Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Been playing on Very Hard, and I found the Dwarves incredibly simple compared to Empire thus far. A full stack of Warriors/Quarrlers can beat anything the orcs throw at you, you can use underway interception like lightning battle, and Grimgor is your only real existential threat for the first little bit. Take out Gunbad and the orcs only come from the south, get a couple extra stacks and you can roll up all the badlands pretty easy in time. Especially if you keep Karak Azul afloat to keep them busy.

Empire has to figure out who likes them and who doesn't based on random AI traits, throw gifts at everyone, and constantly hope they don't get backstabbed while in a current war already. I keep running into problems where I get new missions to attack new enemies (which you can ignore, but still), or one of the Bretonnian randomly declares war on me, or the Norscans roll up with 6 stacks down the river to Altdorf at turn 55. Empire takes a lot more luck to really pull off the powerhouse the Dwarfs can be, at least at high difficulty.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

Speaking of speaking of mods, does anyone have a good guide for making them? I've seen a lot of people grumble about the building requirements for units (slayers! :argh:) and I'd like to try to make a mod that removes the requirements but multiplies the cost by however many buildings are needed to unlock them.

1. Get PFM from TWC
2. Open a new mod, add the table main_units from data.pack, delete the entires in the additional_building_required field, and double the recruitment_cost.
3. Delete every row entry but the ones you changed, and name the table to something like trisk_data_core.
4. Save it
5. Make sure it's enabled, you'll probably have to turn out of date mods on

Thats it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Speaking of mods, it would be nice if advice-givers mentioned any mods they were using before giving advice (difficulty level is a good idea too). There can be a big difference playing the base campaigns vs campaigns with no enemy agent actions, super powered spells, settlements that can build T4 buildings, occupy any settlements regardless of race, etc etc.

Ehhhh I question that my T4 minor mod makes any kind of difference to difficulty. All it does is allow you to build a couple buildings in provinces outside your capital, all of which you could already build in your capital if you wanted. The turn timer and building costs are the same as a T4 major. The economy buff is pretty minor as empire doesn't even have tier 4 econ buildings and the dwarfs sure as gently caress don't need them to make a ton of money as it is.

The hard part of TW is the early/mid game where you aren't a powerhouse, and T4 minor settlements aren't a thing that will change that. Spells and poo poo though, I agree.

Perestroika posted:

On that note, how exactly do Melee Attack and Melee Defense interact? Since both stats tend to fall between 1 and 100 for almost every unit I'm tempted to think it might work through straight hit/miss percentages somehow, but I really have no idea. I can never tell whether it'd actually be worth it to buff a Lord's or Hero's Melee Attack up from 60-something, or if I'd already be running into diminishing returns at that point.

We can't, it's one of the things CA isn't super transparent about as it's a core mechanic they like being hidden somewhat, but yeah you do run into diminishing returns as you widen the gap. It's still reasonably valuable, but if you can get weapon damage or pure HP instead, do that first.

For defense I go: +HP , then armor, then melee defense.
For attack: I'd probably say speed, then weapon damage, then melee attack, then charge bonuses

I base it on the percentage of time those traits will be valuable; i.e. I consider HP paramount because HP is always active; and more is always good. armor next since it effects melee and ranged hits (but AP bypasses it, hence the downgrade), and then melee defense (unless you feel its too low to begin with).

I value speed a lot because you do a lot of loving moving in this game, and time to engage can be pretty important.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I do agree that not-France should really have all of their 2 province zones merged into 3s, it just flows better that way. It's really evident when you play Dwarves over the Empire and you start actually collecting full provinces. It doesn't need to be everywhere, but the system does seem to make more sense when you have a couple extra building slots available per province, otherwise they need to be far more tailored then really necessary.

For instance the Bastonne province just west of Reikland has an armory available, if you ever want to use that you need to eat essentially the only open ended building slot available there, since you'll probably want gates until you clear the entire west, and you'll probably want the iron mine or clothier for commerce. Now you have to move the barracks to the capital to get the armory recruiting bonus in that province, where if it just had a third town you could throw it there in the free slot.

Is province stuff handled in the startpos or the db tables? I could probably fix this myself now that I think about it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My idea for Dwarves getting a cav type unit was to make Rangers that use decently high AP throwing axes and run around as fast or a little faster than Slayers do. They'd lose the shields and most of the armor along the way, but they'd basically be your flanking force if you really wanted one.

Every implementation I've seen on the workshop is just giving them more crossbows and vanguard deployment, like some sort of boring ranged miners.

I'm also making a Foot Reiksguard for myself but I've held off because I have the urge to make OP so I can just replace all the other foot infantry choices with them. I don't want to do that yet, since my empire campaigns aren't going awesome yet and that feels like blatant cheating at this point :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

LGD posted:

hey, the gyrocopters are kind of like Dwarf cavalry

which is honestly one of the biggest issues I have with the Dwarfs, too much of their roster is locked away behind very inflexible Tier 4 and especially Tier 5 buildings, including most of the more interesting and game changing units, so you hardly get to play with them before you finish things up

The Dwarfs would probably benefit a lot from a turn timer reduction on the higher tier of buildings. Waiting 5-6 turns AFTER you had to wait for the proper growth means you get these units incredibly late in comparison to most. Like I had reikland almost maxed out by turn 60, whereas the Silver Road didn't quite finish until like turn 90.

This includes my tier 4 settlements though, which admitted eat up even more growth time. That being said, Reikland was almost maxed out by turn 60, with the same tier 4s.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

And I can't tell you how many times I've seen people bemoaning that in casual surfing, and usually mentioning the mountain goats you saw Dwarves riding on in the Hobbit.

The Tabletop Rangers are both of these things though.

Yeah I read up and saw that, but more crossbows is kinda boring and throwing axes have a unique feel to them as dwarfs, as well as range limitations that make them not just another ranged unit.

By running fast and throwing some decently strong axes at things they actually feel unique. The Dwarfs absolutely lack a skirmishing force, and this can fill that role without being outlandish, like riding rams. I probably would give them vanguard deployment anyway.

It was probably Wargame that did this to me, but I really don't like units added for the sake of "options" because it feels kinda weird and wasteful if you have 4 units that end up doing the same thing slightly different. If you can add units that add or change a unit dynamic without messing up the feel of the faction, that's greatly preferable.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

I like Crossbows from a fluffy perspective (these guys are rugged survivalists that carry great-axes, shields, throwing axes, hand axes, and crossbows) but I agree that throwing axes are the most unique thing about them.

Another thing that's missing is that Ironbreakers can replace their shields with a brace of "drakefire" pistols. Admittedly pistols were garbage on the tabletop and they're garbage in TW:WH so far, but I hope something's done to make them more effective in future.

Yeah, basically the idea in my head is they run around at ~45 which is 1.5 regular infantry speed like Slayers, with 30-40 armor (leather) and mediocre melee stats, but 5-6 volleys of throwing axes that do like 25 AP and 15 regular damage baseline. Basically, if they get behind the infantry line, they can just pelt motherfuckers with axes, like a phantom cav charge. They'd only have 45-55 range like marauder throwing axes though, so a real ranged unit is still a problem for them (but they can run those motherfuckers down).

I'd tie them to a new miltary support building in provinces with lumber, something like "Hunting Grounds", since the dwarfs get very little from timber as it is. Maybe throw a quarreler xp boost there trait in there too.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Depending on the +% of income bonuses you get in a province it can give you quite a bit of extra money, but I agree that even without the T4 settlements the dwarfs should not have too much trouble earning money, especially with unique buildings like the brighstone mine in Mt. Gunbad (1500 income a turn, just incredible). T4 also lets you build the top tier public order buildings (or technically the better growth buildings, but I see no reason to ever invest that highly in growth anyway).

On one hand I often get annoyed by the building limitations and want to install that mod to open up my recruiting options, but on the other I realize it sort of forces some interesting decisions and allows me to change up my playstyle from game to game to help keep things fresh. For example in my orc campaign I currently have to choose between trolls & giants, wolves & spiders, or big 'un boar boyz & chariots. If I had T4 buildings I could build all 4 without losing anything since I would be able to get the giant spider and big 'un boars in any settlement.

However as far as your mod is concerned, as long as the AI can also build T4 buildings in settlements the recruiting thing should balance out, it just might help factions like the dwarfs a bit more since they have a T4 money building option that the Empire and Orcs don't have (I have yet to play VC so I'm not sure about them).

True, but in my Dwarf campaign, to put it in perspective, a fully fleshed out Mt Gunbad made more money than any of my other 4 town provinces, even with T4 settlement buildings. The income jump is there, but its not so much as to really be noticeable, unless you exploit it with heros like you mentioned, but the dwarfs really don't get much value from that. I was able to get the 60k income per turn achievement while 2/3s of my provinces were still only T3 minors. The Dwarfs just poo poo gold after a while.

I mostly agree about the added complexity of recruiting, my major complaint was it seems to want you to move armies around to build this perfect fighting force, moving from sector to sector. I found that process just ate up way too much loving time in my opinion, since you already have to wait so long for the dwarfs to get tech'd and built up to build those units in the first place. Getting the silver road maxed out wasn't too bad, but getting the other 3 provinces around it with the buff buildings in an attempt to build this perfect fighting force was loving tedious and awful, which drove me to make the mod in the first place.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Hmmm, so I'm fleshing out the settlements mod, and theres a table about downgrading settlements... for some reason only bretonnia and VC actually have a downgrade path to the previous settlement level. Every other faction does not, they just stay at the same settlement level.

That's loving weird. I wonder if it has to do with sacking provinces and removing garrisons? Why is it only brt and VC? What the gently caress, CA?

Wallet you were always better at this than me, any ideas?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

The hilarious thing is that the brace of pistols doesn't/wouldn't replace the blasting charges, but the Ironbreaker's shield. I don't even know how you would deal with that much fire coming downrange.

Honestly though my solution to how wimpy pistols feel so far in the game would be to up the inaccuracy and the damage (because I don't know if damage falloff is modeled). Pistoleers might be worthwhile as an intense micro unit if you had to turn off Skirmish and get them close enough to jam their pistols up the opponent's nose for appreciable armor-piercing damage.

Well in the files in would replace the blasting charges because they only get 1 melee and 1 ranged weapon option in the tables. The shield is just an aura effect added in a different part, even if you removed it from the variantmesh, which is the graphic for the unit.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

You'd have to test it but I wouldn't be surprised if that table was bullshit; there's a gently caress-load of tables that do absolutely nothing, that are relics from past games or aborted mechanics or whatever—there's still one in there defining artillery models for howitzers and poo poo. It's possible that you could once downgrade your own buildings or something and they axed it, so those junctions are no longer required. The downgrade junctions only show up for those two factions, but everyone does have upgrades from ruins to a tier one capital building, so it isn't as if the ruined versions don't exist for them.

Yeah I changed the scheme for my dwarf building to see if it let you demolish down a level, like Attila, but it did nothing at all. At this point I just copied their scheme and left it alone.

It really is funny seeing database tables from shogun 2 mixed in though, like god drat get it together over there.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Their little DLC roadmap image thing included some new units, along with specialty units in the Legendary Lord packs. I hope we do see some cool stuff tacked on.

It seems like they got crafty this time too, they added the new Chaos stuff from the warrior pack in a new table, probably because they couldn't actually keep people from getting it otherwise. It'll be interesting to see how that works for the other factions and multiplayer, since before without the DLC they just had to lock out the faction. This time they have to be more specific.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Released the tier 4 minors for all factions mod, grab it on Steam if you're using any of the smaller ones since I'm going to delete those in a couple days. Also, looking into it the AI did need some prodding to get them to go that high on the settlement tree, since they had bounds set at the existing settlement tiers. Fixed that too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

Have you poked around in the diplomacy AI at all? I'm not familiar with it, but I'm sort of wondering how lovely it would be to modify the AI's willingness to become someone's vassal.

Not yet, no, but it's probably in the CAI tables somewhere, and I think I saw a diplomacy one when looking for building tables.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
actually ranged units shoot their max range on flying targets with no LoS penalties, so it's probably best to just shoot the gently caress out of them as they fly in. With the Dwarfs I used Gyros to lure VC flying units in front of my thunderers line, and bats tended to die instantly.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 9, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Has anyone tried the mod that lets you upgrade smaller settlements to higher tiers so you can build the higher-end buildings in more places? Does it feel like it negatively affects the overall game at all?

I actually make that mod, it shouldn't do anything too crazy since it takes a bit of growth to get to t4, especially for the dwarves since their baseline growth is significantly lower. I just added the ability for the AI to use them in the most recent one.

The only things it'll change is add a little to mid and late game economies and increase the odds AI armies have higher tier units in them, since they won't need province capitals to build tier 4 barracks.

Makes no changes to Chaos, Norse or Savage Orcs.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the Helm of Discord might be one of the stronger items in the game and quite possibly overpowered.

-15 armor, -36 melee defense -34 melee attack for 33 seconds in a AOE, recharges in 45 seconds after it wears off, but the catch is it only recharges while your in combat.

I'm not exactly sure what every point does and how much each point weakens the enemy percent-wise, but that's more then enough to lower most early game units to 0 in attack and defense and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be hitting anything or blocking anything with stats that low.

Tormentor sword is also unusually good, you get an AoE root effect that stops any unit in place, all the way up to charging chariots and fleeing Lords. If you time it right you can essentially stop the entire center of an army while charging for your gun line. Works best with dwarfs since they have the highest ranged damage, but good with empire too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Geisladisk posted:

Not confederating or conquering your neighbors and being friends with everyone definitely seems to be the best Empire strategy. I'm at like turn 40, Chaos hasn't begun to show up yet, and I've got Reikland fully upgraded, with access to Demigryff Knights, Reiksguard, Cannons, and Greatswords.

I allied myself with every empire faction which wanted it, and helped them out in each of their wars with their neighbors to make sure they won. I vassaled a couple of factions that were consistently being unruly. The end result is that I've got four or so Empire factions which are all friendly to me and each other, and each of them is doing great. When Archaon rolls up he's going to have a bad time.

I've got three full provinces (Reikland, Middenland, and the Bretonnia one right next to Marienburg), which seems to be enough to unlock all the units and get a really solid economy going, but still leaves me with not a lot of ground to defend.

The only Empire faction I conquered was Middeland, because gently caress you Boris.

What difficulty is this and what mods are you running? On very hard with the great power debuff there are very few people that will even trade with me, even throwing small gifts at them every couple turns. I'm not losing but I can't get that all done by turn 40 the couple times I've tried. Boris always gets help from Nordland and the turtles up in his capital, which wastes a ton of time while I get together a second stack and hope I don't get backstabbed by one of my other 6 neighbors randomly.

I don't know what it is but I'm having real poo poo luck, last time the loving dwarves to my south who were getting wrecked by VC decided to attack my settlements just for the hell of it while I'm fighting the Norse.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 9, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Hammerers feel kinda weak against Orcs or empire since the AI knows to focus them with ranged, but hey explode in usefulness against VC/Chaos.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
what they really loving need is an undo movement button before you end turn.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Fangz posted:

Ah okay, yeah I'd consider this an UI bug. It should just always show normal movement range.

Realistically it should show all 3 using different colors in layers, like how the UI can show multiple moves in different colors.

Also, forced could probably be taken away after an offensive action for no real loss once people adjusted. Sack should stay mostly free, and encamp should stay.

But seriously, they really need to allow you to reset your move if you haven't deselected an army. The number of times I've clicked incorrectly and burned an agents move points is kinda infuriating. Disable it if you march into an ambush or zone of control, but at least let me clear my clicking fuckups without having to constantly quick save.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 9, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Dwarf lords also get that sick ability to put down 15% attrition damage every turn in a siege, when arguably they need something like that the least.

Against a high level garrison and full stack defended town, that is like 400 casualties a turn.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Chomp8645 posted:

They should just give armies bigger zones of control. Half the reason AI armies are so annoying is it that it's basically impossible to impede movement in any way (besides an agent action). Hell you can be in the middle of a loving mountain pass and they'll walk right by you even without the underway. Zones of control are stupid small as may well not exist in the current implementation.

If you have an army parked in the middle of a road/pass it should be basically impossible for the enemy to just walk right around you without so much as slowing down.

I agree completely, but I think the issue lies with retreat ranges. If they don't actually get outside the zone of control when retreating, they cannot move the following turn. I've noticed it working this way when sieging certain towns, when you break siege you get that free movement because if you didn't you cannot move the next turn. It's a weird system and could probably be fixed in general. But yeah bigger zones of control would really solve the problem since then you wouldn't need to rely on tricking AI into ambushes to keep them from just walking casually around your giant army.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 9, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I have an idea for a mod:

Remember the watchtowers you could build in the old games to give you vision into other areas? I was thinking about those the other day and realized you could probably do something really cool along those lines with razed settlements.

Basically, when a faction clicks on a razed settlement they cannot use, they would get a prompt to build a watchtower. All this settlement option does is "claim" the zone and reveal its borders like you have a settlement there. It has no income or anything, and when an enemy attacks it they get to immediately raze it, like an undefended settlement.

The problems I see though are 1. I have no loving idea on how to actually accomplish this yet, and 2. I don't know how unbalanced it would be if it turned that land into friendly territory, which greatly increases replenishment speed. I bet I could apply modifiers to solve that problem though, along with extending the movement bonuses you get from the movement mod to these new "settlements."

I'm going to take a look at Dresdens settlement mods and see if I can flesh this out any further. I expect it to require messing with startpos, which I don't want to do at all :(

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 9, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

LGD posted:

It would completely change the Chaos campaign, but probably more in a quality-of-life rather than "this-is-unbalanced" way since it would make replenishment a viable alternative to merging units/dismissing the dregs/re-recruiting after every major battle. If you wanted an extra mechanical effect you could give each "watchtower" a small effect on provincial corruption, though this would probably be more for flavor than anything mechanically useful.

The problem I'm facing is how loving hard this actually going to be to get to work. There is a LOT of variables related to occupation, and I don't have an existing framework like Dresden did since I'm not just replacing the owner faction but creating an entirely new option for the settlement when you choose the appropriate prompt (which is going to be complicated as gently caress in itself). It'll be a loving miracle if I can get the framework in place to do this at all, but if I can it would be relatively easy to give the phantom settlement province traits.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

LonsomeSon posted:

Folks a couple pages ago were talking about Mazz's (awesome) tier-IV towns mod, so I figured I'd post some shots from my current Empire campaign.

:words:

Awesome, glad you enjoy it. Let me know if you think anything should be reworked (this is an open invitation to any of you). Some guy in the steam discussions is telling me you can't upgrade Altdorf past the vanilla limit and that the mod is bugged, I'm going to use your screenshot as a response.

EDIT: Actually I might just save that screenshot and use it in the mod description, since it's further along then any of my empire screens, if that's okay with you.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 9, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

Worked fine in Altdorf for me.

Yeah the most likely answer is he's just dumb and he capped his growth (it caps at 5 pop) and doesn't have the ~5k gold to actually upgrade the settlements.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mazz posted:

So I have an idea for a mod:

Remember the watchtowers you could build in the old games to give you vision into other areas? I was thinking about those the other day and realized you could probably do something really cool along those lines with razed settlements.

Basically, when a faction clicks on a razed settlement they cannot use, they would get a prompt to build a watchtower. All this settlement option does is "claim" the zone and reveal its borders like you have a settlement there. It has no income or anything, and when an enemy attacks it they get to immediately raze it, like an undefended settlement.

Update on this

So I was able to get this far. Basically you can colonize towns like the occupy anywhere mod, you just never get the settlement tree past the ruins. As it stands you get no income, it does reveal the map, it has no garrison, and it works to stop attrition while you are "garrisoned" there. Unfortunately public order is an issue, since you incur all the regular penalties of a settled province with no recourse yet.

GOing to see if I can build out on superchains or something and get this further along tomorrow.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 10, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

It's maybe not ideal, but I think you may as well just give it a large public order bonus. I mean, it still wouldn't be worth taking up an entire settlement slot in regions you could colonize with an actual town.

You probably need a garrison there, though, given how the AI is about attacking poo poo without one. Doesn't seem like it would be particularly imbalanced if you made them cost a little money.

I'm hoping I can extend a build chain off of the common ruins and then isolate them by superchains being tied to either Human or Orc settlements. Basically the Orc factions don't see the watchtower unless they are interacting with a human settlement type, etc. I hope if I get it perfectly right it sneaks by and won't crash since there will be no active conflicts. If that works out I can get creative and do all sorts of building effects, even making them cost upkeep. It's a long shot but it might be workable, gonna take a lot of trial and error though I assume since all the chain/superchain stuff is weird to me still. Also it may just not work at all since chains don't seem to use branches anymore (I thought they used to in Rome).

Also yeah I'm thinking I'll give them a shitload of passive public order, since there are no regions where you have both settlement types anyway. I'll want to see if I can hide UI elements or anything like that or change the dialogue prompt to not always use colonize and cost 2500g, but that's all still a ways off. I wasted a lot of time yesterday trying to figure out if I could change the underlying ruins and it seems to be hardcoded. Also figuring out exactly which tables I needed to make a new building chain that worked alongside the major/minor settlements was interesting, and by that I mean loving awful.

I wonder if you could change it with a script that triggers when you occupy, but thats outta my league.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

You could definitely have branching upgrades in Rome. I know that there are no branching upgrades in this game, but they may have left the functionality in? Might be worth testing if you haven't already; I believe it worked by defining multiple upgrade junctions. It's been a while, so I won't promise I'm remembering correctly, but I think superchains function as building categories and little else. The whole thing is sort of a mess.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it a little bit more, most of the functionality must still be in place since blank slots do have multiple building options.

Yeah, superchains still do that, but in set_to_superchain_junction I think you tie the superchains to the build slots in provinces, and orcs and humans have distinct choices. I'm hoping that if I can make a perfectly inversed chain, the game doesn't have any problem with it. All the major names cities also have distinct choices, which is tedious. Turns out this includes Talabheim which was in a super convenient spot in my test save, so I wasted like 40 minutes trying to fix crashes not realizing I never set that specific settlement :v:.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 10, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yeah, Legendary sounds like tedious difficulty more than anything else.

Reik posted:

Is there a mod that creates pseudo-Legendary with the better AI and other quantitative penalties but you can save the same and have a minimap and stuff.

Also, I feel like Very Hard just means "Now you have to build a Refectory in every province sucker!"

The difficulty for tactical battles peaks at very hard and you can change it during a campaign in one of the Esc menus. Legendary is quite literally just very hard with higher public order and income penalties, more passive AI advantages to income and growth, and some other awful bullshit I can't remember offhand.

Now that they changed the achievements to work with very hard as well as legendary there's very little reason to actually subject yourself to that anymore.

FWIW Legendary is the only difficulty that people complaining about the AI cheating is valid for though, because they are.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 10, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has anyone tried playing with the varientmesh files? I tried opening one I extracted with Tweak and it loaded kinda but without any of the assets.

Tweak is best used as a viewer to confirm things to then actually change in the PFM. The PFM is extremely more friendly to changing things since it's just handling it like spreadsheets and not a full blown database editor.

The variant meshes are in models.pack last I remember, and need to be "open as text". It's a lot less visual but but it reads like XML and is really straightforward.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 10, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Rakthar posted:

So the bold restriction of "You can conquer these holds but not those holds, because otherwise the campaign turns into a messy clusterfuck" is the compelling gameplay that we were lacking to push this series into blockbuster territory, there we go.

I find it neat enough but having played 3 different campaigns with it, when I tried another campaign to remove it, it seemed to create more dynamic battles. The border princes conquered a bunch of dwarf poo poo which meant that they started fielding real armies. After playing vanilla it seemed like a fun change.

My only comment here is there are very few factions that truly benefit, those right on the Human/Orc border, Border Princes being one of them. The rest are generally surrounded by provinces they can already use all the same.

Occupy everywhere does 2 things, as I've been looking at it hard for my watchtower mod. Opens up the superchains of settlements so you can settle in more places (based off the ruins and the settlement type), and spreads the occupation_decision fields to more factions. That's it. It's a good mod for what it does but idk how much improvement your seeing isn't just luck with AI choices based off the cai traits and where you were looking on the map. Also, no offense to Dresden, but the whole thing feels kinda sloppy, but partly because the system itself is convoluted and kinda weird.

Also, to the person that mentioned Zhufbar having special buildings for the VC, it's far more likely you've just never covered a province with iron as a resource before, since that's what provides it. There is no special chains for VC like that in the files, and Zhufbar is not a named location as far as the game notes, Karak Kadrin with the Slayer Shrine is though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
They really need a more direct route through Zhufbar to connect the two since the way it is isolates the factions too much. The Dwarfs don't even have to think about the north until like turn 75 unless you really want to.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

Once the Warriors of Chaos are gone how tedious would it be to run through the north in raiding stance sack-razing so I never have to see another nordling again? Can't be worse than the three laps I had to do as Chaos.

If you have like 4+ armies who work as a giant wave of death it probably won't be that bad, especially as the orcs and dwarfs who can just underway everywhere.

It's best done as a giant wave where you are sanitizing everything in one solid move.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My empire version of the tier 4 hit the most popular this week :toot:

Interesting it's still on that list because it hasn't existed for nearly 6 hours

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Deified Data posted:

So I'm playing Dwarfs on normal. I'm on turn 60 and all I've managed to do was take over Silver Road, Rib Peaks, and Blood River. On the plus side Grimgor is on the run and not really a serious threat anymore, but on the other hand Chaos has just invaded and I haven't even scratched the rest of the Badlands yet.

How tenuous is my situation? Should I restart? If so what should the Dwarfs top priority be early game?

Chaos will never gently caress with you south of Zhufbar. It takes serious commitment for them to actually get around the mountains to you. Just finish up the badlands and worry about the second Chaos event around ~100, theres a surprise in there for you.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There are definitely situations the auto resolve will give you favorable odds that you just can't match in actual play, but there are also a handful of fights you can win that auto resolve won't, so I guess it balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Coolguye posted:

I'd really like it if the Encamp button still let you move up to the 50% you can just so I could trudge my way through the northlands to eradicate the tribes without having to guess what 50% of my campaign movement is

Hold the right mouse button down while you drag the arrow, and look at the bar on the far bottom left near the portrait. The green part is movement left, the yellow part is consumed. Congratulations, you just fixed your problem.

• Locked thread