Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reik
Mar 8, 2004

midge posted:

Is there a recommend Dwarf stack for taking on end game chaos? I'm trying to figure out the mixture of armour pierce vs front line sust

Are ironbreakers, thunderers, and cannons not getting it done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is there ever a reason to take Longbeards (Great Weapons) or Dwarven Warriors (Great Weapons) over Hammerers if you're not worried about upkeep? Would Longbeards be better on the flanks to help with morale issues caused by charging cavalry?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Playing zone defense is incredibly useful. You can base it off province borders to stop raiders or base it off settlements. For example, you don't need to sit in Iron Rock, just have it within your reinforcement zone (the red circle around your stack) if the enemy is one turn away from attacking it. Even if it's just an inch on the screen, now you can reach them easily and they can't reach the settlement without dealing with your main force.

If they aren't within reach of a settlement, you can hang out further away such that after your first retreat you become within range of the garrison if you don't want to fight them 1 on 1. This is more useful for keeping them from raiding. If you don't mind going 1 on 1 just set up so your regular move can get you back to the settlement in case other stacks show up from other directions.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 9, 2016

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Does the circle also show garrison range? I'm having some trouble getting a garrison to reinforce ambush parties.

If you select an army garrisoned it should show the reinforcement zone. I'll play with it when I get home and make sure.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mazz posted:

So I have an idea for a mod:

Remember the watchtowers you could build in the old games to give you vision into other areas? I was thinking about those the other day and realized you could probably do something really cool along those lines with razed settlements.

Basically, when a faction clicks on a razed settlement they cannot use, they would get a prompt to build a watchtower. All this settlement option does is "claim" the zone and reveal its borders like you have a settlement there. It has no income or anything, and when an enemy attacks it they get to immediately raze it, like an undefended settlement.

The problems I see though are 1. I have no loving idea on how to actually accomplish this yet, and 2. I don't know how unbalanced it would be if it turned that land into friendly territory, which greatly increases replenishment speed. I bet I could apply modifiers to solve that problem though, along with extending the movement bonuses you get from the movement mod to these new "settlements."

I'm going to take a look at Dresdens settlement mods and see if I can flesh this out any further. I expect it to require messing with startpos, which I don't want to do at all :(

All I want is to be able to park my lord in these watchtowers, gain vision, and not be able to be assassinated by an enemy hero. Having to march through VC territory as a dwarf with their stupid heroes following me the whole time and being unable to occupy their cities to avoid assassination is the worst thing in human existence ever.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well, I think I got the perfect dwarf army for campaign. 1 runesmith, 1 cannon, 2 thunderers, 4 quarrelers, 4 gyrocopters with brimstone guns and 7 iron breakers. And now I'm bored of it because every fight ends with like 20 casualties or less.

I think Ironbreakers are too good. Until I get them things are a little rough, but then it's just game over. Especially once I turn my forces towards the VC. The AI just seems to have no answer to them.

Also, any tips for dealing with the huge Scabby Eye stacks running around before turn 10 in the Dwarf campaign? Playing on Very Hard starting with Ungrim. I hate his starting units, but it's so much easier to get both LLs this way and I feel like if I can overcome his starting units it'll be better in the long run. Thinking I might spend a slot in Silver Road on the grudge thrower recruitment building early with Ungrim. Having issues with armoured Greenskins early on with miners as my only AP.

Also, I've almost exclusively used Quarrelers and am trying to learn Thunderers. Since their best targets will be engaged in melee, what's the best way to position ranged units shooting in to melee. Should I just run up the side and get behind them and start shooting them in the back? I usually keep my Quarrelers safely behind my Dwarven meat mountain.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Back To 99 posted:

If you have the standard gaps between your infantry squares the enemy will surround it, which gives a clear shot into their flank for your missiles without ever moving.

What setting do I need to put on my infantry squares so they don't de-square? Guard formation?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yeah, Legendary sounds like tedious difficulty more than anything else.

Is there a mod that creates pseudo-Legendary with the better AI and other quantitative penalties but you can save the same and have a minimap and stuff.

Also, I feel like Very Hard just means "Now you have to build a Refectory in every province sucker!"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Playing a Dwarf campaign on Very Hard right now and I have no clue what happened to them but I wiped out Greenskins by turn 23.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm finishing up my Dwarf Very Hard campaign now, just kind of going through the motions since I've cleared out the Greenskins and Chaos and VC are almost gone. I feel like I still play real sloppy though, so I was planning on doing another run and trying to finish in a lower turn count. I'm gonna be well in to the 200s for the long campaign victory.

This run I started with Ungrim and after I took silver road I started working on Karag Dorn/Iron Rock/Black Crag. Should I be working on Mount Gunbad and Grom Peak first? I feel like Zhufbar goes for those, but mount gunbad has a lot of +income buildings in it, so I could see that jumpstarting my economy, as well as letting me trade with Zhufbar and Karak Kidrin.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Triskelli posted:

Yeah I think the AI knows this too, Grimgor rolled up to one of my armies with like twelve Rock Lobbas and took my Dwarfs to town. Dwarfs may have a great Artillery game but you do not want to face someone that manages to out-artillery you. Dwarfs are in such tight formation and move so slow that they're perfect for target practice.

If you don't have a couple squads that can vanguard deploy I highly recommend auto-resolving those battles.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So, armies in forced March should not deny the area around them in movement. Got stuck behind marching orcs in a valley and since I couldn't get around them they could reach my settlements before I could and raze them, marching out of my normal stance reach.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How hard would it be to create a mod that didn't allow armies to enter forced march the same turn they attack and made it so armies in forced march do not deny the area around them for enemy army movement?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I know when you concede a battle it somehow plays out the rest of the fight instead of just sacrificing your remaining troops, so it must figure out how many make it out alive and such. Why can't we have that same option in addition to end battle? You can either end it and let them flee for some kind of diplomacy bonus or end it and they'll auto calculate how many guys you could've killed before they get off the battlefield. Kind of like execute vs release captives.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Triskelli posted:

Found some well-done mods that fluff out Slayers a bit more:

"All New Slayers"
Long Drong's Slayer Pirates

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but the All New Slayers is exactly how I hope Slayers get officially changed in the future. How foes CA go about implementing ideas that are similar to existing mods? Has that ever come up before?

I don't get why slayers are so much upkeep. I mean, they don't have any armor to upkeep, and it's not like you have to pay them, they have to be slayers since they took the oath. They fit more as cheaper lower tier units IMO.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
From the update

quote:

Campaign AI is now less likely to offer money and more likely to sign more alliances.

Seems like this would help the Empire the most? I wonder if it affects trade agreements.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is it worth it to hold Gossel as Empire for the commandment bonus, or should I just grab Marienburg for the sweet port and leave Gossel to burn? I keep upsetting the people that own Carroburg when I bounce back and forth between the two to stop the Skaelings from wrecking face.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

Gossel has a salt resource, but that salt comes from the tears of empire players that try to hold the place.

That's what I thought. Stupid Gossel.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

genericnick posted:

I think most of the problem with the dwarfs is that the game offers shiny prices for expansion north (Gunbad, Ungrim) while your main enemy is to the south. In the end you have a million fronts and a terrible logistic situation with the mountains splitting your realm.

His starting units are garbage, but picking Ungrim is amazing considering you can pick up Thorgrim after clearing 8 grudges out of your grudge book, which is a relatively easy task.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

Who cares? You get lovely campaign bonuses and have a worse starting army.

Ungrim is a monster on the battlefield, and being a slayer he never breaks so you can squeak out some close victories early on. By the time I'm pushing north and unlocking Ungrim I'm already in the cleanup phase of the campaign.

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 6, 2016

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Same. The only issue with VH Empire is that Skaeling/Varg gets retard strong if they're not getting constantly razed and sacked all along the coast. I've never been able to play a game as Empire without having a full stack or two running around razing their coastal cities to prevent doomstacks of full-gold dudes.

In one of my more recent VH Empire campaigns the Varg managed to wipe out the other Norsca factions and ended up with 19 settlements up north. That did not end well.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Miruvor posted:

If you run through the entire Empire red path (leadership tree?) you can grant +12 Melee attack/defense bonuses to all your major troop choices. Most other factions only get +12 attack/charge bonus. Fully trained, empire troops actually stack up pretty well compared to everything else out there, aside from dwarves/chaos.

The +12 melee attack/defense seems huge in the red tree, but what other points are well spent there? The ward save for Demigryphs and Steam Tanks seems really good but it only applies to late tier units that you don't always bring a bunch of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Considering the success of using other IPs in the Total War scheme, I am really looking forward to Total War: Pokemon.

• Locked thread