Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Every time I read about percentage reduction in build/unit costs I get this nagging feeling. Isn't a captain alone already 250 in upkeep? So you would have to recruit something like 1600 worth each turn to break even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fangz posted:

Yes, and you will easily surpass that. Think about it, your net income is normally several thousand each turn, and you spend all of that on *something*.

Yes, most of it on unit upkeep.:colbert:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fangz posted:

I said net income.

OK, let it be established that I can't actually read...

I still don't remember going much above 3k net income until late game. But I suppose I suck and anyway missions and loot also add to the total.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

We just need the ability to attach armies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Why not just let them recruit the normal chaos units once the invasion starts?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You could always get more steamtanks instead if you want to splurge.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

jokes posted:

I am all about getting real autismal about this game and this is how I view decisions on bringing wizards, based loosely on economics.

tl; dr: Wizards have a very low RoI compared to other units, and over the full course of a battle/campaign, a unit of similarly priced units will offer better value than a wizard. Don't bring wizards. Install Gejnor's magic mod, it makes wizards worth it.

Nah, the manpower value you use is fake precision. For one if you really want a one dimensional value for a unit you could use the gold cost. And that tells you little.
That here is the main point though:

Ze Pollack posted:

the key to why wizards are good is because they allow you to make/prevent breakthroughs that could not otherwise be made/prevented. you cannot pack a double-strength unit of greatswords into the space normally occupied by one unit of greatswords, but through the miracle of Flaming Swords, followed by a well-timed fireball to the heart of the target formation, you can punch a hole in an enemy formation that the second unit of greatswords would not have been able to. let alone the subtle, beautiful magic of taking a charging unit of heavy cavalry, hitting it with Net of Amyntok, and eating it alive.

You can't really look at the contribution of one unit in isolation in a game were moral effects stack and chain routes and flanking are a thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fangz posted:

This suggests a cunning (okay maybe rather stupid) strategy to get my army out of dodge.

Except the Lord is probably what you want to lose the least?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Should have more influence on growth. Your murdering your own peasants after all.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Luminous Cow posted:

Every naval battle in TW is awful and I'm glad it's not included on warhammer.

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, SFO renamed the Imperial Guard to the Emperor's Bodyguard and the Melee Tournament Knights to Foot Knights (Virtue of Empathy). Much better on both counts. Funnily enough, the most accurate name for super-elite heavy Empire infantry would be the Imperial Foot, which is the infantry arm of the Reiksguard order, but that would sound silly to modern ears I guess.

How would that be a bad thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

listen, not everyone is a cool guy like us who are familiar with 18th century military unit naming conventions

Nah, having strange, oldish and more than slightly ridiculous names for empire poo poo is what fits the best. Comes with the sily hats. So more people can discover how silly the 17th century really was.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

For all the time I spend lurking in this thread I put significantly less hours into this game than Shogun2. Sounds like game 2 will be a lot closer to what I wanted this game to be.

Edit: Meaning mostly more Age of Winder like stuff.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 24, 2017

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So Ungrim gets no new starting position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Skaven being able to settle anywhere and have them be stealth cities disguised as ruins seems pretty fitting and simple solution, there has never been a turn-based campaign map with a second underground layer that hasn't been terrible in any game it's been in.

I don't remember it being bad in Age of Wonders.
Edit: Talk about being slow.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 16, 2017

• Locked thread