Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Perestroika posted:

On that note, how exactly do Melee Attack and Melee Defense interact? Since both stats tend to fall between 1 and 100 for almost every unit I'm tempted to think it might work through straight hit/miss percentages somehow, but I really have no idea. I can never tell whether it'd actually be worth it to buff a Lord's or Hero's Melee Attack up from 60-something, or if I'd already be running into diminishing returns at that point.

See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4m9sdw/how_melee_attack_and_defense_armor_and_damage/

There are diminishing returns, but you're very well rewarded for boosting melee attack and melee defense at basically all the reasonable values you'll see in game and they are stats you should be prioritizing highly.

Conversely, it is good to have armor but because of the way it and damage work (damage is static, armor absorbs a random amount of damage between 50% and 100% of its value, AP damage ignores armor entirely, momentum damage from charges is AP) most lords are not going to benefit much from taking extra armor as they've got enough to only take straight AP damage from most things, and its frequently not reasonable to get enough armor to significantly affect the few units with high enough normal damage to potentially surpass their armor values (and melee def/HP would offer better survivability boosts in both cases)

Actually that was based on old information, apparently armor is a randomized percentage based damage reduction that caps out around 200 Armor Value, so it may be that those +30 armor talents are actually quite good on everyone (though AP is still a thing obv)!

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fangz posted:

You seriously do not need a public order building in *every single settlement*. I strongly doubt you need a +growth in every city either, and the number of +growth you need actually scales entirely linearly with the number of cities you have and so the number of settlement upgrades you need to buy. There's no sense in which two +growth is required for a 2 city province and that's somehow also enough for a four city province that has double the number of settlements to build up.

This is wildly untrue because of the way province capitals and banked growth work. You can get the 1-2 population for rank 2-3 cities/towns very quickly and it will replenish almost instantly, but building up to the 4 and 5 population needed to raise capitals above rank 3 takes much longer even with multiple settlements because of the way scaling on banked growth works. If you've only got a single settlement providing +growth it potentially takes forever (though this is a bigger deal for Dwarfs than Humans due to how much of their roster is locked away at tier 4 and 5).

You also don't need a public order building in every settlement, but you do need at least one in every province and sometimes more depending on difficulty/location. Two city provinces absolutely have issues building infrastructure compared to 3-4 city provinces.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zephro posted:

I've never tried a Radious mod so maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but surely this defeats the point of having very different factions? Dwarfs are explicitly designed not to have cavalry, for instance...

hey, the gyrocopters are kind of like Dwarf cavalry

which is honestly one of the biggest issues I have with the Dwarfs, too much of their roster is locked away behind very inflexible Tier 4 and especially Tier 5 buildings, including most of the more interesting and game changing units, so you hardly get to play with them before you finish things up

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mazz posted:

The Dwarfs would probably benefit a lot from a turn timer reduction on the higher tier of buildings. Waiting 5-6 turns AFTER you had to wait for the proper growth means you get these units incredibly late in comparison to most. Like I had reikland almost maxed out by turn 60, whereas the Silver Road didn't quite finish until like turn 90.

This includes my tier 4 settlements though, which admitted eat up even more growth time. That being said, Reikland was almost maxed out by turn 60, with the same tier 4s.

I had more or less the same experience in my game, which given that I won the short campaign on turn 98 (and long campaign not long thereafter when I resettled the northern Dwarfholds and made an extra alliance) didn't really leave me time to build the cool units or anyone to use them on if I had

The extra settlement in the Reikland made hitting tier 4 significantly faster and you basically just need that + menagerie to unlock all of your core units, which you can likely do in the 40's- you've still got some fun gimmicks to look forward to but nothing that's going to dramatically change how you play, and army composition is more a matter of economics where you can make considered tradeoffs than needing to wait X turns while your resources just pile up

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 8, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

For Ironbreakers, there's the issue of when would you ever rather have pistols (no matter how buffed) instead of blasting charges? They don't need more short range anti-charge damage. But I do agree that pistols need buffing, Pistoliers are absolute garbage

They'd be OP as poo poo if their damage wasn't garbage though. How would Chaos as currently constituted (for example) possibly deal with a light cav unit that can shoot appreciable amounts of AP damage in a 360 degree circle?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

Checkerboard with rifles -- your units are thick enough to brace most charges so spears can do work, and rifles pretty much melt their knights.

Also consider upgrading from men with pointy sticks to men with sticks that have a sweet can opener attachment (Halberds).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mazz posted:

So I have an idea for a mod:

Remember the watchtowers you could build in the old games to give you vision into other areas? I was thinking about those the other day and realized you could probably do something really cool along those lines with razed settlements.

Basically, when a faction clicks on a razed settlement they cannot use, they would get a prompt to build a watchtower. All this settlement option does is "claim" the zone and reveal its borders like you have a settlement there. It has no income or anything, and when an enemy attacks it they get to immediately raze it, like an undefended settlement.

The problems I see though are 1. I have no loving idea on how to actually accomplish this yet, and 2. I don't know how unbalanced it would be if it turned that land into friendly territory, which greatly increases replenishment speed. I bet I could apply modifiers to solve that problem though, along with extending the movement bonuses you get from the movement mod to these new "settlements."

I'm going to take a look at Dresdens settlement mods and see if I can flesh this out any further. I expect it to require messing with startpos, which I don't want to do at all :(

It would completely change the Chaos campaign, but probably more in a quality-of-life rather than "this-is-unbalanced" way since it would make replenishment a viable alternative to merging units/dismissing the dregs/re-recruiting after every major battle. If you wanted an extra mechanical effect you could give each "watchtower" a small effect on provincial corruption, though this would probably be more for flavor than anything mechanically useful.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gitro posted:

I have two hordes taking infighting attrition. They are sieging two different cities. The cities are separated by a river. That's dedication.

What is even happening there? Is Sigvald taking potshots with the hellcannon while the other lord flies over on his dragon and cracks some heads? Pay attention to the job you're there to do.

they keep trying to "prank" the other army but drown while trying to swim across the river

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rakthar posted:

Ah well that's more decent than I thought. For me to use it more I think it would need to last more than 5 seconds. As it is, you can basically 'counter' an enemy unit with your own poison unit, but only as long as it can keep shooting. If charge bonus lasts 30 seconds, I think I'd like to see this be 15. Or something like that.

It'd potentially be pretty OP and obnoxious if it lasted 15 seconds though, because that actively encourages you to micro each poison archer unit to retarget after every attack as they could keep 2-3 enemy units crippled simultaneously. That's a huge return on investment (both unit wise and for properly autistic APM/animation monitoring) and not something that has much, if any, counterplay. Much better to keep poison something that a single unit can only consistently keep applied to one foe at a time.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yukitsu posted:

Hey, glad the advice helped. The game needs a bit of fixing though, hope they don't change so much of it that I need to completely redo faction vids but at the same time, the multiplayer is a bit of a cheese fest.

So they did perfectly capture the spirit of the tabletop game then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fargom posted:

Did Dwarves always get gyrocoptors so early? I didn't realize they were on the same tier as the cannon and thunderers, unless this just changed. Either way it's rad to have ~10 of them in a secondary army following around my main stack.

No, that was changed in the recent major update. It's a really good change, Dwarves used to have wayyyyy too much stuff locked up at the highest tier, to the point that you might never get to use any of it before the completion of a typical campaign.

• Locked thread