Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you guys spec out Thorgrim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thinking of starting another Dwarf campaign with Ungrim and downloading that Slayer buff on the workshop. Anyone running that? I want so much for Slayers to be good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

Which one? Theres like four or five of them! I even made my own that just raises the armour slightly :ohdear:

This one by GPM. I just sought out the highest rated one, but that doesn't mean it's the best. Gives them armor of 40, a boost to their charge bonus, and I think an upkeep reduction. I wouldn't mind looking at yours either, if you have it up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You guys make Greenskins sound so fun, but the one time I tried I just got absolutely poo poo on. Hell, even the loving AI makes Greenskins look fun when I got Grimgor'd on like turn 8.

Fight weaklings til you get a WAAAGH! and then steamroll every immediate threat - Dwarfs first among them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have never known the vampires to attack Mt. Gunbad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So how is a chaos player meant to be taking advantage of chaos corruption?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I like the feeling of missing out on certain building chains/techs/units/LL builds on any given playthroughs because it means that if I really like a faction I can just start another campaign for an almost entirely different experience. I like the progression of starting with chaff and slowly upgrading your armies. That feeling of progress is the entire reason I play campaigns like TW:W's.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

I'm currently 150 turns into an Orc campaign and i've got to ask, is this goon consensus?

I've let the dwarves keep some of their settlements, specially the big fortresses because sacking them gives you a garanteed 30k every 5 turns. I'm not sure how you can finance a proper orc army without constant sacking the stunties. the crappy 300+ gold treasure box economy item is terrible.

Do a prospect of Dwarven territory and see where they stash all their econ buildings and never actually conquer, just perma sack them for eternal gold and Lord XP

I had great success taking out the Dwarfs as a first priority, yes. The advantage of having a secure northern border really can't be understated. Virtually no one crosses the Silver Road from the north except Chaos.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would like a mod that reduces the AI's inclination to wall their cities - balance it somehow. More expensive walls for the player, bigger garrisons for the enemy. Just give me more actual fights on open ground. Playing Siege Autoresolve Simulator 2016 as Chaos is getting really, really old. I've never been more autoresolve-happy as I've been on this campaign, between subduing Horsca and having to attack every settlement twice to sack/raze it. I do not like Chaos on the strategic layer and I don't really know if I like them in battle because 100+ turns in I don't really know how they play.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Has anyone done an unit breakdown of the Chaos warriors, yet? I'm doing okay with marauders, chosen, forsaken and a bit of chaos spawn, but now I need to figure out what next to build. I can either go straight for giants, dragon ogres to unlock kholek, try out chaos knights, or go for hellcannons and pick up chariots along the way. Thoughts?

Go for hellcannons and keep the heavy infantry you have, they fair much better in autoresolve than the cool stuff and that's your primary weapon in the Chaos campaign.

Unrelated, but are Gorebeast Chariots bugged? They only have 33 upkeep while the normal ones have 100+...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished Chaos long campaign and I am SO HAPPY I won't have to do it again.

The winning strat seems to be ignoring the cool stuff in favor of spamming autoresolve with stacks full of heavy infantry. Fighting Horsca was actually the most fun part of the whole campaign, if that says anything. I never even recruited Archaeon, lol. The great Everchosen was off in his vacation home during the End Times, I guess. I never met Brettonia before they were defeated, and the Dwarfs had their poo poo pushed in by the Greenskins so by the time I got to them they were just a couple isolated settlements. The Empire employed their usual strategy of absorbing allies more powerful than they are halfway across the map right when you have their last settlement cornered and playing keep-away with their stacks who can't be ambushed because apparently Chaos shouts and screams everywhere they go.

Kholek is probably the best LL in the game that isn't broken, though. If a mod ever comes out that just makes the Chaos strategic layer like everyone else's (and removes everything that makes them tedious special, yes I know), I'm game for another go.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 18, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Laying siege to Castle Templehof on turn 11 took my 2 stacks full of zombies and skeletons 10+ minutes to complete with the framerate falling into the single digits..

Every once in a while I forget why I autoresolve all sieges and wonder if maybe I'm depriving myself of a fun, interesting aspect of the game. Then I do one manually and remember.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

First reply good second reply bad

(Chaos starts out fun but it's a stupid grind for the back third.)

That's the heart of it, really. Chaos was enjoyable for a while - Norsca wasn't even that bad and razing Kislev & neighbors was fun. It started out as a sort of puzzle to get the most ideal start possible to combat the enormous odds against you, but then you step out of your little bubble and the world's a hellhole of siege battles. By the time I wasn't having fun anymore, eliminating the Empire was my only remaining long victory condition so I completed it.

Of course it was optional and I could have quit at any time, but I want to see all the game has to offer and Chaos wasn't a highlight. :shrug: Maybe when it gets some decent mods.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

There are some already, the better replenishment mod makes playing Chaos not a slog, though in my own personal taste its too good, giving chaos hordes 30% replenishment when in encampment mode (apparently this makes them a beast when the AI plays them). Theres also a mod that removes the attrition from when you gather two or more chaos armies together but i don't use that one when i play Chaos since i do like that bit of flavour to the faction (the computer ignores this, of course).

With better replenishment in place it fell down to chaos not having good tools for skirmishers that made them feel not as fun as the other teams for me, personally.

Just out of curiosity have you tried the Chaos Dwarfs yet? I'm not even sure if the mod's complete yet, I just saw that it gave Chaos a decent ranged option.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So as VC what do you guys do after taking out Templehof and Schwartzwafen? I feel like I'm in a delicate diplomatic situation and I want to piss off as few people as possible.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Okay, so that leads into my second question - if I want my neighbors to have rebellions I just raid in their land to spread corruption, then? Does corruption spread from proximity to my settlements?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Running down fleeing units with war beasts is one of the most satisfying things ever. Especially Empire. "The gods have abandoned is!"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

I am running around with an army that is only consists of doom diver catapults, when i autocomplete the battles i win easily every time, but when i play manually i either barely win against easy opponents or lose.
Can anyone guess as to what the computer is doing right that i am not?

Nothing. Autoresolve just values some units above others arbitrarily, letting you autoresolve battles you have no business winning or losing battles you could have handily won manually.

Your Gobbo Kamikaze Airforce sounds awesome though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So as VC are you meant to take it slow and insidiously infect your neighbors with corruption before taking them over? I took over Stirland before corrupting it and combating the public order problems there was a huge 10+ turn ordeal.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a particular VC hero that's best at spreading corruption?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Should I throw my two Dwarf allies under the bus to avoid war with the Greenskins that'll probably happen anyway? Is it even possible to appease the Greenskins long-term as VC? They're the #1 faction at the moment.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Fight the Greenskins, IMHO. It's worth it long term, it helps your diplomacy, and dwarves are great for trading.

I guess I'll march a free stack south and do some razing while I wait for my corruption to grow. I might save-scum a bit and reload a save from a few turns ago so I can get a jump start on this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So can someone tell me how raise dead is supposed to work so I know if it's working properly for me or not? I have skeletons/skeleton spears/zombies/bats at any given moment, except for Templehof where I got some black knights from the huge battle I had there. If it was bugged I wouldn't be getting those units from the battlefield, right?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr. Wookums posted:

dunno if you're modding but I have never had this issue.

Well that's pretty much totalwarhammer.txt, it's described all 3 of the campaigns I've completed so far.

How do yours typically play out? I can't imagine any scenario where the AI would ever engage battles it doesn't have a huge advantage over and run from anything else. I have no aggressive agents and movement boost in owned territory installed, but that's it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

I'm convinced it is related to the Raise Dead bug, do you get those markers when you are playing VC?

I have one currently in Templehof, and it seems to be working.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

lovely, there goes my theory.

I typically play by Alpha strike. I move in and murder all settlements. They'll hole up in their provincial capital. I'll move my stacks to attack it at once.

Maybe they'll send a stack or two past my lines, ignoring zones of control, and sack a city.

But most of the time they are passive, even during war.

Yep, pretty much. What they try to to for me is run far away and resettle a ruin somewhere. Block army is easily the most important hero skill in the game, IMO. I don't even try to ambush anymore, I just spam block army and try to funnel them into a waiting doomstack.

I mean I still love the game and plan on playing indefinitely but good, heated battles on open ground are so rare. Using lightning strike is really the only way to catch a single full stack with their pants down.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
When the corruption building for VC refers to adjacent provinces does it mean it has to be adjacent to the borders of the city with the building or adjacent to the province housing the building? Would a corruption building in Schwartzhafen touch the borders adjacent to Templehof, for example?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

Your deployment is probably going to change every battle based on the exact composition of your army (including the condition of various units if any have taken serious losses in recent fighting), your opponent and their composition, whether you are attacking or defending, and the layout of the terrain you are fighting on.

Also turn off/on your autocorrect.

99% of battles are against near-identical garrisons, though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Noo why can't Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin be friends, you guys are supposed to be my buffer states.

Zhufbar keeps asking me to join their war but I refused. I'm on better terms with them than Kadrin but Kadrin seems stronger. Who's it more useful to have a buffer against as VC, the Greenskins or Chaos?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you guys deal with attrition on foreign soil as VC? I'm used to being able to roam enemy lands for long campaigns of conquest, encamping when I need to replenish, but as far as I can tell VC can only replenish in friendly territory. This makes harassing the Dwarfs and Greenskins kind of a nightmare. I can raid all the way to their settlements but eventually I'm going to need to heal my units. Are you expected to make up for the heavy attrition with raise dead? A couple skeletons and zombies per turn isn't really a good replacement for Grave Guards and Vargheists...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As VC at what point should you throw caution to the wind and just embrace being at war with all of your neighbors?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

Fourth Orc campaign complete.

Gonna try Dwarves next. Is the Grudge thing a huge issue on Normal difficulty?

Instead of being a dynamic, fluid system it's a perpetual public order and dwarf relations malus until you wipe out the Orc tribes and a bonus forever thereafter - your gauge should be full for the first half of the campaign and virtually empty for the second half, barring random bullshit ones like leveling an engineer. The only way to keep an empty gauge through the whole game is to basically ignore your goals and focus solely on settling grudges (i.e. playing keep away with enemy stacks that raid you for a turn and then run like the wind when you give chase).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
loving lol at Chaos not being initially at war with me as VC. Quick, how can I abuse this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

This will never go poorly!

I'm funneling money to Chaos and Greenskins both as a bribe to spare me and as a means of insidiously supporting their war efforts against the Empire and Dwarfs respectively. If supporting two bloodthirsty factions I happen to be sandwiched between has a way of blowing up in my face, I haven't seen it yet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

What unit are VCs getting? SKELLINGTON ARCHERS!?!?

Something that enables instant sieges whether it's a siege engine or not, please.

Is there a mod that just lets Varghulfs count as the battering rams that they are?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do factions become resurgent? This just happened to the Bloody Spears after getting wiped and now they're back again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd recommend downloading a Slayer buff to make Ungrim's starting bonus a bit more useful. It's a sin that Slayers are as bad as they are and it feels like a huge oversight.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Vampire Counts short victory complete at turn 124. I'll probably give them a break for now since the remainder is basically mopping up the ruined cities to occupy 20 provinces. I'd be lying if I said that would be trivial however, as I'm sandwiched between the world's 2 great superpowers with Skaeling in the north and Greenskins in the south. When I pick that save back up I'm going to start losing settlements very rapidly, I think. For you guys who went for the VC long victory did you have to eliminate them to get anything done?

Next campaign is Empire, also the last race I've yet to beat the game with. Their initial difficulty says normal but if the stories I've read are to be believed their start is arguably worse than Chaos. I've heard starting tips like go for Marienburg immediately and play nice with the neighbors. Skaeling attack is pretty much a restart, then?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What's everyone's opinion of the Varg/Skaeling nerf mod? Does it make things too easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Decided to pick up my VC campaign again after all - I don't like leaving it at a short victory unless the long terms are just stupid, like for Dwarfs.

The main Dwarf faction went down very early thanks to the Greenskins (who grew on my dime), so there's no one left to confederate them. Except now I'm reaping what I've sown with the Orcs continually knocking on my back door from Zhufbar. Welcome, new neighbors. Razing it and retreating back to Drakenhof seems to be enough to keep them at bay for now.

In the north I'm mopping up all of the remaining imperial provinces by following behind the Norscans (who I'm neither at war or peace with) and settling the ruins before their former owners can. Using another faction's blind aggression to my advantage feels very sneaky and appropriate for VC.

And I just saw a Top Knotz horde enter my territory? Since when were there non-Chaos hordes? How have I never seen them before in my Dwarf or Greenskin campaigns?

• Locked thread