Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, am I missing something or is Vlad just flat-out the better start for Von Carstein? Izzy's vampire weapon skill bonus isn't THAT great, and you get the melee attack and defense buffs regardless of whether you start as her. Meanwhile Vlad's starting army is just flat-out way better. Blood Knights and Varghulfs will tear apart the chaff the other VC factions throw at you. I don't even remember his campaign bonus, movement range? It doesn't matter, he doesn't need one. Plus getting his XP boosting skill ASAP is obviously worth it. Still struggling to find a use for bats. They die to fuckin war machine crews.

Vlad is indeed awesome but Isabella has a pretty great campaign bonus. Vlad gets +5% movement for all characters which is good, and Isabella gets +3 vampire limit AND +25% weapon strength to vampires. Vlad does have the better starting army, but each one can recruit the other by turn 2 so the other bonuses aren't as big a deal since you'd be insane not to have both ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That's true, but you can also turn them into melee murder machines which is what I do with the majority of them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

dead comedy forums posted:

god loving drat it norsca is such bullshit

edit: I had a turn 80 chaos invasion, earliest I ever seen, and sure enough skaelings with 2 full stacks of chaos chariots to annoy the gently caress outta me

My last beastmen campaign was one of the stranger ones I've played because for some reason the vargs and skaelings just decided to chill out at home and didn't really attack anybody instead leaving me and the WoC to do all the heavy lifting.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Beastmen are best played as a nuisance rather than as a 'real' faction. Are you ending your turns in the encampment stance? The normal movement stance gives you a chance to ambush somebody you attack, but it does not hide you at all. The moment you see some doom stack(s) headed your way you should just move elsewhere (75% move + encamp). Wait until two factions are at war and hit them at home when their armies are away. Keep in the back of your mind that other factions can accomplish your goals for you (greenskins, warriors of chaos, norscans, wood elves, estalia, border princes, etc)

Also, one thing I did in my last campaign was take the 'minus whatever turns siege and + attrition' blue line on my secondary general and then use him to siege walled cities with my main army in support. With the overall '-2 turns for sieges' tech you can attrition out a lot of walled cities pretty fast which is especially handy for fighting dwarfs since they get pretty powerful garrison troops.

The only thing I really hate about the beastmen is the long campaign objective of sacking 50 different cities. It takes forever, and it's easy to get locked out of it if the warriors of chaos are too effective (and/or the computer AI refuses to re-settle ruins). I think sacking 50 cities (total) would probably be a decent objective.

You can basically win the beastman campaign with just a mediocre army and a lot of time as long as the other factions don't destroy every city before you reach your 'cities sacked' goal. I like to spend a lot of time building up my horde and feeding on weak armies and towns before splurging for the -upkeep buildings once I have my base building requirements handled (full gor/ungor line, full mino line, bray shaman / cygor building, +armor buff buildings).

e: also like the other poster said gorebulls are insanely powerful so pick one of them. Massive buffs and excellent fighters make them one of the best heroes in the game. Every beastman lord gets insane buffs as well which really make them a strength (+20% weapons strength for the whole army? crazy). I tended to get assassinated a lot so it's nice switching to 2 LL led hordes when you get the chance since LLs can never be permanently killed even on critical assassination success.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 26, 2017

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Durthu's army also takes no attrition damage and wood elves are the only one who can settle Norscan settlements so it is satisfying as hell to march up north and smash the norscans down (which generally makes all other factions really like you too).

Not sure if he gets that if you start with Orion and confed him or whatever.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I hope they add a way to 'fix' bad traits for everyone.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

You can also abuse the hell out of enemy AI with the hawk riders you get for the garrison and win against pretty incredible odds. It takes a long time though and gets old fast. You basically fly them around avoiding ranged units while the bulk of your army hides in the woods until you split the enemy army up.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also it takes way too long for the dwarfs to get most of their agents.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

One minor thing that may have been cool/flavorful would be to have dwarf walls better protect characters inside against enemy agent actions, since they really are ridiculously vulnerable to agents (my Skarsnik campaign never had to face a dwarf LL because they were basically all assassinated the instant they appeared by an army of goblin assassins).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That's pretty cool. I like the tactical implications of some potentially uncontrollable units (reminds me of the old war dogs in rome).

The regen may end up being a good way to clown the dumb AI if it's too good though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I kind of like how RoR are currently one advantage the 'vanilla' races have against the fancier new races, but if I had to make a list of 'things that I think could be improved' they would be near the top of the last. I like the idea, but I really don't like the current implementation. I think at the minimum there should be a 3-5 turn or so cooldown on recruiting RoRs that have just been defeated or dismissed.

Top of the complaint list would probably be how public order revolts can currently be a great way to get money, experience, and magic items. Public order in general needs a revamp, both in mechanics and how the AI deals with it (it currently gets a large bonus depending on the difficulty setting and effectively doesn't have to deal with it, making any agents that reduce public order kind of pointless).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Onmi posted:

and also it's nice to not be screwed over because 10 turns ago you sent your stacks one way and then the enemy popped on the other end of the map a turn away from sacking a city. I don't know why people complain about RoR current mechanics, I like being able to instra-recruit a half-stack for a bunch of gold to protect a city I might otherwise have no way of saving.

It can become tedious when you have to take 10 dwarf strongholds and every turn they keep recruiting a half stack of RoR units into their armies (especially that RoR ironbreaker unit, f that guy). Also, even though like you said it's very powerful and useful for the player, you can just build walls and leave a token garrison army protecting your homeland from vikings, beastmen, and savage orcs popping up. Yeah it sucks to lose a settlement, but having an insta-half stack army anywhere really just helps snowball things for a faction with a lot of money.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

You can actually dismiss a RoR from an army on one side of the map and recruit the same army on the other side of the map on the very same turn.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Popete posted:

Started a Vampire Counts campaign, this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than the last two times I played both as Orcs. Maybe they made the game as a whole easier.

I think the VC have always been the 'easy' faction and it's generally who I recommend friends play as to start (if they can't decide). Vlad is even easier with the possible exception of the very early turns before you have a real city.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rookersh posted:

Is there a mod that lets you gift cities. I own most of Kislev and I'd rather have an actual functioning Kislev over these angry cities.

Finished cleaning up the VC/Ostermark, confederated Marienburg. Have 6 not great at all armies of varied Empire state troops heading up to Bechefen to do a last stand against Chaos. Thankfully the Ostermark AI built up the province so I can start building up my armies while we wait. Not so thankfully the VC held the lower city for a long time, so it's got nothing in it now and I'm forced to rebuild it entirely.

Bret and the Dwarfs are great friends of mine, but also still not willing to be military allies, so it looks like it's just me vs Chaos. :toot:

Worst case scenario is I pull back to Talabheim and let them sack most of the eastern Empire while fortifying Altdorf. Once Chaos dies off it should be relatively easy to reconquer the Empire I imagine.

Just set some traps with ambush mode armies next to settlements or other armies and you can usually split Chaos up into easily digestible chunks. If you have friends of any minor factions make sure to ask them to send armies up north because they often will.

Incidentally, it would be nice if you could ask your allies to help defend settlements or provinces. It gets annoying having a helpful ally give up and go home as soon as the targeted enemy army hides or goes into the fog of war.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

With only a little early game testing I am liking the changes to Warriors of Chaos a lot. Norsca seems fun too, though I'm still unsure if I should be confederating, subjugating, or razing other norse cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Heliosicle posted:

Hellblasters are hosed up in autoresolve, despite being generally rubbish. If I autoresolve against an army containing them (as norsca) they kill 5 or more infantry units every time.

Hellblasters are probably one of the most powerful artillery units in the game so I'm not sure what you mean by that. In general it's true that the AI puts too much weight into artillery for autoresolve, but that applies to everybody. It's also true that the AI generally sucks at using artillery and will almost always leave them to get destroyed by skirmishers while the rest of their army runs ahead.

• Locked thread