If they wanted to reward pre-orders they should have added bonus legendary lords.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Everyone digging at the Bretonnia peasants being poor thing keeps talking about that loving pig and ignoring the two loving gold coins.

£1 in 1751 is approximately worth £204 in today's money.

If you're sitting there thinking "that difference isn't that much" skilled journeyman like a blacksmith or whatever would earn 18 shillings a week, which is nearly £1. So they earned about £3.50 a month, or the equivalent of £590 a month in today's money. This is someone with an expensive skill by the way, not some loser farmer pulling turnips out of the ground.

So if you scale that back even further can you not see how, possibly, giving a peasant two fat gold coins is probably a poo poo ton of money?

Honestly I reckon that peasant was super excited until he was like murdered for the money or bought so much alcohol he died drinking it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Bretonnia's distrust of firearms on the field of battle also has an amusingly simple root cause, or at least it did in one army book I read: so a century or so back, a Grail Knight decided he would saunter down to the Empire and seek out their greatest champion to duel and demonstrate Bretonnia's superiority. Said champion accepted, and the moment the Grail Knight guy drew his sword the Imperial drew a pistol and shot the knight in the face.

Bretonnia promptly outlawed firearms as cowardly, unchivalrous weapons.

One of my favourite WHFB moments was from a novel where there's this huge bloody battle going on between the Empire and Chaos Warriors. The Chaos Warriors have been forced to cross a river to fight the Empire, and the Empire General has arranged all his spearman on the river bank just stabbing down into the Warriors as they emerge from the river turning it into a killing zone.

The Chaos Champion decides to do something about this so he breaks through the line with a group of chaos Knights and heads for the General who is on a hill watching the battle from a far.

The General staff is like "Uhh Sir? Shall we flee?" and the General just tells them to send in some spearmen.

So the Knights kill these spearmen and continue towards the General. So he sends in some more. This happens like twice more.

In the end all the Knights are dead and the chaos champion is beaten and bloody with rends in their armour and stuff, but they reach the hill in front of the general and bellow a challenge.

The General just looks at him and says something like "Hmm, good show", then draws a pistol and shoots the campion dead.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

NewMars posted:

You know, this just makes me think: Why is there no chaos unit with guns? They buy artillery from the Chaos Dwarfs easy enough. Use them for maintenance and ammunition, ect. So why not a regiment of chosen handcannoneers?

Because the average chaos warrior is 8ft tall and capable of tearing a human apart with their bare hands and encased in so much armour they shrug off all but the most determined of attacks.

They also don't have any interest in ranged weapons like at all. I've always viewed hell cannons as a grudging acceptance that sometimes there are buildings you need to not exist any more and getting chaos warriors to destroy it with hammers would simply take too long.

Plus they live in the chaos wastes, probably not a lot of saltpeter up there to make gunpowder with.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Ogres are mercenaries though that have no qualms with using massive cannons as portable weapons if it gets them paid.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Skaven also have warp lock weapons like flint lock weapons but with warp stone. It's usually heroes with those though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Regarding Skaven I think looking at the tactical battles and asking what makes them really different is a bit of a non starter. I mean how is Bretonnia really different from an empire army of state troops, cannons, and empire Knights? None really, they both play largely the same.

Key differentiating factors in the tabletop just aren't factors in TWW. I mean off the top of my head:

- There are no dispel dice meaning Warrior Priests and the dwarf rune guys miss a huge part of their function
- There's a hard limit in the number of units you can have in the army, meaning armies like Orcs, Skaven, and even Empire lose out at late game to elite armies like chaos warriors if you assume both armies are built of "standard" units (i.e. Empire isn't 20 steam tanks)
- The morale system is entirely different meaning things such as the ranks bonuses and leadership bonuses for Skaven are sort of irrelevant

I think instead it makes more sense to think about the tactical in combination with their campaign bonuses.

In terms of tactical you can do things like magnify leadership based on number of Skaven near them, you can make their unit sizes twice as big, and they have their own unique array of war machines and magic. You can give Skaven heroes some sort of flee ability that basically means if they are nearly dead they can leg it faster, running through units and then going stealthy to make sure they actually survive the battle.

On the campaign map they can move underground, you could give them follower style armies like the Orcs to represent their overwhelming numbers.

I would say the coolest thing to do would be have some sort of special Skaven attack on a city, so like if Beastmen or Wood Elves attack you then you get some sort of special wood battle, if its Skaven it would be good to see a city where sinkholes have opened all across the city and the Skaven are pouring out of them, and your job is less to defend the wall and more to protect the town centre and drive the Skaven back into the holes.

If all you consider is 1 vs 1 battles then sure, but then all the existing factions aren't hugely different from each other with the exception of certain gimmicks (unique magic, lots of flying units, no cavalry etc)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Captain Beans posted:

I played through a co-op game as vampire and one of the empire factions had their eternal unkillable ruler with the insane name of Van Von Volkvan. Well I actually don't know if he was their ruler but we decided he was, as he never seemed to stay permanently dead and his name was so ridiculous.

I've named a character after him in ever campaign since.

If that name is randomly generated then Games Workshop will be pissed off they didn't think of it first.

I mean in 40K they have an Ork named after Margaret Thatcher.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Razing a city could generate corruption and also a corpse pile for raise dead, I'm not sure how hard it is to mod horde factions and buildings though.

Pretty sure chaos razed cities spread corruption.

Vampire ones don't because vampirism corruption comes from vampires running the show and drinking the blood of peasants and poo poo.

I think razing a settlement contributing to the casualties for raise dead would be good though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Skaven would be a good opportunity to further develop the vassal mechanic. The ultimate goal being to Unite all the clans as your vassals and destroy everything before your vassals backstab you.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gamerofthegame posted:

Alternatively they're all going to be as basic and unimaginative as the original four and then chumps like Estalia will be hella cool.

Why assume team a learned from team b? :smith:

I don't think that's a fair description of the original four. The original four are the "easy" ones because they are normal for a given value of normal. They talk territory and have their own cities etc.

Chaos was driven to be different as they don't take cities, Beastmen and Woodelves needed to be different as Lore wise they are supposed to stick to specific regions of the map.

If we assume things like raising the dead etc is as interesting as a mechanic can go before it's not normal, High Elves don't really require an interesting mechanic and neither do Dark Elves really. Nor do Lizardmen or Tomb Kings really. Sure all of them may have a different basic element but fundamentally they are all interested with capturing cities and taking ground.

The only ones that have a weird existence in the Lore that means interesting mechanics are needed is Skaven and Ogres.

Sure the Empire are "normal" as in they don't have anything weird going for them but the other three all have unique mechanics, and frankly the normalness of the Empire is probably its USP.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I got what he meant, I'm saying I don't think the original four were unimaginative and boring, because compared to the traditional Total War formula of "dudes with weapon and shield" they are all pretty interesting and different to play as.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

greenskins are kinda basic but they have a lot of flavor to them. dwarves and empire are kind of the basic starters so of course they're pretty normal. and vampires are one of the more out there races so calling them boring is pretty lol

Greenskins have fightiness and the Waaagh mechanic, as well as the underpass movement and battles. Dwarfs have the underpass stuff, the grudges, and have crazy artillery and poo poo (flamethrowers? Lol).

Empire are pretty basic, they have the offices system but that's pretty dull. I think the fact they are so normal is fairly unique. There was a danger the Bretonnians would just be Empire but with slightly better knights and poo poo infantry but they avoided that with the chivalry and the economy side and resisted the temptation of creating good Bretonnia foot infantry.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gamerofthegame posted:

I disagree, though, at least in comparison; Greenskins for example have a fightiness mechanic and that about caps what's going on. Bretonia, however, are about "equal" towards the other factions, have their own unique victory conditions and play style and events and everything else that isn't just paint the map - you can win without taking a single province, even, and that's pretty loving rad.

Vampire counts, Greenskins and Dwarves are just kinda TAKE OVER THE WOOOOLRD, empire basically comes out to that too for now as that's a fair bit of the map.

Sure but i guess my point is the original four aren't really boring and unimaginative. Play Rome Total War and tell me how different it is to play as the Celts or the Romans, two entirely different military philosophies really, and then compare that to the difference between say Empire and Greenskins.

I agree the DLC races are a bit funkier again with them going another step beyond the original 4, but I don't think that means the original 4 are boring or unimaginative that's all. The Greenskins Waaaagh and the underway movement and battles are interesting twists, and none of the four really play like each other on the battlefield (if you ignore the fact Empire can basically be anyone).

I mean I even agree with your hope the other races are more unique like the DLC ones (though I'd argue wood elves and beastmen are very alike), but I don't think that have to be. If High Elves were just the High Elf army and their win condition was to kill all the dark elves and then chaos they would probably still feel very different on the battlefield to the other races.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 21, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
If everyone can recruit 1 hero of each type though they sort to cancel each other out.

One if the issues I have with the early game and heroes is that some factions have to invest a lot to guarantee the one they really need.

Like Empire gets some stuff early on that gives you a hero, but what you probably want is a witch hunter, as it can counter other heroes. Warrior Priests and Wizards are nice, but not hugely helpful early on or are just used in combat. Empire Captains I think are largely pointless but the same applies.

To get a Witch Hunter you need a level 4 city which is an investment of about 7,000 gold plus the growth, and then on top of that you need the second level of temple which I think is 6,000 gold.

I don't think any of this is game breaking, but I think heroes are probably the weakest game play element. Some factions have amazingly useful heroes on the campaign map (banshees and witchhunters) but others basically only have combat heroes or heroes that aren't good at killing other heroes (Dwarfs, Chaos, Brettonia).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Yes, and you will easily surpass that. Think about it, your net income is normally several thousand each turn, and you spend all of that on *something*.

Speak for yourself, my net income isnt several thousand a turn until I've already basically won the game :colbert:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Does auto resolve work differently on high difficulty settings by the way?

I was playing an empire campaign on very hard and I found that I was losing every time I auto resolved a fight that was only very slightly in my favour (yeah I know I was being lazy).

I'm sure that last time I was playing this game months ago I would have won those, but I'm not sure if it's confirmation bias or difficulty or changes to auto resolve in general.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I maintain that getting sieged against by the AI, which means bad autoresolve odds, is the most fun one will have with this game.

Just had an awesome battle against archaeon, sigvald and their five hellcannons.

Yeah seiges are another element of the game I think is a weak spot.

Like I can very easily hold off a much larger army than the game thinks I can handle, which is an issue because the AI only attacks when it thinks it can win. If I can consistently defeat say a full stack of Norsemen with a settlement with walls, then it means basically the AI keeps attacking me where a player would simply go "Nope, I've learnt from that".

The other issue is of course the super cheese tactic of simply putting everything on one side of the map, taking out the tower and walking forward unmolested.

I guess the problem is that they can't have the entire of Altdorf in the middle of the map like they could with say Empire Total War

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
What I want to know is in all these total war games you can hire all these heroes which are supposed to be individual advisors and fighters who massively contribute to your country.

Where are my accountant heroes to help me improve my net income and write off my assassination costs as business expenses?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
In terms of empire wizards is there a consensus on the best?

I know hero sniping is still a thing, but I have no idea is the life, beast, or shadows wizards are any good.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Well there are two strategies to grow economically aren't there?

One is to minimise the number of armies and units you have and play defensively, investing your money into your economic buildings.

The other is to have as many units as you can possibly field and conquer the poo poo out of everyone and take their gold.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Sure, but after you conquer the poo poo out of people, you really don't want those armies to be sitting around, eating upkeep. Recruitment is pretty fast so you are generally way better off keeping your armies small and relying on garrison buildings, until you're ready and can recruit a big army quickly and have a big, decisive war.

ABC

Always

Be

Conquering

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Bloodly posted:

Has Warhammer done away with Free Upkeep Units and such? I'm watching this topic, but my experience is only of Med 2.

I don't think there are any 0 upkeep units but I could be wrong. Some are dirt cheap though, like zombies don't cost much in upkeep, but every general you have increases upkeep costs too so that's the most expensive bit

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

4th Horseman posted:

Alien Isolation: war hammer edition is something I'd play the shoot out of. Also I wish vermin tide was expanded for all races. I don't care how dumb the lore reason for it would be.

Anyone know if the ladder is global? I hear Turin say he's around 100.

You're allowed to say poo poo on the internet by the way.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I quite like deathclaw as a mount, mainly because rear charges or quickly taking out artillery is pretty cool. You can do that on a pegasus I guess but it's not as cool as it's a sissy white horse.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Those aren't your skeletons Mannfred! Where did you even get those!? :raise:

Is that from a mod? I mean tomb kings aren't that different from VC I guess so can't be that tough to mod.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tiler Kiwi posted:

auto resolve over-favors chariots and artillery, as well

or at least doesn't understand that having an entire army of nothing but cannons is a bad thing

To be fair I'm increasingly finding chariots to be a total bitch to deal with. Especially since Chaos always feels 6-8 units of chariots seems appropriate. Not only do they smash through my lines but the fuckers just don't die either.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Aurubin posted:

In terms of landmasses, maybe more an N shape? With the campaign being a race for the Vortex, I wonder perhaps if they paid the factions off as far as immediate antagonists are concerned; Lizardmen vs Skaven, Elf vs Elf.

It all depends on what they mean by "Southlands." Everything up to Nehekara? The tip with the Lizardmen city and nothing else? I dunno if GW gave them lease to make poo poo up but I don't recall much written about Soutlands locations outside of that city and Karak Zorn.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking.

If you look at the full map of the warhammer fantasy world it's basically just the real world with different names.

So if you look at a real map I think it's going to be Eastern half of North America, Central America, and the top of South America, the ocean (which had Ulthuan in it), and West and North Africa.

I don't think the southlands will go all the way down to south africa and I'd be surprised if the include the entirety of the new world.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they really blow against not-infantry. monsters, cavalry, anything it can't just knock over repeatedly. high AP damage is good, as well, but they're also not fans of being shot at.

like this fight i won despite being rather short on horsies since they just suck a bunch when dealing when them.

I actually have more respect for an entire chariot gimmick army than for just having 8 of them

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Krazyface posted:

What the gently caress is the vortex, by the way? Also where is it?

Think of it like a big siphon which sucks out a load of magic. It's based in the High Elf island and it basically exists because long before Humans even existed, the Lizardmen and the High Elves needed to save the world from daemons, and the vortex was needed to reduce the amount of magic kicking around and banish the daemon army.

If the Vortex is destabilised, the world would be lousy with excess magic and daemons would be able to just invade again.

Oh, it also keeps the High Elf island afloat.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

I don't know if it's a mod I've got or if the trait system is just dumb... but how does murdering chaos and executing captives of Chaos get my Arch-Lector the "Likes Chaos" trait? That sounds like... the opposite

I've just viewed it as by constantly fighting against them he's grown to understand them and possibly even develop a grudging respect for them.

Like some officer fresh from the academy or whatever would hate the undead but as he fights them and learns about them he's like "Hey, who isn't tempted by the idea of immortality, am I right?"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they better release skaven details tomorrow or the horned rat will punish them for disregarding his most holy of days, world rat day

Surely the details should be released on the 13th

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Aurubin posted:

It'd be kinda neat if they took the cooler aspects of The End Times and implemented them into a mini campaign or something. Playing as Ungrim while he was the Incarnate of Fire as an example, his beard and helmet/hair burst into flames. Karl Franz turns into Storm from the X-Men, and Malekith becomes living shadow.

Now make it so Chaos can actually lose, and it becomes catharsis for a lot of crusty nerds.

I mean the campaign is the End Times but without the stupid poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Josef bugman posted:

Lets not say things we can't take back.

Because I will fight and die for the sheer hillarity of Chaos sucking so badly that they can't push over the first castle in their way and Archaeon the ever failure getting his arse kicked by Grimgor.

The End Times was still worse to be honest, if only because it pointlessly killed off the WFB universe as we knew it.

I mean GW's list of worst campaigns basically goes:

1) WFB End Times
2) WFB Storm of Chaos
3) 40K 13th Black Crusade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Josef bugman posted:

Why did people not like Storm of Chaos? It had the Good guys put together a really convincing team up and beat the ever loving hell out of Chaos.

Because watching an MMA fighter beat the gently caress out of a kid in a wheelchair and then see the referee declare that the wheelchair kid nearly won the fight is not fun.

• Locked thread